Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

MoAlpha 08-12-21 07:54 AM

I can't believe anyone would spend a minute of their tragically short life maintaining or even thinking about grass.

On another subject, snotty roadies who won't wave are one thing, but just wait until some gink decides to make you his riding buddy and talks to you for 10 miles!

LAJ 08-12-21 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22181293)
I can't believe anyone would spend a minute of their tragically short life maintaining or even thinking about grass.

On another subject, snotty roadies who won't wave are one thing, but just wait until some gink decides to make you his riding buddy and talks to you for 10 miles!

That's where dialing it up and droping comes in handy.

Velo Vol 08-12-21 08:29 AM

Whoa, #GrouchAlert

Velo Vol 08-12-21 08:29 AM

Time to mow.

MoAlpha 08-12-21 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22181308)
That's where dialing it up and droping comes in handy.

I did push the hills a bit, which worked temporarily, but I didn't want to be overtly rude or spoil my plan for an easy commute.

indyfabz 08-12-21 08:35 AM

Uh....Say what now? Cuddebackville, NY. On a Monday. Not going to happen. I can stay up the road for half that. $50 if I want a riverfront site.

Individual Tent Site, No Hookups, Grass Tent Pad Forested Tent Site

VIEW DETAILS
RESERVE
KOA Select My Site (+$20.00)
$81.00 avg/nightUp to 6 people.
  • Individual Tent Site
  • No Hookups
  • Grass
  • Pets Allowed
Save 10% at check out with KOA Rewards.

Cancellation Guideline

LAJ 08-12-21 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22181355)
I did push the hills a bit, which worked temporarily, but I didn't want to be overtly rude or spoil my plan for an easy commute.

Understood. Some days are just more different than others. Embrace the inner nice guy, and consider his day made.

WhyFi 08-12-21 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22181364)
Embrace the inner nice guy, and consider his day made.

There are days when I don't have one of those. Those days aren't necessarily infrequent.

ksryder 08-12-21 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22180363)
I did quite a few MUP miles today, and zero flybys. :(

#ripflybys

I've talked about this elsewhere but yeah, RIP flybys. I understand why they nerfed them but I wish there would've been a more elegant solution than what they did.

Semi-related, because I don't care about leaderboards I pretty much turned on all the privacy settings but I think it's dumb that if you want privacy you can't be on leaderboards.

big john 08-12-21 08:44 AM

OMG there is a guy in my club who does that. He's kinda Asperger-y in that he doesn't get social ques, doesn't know when to shut up and drones on about medical problems in his family or pets. Also, quite humorless. One time he was going on about his dog's bodily functions and I said "You're grossing me out" but he kept on.

He's 50 pounds lighter than I am so it's on long climbs that I become his target. He's not a bad guy in small doses.

datlas 08-12-21 08:46 AM

We have a guy like that. He won't shut up. I think he should have been a NYC cab driver. We put up with him but I usually dial it up to 200W to shut him up if he starts chewing my ear off.

genejockey 08-12-21 08:47 AM

Checked the tracking on my new pedals from PBK:
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c76f367a70.jpg

"Oh, Lord! Stuck in Lodi again..."

MoAlpha 08-12-21 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22181389)
We have a guy like that. He won't shut up. I think he should have been a NYC cab driver. We put up with him but I usually dial it up to 200W to shut him up if he starts chewing my ear off.

We have two guys like that. Both are faster than I am. :(

genejockey 08-12-21 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22181382)
OMG there is a guy in my club who does that. He's kinda Asperger-y in that he doesn't get social ques, doesn't know when to shut up and drones on about medical problems in his family or pets. Also, quite humorless. One time he was going on about his dog's bodily functions and I said "You're grossing me out" but he kept on.

He's 50 pounds lighter than I am so it's on long climbs that I become his target. He's not a bad guy in small doses.

Sounds like my BIL. He was there this weekend. He has no grasp of the concept of "Companionable Silence". First thing in the morning, all most of us want to do is relax, suck down our caffeinated beverage of choice, and stare out at the back yard. Then he comes in and starts talking.

And talking.

And talking.

WhyFi 08-12-21 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by ksryder (Post 22181377)
I've talked about this elsewhere but yeah, RIP flybys. I understand why they nerfed them but I wish there would've been a more elegant solution than what they did.

Semi-related, because I don't care about leaderboards I pretty much turned on all the privacy settings but I think it's dumb that if you want privacy you can't be on leaderboards.

Yeah, we've commiserated about the (effective) demise of FlyBy. :(

In terms of leaderboards and privacy, I can understand it - you should be able to see the specific ride that bumped you down the board. Leaderboards are littered with rides that shouldn't be there, like folks forgetting to stop an activity before getting in to their car or even those that are intentionally cheating and recording rides in vehicles (there's a dude in my area that does this in binges, recording several "rides" over the course of two weeks, then taking a three month sabbatical until doing it again; I don't understand people like this, but they exist).

WhyFi 08-12-21 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22181389)
... but I usually dial it up to 200W to shut him up if he starts chewing my ear off.

So you get him to ride off the front? :foo:

:p

big john 08-12-21 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22181393)
We have two guys like that. Everyone is faster than I am. :(

fifm

There is another guy who doesn't talk as much, but can be quite annoying when he does talk. None of the women like him because he's creepy around them. One even told him he was creeping her out. He looked down on me, I guess because he could drop me in the hills. (He's probably 140 pounds). Then last year he had a crash and he's different now. He actually speaks to me as if we are friends and seems less creepy around women.

I don't really care, I'm not going to dinner with him, but it's interesting that he has morphed a little.

genejockey 08-12-21 09:14 AM

So, as kind of a coda for our get-together at The Ancestral Home, one of my sisters had a seizure at the Philadephia airport, waiting for their flight back to Florida, and has been in the hospital since, while they figure out why. Initial observations were very high BP, and very high blood sugar, and now she's been diagnose with previously undiagnosed hypertension and diabetes. She lost 50# in the last 2 years, mostly diet, but now I'm wondering whether the diabetes was part of it, too. She's just a couple years older than me. I'm a little curious how you get to that point undiagnosed, unless you've been avoiding doctors.

datlas 08-12-21 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22181404)
So you get him to ride off the front? :foo:

:p

Hey, when you are as light as me, even though my watts are puny, I make up for it in the denominator in W/Kg.

MoAlpha 08-12-21 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22181426)
fifm

There is another guy who doesn't talk as much, but can be quite annoying when he does talk. None of the women like him because he's creepy around them. One even told him he was creeping her out. He looked down on me, I guess because he could drop me in the hills. (He's probably 140 pounds). Then last year he had a crash and he's different now. He actually speaks to me as if we are friends and seems less creepy around women.

I don't really care, I'm not going to dinner with him, but it's interesting that he has morphed a little.

Big TBIs often cause personality change.

Stories like that remind me how much I like riding with a small, neighborhood, club.

MoAlpha 08-12-21 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22181396)
Sounds like my BIL. He was there this weekend. He has no grasp of the concept of "Companionable Silence". First thing in the morning, all most of us want to do is relax, suck down our caffeinated beverage of choice, and stare out at the back yard. Then he comes in and starts talking.

And talking.

And talking.

Terrible thing, especially in an in-law.

MoAlpha 08-12-21 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22181431)
So, as kind of a coda for our get-together at The Ancestral Home, one of my sisters had a seizure at the Philadephia airport, waiting for their flight back to Florida, and has been in the hospital since, while they figure out why. Initial observations were very high BP, and very high blood sugar, and now she's been diagnose with previously undiagnosed hypertension and diabetes. She lost 50# in the last 2 years, mostly diet, but now I'm wondering whether the diabetes was part of it, too. She's just a couple years older than me. I'm a little curious how you get to that point undiagnosed, unless you've been avoiding doctors.

Top guesses would be "encephalopathy" from the uncontrolled BP and glucose or all of that following on a small embolic stroke. Not a wonderful picture either way. Sorry to hear.

genejockey 08-12-21 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22181446)
Top guesses would be "encephalopathy" from the uncontrolled BP and glucose or all of that following on a small embolic stroke. Not a wonderful picture either way. Sorry to hear.

CAT scans and MRIs showed nothing ("They scanned your brain and found nothing?"), but the EEG made them put her on antiseizure meds.

big john 08-12-21 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22181434)
Big TBIs often cause personality change.

Stories like that remind me how much I like riding with a small, neighborhood, club.

Yes, I've seen the results of TBI personality changes but I don't think that was the case here. He hasn't been riding very long, maybe 5 years, and I think he got that invincible feeling. "Hey, I joined this club and I can ride with the fast guys". Crashing and getting injured might have brought him back to earth a little. He's almost as old as I am, so there's that.

MoAlpha 08-12-21 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22181458)
CAT scans and MRIs showed nothing ("They scanned your brain and found nothing?"), but the EEG made them put her on antiseizure meds.

Yeah, not surprised, but negative imaging is good.