Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

NormanF 07-20-14 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by jjhabbs (Post 16957956)
If you cant tell by the picture its a Superbe.

It was the top of the line in Raleigh's Sports hierarchy. The finest utility bicycle money could buy back in the day.

jjhabbs 07-20-14 08:47 PM

I'm learning. This one just fell into my lap.

SCOe 07-21-14 04:25 AM

1957 Elswick Hopper - Invincible "Modele de luxe"

1 Attachment(s)
I saved this one from the rusted heap that it was, did it up, and gifted it to my mum who loves it. Another one converted :)

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=394401

GordoTrek 07-21-14 06:39 AM

awesome save, is elswick a local aussie brand? i've never heard of them... looks sweet!

GordoTrek 07-21-14 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by jjhabbs (Post 16958084)
I'm learning. This one just fell into my lap.

i have the same color in a sports model, yours is amazing.. great catch.. how did you get it ? do you have the key for the fork ?

JohnDThompson 07-21-14 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by GordoTrek (Post 16958848)
awesome save, is elswick a local aussie brand? i've never heard of them... looks sweet!

British:

Ellswick Hopper Bicycles, main

GordoTrek 07-21-14 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 16958951)

thanks for the tip...

jjhabbs 07-21-14 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by GordoTrek (Post 16958856)
i have the same color in a sports model, yours is amazing.. great catch.. how did you get it ? do you have the key for the fork ?

The Bike belonged to my young neighbors father inlaw. He was going to bring it to Good Will...My neighbor said that he knew a guy into bikes and would show it to me. He said just pay him what ever you think is fair..wow. just fell into my lap. Honestly. I knew I wanted a vintage Raleigh 3speed but didn't know much about them. Looks like I found a good one. Nope. I do not have the key.

Thanks

Sixty Fiver 07-21-14 10:37 AM

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikepics/eliza%20(2).JPG

arex 07-21-14 12:21 PM

What's the story on that basket? Looks like a good one.

SCOe 07-21-14 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by GordoTrek (Post 16959059)
thanks for the tip...

Yeh I'm not sure how it made it out to Australia. I trawled the net and you can only find a handful of pictures of them. From what I understand old Aussie bikes of this era would have 'curved in' handlebars so that they were parallel with the tubes... but that is my thinking.

Schwinnsta 07-21-14 08:57 PM

There is an interesting bike on our local Craigslist, a Raleigh Courier. Raleigh Courier The last thing I need is another bike. I can't remember seeing one of these before. It appears to be at least a 23".

GordoTrek 07-22-14 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta (Post 16961759)
There is an interesting bike on our local Craigslist, a Raleigh Courier. Raleigh Courier The last thing I need is another bike. I can't remember seeing one of these before. It appears to be at least a 23".

looks like an 80's variant.. interesting, any cool features?

Salubrious 07-22-14 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by jjhabbs (Post 16959284)
The Bike belonged to my young neighbors father inlaw. He was going to bring it to Good Will...My neighbor said that he knew a guy into bikes and would show it to me. He said just pay him what ever you think is fair..wow. just fell into my lap. Honestly. I knew I wanted a vintage Raleigh 3speed but didn't know much about them. Looks like I found a good one. Nope. I do not have the key.

Thanks

Keys on ebay- here's the link: NGN FP Raleigh Bikes Bicycles Original Cut Fork Lock Keys | eBay

Tip: don't leave the key in the lock when riding. Really bad things happen.

jjhabbs 07-22-14 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 16965294)
Keys on ebay- here's the link: NGN FP Raleigh Bikes Bicycles Original Cut Fork Lock Keys | eBay

Like..what?

Salubrious 07-22-14 09:47 PM

^^ the mechanism is designed to stay put, fork either locked or unlocked when the key is removed. When the key is present you can operate the lock of course, but if you leave it in the mechanism is freed to move and it can engage the lock on you while you are riding. If it does that you fall off the bike immediately. Its not fun. So always remove the key- its quite unlike a Schwinn locking fork in this regard!

Sixty Fiver 07-22-14 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by arex (Post 16960023)

It came with the bike and was bought locally... it suits the bike rather well and is wire mesh in a nice frame.

The rack / stand is Dutch.

wahoonc 07-23-14 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by arex (Post 16960023)

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 16965486)
It came with the bike and was bought locally... it suits the bike rather well and is wire mesh in a nice frame.

The rack / stand is Dutch.

Looks like a Basil I like the racks with the fold down wheel stand too. I bought one for my Tourist from Dutch Bike Bits. Haven't had a chance to install it yet...

Aaron :)

noglider 07-23-14 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by jjhabbs (Post 16959284)

Thanks

It was about 35 years ago when I noticed how Rudges were even more handsome than Raleighs, and I told myself that I'd like to own a Rudge. 30 years later, I finally spotted one and acquired it. I was very lucky.

It lives in FL now, at my mother-in-law's place so I'll have something to ride.

JohnDThompson 07-23-14 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 16965294)

Originally Posted by jjhabbs (Post 16965342)
Like..what?

Road vibrations can make the key turn in the cylinder and lock the steer tube while you're riding.

PalmettoUpstate 07-25-14 01:08 PM

1937 Raleigh Sports on Boston Craigslist right now. I've gotta get out of here on an errand; maybe someone can grab pics and post them...

I'll try to do so this evening when I'm at a more capable computer...

1937 Men's Raleigh Sports 3-speed 23" frame

arex 07-25-14 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate (Post 16974069)
1937 Raleigh Sports on Boston Craigslist right now. I've gotta get out of here on an errand; maybe someone can grab pics and post them...

I'll try to do so this evening when I'm at a more capable computer...

1937 Men's Raleigh Sports 3-speed 23" frame

Wow...that's pretty cool, and not terribly pricey.

wahoonc 07-26-14 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by BGBeck (Post 16975535)
Would this be a good candidate for conversion to 3 speed?
Raleigh Record Ace Mixte Free Pick Up Nottingham New England | eBay

It would, but I think it is kind of pricey.

loubapache 07-26-14 07:03 AM

I just picked up a 1963 Hercules from a yard sale on the way home. I was not even looking for one but saw it from the road. It has one of these high and funny looking chain guard.

It was left outside for many years so most of it are too far gone. However, I was able to strip it all the way down to pieces without a fight. The cotter pins even came out without me even using the press.

The frame is all right; the fork crown chrome and headset parts are all good; bottom bracket (with an oiler hole) is tight but looks OK if overhauled. With an overnight bath of OA, the cranks, handlebar, chainring, ets all came back to very acceptable conditions. The AW hub is a bit tight now but I plan to overhaul it. The shifter moves freely after some WD40. The shifter cable is broken, however.

The worst parts are the fenders. Pretty rusted but no holes.

I am thinking to built it up as a fixie. I have a set of 27" wheels and they fit the frame (without the fenders) fine with the 27x1-1/4 tires.

Not too bad for the cost of a meal.

NormanF 07-26-14 08:23 AM

A new hub - 5 speed Sturmey Archer or 7 speed Shimano Nexus would give you a wider range gearing than the old 3 speed hub. Drum brakes would provide reliable all weather stopping power. And some pretty Honjo hammered fenders would really bring your Hercules back to life.

loubapache 07-26-14 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, NormanF. Where I live (ride), a 3-speed is more than adequate and I love these old AW hubs. Have quite a few now.

I always like non-rim brakes. Took a trip to China this year and they have many bike share programs. These bikes have rear drum brakes. I should have bought some hubs there but I did not.

What is a good front drum brake hub for these English 3-speed bikes with narrow front spacing? Most of the new ones are spaced at 100 mm and there might be a way to narrow then by remove spacers but I have not seen one.

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...p;d=1406386908

NormanF 07-26-14 09:19 AM

Harris Cyclery should have front and rear drum brakes. The only drawback is they add a modest amount of weight to the bike but they have two advantages - they get around the issue of brake reach and they give the bike a cleaner look.

The AW hub is serviceable and you can get a new cable for the shifter but for me personally, the new generation of IGHs offers more range and the hub is lighter and stronger than those that came with the original 3 speed bikes. Your Hercules can run on 700 C, but be aware than the largest tires than can be mounted under fenders are 32 C. There is a greater tire choice available in a 700 C wheel set than in the 27".

wahoonc 07-26-14 12:16 PM

Just added this one to the collection...

1950/51 Shelby Traveler by Hercules, pretty much all there and in decent condition considering it has been sitting in an garage in the Deep South for the past 50 years.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3891/...68b69952_c.jpg

loubapache 07-26-14 09:10 PM

These old AW hubs are amazing. The one on the 1963 Hercules was frozen. After some WD40 on the ball ring, I took the whole assembly out of the hub shell and soak it in mineral spirits. Fifteen minutes later, everything was moving and I can see globs of old grease loosening up. Other than a small fumble with one of the paw springs (had to use a magnet to detect that light land mine), this old AW is back to running condition. I saw Niagra restocked the 40 hole SUN CR18 rims so I have one coming to lace this one up.

noglider 07-26-14 09:28 PM

Drum brakes are also the most reliable. They go more miles between services than any other type.

And yeah, the AW is amazing. I still love working on them except for finagling the pawl springs in. As you experienced, bringing them back to life is a very rewarding experience.