Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Strava is GREAT....til it ISN'T (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1182343)

Ronno6 08-28-19 03:14 PM

Strava is GREAT....til it ISN'T

Syncing ride data from Garmin Connect to Strava is usually painless.
Connect your Garmin unit to the computer, and it does the rest.
Strava provides a host of interesting ride analysis.
All is well, til you make a mistake while adding notes,etc.
Once you hit that "SAVE" button, it is etched in stone....NO editing or amending possible.

Then, if you delete that ride....it's gone..FOREVER !!
You can manually enter SOME ride data, but maps and analysis cannot be be retrieved.

Period............

Elvo 08-28-19 03:26 PM

Just reupload it from Garmin Connect

shelbyfv 08-28-19 03:29 PM

There are some things you can edit. For example, if you forget to "finish" and it records your drive home. Plus anything you've written or added, like photos, can be edited.

Ronno6 08-28-19 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Elvo (Post 21096903)
Just reupload it from Garmin Connect

I just tried that....no success....
Strava will queue you that yu have a new ride ready for viewing, then say that it cannot be found.

Ronno6 08-28-19 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 21096915)
There are some things you can edit. For example, if you forget to "finish" and it records your drive home. Plus anything you've written or added, like photos, can be edited.

That can do wonders for your average speed....

downhillmaster 08-28-19 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ronno6 (Post 21096880)
Once you hit that "SAVE" button, it is etched in stone....NO editing or amending possible.

You can manually enter SOME ride data, but maps and analysis cannot be be retrieved.

Period............

You make a mistake and you lose some data.
Life goes on :thumb:

Troul 08-28-19 06:07 PM

As long as those tps reports are not compromised, everything is grand.

Milton Keynes 08-28-19 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 21097161)

Just make sure you use the right cover sheet. I'll send you the memo.

Metieval 08-28-19 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ronno6 (Post 21096880)

Period............

download or export the tcx file to your computer from garmin connect, then upload that tcx file to strava manually.

teejaywhy 08-28-19 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes (Post 21097202)
Just make sure you use the right cover sheet. I'll send you the memo.

Yeah... and I'm going to need you to go ahead and come in on Saturday...

teejaywhy 08-28-19 07:24 PM

I did my first ride with my new Garmin 830 on Sunday. Have it set up to automatically sync to Strava.

Anyway, just opened the ride in Strava and pressed the Edit button (pencil) and it would seem I can modify the title, description, sport, ride type, add tags, bike... add/delete photos... Not sure what the OP is wanting to edit?

JanMM 08-28-19 08:19 PM

Forgot to take my Garmin Edge 200 to a club ride last weekend. (Rare event) Had to manually enter the distance into Garmin Connect but no auto load to Strava. I got over it.

Jeremiesmith77 08-28-19 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Metieval (Post 21097213)
download or export the tcx file to your computer from garmin connect, then upload that tcx file to strava manually.

+1... this works!

eja_ bottecchia 08-28-19 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by teejaywhy (Post 21097244)
Yeah... and I'm going to need you to go ahead and come in on Saturday...

Good grief, there are supervisors in my office just like that character. The funny thing is, they don’t see themselves in that caricature. :roflmao2:

TimothyH 08-28-19 09:26 PM

You get what you pay for.

I pay nothing for Strava.

-Tim-

Trsnrtr 08-29-19 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 21097161)

Quality. :thumb:

Trsnrtr 08-29-19 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Metieval (Post 21097213)

This.

When I have a glitch, I connect my Garmin to the desk/lap top and open the activities file on the garmin and grab the TCX file for the day and then do a manual upload.

Easy, peasy and Bob's your uncle. :thumb:

MikeyMK 08-29-19 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by downhillmaster (Post 21097029)
You make a mistake and you lose some data.
Life goes on :thumb:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e65a31383c.jpg

Ronno6 08-29-19 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by teejaywhy (Post 21097255)
Anyway, just opened the ride in Strava and pressed the Edit button (pencil) and it would seem I can modify the title, description, sport, ride type, add tags, bike... add/delete photos... Not sure what the OP is wanting to edit?

I had done all that, as I typically do.
I wanted to edit or delete the "Indoor Training" tag, but somehow that tag got applied and the resulting display was heart rate only...no map, etc.
I was not able to edit after that, so deleted the activity and tried to start again...with no luck.

I will try the file download/upload as suggested.

boozergut 08-29-19 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ronno6 (Post 21096923)

How else am I supposed to get some KOM honors???

Kabuki12 08-29-19 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ronno6 (Post 21096923)

You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead!

gregf83 08-29-19 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Ronno6 (Post 21097791)
I had done all that, as I typically do.
I wanted to edit or delete the "Indoor Training" tag, but somehow that tag got applied and the resulting display was heart rate only...no map, etc.
I was not able to edit after that, so deleted the activity and tried to start again...with no luck.

I will try the file download/upload as suggested.

Every ride is stored on your Garmin as a '.fit' file in a directory called 'Activities'. The name of the file is a date and time stamp (e.g. 2019-08-28-17-56-08.fit was yesterdays ride for me starting at 5:56pm). If you plug a Garmin into the USB port on your computer the Garmin will look like a Hard drive. Activities are stored in "D:/Garmin/Activities" (the drive letter may vary). You can upload that file directly to Strava or copy it onto your computer.

Milton Keynes 08-29-19 08:26 AM

Strava works well enough for me, never felt the need to edit any of my rides unless I forgot to enter in the right bike or something. It works much better than the Runtastic app I was using before and which I no longer use due to Runtastic seemingly going defunct. They're no longer keeping any data on their website and the road cycling app is no longer being supported. So Strava it is for me 100%.

Ronno6 08-29-19 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by gregf83 (Post 21097927)
Every ride is stored on your Garmin as a '.fit' file in a directory called 'Activities'. The name of the file is a date and time stamp (e.g. 2019-08-28-17-56-08.fit was yesterdays ride for me starting at 5:56pm). If you plug a Garmin into the USB port on your computer the Garmin will look like a Hard drive. Activities are stored in "D:/Garmin/Activities" (the drive letter may vary). You can upload that file directly to Strava or copy it onto your computer.

Looks like that worked!
Thanks to all!

Wilfred Laurier 08-29-19 08:47 AM

I used to use Strava on my phone to track my rides, but I got a new phone that, I think due to power saving settings, would stop recording in the middle of the ride. Once when I took my phone out to check my distance, Strava re-started and calculated my speed based on the zero time it recorded since the last pint it was recording. I finished that ride with a 111km/h average LOL.

I soon after decided to stop worrying about recording rides at all and I no longer use Strava.