Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Giant revolt sizing (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1212182)

Grimfish74 09-04-20 02:29 PM

Giant revolt sizing

Looking to buy a 2020 used Revolt advances 0 size M it’s a very good price but I’m 5’11 and looking at the Giant website it looks like I’m more suited to a size M/L. Although it does say 5’7 to 5’11 for a M. The bike will be posted so it’s a bit of a gamble really regarding the fit. Can any revolt owners advise who are of same height.
The other thing to add is I’m more long legged 32” inseam and short body, I do find with road bikes In a size 56 that I usually have to shorten the stem.
Thanks for reading.

tangerineowl 09-05-20 03:22 AM

Wouldn't say your inseam for height is that long. I'm 5'9.5"/34".

There's only 4mm difference in the reach between the M (381mm) and M/L, so you might end up running a bit longer stem on the M.

Stack height on the M may be a touch low, depending on how you prefer the front end.

Rides4Beer 09-06-20 07:18 AM

I'm 6' with a 33" inseam and ride a M/L Revolt. I've ridden 56's in other brands.

DarKris 09-11-20 07:06 PM

I'm 5'11" with a 32" Inseam with a size...... large Revolt. I did shorten the stem but that was because I went with wider 50cm bars. I prefer my gravel bike with a longer top-tube, but if you find yourself shortening the reach on a 56, then I would definitely size down if needed.

jcg878 09-17-20 07:50 PM

5”11, 31 inch inseam here and I normally ride a 56 cm road bike (Domane 2013). My ML Revolt fits me perfectly. I was fitted with a 90mm stem and hated it, switched to the 100mm that I think was stock and I may even try longer.

grannygears 09-21-20 05:00 PM

Revolt Sizing

You may want to go and see it but if you were asking me straight up sight unseen I would say the M might be a bit small. I own a new 2021 Revolt Advanced 0 in size L and I am 6'1" tall with a 34" inseam and id say it fits me perfectly. However a good friend of mine rides the exact same bike in a ML and he is 5'10" tall and he likes it. I'd think you would have a tonne of seat post exposed on a M at your height. With my 34" inseam I have 75% of my seatpost exposed on my size L. I may be wrong but my gut feeling is it would be a bit small. Good luck!

VaMoots 03-03-21 10:49 AM

I'm glad I saw this after searching. I'm looking at a Revolt Advanced 2 and the shop tells me I need an XL. I'm 6'2" but have a 32 inch inseam and I think the XL will be too big. They have it in both a L and and XL and I half think they are trying to get ride of the XL because not many will need that size. They also tried to sell my GF a bike that was too small for her rather than build up one from the warehouse.

mstateglfr 03-03-21 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by VaMoots (Post 21950222)
I'm glad I saw this after searching. I'm looking at a Revolt Advanced 2 and the shop tells me I need an XL. I'm 6'2" but have a 32 inch inseam and I think the XL will be too big. They have it in both a L and and XL and I half think they are trying to get ride of the XL because not many will need that size. They also tried to sell my GF a bike that was too small for her rather than build up one from the warehouse.

Your cycling inseam is only 32" at 6'2? Yeah, that may be a tough fit.
Revolt sizing is goofy- the size XL stack is quite low for being a gravel bike in their largest size, and claiming 6'7 people would fit is is questionable. Sure some would make it work, but me at 6'5 wouldnt want to have to kludge together a fit for that bike so Im not sure why someone even taller would want to.

The stack height is probably good for your height in general. And the reach is probably 5ish mm longer than an average of gravel bikes for your height. But a 32" cycling inseam(different from pant inseam) could be tough to fit since the Revolt slopes a good bit as is.

HampusP 04-29-21 05:43 AM

I have also been having a hard time choosing size. In my case between ML and L. I am 184 cm, inseam 88 cm (approx 6" and 34-35 inches), hopefully it will work out well. Can get back when tested if it could help/guide anyone!

Cheers

grannygears 05-10-21 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by HampusP (Post 22036368)
I have also been having a hard time choosing size. In my case between ML and L. I am 184 cm, inseam 88 cm (approx 6" and 34-35 inches), hopefully it will work out well. Can get back when tested if it could help/guide anyone!

Cheers

I would think L all day long

Joeyseven 05-10-21 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by VaMoots (Post 21950222)

I'm about the same size. A little more length on both measurements.
Knowing what I like in sizing and ride about 40/60 , I would lean more toward a large and add to the stem if needed.

I still need to test ride both sizes.
Also looking at the Kona Libre CR, MARIN HEADLANDS 2 and maybe the Diverge Carbon.

Also I would try another bike shop or Giant dealer.

HampusP 05-11-21 05:06 AM

Thanks! And great to hear since I ordered the bike in size Large :thumb:

woodcraft 05-14-21 08:02 PM

That's revolting!

(I just wanted to say that...)

HampusP 05-21-21 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by grannygears (Post 22053771)

Your were perfectly right. I am just 1 cm from being exposing too much of the saddle post. If I would have chosen the M/L with a 2 cm shorter seat tube I would have had to buy a new and longer seat post with my 34-35" inseam.

grannygears 05-21-21 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by HampusP (Post 22069572)
Your were perfectly right. I am just 1 cm from being exposing too much of the saddle post. If I would have chosen the M/L with a 2 cm shorter seat tube I would have had to buy a new and longer seat post with my 34-35" inseam.

Like I said I have a 2021 Giant Revolt Advanced 0 in size L. I am 6'1" or 185 cm tall with a 34" cycling inseam. On the front of the d-fuse stem I am at 53mm on the measurement written on the post without the rubber cover installed. If you are around the same height as me I don't see how you are a couple cm from exposing all the seat post???

I couldn't imagine the stretch and reach to the bars on an XL it would be too long, I already bought a shorter 90mm stem to reduce the reach. A M/L certainly I would be almost maxing out the seat post stem. The L is the perfect size to allow enough seat post exposed to take advantage of the suspension the seat post has with its d-fuse technology. Enjoy the bike, they are amazing!

HampusP 05-21-21 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by grannygears (Post 22053771)

Originally Posted by grannygears (Post 22069599)
Like I said I have a 2021 Giant Revolt Advanced 0 in size L. I am 6'1" or 185 cm tall with a 34" cycling inseam. On the front of the d-fuse stem I am at 53mm on the measurement written on the post without the rubber cover installed. If you are around the same height as me I don't see how you are a couple cm from exposing all the seat post???

I couldn't imagine the stretch and reach to the bars on an XL it would be too long, I already bought a shorter 90mm stem to reduce the reach. A M/L certainly I would be almost maxing out the seat post stem. The L is the perfect size to allow enough seat post exposed to take advantage of the suspension the seat post has with its d-fuse technology. Enjoy the bike, they are amazing!

Sorry for the misunderstanding, english is not my native language... I meant that I was 1 cm from maxing the seat post in the perspective of being 1 cm from the limit line. So in other words, with the rubber removed I am 1 cm from seing the limit line (below that line there is apprximately 10 cm or so of the seat post). And I agrere, It feels like an amazing bike!

Herzlos 05-21-21 09:31 AM

There's a chart on their website with the sizing under "what's my size" https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/revolt-advanced-0
That's for the 2021 model but I'd expect the sizing to be the same/similar.
It sounds like you could get away with either the M or ML.

otis2019 10-08-21 04:32 PM

Alright so I'm going to add to the fit questions. I'm 5'10"-5'11" range with an inseam 33"-33.5" (measurement error). I'm new to gravel so I'm not sure on sizing, some seem to indicate go a bit longer others not. I currently ride a Cervelo R3 road in 56cm and it seems to fit me well. I'm not a super flexible rider so I don't get real low, have a few spacer. Can get a size L right now or continue to shop and look for a M/L. Thoughts?

DarKris 10-09-21 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by otis2019 (Post 22262857)
Alright so I'm going to add to the fit questions. I'm 5'10"-5'11" range with an inseam 33"-33.5" (measurement error). I'm new to gravel so I'm not sure on sizing, some seem to indicate go a bit longer others not. I currently ride a Cervelo R3 road in 56cm and it seems to fit me well. I'm not a super flexible rider so I don't get real low, have a few spacer. Can get a size L right now or continue to shop and look for a M/L. Thoughts?

Fit on modern gravel bikes IMO is closer to sizing for a modern MTB. I 5'11" with a 32-33" inseam and I previously rode a size L Revolt. I sold my first Revolt last year (unrelated reason) and recently I got the Revolt Advanced in XL. This allowed me to have a higher stack height w/o using an angled stem, as well as a shorter stem and wider bars for handling that I *personally* prefer. I have plenty of standover too running 700 x 42.99? tires (If you know, you know).

TL: DR - For a Road fit, size according to your road bike. For a more MTB fit, size up.

Darylb23 09-16-22 03:03 PM

From reading through this, at 6'0" with a 31" inseam, it appears M/L in the Revolt makes sense. Sound right?

DarKris 09-16-22 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Darylb23 (Post 22649719)
From reading through this, at 6'0" with a 31" inseam, it appears M/L in the Revolt makes sense. Sound right?

honestly I started sizing around Stack/Reach since I’m 5-11 with 31-32” inseam and running an XL just to use a shorter stem

Darylb23 09-16-22 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by DarKris (Post 22649731)
honestly I started sizing around Stack/Reach since I’m 5-11 with 31-32” inseam and running an XL just to use a shorter stem

Interesting. Stack and reach weren’t a thing when I was last in cycling so I’m a bit lost trying to use measurements to figure it out. Unfortunately I can’t find a physical bike to try yet so until then I’m sort of speculating. I still don’t think I could do an xl but that makes me think a large is in play. Thanks.

lasauge 09-17-22 11:20 AM

Another data point: I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam (a 56cm square road frame is perfect for me) and ML is my size for the Revolt, but size L works acceptably for me as well.

Darylb23 09-17-22 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by lasauge (Post 22650481)
Another data point: I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam (a 56cm square road frame is perfect for me) and ML is my size for the Revolt, but size L works acceptably for me as well.

I appreciate it. Shop near me is supposed to be getting some but every time I call they say they are still coming. From what he told me if I order it online I could get it quicker than him but without being sure about the size I don't want to roll the dice.