Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Living Car Free (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What Would You Do? Bike Theft (White Guy, Black Guy, Pretty Girl) (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=894427)

Ekdog 06-07-13 10:04 PM

What Would You Do? Bike Theft (White Guy, Black Guy, Pretty Girl)

plustax 06-08-13 12:54 AM

Not watch videos that pick and choose what to show.

Ekdog 06-08-13 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by plustax (Post 15718903)
Not watch videos that pick and choose what to show.

I think I know what you're referring to, but why not explain yourself? It might not sound as clever, but it makes for much more interesting conversation.

PedalingFool 06-08-13 06:36 AM

I love those "What would you do?" videos.

Ekdog 06-08-13 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by PedalingFool (Post 15719188)
I love those "What would you do?" videos.

It's the first one I've seen.

MRT2 06-08-13 07:04 AM

The moral is, if you want to steal a bike, better to be a white female than a black male.

Smallwheels 06-08-13 07:39 AM

I haven't heard of these "What Would You Do" videos but I would make note of how the person looked and take a picture of them if I had a camera. If I later learned that a bicycle was stolen I would contact the police with the information. When I lived in an apartment building I would do that too when I saw unfamiliar cars or trucks parked in the parking lot.

plustax 06-08-13 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ekdog (Post 15718948)
I think I know what you're referring to, but why not explain yourself? It might not sound as clever, but it makes for much more interesting conversation.

I'm betting plenty of people passed by before the desired reactions occurred.

Roody 06-08-13 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by plustax (Post 15720349)
I'm betting plenty of people passed by before the desired reactions occurred.

That makes a lot of sense, once you explain it. But still, the scene with the old man trying to take the tools was priceless, even if staged.
:D

I-Like-To-Bike 06-08-13 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by MRT2 (Post 15719246)
The moral is, if you want to steal a bike, better to be a white female than a black male.

Or the moral may be that it is possible to initiate an "interesting discussion" and make sure it leads to the approved conclusion by posting, staging and/or editing a video that meets the requirement.

bhtooefr 06-08-13 07:33 PM

Fine, it wouldn't be hard to set up the scenario, and upload the hours of raw video as a single cut.

I suspect reality would follow that, with some demographic shifts depending on the area.

technoD 06-10-13 03:16 AM

I saw this happening once at a local rec center, and it was a asian kid trying to use bolt cutters until I questioned where his key was? He got offensive so I said ya know I can call a guy who can help you with that? (cops) ;)

I rode by 15 minutes later he was gone, but the bike wasn't!

Ekdog 06-10-13 07:19 AM

Apparently, a couple named George and Eileen did try to stop the theft (@1:12), but that was barely mentioned and the footage was edited out.

rumrunn6 06-10-13 07:35 AM

that old guy could have gotten his head bashed in. confronting a thief isn't always the best idea.

Ekdog 06-10-13 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 15725300)
that old guy could have gotten his head bashed in. confronting a thief isn't always the best idea.

True. Calling the coppers is a better option.

StanSeven 06-10-13 02:44 PM

Any normal guy would call the police on either guy and asked the blonde for her number/email address while he helped

smellincoffee 06-12-13 09:23 AM

I wonder what would happen if you had a white guy in an Arab, Hispanic, or black neighborhood. I would hope it's more tribalism in action (we're more suspicious of people who don't look like us) than racism. The reaction of the guys to the girl is funny/pathetic, but I can't help but admire assertive women. :p

Ekdog 06-12-13 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by smellincoffee (Post 15733974)
I would hope it's more tribalism in action (we're more suspicious of people who don't look like us) than racism.

I don't understand the difference. It seems to me that if you're more suspicious of people who don't look like you, you are a racist.

Sixty Fiver 06-12-13 02:31 PM

The behaviour of the three actors was very different... passive and polite, somewhat aggressive, and hot and sweet.

But they all said this was not their bicycle when they were asked.

I always carry a lock and a cel phone and would make it much harder for the suspected thief to take the bike by adding a shackle while I waited for the police to arrive and if they wanted to take issue with that they'd find their head shackled to the post.

I am not easily swayed by a pretty face either... thieves come in all shapes and sizes and colours.

addictedhealer 06-13-13 08:32 AM

"industrial sized bolt cutters" wtf? Love how adding a few words in-front is suppose to make it sound more powerful. Kinda like "assault rifles"

Sixty Fiver 06-13-13 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by addictedhealer (Post 15737960)
"industrial sized bolt cutters" wtf? Love how adding a few words in-front is suppose to make it sound more powerful. Kinda like "assault rifles"

Those are baby bolt cutters.

bhtooefr 06-13-13 01:21 PM

I forgot to comment on that.

If those are industrial-sized, I wonder what these are: http://www.harborfreight.com/42-inch...ers-41151.html

wahoonc 06-13-13 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by addictedhealer (Post 15737960)

I have bolt cutters ranging from 18" to a whopping pair of 48", IIRC they used to make 60" but I haven't seen any in quite a while. Battery powered mini grinders are making bolt cutters obsolete. :innocent:

Aaron :)

wolfchild 06-13-13 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ekdog (Post 15727075)
Calling the coppers is a better option.

I wonder if cops would even respond to a bike theft.

wolfchild 06-13-13 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by wahoonc (Post 15739472)
Battery powered mini grinders are making bolt cutters obsolete. :innocent:

Technology is like a two edged sword...I guess it's time for lock manufacturers to come up with something different. I wonder if there is a material out there that would resist a cutting wheel ??