Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Dismount Difficulty Due to Flexibility Decline (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1224743)

blinky 02-28-21 05:52 PM

Dismount Difficulty Due to Flexibility Decline

I'm a senior in my 70's that has enjoyed road biking ( with a road bike ) for many years - wasn't sure if this question should be in the Adaptive Cycling sub forum - I'm roughly 6"2" with long legs relative to my torso and so my seat is set pretty high ( used the method in LeMond's book to set the height ) - in my younger years I would dismount by holding the bars , left leg on ground , and then swinging the right leg backwards and over the saddle - that maneuver has become impossible - so now I either find a curb or lay the bike down between my legs and then try to get a separation between legs an bike , requires some good balance .

My wife has suggested that ,while holding each seat stay , I go on tip toes and push the bike and saddle forward so now all I have to do is lift my right leg over the rear wheel to freedom - was wondering if any other senior riders have experienced this dilemma and what their solution was or if anyone just has a thought on how to solve this problem - I've even thought about wearing a small backpack with a couple blocks of wood on straps to give me that extra few inches to get the leg back and over the saddle :)

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts .

shelbyfv 02-28-21 06:02 PM

Ride a 'bent!! Seriously, try dropping the front of the bike to the side and swing your leg over the bars.

Iride01 02-28-21 06:29 PM

I hope I don't get stove up that much. But if I do, that'll be one of the reasons I move to a recumbent bike or trike as suggested by others.

But have you tried just leaning the bike over as you let your one foot go to the ground then the saddle won't be quite as high as when vertical. And though I've not found a use for them, perhaps a dropper post might help you. Like a lot of stuff that's moved from mountain bikes, bmx and other genres, these are coming to road bikes too.

MinnMan 02-28-21 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 21945759)
I hope I don't get stove up that much. But if I do, that'll be one of the reasons I move to a recumbent bike or trike as suggested by others.

But have you tried just leaning the bike over as you let your one foot go to the ground then the saddle won't be quite as high as when vertical. And though I've not found a use for them, perhaps a dropper post might help you. Like a lot of stuff that's moved from mountain bikes, bmx and other genres, these are coming to road bikes too.

I second the suggestion. I'm not as old as the OP, but I have flexibility issues in general and hip problems (labral tears), etc. When I'm having more hip pain then usual, leaning the bike way down to the side makes it much easier for me to swing my leg over the saddle, whether mounting or dismounting.

BobbyG 02-28-21 07:10 PM

I've thought about getting a mixte, you know with a low top bar like what was called a ladies bike. You can throw some drop bars on it.

GlennR 02-28-21 07:14 PM

Sounds like you're not at this point yet but last year i got my wife a "low entry" bike since she couldn't ride otherwise.

https://i.imgur.com/pdDBNcq.jpg

big john 02-28-21 07:56 PM

I don't have a problem on the road but lowering the dropper on the mountain bike makes mounting and dismounting a lot easier on steep or uneven ground.

rando_couche 02-28-21 09:42 PM

Can you swing your foot forward and over the handlebar? I've been doing it that way for years (decades, actually).

shelbyfv 03-01-21 07:56 AM

blinky 03-01-21 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21945878)
I don't have a problem on the road but lowering the dropper on the mountain bike makes mounting and dismounting a lot easier on steep or uneven ground.

What is the "dropper" ??

blinky 03-01-21 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 21945759)

Do you mean dropping the seat tube ? I've thought about that but the quick release clamps that hold the seat tube don't grip tight enough to prevent the tube from slipping down under normal riding .

blinky 03-01-21 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 21945726)
Ride a 'bent!! Seriously, try dropping the front of the bike to the side and swing your leg over the bars.

What's a "bent" ??

big john 03-01-21 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by blinky (Post 21946376)
What is the "dropper" ??

A dropper seatpost. You push a lever on the handle bar and the seat will lower. They can be had in different lengths. The one I have drops 125mm, almost 5 inches. If you love your bike and want to keep it this could be a solution, if a dropper seatpost will fit.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....Y300_QL70_.jpg

Originally Posted by blinky (Post 21946394)
What's a "bent" ??

A 'bent is a recumbent bike.

VegasTriker 03-01-21 09:19 AM

"Bent" = recumbent bike or trike. Been riding one for 21 years now. Not because of limited mobility but because I came down with cyclist palsy (carpal tunnel syndrome) that only got fixed two years ago thanks to our wonderful (tongue-in-cheek) medical system that forces us to avoid treatment until it becomes absolutely necessary. I can still get out of the seat 9" off the ground on my Catrike 700 but there are two wheeled versions like my Linear long wheelbase with underseat steering that is super easy to get on and off.

Iride01 03-01-21 09:38 AM

Durn blinky . You might need to come out into the daylight more. Dropper post I might can let slide on as I only fully understood what they were a year ago. But bent's? That's been a term for recumbents for quite some time. And I do think it was used as a term for them in the previous 20th Century. <grin>

(just a friendly yank on your chain. Please don't get offended)

caloso 03-01-21 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by blinky (Post 21945714)
I'm a senior in my 70's that has enjoyed road biking ( with a road bike ) for many years - wasn't sure if this question should be in the Adaptive Cycling sub forum - I'm roughly 6"2" with long legs relative to my torso and so my seat is set pretty high ( used the method in LeMond's book to set the height ) - in my younger years I would dismount by holding the bars , left leg on ground , and then swinging the right leg backwards and over the saddle - that maneuver has become impossible - so now I either find a curb or lay the bike down between my legs and then try to get a separation between legs an bike , requires some good balance .

My wife has suggested that ,while holding each seat stay , I go on tip toes and push the bike and saddle forward so now all I have to do is lift my right leg over the rear wheel to freedom - was wondering if any other senior riders have experienced this dilemma and what their solution was or if anyone just has a thought on how to solve this problem - I've even thought about wearing a small backpack with a couple blocks of wood on straps to give me that extra few inches to get the leg back and over the saddle :)

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts .

Is your balance good enough that you can do this while coasting? Do what you’re doing now, but keep your left foot on the pedal, swing your right leg over the rear wheel as you coast to a stop. Basically a slow cyclocross dismount.

70sSanO 03-01-21 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21946491)
A dropper seatpost. You push a lever on the handle bar and the seat will lower. They can be had in different lengths. The one I have drops 125mm, almost 5 inches. If you love your bike and want to keep it this could be a solution, if a dropper seatpost will fit.

This is such a brilliant idea for anyone who struggles with swinging a leg over a saddle. You would need a small enough frame so that there is at least a few inches of seatpost visible above the seat tube.

John

caloso 03-01-21 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 21946367)

What I was suggesting above is called the "step down" in this video, about half way through.

blinky 03-01-21 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 21946823)
What I was suggesting above is called the "step down" in this video, about half way through.

Beautiful , thanks Caloso , I've used that "step down" technique before but just never thought of it - but I want to say that video was really good - thanks for your time and a great response !!!

pdlamb 03-01-21 03:54 PM

Good reminder to do my stretching after each ride.

blinky 03-01-21 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21946491)

Thanks Big John , something I never knew existed , and another great option !!

big john 03-01-21 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by blinky (Post 21947351)
Thanks Big John , something I never knew existed , and another great option !!

I never thought I wanted one until I got a mountain bike that came with one. Now, I never want to mountain bike without one.

I've seen them in 27.2 diameter, which is common in road bikes, for less than $100.

DeadGrandpa 03-01-21 04:22 PM

I don't know why you have to pass your leg over the saddle. I haven't done that in 40 years. I simply step over the top bar of the bike, like I would if I were stepping across a wire fence. If I want to cheat a little, I lean the bike away from me, or towards me, and bring the frame up vertical as I get myself straddling the top bar. Both feet on the ground, then I step into the pedals. Dismounting is just lifting the one foot over the top bar again while the other foot is flat on the ground. I'm 68. Not very flexible. It's not difficult; it's so simple that I don't think about it.

blinky 03-01-21 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21947363)
I never thought I wanted one until I got a mountain bike that came with one. Now, I never want to mountain bike without one.

I've seen them in 27.2 diameter, which is common in road bikes, for less than $100.

Thanks again Big John !!!

MinnMan 03-01-21 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by blinky (Post 21946394)
What's a "bent" ??

recumbent.. There's a whole subforum, if you dare