Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

kissTheApex 04-18-20 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21425674)
Oh that could work! I was imagining plain wood on the sides.

IKR? Going the whole 9 yards of hair metal experience is a strong pull. :D

Velo Vol 04-18-20 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21425685)
She is. I don't necessarily agree, but from her perspective I understand her. It is clearly the number 1 school for her intended area of study (film), and it's also the number 1 school in the country for something called "student experience" I don't know that I give that as much weight but I can't deny it's the best school for film.

How about none? It sounds like something they made up.

datlas 04-18-20 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21425700)
How about none? It sounds like something they made up.

I don't know how valid this is, but if you google best university rankings you get something like this:

https://www.niche.com/colleges/searc...-student-life/

So it does say that for "student life" USC is number 1. I am confident my undergrad university is (or should be) near the bottom. It was a total grind. Sad.

kissTheApex 04-18-20 02:14 PM

My sister was very angry and resentful about that for quite some time. She finally came around and accepted this but only after many years of anger. She told me recently that it's only been maybe in the past 5 years she really is ok with it, and I bet on some level she is still not happy about it.

That does weigh on my mind.

#FirstWorldProblems

Yeah, I understand it is a big decision for parents and child both.

Having been in a similar situation to your sister (I desperately wanted to study aeronautical engineering), I can tell it takes a long time to come to peace with yourself as well.

I do not envy your days ahead. Though, with two kids (12 & 9), I suspect similar decisions might be in my future too.

seedsbelize 04-18-20 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21425691)
Sell them locally and buy the right tubes? I cringe at the idea of drilling your rims but that's the nuclear option.

Unpossible
I could go into a store and buy them locally, but we are on lockdown; I don't even know if the local store is still open. But it's all moot, for the coming six weeks, anyway.

Velo Vol 04-18-20 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21425704)
I don't know how valid this is, but if you google best university rankings you get something like this:

https://www.niche.com/colleges/searc...-student-life/

So it does say that for "student life" USC is number 1. I am confident my undergrad university is (or should be) near the bottom. It was a total grind. Sad.

There's a lot of subjectivity in student reviews. I might like it there (vs. other schools) primarily because it's not freezing cold.

I see my undergrad gets a "B" at that site. I can't argue either way.

BillyD 04-18-20 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21425243)
I initially thought duck on that one, but after the catch it looked like Canada goose

No sir, a CG is much bigger, has white sideburns, and the black doesn't extend into the breast like these guys.

Bah Humbug 04-18-20 02:25 PM

She is. I don't necessarily agree, but from her perspective I understand her. It is clearly the number 1 school for her intended area of study (film), and it's also the number 1 school in the country for something called "student experience" I don't know that I give that as much weight but I can't deny it's the best school for film.

She already had an interactive online meeting with USC. She has an online discussion with a Temple film student later today, and we all have an online conference for students/families for NYU tomorrow.

We are going to have a serious family discussion about all the options sometime next week. Stay tuned. I hope we all end up on the same page.

It might be TMI, but one thing that DOES weigh heavily on me. My sister, who is 4 years older than me, got accepted to Tulane. She really was excited to go there. My parents told her that it was too expensive and too far. And she was told she HAD to go to our state school (Rutgers).

Sound familiar??

My sister was very angry and resentful about that for quite some time. She finally came around and accepted this but only after many years of anger. She told me recently that it's only been maybe in the past 5 years she really is ok with it, and I bet on some level she is still not happy about it.

#FirstWorldProblems

Part of "first world problems" is that it become possible to worry about your mental health once your physical needs are satisfied. The kicker with what you're describing is there's a fine line (and sometimes invisible until it's passed) between "character-building challenge" and "traumatic experience". And it's not always about severity or importance; it's the equivalent of dropping a glass on the floor and it doesn't break, but knock it over on the table and it does. External judgement of importance won't affect her internal processing and the effects.

That said, I of course agree from a rational standpoint. It's a tough situation. Good luck.

As I think about it, part of the difference is probably the ever-increasing importance placed on college by everyone, starting at ever-younger ages. When you're told for your entire life from essentially all directions that college is hyper-important, it's not hard to see how the "wrong" one gets built up to a life-wrecking catastrophe.

BillyD 04-18-20 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21425348)
She truly has no power here. Make sure you get that point across(namby pamby).

:innocent:

Velo Vol 04-18-20 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21425734)
As I think about it, part of the difference is probably the ever-increasing importance placed on college by everyone, starting at ever-younger ages. When you're told for your entire life from essentially all directions that college is hyper-important, it's not hard to see how the "wrong" one gets built up to a life-wrecking catastrophe.

Kind of ironic because:

(1) with increasing automation/robots + gig economy, the workplace could look a lot different in 10 years

(2) this spring could really accelerate a shift toward online learning. Once you "go there," it completely upends the traditional college model.

ls01 04-18-20 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21425526)
Hey abshipp, I say the time is right for a paisley Thinline Tele with matching paisley headstock and a shredilicious double locking tremolo in 24 5/8” scale.

What say you? Having second thoughts on whether cover the back or not.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...846e35e15.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...16df4d302.jpeg

Just the front, that back is pretty sweet. Are you going to burst the edges to hide the edge of the material?

big john 04-18-20 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21425668)
Or chain. Or cable.

I did break a spoke once.

In addition to a butt-load of wheels, I have broken 4 frames, 3 pedals (crashed twice because they snapped off) a stem, at least 3 seatposts, at least 4 saddles, lots of cables (usually my fault for leaving them on too long) but only one chain, and that was my fault, too. I broke a front derailleur and I was 20 some miles out. Got to practice my spin that day.
I was climbing a grade with a friend and he sprinted after someone and his middle cog split in half and fell out. He didn't crash and that was amazing.

Jadesfire 04-18-20 03:20 PM

She already had an interactive online meeting with USC. She has an online discussion with a Temple film student later today, and we all have an online conference for students/families for NYU tomorrow.

We are going to have a serious family discussion about all the options sometime next week. Stay tuned. I hope we all end up on the same page.

It might be TMI, but one thing that DOES weigh heavily on me. My sister, who is 4 years older than me, got accepted to Tulane. She really was excited to go there. My parents told her that it was too expensive and too far. And she was told she HAD to go to our state school (Rutgers).

Sound familiar??

#FirstWorldProblems

OK, so writing as a someone who was once also an 18-year-old girl:
First of all, I truly applaud the effort you are making to take her wishes and interests into account. Like your sister, that is something that I was not afforded during that time in my life. I was accepted into two out-of-state schools and wait-listed for another and had only applied to my in-state university as a back-up (all were good, well-respected options for my major of choice). When it became apparent that I was wanting to go out of state (because communication in my family sucked- at least you have that better state of affairs going for you), and while there was some resentment on my part at the time, my father did tell me straight out that there would be no assistance available from him. Though knowing what I know now about their finances at the time, at least some financial support would have been possible.

So my options were financial aid and/or scholarships, and I opted for the almost full-ride scholarship in-state. I can tell you that with the massive amounts of student loan debt my generation has taken on that I was relieved to come out the other side relatively unaffected. Now, you don't (obviously) need to answer this question here, but what would her financial situation look like in 4-5 years? Are you paying the full ride, do you feel the need to pay that full ride, or is she making the choice to be saddled with tens of thousands of dollars in debt? Because I have to say, seeing those numbers made a definite impact on my choice. And I'd like to think that even if my parents had offered to pay for out-of-state, I wouldn't have wanted to saddle them with that amount anyway when it came time to make my final choice. I know she's 18 and it might not be something she wants to think about but if she hasn't picked up the financial savvy from you and your wife yet, maybe now is the time?

Regardless, good luck to you all, and congratulations to her for having so many great choices!

LAJ 04-18-20 03:29 PM

You people are smart.

kissTheApex 04-18-20 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21425798)
Just the front, that back is pretty sweet. Are you going to burst the edges to hide the edge of the material?

If I go with the original plan, the sides will be solid with slight burst to the top and back to hide the fabric to wood transition. If on the other if I just cover the top, I’ll leave the fabric overhanging from the side and pattern route it afterwards. It’s thin enough that it may not show but the cleanest most still be routing a binding channel and binding it. Perhaps with pink-ish abs.

big john 04-18-20 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21425837)
You people are smart.

Yeah, what happened to us?

My older sister wanted to go to college and my parents couldn't understand why. Why would a woman need college? Of course, they didn't have any money anyway.

kissTheApex 04-18-20 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21425712)
Yeah, I understand it is a big decision for parents and child both.

Having been in a similar situation to your sister (I desperately wanted to study aeronautical engineering), I can tell it takes a long time to come to peace with yourself as well.

I do not envy your days ahead. Though, with two kids (12 & 9), I suspect similar decisions might be in my future too.

I need to clarify though, due to how things are structured back home, higher education is roughly 95% (if not more) subsidized. Of course, if you go out of state, you’re responsible for your living expenses, which is also strenuous for many.

if my family was having to pay for any of it, it would have weighed heavily on my choices. In fact, when I came to the US, the reason I went to Penn State was the full scholarship plus paid TA position vs half scholarship and no pay at USC. Stanford, the place I wanted to at the most put me on the waitlist :notamused:

datlas 04-18-20 03:56 PM

Good news is my wireless earbuds arrived and work/sound great! :bday:

datlas 04-18-20 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21425898)
I need to clarify though, due to how things are structured back home, higher education is roughly 95% (if not more) subsidized. Of course, if you go out of state, you’re responsible for your living expenses, which is also strenuous for many.

if my family was having to pay for any of it, it would have weighed heavily on my choices. In fact, when I came to the US, the reason I went to Penn State was the full scholarship plus paid TA position vs half scholarship and no pay at USC. Stanford, the place I wanted to at the most put me on the waitlist :notamused:

Where is back home??

kissTheApex 04-18-20 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21425903)
Where is back home??

Turkey.

kissTheApex 04-18-20 03:59 PM

Gobble gobble.

datlas 04-18-20 03:59 PM

BTW if daughter goes to a private university she WILL have to borrow a portion of the cost. Probably 20% or so. If she goes to Temple, we will pick up everything.

kissTheApex 04-18-20 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21425911)
BTW if daughter goes to a private university she WILL have to borrow a portion of the cost. Probably 20% or so. If she goes to Temple, we will pick up everything.

That’s more than a fair deal for her.

datlas 04-18-20 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21425907)
Turkey.

I love the Mediterranean climate and lifestyle. More comfortable with Spain but I would not mind visiting Turkey if the political and economic situation allows.

WhyFi 04-18-20 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21425901)
Good news is my wireless earbuds arrived and work/sound great! :bday:

Just be careful! I've already been killed thrice because of mine. :(