Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

MoAlpha 06-19-20 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21542130)
I'm a dumb noob, but a few ideas have crystallized recently:
  • it's easier to lose time than to make up time, so make up time when you can
  • 90% is resting, with very little physiological cost (over this kind of duration, at least)
  • "rest" downhill - it's free money that adds up (see points 1 & 2)

Yeah, I'm additionally slow downhill because of worsening vision and fear and I often find my HR dropping into Zone 2 at the bottom. That's below where I want to be, but it helps on the next ascent.

Velo Vol 06-19-20 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21542155)
I feel muscle groups this morning. Must be getting ripped.

10,000th post. :bday:

MoAlpha 06-19-20 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by 2manybikes (Post 21541663)

I slap a little on my neck each morning after I shave. Makes the chicks go wild.

MoAlpha 06-19-20 07:06 AM

Must be getting ripped.

Little early in the day, COVID not withstanding, isn't it?

Velo Vol 06-19-20 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21542169)
Little early in the day, COVID not withstanding, isn't it?

As surprising as this may sound, I've never had six-pack abs.

Why not now?

WhyFi 06-19-20 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21542160)
Yeah, I'm additionally slow downhill because of worsening vision and fear and I often find my HR dropping into Zone 2 at the bottom. That's below where I want to be, but it helps on the next ascent.

Bike still squirrelly at times, or just the pucker-factor of going plaid?

I think that, if you have to and in general, you'd rather go a little over (not a lot) when conditions aren't favorable and a little under when conditions are favorable. Basically, you want to minimize the time that you're under the influence of the bad conditions, but not so much that you're blown and can't take advantage of the good conditions.

WhyFi 06-19-20 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21542174)
As surprising as this may sound, I've never had six-pack abs.

Why not now?

I'm shocked.

MoAlpha 06-19-20 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21542180)
Bike still squirrelly at times, or just the pucker-factor of going plaid?

I think that, if you have to and in general, you'd rather go a little over (not a lot) when conditions aren't favorable and a little under when conditions are favorable. Basically, you want to minimize the time that you're under the influence of the bad conditions, but not so much that you're blown and can't take advantage of the good conditions.

Fear of bad pavement, mainly. I've pretty much mastered the new wheels.

bampilot06 06-19-20 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21542150)
BTW, I'm super jonesing for the Zipp 303S wheelset. If I could have found them in stock someplace yesterday, I prolly would have pulled the trigger.

I have been eye balling that one as well. But I will wait for you to tell me how it is before I commit.

indyfabz 06-19-20 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21542160)
Yeah, I'm additionally slow downhill because of worsening vision and fear

I’m also a relatively slow descender. Blood thinners and crashing don’t mix well. In 2016 I let myself get up to about 42 mph on a long mountain descent. Fully-loaded bike. Wide road with a good surface, no traffic and great sight lines. I was impressed with myself. I usually won’t go over 35.

WhyFi 06-19-20 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21542201)
I have been eye balling that one as well. But I will wait for you to tell me how it is before I commit.

Are you ready to open the can of tubeless worms? That would be my one caution - you *need* to run them with tubeless tires (although you can run tubes in those tubeless tires), so I don't think that I'd recommend them to someone that isn't already familiar with everything that tubeless entails.

That said, they're right up my alley - pretty light, moderately deep, perfect width for my bike and great tire volume. And the retail price isn't horrible.

LAJ 06-19-20 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21542023)
I am currently getting 9-11 hrs for about 450-700 TSS. That seems like plenty for my age. I’ve had to cut back lately for sailing, but the good weather is about to end.

Nice.

I worded it incorrectly. When is the event? If you can get out and do intervals of 2/3/4x15'-7.5' at threshold with 7.5' rest between, then working up to 2 to 3x20' at threshold with 10" rest between, it sort of teaches one how to work that distance. A couple times a week. As said, pacing is the key, and knowing the course. The hilly part is always a treat, and I've always had an issue of wanting to rest on the downhill as opposed to keeping power down.

WhyFi 06-19-20 07:34 AM

Oh, and I looked at the weekly leaderboard. Too many of y'all are actually trying this week. Stop it. :notamused:

MoAlpha 06-19-20 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21542204)
I’m also a relatively slow descender. Blood thinners and crashing don’t mix well. In 2016 I let myself get up to about 42 mph on a long mountain descent. Fully-loaded bike. Wide road with a good surface, no traffic and great sight lines. I was impressed with myself. I usually won’t go over 35.

No no no no no no, nor with skinny old femurs, and second concussions in the elderly are a very bad thing. I'll get up into the low 40s occasionally around here. No idea what I used to do, because no instruments.

abshipp 06-19-20 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21542204)

On my ride yesterday I had the worst shimmy I've ever had on a ~25mph downhill when I took one hand off of the bars to get a drink. It was totally manageable, but still got my attention.

Both hands on the bars all the time when descending from now on, I suppose. It's generally stable, but the frame is pretty whippy. Planning on installing the lower half of a needle bearing headset for unrelated reasons, but it should help with the shimmy as well.

Bah Humbug 06-19-20 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21542216)
Oh, and I looked at the weekly leaderboard. Too many of y'all are actually trying this week. Stop it. :notamused:

I’m at 115.6 starting Monday. Does that knock you down another step? :roflmao:

MoAlpha 06-19-20 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21542211)
Nice.

I worded it incorrectly. When is the event? If you can get out and do intervals of 2/3/4x15'-7.5' at threshold with 7.5' rest between, then working up to 2 to 3x20' at threshold with 10" rest between, it sort of teaches one how to work that distance. A couple times a week. As said, pacing is the key, and knowing the course. The hilly part is always a treat, and I've always had an issue of wanting to rest on the downhill as opposed to keeping power down.

They're weekly, unsanctioned, club BS. I've done two already.

I've done a few threshold workouts with 10' on and 5' recovery x 4 or 5, so what you suggest is 100% doable. Next week!

I learned to pace races on the bike and mainly on foot before HRMs and blew up spectacularly or finished way too strong many times, so I can pretty much control the burn rate. I also know the course intimately.

abshipp 06-19-20 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21542216)

Ugh, I had a podium spot until Mo kicked me off with fake miles :notamused:

I've never done this kind of volume in a week before and I'm definitely feeling it. Pretty much all day yesterday I would try to stand up to get over a hill and my legs were just "lol no".

indyfabz 06-19-20 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21542217)
No no no no no no, nor with skinny old femurs, and second concussions in the elderly are a very bad thing. I'll get up into the low 40s occasionally around here. No idea what I used to do, because no instruments.

I hit 50 back in my college days when I didn't wear a helmet and wasn't on thinners. 49 coming into Ticonderoga, NY, while crossing the country. Top speed of the entire trip.

Slowing down a fully-loaded bike from 42 to take a photo has it's issues, but worth it. It was interesting because I had ridden that same descent 16 years earlier to the very day. Back then, the peaks were still completely covered in a lot of snow despite a relatively mild winter snow-wise.

#GlobalWarming

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...56759237a.jpeg

WhyFi 06-19-20 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21542223)
I’m at 115.6 starting Monday. Does that knock you down another step? :roflmao:

soidh. :innocent:

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21542227)
Ugh, I had a podium spot until Mo kicked me off with fake miles :notamused:

I've never done this kind of volume in a week before and I'm definitely feeling it. Pretty much all day yesterday I would try to stand up to get over a hill and my legs were just "lol no".

Despite not having that miles on the odo, my legs have some lingering fatigue, too. I'll definitely have to ride at a recovery pace tomorrow, at the very least.

LAJ 06-19-20 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21542224)
They're weekly, unsanctioned, club BS. I've done two already.

I've done a few threshold workouts with 10' on and 5' recovery x 4 or 5, so what you suggest is 100% doable. Next week!

I learned to pace races on the bike and mainly on foot before HRMs and blew up spectacularly or finished way too strong many times, so I can pretty much control the burn rate. I also know the course intimately.

Once reading, it looked like you were already at it. Way cool, and it's nice to have that race-type workout in the bank. Nothing is the same and training is still just training. I know your familiar with the ol bod, so knowing when to take a break, taper up, stuff like that, is also a help. The longer days at threshold just teach the mind how to eat out of that bowl of nastiness you strap onto your handlebars for a TT.

2manybikes 06-19-20 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21542168)
I slap a little on my neck each morning after I shave. Makes the chicks go wild.

:)

seedsbelize 06-19-20 08:18 AM

I feel muscle groups this morning. Must be getting ripped.

I do too. Glutes and abs.

bampilot06 06-19-20 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21542208)
Are you ready to open the can of tubeless worms? That would be my one caution - you *need* to run them with tubeless tires (although you can run tubes in those tubeless tires), so I don't think that I'd recommend them to someone that isn't already familiar with everything that tubeless entails.

That said, they're right up my alley - pretty light, moderately deep, perfect width for my bike and great tire volume. And the retail price isn't horrible.

Ive been looking at wheels for the heck of it. I search for clinchers and these were one of the ones that came up. I didn’t realize that those required tubeless.

seedsbelize 06-19-20 08:29 AM

Since my return to normal activities, I'm finding the days to be too short. I adopted some sedentary habits that I'd like to continue. And now it's time to walk the dogs and then ride. A good hour too late.