Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I guess I should probably wash my gloves more often (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1258489)

5pac3gh0st 09-11-22 06:50 PM

I guess I should probably wash my gloves more often

I swear the water/clothes detergent was clear before I dropped my gloves in and mixed it up. Yuck. How often do you clean your gloves?

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...31eac1cd06.jpg
nasty gloves

gringomojado 09-11-22 07:13 PM

Socks? Daily. Gloves? Semi- annually!

You walking on your hands? Maybe you are seeing dye from fabric?

gm

Rage 09-11-22 07:24 PM

My gloves get washed pretty frequently.

Rogerogeroge 09-11-22 07:26 PM

I used to wash my gloves semi-annually, now I wash them after every ride. That's the ticket. Now my helmet, I only wash that about annually, should do more.

Maelochs 09-11-22 07:26 PM

When i can smell my gloves with my hands on the hoods ..... actually every several rides at least,. because in a sticky climate gloves get really nasty really quickly.

CAT7RDR 09-11-22 08:32 PM

After every ride.
Is that so wrong?
What am I missing?
Gloves smell pretty funky on a humid day during the ride.
Guess I have some pretty strong olfactory sense.

Koyote 09-11-22 09:01 PM

Depends entirely on your conditions: dirt, dust, heat (=sweat). In other words, wash 'em when they're dirty.

bargo68 09-11-22 09:16 PM

I do normal laundry twice a month and my gloves, wool cap and neck gaiter go in every other wash. That is unless I have a hayfever episode and my gloves are glazed with dry snot or I have a mechanical and I forget to use the nitrile gloves I packed in bag so I don't have to get my hands dirty. I always forget those are in there.......

urbanknight 09-11-22 09:30 PM

Every... single...ride

tempocyclist 09-11-22 10:10 PM

I chuck my gloves in the wash the at same time as washing the rest of my kit!

That's after every ride, just to make that clear... 😅

terrymorse 09-11-22 10:23 PM

I wash gloves out after every ride. Just a little liquid hand soap in the sink, rinse them out, hang them up.

If I don’t wash them, they get that nasty “stank” smell.

Branko D 09-11-22 11:13 PM

All my kit goes in the sports kit hamper (to be washed in "sport mode and air dried) after every single use.

Gloves pick up a smell if you don't wash them.

The only piece which doesn't get a regular wash is the helmet, but it gets a lot less funk as I use a cycling cap almost all of the time.

SurferRosa 09-11-22 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by 5pac3gh0st (Post 22643863)
How often do you clean your gloves?

Never.

Eds0123 09-11-22 11:57 PM

In summer time, After every ride, gentle cycle with luke warm water, very little soap and air dry on a rack

delbiker1 09-12-22 12:54 AM

Occasionally. I usually just lay them out in the sun with my shoes.

Paul Barnard 09-12-22 04:38 AM

The cool thing about this place is that I learn something nearly every day. I had no idea that you could wash cycling gloves.

noimagination 09-12-22 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR (Post 22643952)
After every ride.
Is that so wrong?
What am I missing?
Gloves smell pretty funky on a humid day during the ride.
Guess I have some pretty strong olfactory sense.

It's certainly true that gloves get funky, in the summer after even one ride. That isn't very pleasant when you go to wipe your nose, or even your brow or other parts of your face. While odor-causing bacteria (plus mold? other?) don't seem to do much harm, if you can smell those bacteria who knows what else you're introducing to your mucous membranes? I'm hardly a germ-a-phobe, but even a casual concern for basic hygiene would cause one to wash anything that smells too bad.

During the summer, I rinse my gloves with water after a ride, let dry in the utility room, wash every 2-3 rides. During the winter, it's usually not that much of an issue. Wash when they get a little smelly (so, maybe after every 2-3 rides).

GhostRider62 09-12-22 05:11 AM

Never

I don't wear gloves unless it is winter and those don't get sweaty.

TiHabanero 09-12-22 05:40 AM

Been riding since 1971 and have never found it necessary to wash cycling gloves. It may be due to my sweat being less toxic or my nose being less sensitive, or that the gloves I use are the old school crochet cotton and leather type. They simply don't harbor bacteria like synthetics do.

Branko D 09-12-22 05:44 AM

Call me weird, but I wash my cotton clothes regularly.

GhostRider62 09-12-22 06:09 AM

Some people stink and the others just smell.

Milton Keynes 09-12-22 06:54 AM

I wash mine out occasionally, usually when they start stinking or I realize it's been a while since I've washed them. Usually just put a large bowl in the sink, then put a little bit of laundry detergent and warm water in the bowl and hand wash my gloves. Haven't noticed it with my current gloves but my old gloves would turn the water black. I suspect it was the dye coming out of the fabric & leather. My new gloves are grey instead of black, so that probably makes a difference.

Iride01 09-12-22 06:58 AM

Gloves get thrown in the washer with all the rest of my cycling clothes after every ride. Doesn't seem to bother the leather parts at all. Helmet gets rinsed off after every ride too as does the HR strap.

GhostRider62 09-12-22 07:04 AM

I do cycling laundry once per week, cold water and woolite with air dry on a clothesline. If I did it daily, the Green Police would arrest me for wasting energy and water.

skidder 09-12-22 07:13 AM

I rinse them out under running water in a sink, squeeze them a few times, then hang to dry. They're synthetic leather so water won't hurt them.