Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Men's Cycling 3/4 Tights (Knickers) (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1256732)

MAK 08-11-22 10:17 PM

Men's Cycling 3/4 Tights (Knickers)

Planning ahead for the Spring/early Winter...

I'm looking for 3/4 length non-bib cycling tights (knickers). PI used to make them, but no longer. When I search Google, the quality brands are all bib and everything else appears to be $20 - $30 stuff I wouldn't trust. Preferably, I'd also prefer no chamois as I'm happy to wear cycling shorts under the tights. I have knee warmers, but I'd prefer just the tights.

delbiker1 08-12-22 03:16 AM

I like 3/4 cycling pants, bibs and usual waist style. It seems they are not that easy to find, at least from companies that are known. I one from Chain Reaction Cycles that I like, except the waist rides pretty low on the hips. They have the gel padding variety on sale now for $62 usd, or so. I have not tried the gel. If I did, I would likely try large instead medium. They do not come without the insert.

mtbikerjohn 08-12-22 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by MAK (Post 22607543)

I'm looking for 3/4 length non-bib cycling tights (knickers). PI used to make them, but no longer. When I search Google, the quality brands are all bib and everything else appears to be $20 - $30 stuff I wouldn't trust. Preferably, I'd also prefer no chamois as I'm happy to wear cycling shorts under the tights. I have knee warmers, but I'd prefer just the tights.

I have a pair of these:

https://us.endurasport.com/hummvee-3.../13648022.html

Mine are a bit older style,but essentially the same. They came with a padded liner that is removable.

jgwilliams 08-12-22 04:34 AM

I've not found any non-bib ones. If it's any help to anyone, I've found Endura FS260-Pro gear exceptionally comfortable. My wife has some Gore Wear ones that she likes very much.

mtbikerjohn 08-12-22 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by mtbikerjohn (Post 22607619)
I have a pair of these:

https://us.endurasport.com/hummvee-3.../13648022.html

Mine are a bit older style,but essentially the same. They came with a padded liner that is removable.

Sorry.I just saw you were looking for tights. These are more like overpants.

Tandem Tom 08-12-22 05:02 AM

Got mine from AreoTec Design in Pittsburgh. They make them there!

delbiker1 08-12-22 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by jgwilliams (Post 22607620)
I've not found any non-bib ones. If it's any help to anyone, I've found Endura FS260-Pro gear exceptionally comfortable. My wife has some Gore Wear ones that she likes very much.

I have 2 Gore wear bib style. I liked the first one a lot, saw another on sale and bought it. IME, they are quite comfortable with a good fit, but Gore-Tex sizing is small. Ergo, I order large instead of my usual medium.. They are not for cold weather, for me, maybe high 40's depending on wind. I have worn them into the low 80's and they are not bad heat wise. I wear some kind of cover almost all the time, anyway, only sun knee's/sleeves have to found to fee a bit cooler.

masi61 08-12-22 07:58 AM

I also have a set of Gore brand bib knickers that are more of a summer weight. I like them. The fabric is more lightweight so (as delbiker1 noted you can wear them in warmer temps) .Can't help with knickers for a man that are not the bib type.

IcySwan1 08-12-22 08:17 PM

I have Boler bib shorts and tights. Made in USA. Here are the knickers

https://store.voler.com/collections/...oducts/1110802

Trsnrtr 08-13-22 04:49 AM

If you are wearing shorts under and just need something light, I found that several athletic companies are making "workout" 3/4 tights and they work great for me and pack easy into a jersey pocket if it warms up. Dicks sporting goods sells their own brand plus Nike and other companies. Because they tend to be thinner, I also bought full length tights for those days that are cool but not cold enough for thicker cycling tights.

martianone 08-13-22 07:24 PM

I make mine by shortening the legs of soft ball pants.....
Wear great, inexpensive, no chain ring kiss mark.

Rolla 08-13-22 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tandem Tom (Post 22607632)
Got mine from AreoTec Design in Pittsburgh. They make them there!

+1 on AeroTech. I don't love everything they make, but I do love their knickers.

Leisesturm 08-15-22 04:11 AM

Cross country ski pants, or what are called plus four's or plus two's.

CheGiantForLife 08-16-22 06:50 AM

What is the bib for? I didn't realize you guys eat while riding!
I thought carrying a golf club was dangerous.

rumrunn6 08-16-22 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife (Post 22612073)
What is the bib for?

I believe the straps take away any need for suspenders. basically, the upper part keeps the lower part in place

WhyFi 08-16-22 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 22612255)
I believe the straps take away any need for suspenders. basically, the upper part keeps the lower part in place

He's trollin', yo.

rumrunn6 08-16-22 09:28 AM

Wifey has some lined "capri" cycling pants (tights) that she likes a lot. She may have bought them off the shelf, at LL Bean or REI. I'll ask ...

jack pot 08-16-22 09:32 AM

you might check out rock climbing pants at REI or OR or Patagonia or Mountain Hardware:thumb:

Frank72 08-16-22 10:28 AM

I have a pair of Canary Gel Tights. Academy sells them. They work great for me. They are also full length not 3/4.

rumrunn6 08-16-22 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 22612268)
Wifey has some lined "capri" cycling pants (tights) that she likes a lot. She may have bought them off the shelf, at LL Bean or REI. I'll ask ...

here we go she found them, they're Baleaf brand she usually wears "size 10" jeans (ladies), with this she likes "Large". there must be a men's model too

BALEAF Women's Bike Shorts 3D Padded High Waist Cycling Pants Capris Biking Tights Breathable 3/4 Spin UPF 50+

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...724308a6e6.png
she says the padded liner is not too thick & is comfortable to ride on. when she walks around in them they don't look bulky either

Leisesturm 08-18-22 03:48 AM

I think this is a good time to determine if these kinckers are for a man or woman. As of 2022, Capris Pants are still not a garment that would fit most men comfortably.

Badger6 08-18-22 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by MAK (Post 22607543)

I'm looking for 3/4 length non-bib cycling tights (knickers). PI used to make them, but no longer. When I search Google, the quality brands are all bib and everything else appears to be $20 - $30 stuff I wouldn't trust.

3/4 tights (knickers) were quite popular (I had a few sets as bibs) from the early 10s. But, most (all?) of the reputable clothing manufacturers follow race trends, and when the new pros in the late 10s/early 20s went back to bib shorts and knee warmers, so did the manufacturers. Best bet is a good quality bib or short, with a good quality knee or leg warmer added. I say all this with the assumption that you want a chamois. If you don’t you can buy yoga pants.

CheGiantForLife 08-19-22 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Leisesturm (Post 22614324)
I think this is a good time to determine if these kinckers are for a man or woman. As of 2022, Capris Pants are still not a garment that would fit most men comfortably.

Buy Spiderman Speedos are kosher ?

southpier 08-19-22 08:36 AM

i guess wool knickers are scarcer than hens teeth then?

do we like Nalini??? Nalini Cycling Clothing - Nalini USA

Kucharik is out of stock in lard-ass size (XL) Wool Cycling Short 6 Panel – Kucharik

J_Chickles 08-19-22 11:26 AM

Its really not that complex

Men's HeatGear® Armour ¾ Leggings | Under Armour