Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

datlas 02-25-22 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22421118)
That was my guess, based on the direction of your view. That trail starts a short distance from where I grew up. Nice day for a hike...or bike ride :)

Yes it’s gorgeous. I told my cycling friend that for the afternoon we can do an easy recovery ride, possibly the route you suggested, or maybe the safe/boring circuit around the Rose Bowl.

indyfabz 02-25-22 01:14 PM

R.I.P. Sally Kellerman, Hot Lips in the M*A*S*H film, etc.

Koyote 02-25-22 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22421094)
A friend of mine doesn’t quite have a good approach to Wordle sometimes. Here is her effort this morning. *smh*

Wordle 251 6/6

⬛⬛⬛🟩⬛
🟩⬛⬛🟩🟩
⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Once or twice, when I was really stumped, I've plugged in a word that didn't use each of my 'greens' - just to try some other letters in the other slots when I couldn't come up with a word that used each of the greens. Not sure if I'm explaining that very well, but maybe you get the idea.

But yeah, three Hail Mary guesses like that in a row? Not smart.

Eric F 02-25-22 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22421125)

BillyD 02-25-22 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22421125)

Was that the same Hot Lips actress in the tv series? They look very close to me.

Eric F 02-25-22 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22421179)
Was that the same Hot Lips actress in the tv series? They look very close to me.

The TV show was Loretta Swit.

indyfabz 02-25-22 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22421179)

Loretta Switt

indyfabz 02-25-22 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22421150)

"Why don't you call me some time when you...have no class."

There is a collection of his funny one liners from the film on YouTube.

WhyFi 02-25-22 02:23 PM

So, after carefully considering which drill and impact driver set would adequately fill my needs with minimal overkill... I ordered Makita's top-of-the-line kit that's got gobs of obscene power that I'll likely never use. :roflmao:

I really wanted to get the subcompact kit, but the latest one isn't on shelves yet, the old ones aren't being discounted much and I found a deal for this kit that was too good to pass up! I'll console myself with the fact that the impact driver is still so small that it's not meaningfully more bulky than the subcompact. The drill? Well, it is two pounds heavier than the subcompact drill that I had in mind... but it's still only 5lbs with the big battery and the outrageous power will probably bring a smile to my face every time I pull the trigger. :lol:

Eric F 02-25-22 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22421191)
So, after carefully considering which drill and impact driver set would adequately fill my needs with minimal overkill... I ordered Makita's top-of-the-line kit that's got gobs of obscene power that I'll likely never use. :roflmao:

I really wanted to get the subcompact kit, but the latest one isn't on shelves yet, the old ones aren't being discounted much and I found a deal for this kit that was too good to pass up! I'll console myself with the fact that the impact driver is still so small that it's not meaningfully more bulky than the subcompact. The drill? Well, it is two pounds heavier than the subcompact drill that I had in mind... but it's still only 5lbs with the big battery and the outrageous power will probably bring a smile to my face every time I pull the trigger. :lol:

You can get around town in an old Toyota Tercel, but a new Porsche Carrera makes it much more fun.

indyfabz 02-25-22 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22421140)

But yeah, three Hail Mary guesses like that in a row? Not smart.

I later explained above that, after her second guess and the letters she had already tried, there was only one possible choice.

After my third guess there was only one possible choice, but it took me a while to figure it out.

Koyote 02-25-22 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22421200)
I later explained above that, after her second guess and the letters she had already tried, there was only one possible choice.

After my third guess there was only one possible choice, but it took me a while to figure it out.

Ditto. I got it on the fourth try.

WhyFi 02-25-22 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22421199)
You can get around town in an old Toyota Tercel, but a new Porsche Carrera makes it much more fun.

My main concern with the bad mama jamas was that the weight and size might be an obstacle - I've sold multiple lenses that I've loved, optically, because they were big enough and heavy enough to be a burden and they constantly got left at home. I'm absolutely certain that's not going to be the case with the impact driver... the drill? Yeeeeah, we'll see. If it really bothers me, there's a chance that I buy a smaller battery for it (the kit comes with two 5Ah batteries, which are probably pretty hefty) and/or that I just pick up a bare-tool subcompact some time in the future when there's a deal to be had. We'll see.

Eric F 02-25-22 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22421209)
My main concern with the bad mama jamas was that the weight and size might be an obstacle - I've sold multiple lenses that I've loved, optically, because they were big enough and heavy enough to be a burden and they constantly got left at home. I'm absolutely certain that's not going to be the case with the impact driver... the drill? Yeeeeah, we'll see. If it really bothers me, there's a chance that I buy a smaller battery for it (the kit comes with two 5Ah batteries, which are probably pretty hefty) and/or that I just pick up a bare-tool subcompact some time in the future when there's a deal to be had. We'll see.

5Ah batteries are great when you're somewhere like a jobsite where you might not have access to a charger, and you need the tool to work all day. In your shop, where you can have batteries charged and ready to swap, a smaller battery can definitely make things easier to handle. All that said, the answer is to buy some smaller batteries AND another tool. Obviously.

My latest buy is a pocket hole jig...https://masscaproducts.com/collectio.../massca-m2-pro

WhyFi 02-25-22 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22421213)
All that said, the answer is to buy some smaller batteries AND another tool. Obviously.

Obviously.

:lol:

Mojo31 02-25-22 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22421209)

I didn't stop taking my big lenses with me until 2020. We had a northern Arizona hiking trip planned until Covid shut us down, and in my backpack was a Canon 1DX, 300 f2.8, 100 f2.8 macro, 16-35 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, teleconverter, and EOS R with 24-105 f4 as my backup. Plus, filters, extra batteries, chargers, wireless shutter releases, water bladder, and tripod. Bag weighed about 35 pounds. That was 2 years ago when I was a ute.

Now, it's just the EOS R, lens and CPL for travel, for the most part.

There is no substitute.

Case closed.

Mojo31 02-25-22 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22421191)

Proud of you, son. ;):bday:

LesterOfPuppets 02-25-22 02:58 PM

I'm usually disappointed driving nice cars around town. I want so badly to get them out on some open highway!

Eric F 02-25-22 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22421227)
I'm usually disappointed driving nice cars around town. I want so badly to get them out on some open highway!

Even then, you don't NEED 500hp to roll happily along at socially-acceptable speeds....but is sure is nice to have it. ;)

Mojo31 02-25-22 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22421227)

I sometimes leave an hour early for work when the weather is nice. It sometimes takes me an hour to drive the 4 miles home. Both are great opportunities to scout new ride routes as well.

Just do it.

Mojo31 02-25-22 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22421229)
Even then, you don't NEED 500hp to roll happily along at socially-acceptable speeds....but is sure is nice to have it 500hp. ;)

Fixed.

Mojo31 02-25-22 03:07 PM

Two things any self-respecting man cannot live without - horsepower and torque.

LesterOfPuppets 02-25-22 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22421229)
Even then, you don't NEED 500hp to roll happily along at socially-acceptable speeds....but is sure is nice to have it. ;)

I'm happy with 200hp in something that handles speedbumps well, maybe a cornvertible ...

WhyFi 02-25-22 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22421222)
I didn't stop taking my big lenses with me until 2020. We had a northern Arizona hiking trip planned until Covid shut us down, and in my backpack was a Canon 1DX, 300 f2.8, 100 f2.8 macro, 16-35 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, teleconverter, and EOS R with 24-105 f4 as my backup. Plus, filters, extra batteries, chargers, wireless shutter releases, water bladder, and tripod. Bag weighed about 35 pounds. That was 2 years ago when I was a ute.

Now, it's just the EOS R, lens and CPL for travel, for the most part.

Yeah, I used to carry a bunch of crap with me, ostensibly to not miss a shot. I eventually realized that I spent more time dicking with lens swaps than actually taking pictures. After that, I started considering my mood and selecting one lens to mount, and leaving the rest behind at the house/hotel. That's when the heavy lenses started collecting dust. I still miss the rendering of my Zeiss 1.4/35 Distagon, but that brick went years seeing little-to-no action.

datlas 02-25-22 03:20 PM

Hey Velo Vol I went out for a quick burrito for lunch and saw this place.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b7eabd021.jpeg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9a332c029.jpeg