Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Can you wear regular padded bike jerseys under regular pants? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=982216)

digaz 11-18-14 01:53 PM

Can you wear regular padded bike jerseys under regular pants?

I know they sell padded bike liners/underwear to be worn under regular clothes, but they cost just as much as regular biking pants. Could I just buy the regular cycling pants and wear those under my regular pants instead since I can't find any local stores carrying padded biker boxer briefs?

KenshiBiker 11-18-14 01:55 PM

Ummm. You might want to change the title of your post.

As far as wearing padded shorts under your regular pants, I don't see why not. I don't see why you would, but that doesn't mean you can't.

Elvo 11-18-14 02:27 PM

Of course you can but why would you?

indyfabz 11-18-14 02:32 PM

I sense a (lame) attempt to start another amusing thread.

woodcraft 11-18-14 02:38 PM

Assuming you meant shorts & not jerseys, yes.

Actual liner shorts as opposed to 'padded underwear' are cheap, 'tho, & work pretty well.

Nashbar Liner Shorts

mcours2006 11-18-14 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by KenshiBiker (Post 17318690)
Ummm. You might want to change the title of your post..

I'm curious what the original title was. Never mind.

I've worn padded shorts under running tights (or vise versa) in colder temperatures. There's no rule for this sort of thing, despite what some around here will have you believe. If you're comfortable with the idea then do it. No permission required.

kv501 11-18-14 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by mcours2006 (Post 17319002)
I'm curious what the original title was.

The OP asked if you could wear padded bike jerseys under regular pants. Do you wear jerseys under pants?

Nachoman 11-18-14 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by digaz (Post 17318685)
Can you wear regular padded bike jerseys under regular pants?

http://www.viceland.com/int/v16n3/ht...rlin-714/3.jpg

milkbaby 11-18-14 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nachoman (Post 17319024)

That's the jersey over pants, not what the OP asked...

But in response to the OP, just wear your bike shorts under regular pants unless you want to spend a lot of money getting a high quality bike liner/underwear with good chamois. The one benefit of those types of underwear would be that they are probably a little cooler and made of more breatheable fabric than your regular shorts. I think Rapha is selling some merino boxers on ebay but you might want to check what chamois pad they use.

jprides 11-18-14 04:45 PM

Any chamois under regular clothes would probably look like you're wearing depends.

OldsCOOL 11-18-14 04:59 PM

Pics or it didnt happen.

digaz 11-18-14 05:45 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure exactly what the difference between padded bike shorts/jerseys vs padded boxer biker briefs or liners. Seems like everything is $50 and over. I just want something that doesn't cost expensive with sufficient padding for my behind and protect myself from saddle sore. Must be form fitting enough to be worn under regular pants though.

If anyone has a link perhaps on amazon of what I'm looking for and can show me?

Jiggle 11-18-14 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by jprides (Post 17319208)
Any chamois under regular clothes would probably look like you're wearing depends.

I do it all the time. It works out fine. If it were women's skin tight pants, then maybe so.

Jiggle 11-18-14 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by digaz (Post 17319369)

I have a bunch of these. They are quite nice and hold up great.

Bike Men Cycling Bicycle Fashion Padded Bib Shorts Pant Outdoor Sport Wear Black | eBay

digaz 11-18-14 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jiggle (Post 17319607)
I have a bunch of these. They are quite nice and hold up great.

Bike Men Cycling Bicycle Fashion Padded Bib Shorts Pant Outdoor Sport Wear Black | eBay

Thanks, how's the padding on those? I tried on a few at my LBS and I find the padding a bit thin on most.

Jiggle 11-18-14 07:30 PM

The padding is good.

bbattle 11-18-14 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by digaz (Post 17318685)
I know they sell padded bike liners/underwear to be worn under regular clothes, but they cost just as much as regular biking pants. Could I just buy the regular cycling pants and wear those under my regular pants instead since I can't find any local stores carrying padded biker boxer briefs?

Digaz, Google "urban cycling pants" or "casual cycling wear"

lots of pants made for cycling so you don't have to wear cycling shorts underneath.

Another thing to try is to see what the Singlespeed/Fixed Gear forum has to say on this subject.

The chamois pad is not to soften the ride so much as to eliminate chafing which can lead to saddle sores. A big thick pad is not what you want or need.

And don't even think of getting a big squishy gel saddle.

achoo 11-18-14 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jiggle (Post 17319593)
I do it all the time. It works out fine. If it were women's skin tight pants, then maybe so.

What? Wear Depends?

Originally Posted by Jiggle (Post 17319650)
The padding is good.

I bet.

:D

Jiggle 11-18-14 08:23 PM

Hey, I can sit down anywhere and be comfortable. Don't knock it until you try it.

woodcraft 11-18-14 08:54 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure exactly what the difference between padded bike shorts/jerseys vs padded boxer biker briefs or liners. Seems like everything is $50 and over. I just want something that doesn't cost expensive with sufficient padding for my behind and protect myself from saddle sore. Must be form fitting enough to be worn under regular pants though.

I already did in post #5

digaz 11-18-14 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by bbattle (Post 17319754)
Digaz, Google "urban cycling pants" or "casual cycling wear"

lots of pants made for cycling so you don't have to wear cycling shorts underneath.

Another thing to try is to see what the Singlespeed/Fixed Gear forum has to say on this subject.

The chamois pad is not to soften the ride so much as to eliminate chafing which can lead to saddle sores. A big thick pad is not what you want or need.

And don't even think of getting a big squishy gel saddle.

Very nice, this is more on the line of what I'm talking about. I love riding but can't stand jerseys, tight fitting spandex or lycra, just not my thing.

68venable 11-18-14 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by digaz (Post 17319872)
I love riding but can't stand jerseys, tight fitting spandex or lycra, just not my thing.

The more you ride, the more it grows on you.

achoo 11-18-14 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by 68venable (Post 17319984)
The more you ride, the more it grows on you.

Yep.

Try riding for 3-4 hours in 95F heat or 35F rain in non-cycling clothing some time.

If you haven't ridden in those conditions, you don't know what you're talking about when you criticize cycling-specific clothing.

digaz 11-18-14 10:32 PM

I never ride that long anyways, about 30minutes to an hour at most. I'm more of a casual rider. I'm not hardcore or anything, hence why I don't see the need for cycling clothes. I'm not doing this to enter tour de france. If it was 35F and raining, I wouldn't be out anyways.

Machka 11-18-14 11:19 PM

I'm not sure exactly what the difference between padded bike shorts/jerseys ...

Do you know what a jersey is?

A hint: Jerseys don't come padded.