Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Cino MMXXIV - it’s on: 9/14/2024 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1286331)

mountaindave 12-10-23 09:28 AM

Cino MMXXIV - it’s on: 9/14/2024

Firstly, thank you for your patience.
Secondly, after much public input and team deliberation, we are returning the timing of Cino to its origins: after Labor Day. The dates this year are September 14-15, 2024.

There is a laundry list of reasons, but we want to make the experience better for our riders in as many ways as possible: weather, travel expenses, training opportunities, etc. This seems to be the best time for riders and school volunteers (it is the second weekend after the start of school so we’ll have our feet solidly under us).

Cino is about celebrating the past. Yet in life, the only constant is change. It’s a dichotomy where the gap between now and then grows ever larger with time and the links to the past become ever more precious. Perhaps that’s why we cherish it so much.

Cino evolves as well. We have embraced vintage MTB’s, welcomed new-fangled devices like clicky-shifter thingies. But the spirit of Cino has remain unchanged: we ride through time to a place where our idealized memories live and soak in the camaraderie of a truly great group of people who love one of the simplest pleasures in life: cycling.

Registration to be rolled out early in the new year, but for now, please save the date - we hope to see you in September!

Happy Holidays!
David “That Cino Guy” Cummings

panzerwagon 12-10-23 10:52 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I’ve booked my hotel! Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones.

davester 12-10-23 11:22 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Oh Great Cino Spiritual Leader!

northbend 12-10-23 11:54 AM

CINO CINO CINO!
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...8720a16_6k.jpgOld Cino Route Map by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Classtime 12-10-23 11:54 AM

I'm hoping that EroicaCA moves back to Spring.

pastorbobnlnh 12-10-23 12:00 PM

I have wanted to participate in Cino for years. Retirement finally made it more practical (most church pastors never take the 2nd Sunday of September off). Moving it to July made me seriously explore the costs and logistics. The expense of the trip to Cino in July was high. My wife asked "So your two days of riding will cost $$$$? How much is that per mile?" I could quickly see she had a valid argument.

Moving it back to mid-September might drive the cost down to a more reasonable amount. I'll be working the numbers and plotting the logistics after the first of the year. Maybe I can finally make Cino and join in the great company of C&V riders.

gugie 12-10-23 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by northbend (Post 23096340)

Glad to see that Matt has a map for this year...:D

Thanks for moving it to September, Dave!

panzerwagon 12-10-23 12:35 PM

What’s the expected moon dust depth for September? Need to decide between 19mm and 21mm tubulars... :innocent:

gugie 12-10-23 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by panzerwagon (Post 23096392)
What’s the expected moon dust depth for September? Need to decide between 19mm and 21mm tubulars...

The Vegas over and under line is starting at 8, and moving northward.

Robvolz 12-10-23 01:12 PM

building proper 1970 his/hers cinellis on rigidas that will hold the widest clinchers possible.

squirtdad 12-10-23 02:36 PM

this is super. for me personally the date change is great as I have to be in Montana on the Fourth of july for a major class reunion. the separation means 2 trips to Montana. I have happy, wife will not be

bikingshearer 12-10-23 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by panzerwagon (Post 23096392)
What’s the expected moon dust depth for September? Need to decide between 19mm and 21mm tubulars... :innocent:

Meh, just bring a dozen or two and you'll be fine. Make sure they're aged a looooooooooooong time.:innocent:

davester 12-10-23 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Robvolz (Post 23096428)
building proper 1970 his/hers cinellis on rigidas that will hold the widest clinchers possible.

Just a slight deviation from your last year's ride!

Robvolz 12-10-23 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by davester (Post 23096873)
Just a slight deviation from your last year's ride!

but, now I know the numbers….

count on me providing Friday night social hour beers again

And more amazing wines Saturday night.

davester 12-10-23 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Robvolz (Post 23096881)
but, now I know the numbers….

count on me providing Friday night social hour beers again

And more amazing wines Saturday night.

Sounds great!

For your edification, my favorite Rob Volz conversation (may not be an exact transcript, but pretty close):

Temperature: Damn high! Sag wagon pulls alongside Davester approximately 5 miles before reaching Hot Springs...

Rob Volz (leaning out of right side of sag wagon): "What do you need"

Davester: "I've got pretty bad heat cramps, I can't shift into any of my low gears, and ran out of water a while back. I just need to refill my water bottle".

Rob: "We ran out of water a while ago. We've got beer"

Davester: "You've got to be kidding. Just give me anything that's liquid and nonalcoholic".

Rob's girlfriend rummages around in the icebox, mumbles something to Rob.

Rob: "We've only got beer and hard cider, which one do you want?"

Davester: "Give me a hard cider".

Rob: "Don't worry, we'll come back and pick you up as soon as we drop everyone off at Hot Springs".

Davester: "Are you kidding me? I can see Hot Springs from here. I don't want a ride. I'll crawl there if I have to!"

Rob: "I'll see you at dinner".

nesteel 12-10-23 10:05 PM

The universe saw fit to make me into a solo act, so I will do my very best to make it to Cino 2024.

majmt 12-10-23 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by nesteel (Post 23096910)
The universe saw fit to make me into a solo act, so I will do my very best to make it to Cino 2024.

It’s a beautiful ride with good folks…………you won’t be solo.

nesteel 12-10-23 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by majmt (Post 23096927)
It’s a beautiful ride with good folks…………you won’t be solo.

Rode it in 2015. Then we were supposed to take a vacation up there in 2016 so I could ride it again. That got interrupted by a death in the family and we never got around to planning another trip up together. She'll be with me in spirit for 2024.

smontanaro 12-11-23 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by mountaindave (Post 23096191)
... we are returning the timing of Cino to its origins: after Labor Day. The dates this year are September 14-15, 2024.

I added an entry in the vintage cycling events calendar. When you have an official way to view the event (outside of this thread) accessible to any interested parties, let me know and I'll include a link.

AdventureManCO 12-11-23 11:51 AM

I’ve admired from afar, but this might be the year. Will talk to the wife about it. Anyone driving through Colorado?

If I can come, I will only be bringing one bike. The one.

bikingshearer 12-11-23 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Robvolz (Post 23096428)

Your probably looking at 28-32mm. Wider is gooder on this ride. But then, you knew that . .

My mid-1960s Cinelli maxed out at 32mm wide Gatorskins this year, which were adequate (barely) going downhill in the moon dust. An early 1970s Cinelli may not accommodate 32s - the geometry had tightend up a bit by then. I never made it to the point of going uphill in moon dust, so I can't advise on that.

. .

squirtdad 12-11-23 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by davester (Post 23096895)
Sounds great!

For your edification, my favorite Rob Volz conversation (may not be an exact transcript, but pretty close):

Temperature: Damn high! Sag wagon pulls alongside Davester approximately 5 miles before reaching Hot Springs...

Rob Volz (leaning out of right side of sag wagon): "What do you need"

Davester: "I've got pretty bad heat cramps, I can't shift into any of my low gears, and ran out of water a while back. I just need to refill my water bottle".

Rob: "We ran out of water a while ago. We've got beer"

Davester: "You've got to be kidding. Just give me anything that's liquid and nonalcoholic".

Rob's girlfriend rummages around in the icebox, mumbles something to Rob.

Rob: "We've only got beer and hard cider, which one do you want?"

Davester: "Give me a hard cider".

Rob: "Don't worry, we'll come back and pick you up as soon as we drop everyone off at Hot Springs".

Davester: "Are you kidding me? I can see Hot Springs from here. I don't want a ride. I'll crawl there if I have to!"

Rob: "I'll see you at dinner".

shoulda taken beer and cider...... and be in contention for the Jacques Anquetil award

davester 12-11-23 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by squirtdad (Post 23097468)
shoulda taken beer and cider...... and be in contention for the Jacques Anquetil award

If my thinking processes hadn't been so addled due to heat stress I might have tried that.

mountaindave 12-11-23 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by smontanaro (Post 23097136)
I added an entry in the vintage cycling events calendar. When you have an official way to view the event (outside of this thread) accessible to any interested parties, let me know and I'll include a link.

Will do, thanks!

Andy_K 12-12-23 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO (Post 23097328)
I’ve admired from afar, but this might be the year. Will talk to the wife about it. Anyone driving through Colorado?

If I can come, I will only be bringing one bike. The one.

Time to start lobbying the organizers for a Huffy theme. :thumb: