Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Lock your damn bikes!!! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1213618)

LV2TNDM 09-22-20 02:34 PM

Lock your damn bikes!!!

"Our bikes were stolen from our back yard!"
"My bike was stolen from my garage."
"My girlfriend's bike was stolen from our storage unit."

OMG the tales of woe from people who have had their bikes stolen just sitting in a garage or back yard. One NextDoor posting said, "My beloved Bianchi was stolen from my side yard...."

Well, if it was so "beloved," why did you leave it unlocked in your back yard? During a pandemic crime spike? IN OAKLAND?!!!!

Please people, get a clue!

And there is no such thing as "a bike too nice to lock!" I'm SO SICK of hearing arrogant cyclists with their "really, really nice bikes" saying theirs is ABOVE locking up, it's just so nice. "I never leave it anywhere!" they say. Really? You sleep with it? Bring it into your office at work? Commute to and from work with your carbon race bike, even though you commute on another bike? Wow, that I'd LOVE to see.

No, bikes are left sitting. This is reality. There is no bike "too nice to lock." The nicer the bike, the better the lock you should be using. Lock your garages and then lock your bikes IN the garage. And if you're like me with about 15 bikes in the garage averaging about three grand each,

And yes, a lot of stolen bikes WERE locked, and often with quality locks. I know even the best locks are quickly defeated by today's portable angle grinders. The exception? Allmax security chains and Squire padlocks. They sell some HUGE ****ers that are indeed grinder proof. But at $750 and 60 pounds, they aren't something to bring to the cafe!

University metallurgists in the UK developed "Proteus," a supposedly grinder-proof ceramic composite. They are letting some security companies work with the material, so let's hope some new bike locks are forthcoming.

In the mean time, make your bikes hard to steal. Don't make yourself an easy target.

Troul 09-22-20 02:38 PM

paint it camo & no one will see it, not even the owner.

Cyclist0108 09-22-20 02:39 PM

Suddenly those handlebar bag rant threads are looking more attractive.

indyfabz 09-22-20 02:45 PM

I recently finished a 9 day tour across PA. Camped 6 of the 8 nights. Locked the bike one night. Never locked it while grocery shopping. That’s pretty much SOP when I tour.

I had a bike stolen from inside my house while I was home and awake.

bruce19 09-22-20 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21707897)
I recently finished a 9 day tour across PA. Camped 6 of the 8 nights. Locked the bike one night. Never locked it while grocery shopping. That’s pretty much SOP when I tour.

I had a bike stolen from inside my house while I was home and awake.

You need a pit bull.

indyfabz 09-22-20 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by bruce19 (Post 21707934)
You need a pit bull.

Yeah. The cat proved useless, but he did scare the pants off the cop one he finally arrived an hour after the burglar had left.

Reflector Guy 09-22-20 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 21707885)
paint it camo & no one will see it, not even the owner.

That's what the photographers with the $6000 Leica cameras do - they put a piece of tape over the logo so everyone thinks it's invisible!!

SurferRosa 09-22-20 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by LV2TNDM (Post 21707875)
Well, if it was so "beloved," why did you leave it unlocked in your back yard? During a pandemic crime spike? IN OAKLAND?!!!! Please people, get a clue! And there is no such thing as "a bike too nice to lock!" I'm SO SICK of hearing arrogant cyclists with their "really, really nice bikes" saying theirs is ABOVE locking up, it's just so nice. "I never leave it anywhere!" they say. Really? You sleep with it? Bring it into your office at work? Commute to and from work with your carbon race bike, even though you commute on another bike? Wow, that I'd LOVE to see.

Maybe try decaf.

I never lock any of my bikes outside my home. Yes, they are "too nice." I'm either on it, it's beside me, or close-by. And I live car-free.

Mojo31 09-22-20 03:55 PM

Most garage thefts are a result of leaving the door open. Don't leave the door open. "Open" includes one that is easy to open from the outside, whether the garage door or a separate side door.

Here is something I learned from our local police chief - don't leave your garage door opener visible inside your car that is parked in your driveway or on the street. Thieves will walk through neighborhoods looking for them. When they see one, they will pop out a window, and then use the opener to access the house or garage.

fishboat 09-22-20 03:58 PM

OMG the tales of woe from people who have had their bikes stolen just sitting......................................................................................

Sigh..

Methinks you've been eating to much red meat.

Mojo31 09-22-20 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy (Post 21707950)
That's what the photographers with the $6000 Leica cameras do - they put a piece of tape over the logo so everyone thinks it's invisible!!

I've been involved in photography for a lot of years with Canon professional bodies and big white lenses that cost much more than that, and have never seen anyone tape over the name. Even if you cover the brand, it wouldn't matter. Just don't leave your stuff laying around unattended.

fujidon 09-22-20 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 21708021)
Most garage thefts are a result of leaving the door open. Don't leave the door open. "Open" includes one that is easy to open from the outside, whether the garage door or a separate side door.

Here is something I learned from our local police chief - don't leave your garage door opener visible inside your car that is parked in your driveway or on the street. Thieves will walk through neighborhoods looking for them. When they see one, they will pop out a window, and then use the opener to access the house or garage.

It's not just visible garage door openers. New cars come with built-in remotes and I'm sure the "bad guys" know this.

That's why my garage door opener is plugged into a smart plug. The smart plug is programmed to only allow power to the garage door opener at the times of my choosing. For example, it's off for most of the night so the remotes wouldn't work even if they broke into the car. I can turn it on/off remotely even when I'm not home.

genejockey 09-22-20 04:08 PM

People are still using their garages for cars? What a concept! Everyone here just parks in the driveway.

Mojo31 09-22-20 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by fujidon (Post 21708047)
It's not just visible garage door openers. New cars come with built-in remotes and I'm sure the "bad guys" know this.

That's why my garage door opener is plugged into a smart plug. The smart plug is programmed to only allow power to the garage door opener at the times of my choosing. For example, it's off for most of the night so the remotes wouldn't work even if they broke into the car. I can turn it on/off remotely even when I'm not home.

True if they work with the car power off. We keep our cars with HomeLink in the garage - they never park outside.

Smart plug is a good choice. Another good choice are the smart garage door openers that alert you when they are opened.

phughes 09-22-20 04:13 PM

:50:
:popcorn

Mojo31 09-22-20 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21708058)
People are still using their garages for cars? What a concept! Everyone here just parks in the driveway.

Yep, the only time cars are in the drive is if the kids are home or we have guests. We live in one of "those types" of neighborhoods where people park in their garages. Wouldn't have it any other way. I also have one of "those" types of garages where you can walk without getting your feet dirty.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...09f9f4a9c7.jpg

downtube42 09-22-20 04:28 PM

Ride your bike. Enjoy. Get where you want to be. That's the point.

Lock it it not, live with the consequences.

Marcus_Ti 09-22-20 04:37 PM

OMG the tales of woe from people who have had their bikes stolen just sitting in a garage or back yard. One NextDoor posting said, "My beloved Bianchi was stolen from my side yard...."

Well, if it was so "beloved," why did you leave it unlocked in your back yard? During a pandemic crime spike? IN OAKLAND?!!!!

And there is no such thing as "a bike too nice to lock!" I'm SO SICK of hearing arrogant cyclists with their "really, really nice bikes" saying theirs is ABOVE locking up, it's just so nice. "I never leave it anywhere!" they say. Really? You sleep with it? Bring it into your office at work? Commute to and from work with your carbon race bike, even though you commute on another bike? Wow, that I'd LOVE to see.

No, bikes are left sitting. This is reality. There is no bike "too nice to lock." The nicer the bike, the better the lock you should be using. Lock your garages and then lock your bikes IN the garage. And if you're like me with about 15 bikes in the garage averaging about three grand each,

And yes, a lot of stolen bikes WERE locked, and often with quality locks. I know even the best locks are quickly defeated by today's portable angle grinders. The exception? Allmax security chains and Squire padlocks. They sell some HUGE ****ers that are indeed grinder proof. But at $750 and 60 pounds, they aren't something to bring to the cafe!

University metallurgists in the UK developed "Proteus," a supposedly grinder-proof ceramic composite. They are letting some security companies work with the material, so let's hope some new bike locks are forthcoming.

In the mean time, make your bikes hard to steal. Don't make yourself an easy target.

You can pick bike locks faster than you can angle grind them.

Commuting to werk, I'd never leave a bike outside unattended even on a busy street in a populated area

https://www.youtube.com/c/lockpickin...ry=bike%20lock

jay4usc 09-22-20 04:44 PM

with that many bikes in your garage, someone saw a gold mine and you are now a target. They will probably be back for more bikes and thief’s will always find a way if they want it bad enough.

mstateglfr 09-22-20 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 21708079)
Yep, the only time cars are in the drive is if the kids are home or we have guests. We live in one of "those types" of neighborhoods where people park in their garages. Wouldn't have it any other way. I also have one of "those" types of garages where you can walk without getting your feet dirty.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...09f9f4a9c7.jpg

That looks exhausting, but everyone needs a hobby.

"Here lies mojo. He kept his garage floor spotless." For sure how I want to be remembered.**

Mojo31 09-22-20 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 21708154)
That looks exhausting, but everyone needs a hobby.

"Here lies mojo. He kept his garage floor spotless." For sure how I want to be remembered.**

Lol.

It’s not hard to maintain. Gets blown out with a leaf blower from time to time, and a mopping every few months. Takes about 2 to 3 hours a year to keep nice. We don’t have snow slush or the weather that gets it really dirty.

mstateglfr 09-22-20 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 21708211)
Lol.

It’s not hard to maintain. Gets blown out with a leaf blower from time to time, and a mopping every few months. Takes about 2 to 3 hours a year to keep nice. We don’t have snow slush or the weather that gets it really dirty.

I'm really just being sarcastic because I'm jealous.
Ours is perpetually full of dirt from cars, dirt from bikes, dirt from horse barn items, leaves, and melted grit during the winter.

genejockey 09-22-20 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 21708219)
Ours is perpetually full of dirt from cars, dirt from bikes, dirt from horse barn items, leaves, and melted grit during the winter.

Whereas I live in the Bay Area, where the houses are small and ungodly expensive, so we use our garages as an extra room, while our cars sit in the driveway.

Anyway, mine is theoretically a 2 car garage, but it's too short and too narrow to house two of most actual cars. Maybe a pair of Fits?

tkamd73 09-22-20 05:28 PM

My bikes go in the basement when not being used, if they get stolen I’ve got bigger problems then a missing bike. All my rides start and end at my house, or my car, not dragging a lock around with me. And by chance, I get bikejacked, or one does somehow get stolen, it’s just a “thing” easily replaced.
Tim

Mojo31 09-22-20 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 21708219)

I took it that way (sarcasm). I always wanted a nice 3 car garage, and when we got this house I had a nice floor coating put on. Our weather is mild year round and our trees are mostly evergreen, so it stays pretty clean. Empty nesters, so no kid junk filling it up either. We keep it such that we can keep all three cars inside.

now I want a four car garage. :thumb: