Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How big tire for Specialized Sequoia? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1235242)

sknhgy 07-22-21 05:27 PM

How big tire for Specialized Sequoia?

Looks like about 1/4" clearance on both sides. It has a 25 tire on it. Think I can go with a 35?
I mostly ride it on pavement but would like to take it on the Katy Trail. The Katy is flat with crushed gravel.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...11109fffa5.jpg

Badger6 07-23-21 12:51 AM

What year is that frame? Because it is definitely not the more recent disc brake equipped Seqouia (MYs 17-19).

Hard to tell by the eyeball, perhaps someone who has the same bike can offer up their exerience. What I do know is that you can get by just fine on the Katy trail with 32s. I used to ride my Diverge Mk1 with 30/32 slicks (Tubeless, Specialized Roubaix Pro) on that trail when I was working in STL. I think I've ridden about 100mi total of it.

sknhgy 07-23-21 08:56 AM

It's pre-'12. Just wondering if anyone knew what size tires it could take. I'll measure as best I can and go from there.
I don't do a lot of road biking. Figure if I set it up for the Katy I'll get more use out of it. It's my least-used bike. I can ride to the Katy from my house.

mstateglfr 07-23-21 01:37 PM

What is happening with that black cable housing thats twist tied in the pic?

Squeeze 07-23-21 10:28 PM

^ Wild guess: bike computer cable?

Mystery #2: the black zip tie that appears above the pedal on the drive side.

Badger6 07-24-21 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by sknhgy (Post 22154431)
It's pre-'12. Just wondering if anyone knew what size tires it could take. I'll measure as best I can and go from there.
I don't do a lot of road biking. Figure if I set it up for the Katy I'll get more use out of it. It's my least-used bike. I can ride to the Katy from my house.

Again, hard to tell by eyeballing. You really need to measure between all the points that the tire would rub (brake arms, when you've pulled them, fork legs, stays) and also check for clearance between the crown of the tire and the back of the BB housing.

As I said, though, the parts of the Katy trail I've ridden were easily ridden on a 32mm tire, with a slick tread. Which I suspect, if it fits, will be the max tire you could fit in that bike. In the "Before Gravelbikes" time, even a bike like yours often had limited clearance, because back then it was typically only MTBs running big volume.

unterhausen 07-24-21 08:52 AM

I rode 30mm tires for a year on rough gravel and it worked okay-ish if you ignore all the flats. It would have worked great on crushed gravel.

veloz 07-24-21 09:06 AM

Rode the Katy in 2019, still officially closed after major floods. Some sections were still sandy but 32 Paselas were no problem. Clearance beats width when it's muddy.

sknhgy 07-25-21 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 22154819)
What is happening with that black cable housing thats twist tied in the pic?

Speedometer that I don't use.

sknhgy 07-25-21 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Squeeze (Post 22155382)
^ Wild guess: bike computer cable?

Mystery #2: the black zip tie that appears above the pedal on the drive side.

What do they call that, the pick-up, or magnet for the bike computer that I don't use? I'll get the ****s and clip them off, OK?
Funny how stuff like that shows up on a picture.
Like I said, this is my least used bike. I'll spruce it up a bit. Where I live the shoulders have glass and the rest is gravel, so I usually ride my Rockhopper or my hybrid with Schwalbe Marathons.

msu2001la 07-26-21 01:18 PM

Hard to tell what you can fit in there, but I have ridden crushed gravel/limestone trails for years on 28mm tires and it's fine.
I'd prefer to be on 32mm+, but that statement also applies to paved roads.

sknhgy 08-19-21 06:12 AM

Did some more measuring and the total width clearance is 38mm. Going to try some 32's and hope they work. Seems 35's would be pushing it.

sknhgy 09-06-21 09:09 PM

I ended up putting some Michelin Protek Cross 32's on the Sequoia and they just barely fit. In fact, the little nubs rubbed on the front fork for the first ride or so until they got knocked off. But I'm totally happy with the ride. So far they've worked good on bumpy sidewalks and patches of gravel - some of it pretty loose. This was my least used bike but now it will get more use. It should be pretty fast on the Katy Trail.