Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Help Picking an Endurance Bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1247537)

JayhawkNavy02 02-27-22 10:54 AM

Help Picking an Endurance Bike

Looking for a bike with more comfort than my Felt F75. Trying to keep the bike under $2500 if at all possible (1 exception - Canyon), but willing to spend a couple bucks more if I'm really getting a better product. Did a bunch of research for CF frames, with Shimano 105 components or above (1 exception - cannonade), and CF frame (2 exceptions - Trek and Giant). 11 speed would be nice as the area I'm at is pretty hilly, but I've managed on my 10 speed fine.

Appreciate any thoughts/inputs, warnings, great ideas, etc.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Canyon Endurace CF SL 7 (18.7 lbs, Shimano 105, 11 speed) - $2599
Giant Contend AR 1 (21.2 lbs, Shimano 105, 11 speed) - $1950
Felt FR 30 (19.8 lbs, Shimano 105, 11 speed) - $2029
Trek Domane AL 5 (22.2 lbs, Shimano 105, 11 speed) - $2179
Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 (20.9 lbs, Shimano Tiagra, 10 speed) - $2400

SpedFast 02-27-22 11:22 AM

I'm at the stage (age) where I'm thinking one bike for all purposes and am also looking at endurance style bikes. I too like the Canyon (drool). One must have though is fenders as I ride year round and I've noticed fewer models are coming with fender mount tabs on the forks and rear stays. Possibly because everything is going carbon. Keep us posted on what you find and why. TIA

JayhawkNavy02 02-27-22 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by SpedFast (Post 22422997)
I'm at the stage (age) where I'm thinking one bike for all purposes and am also looking at endurance style bikes. I too like the Canyon (drool). One must have though is fenders as I ride year round and I've noticed fewer models are coming with fender mount tabs on the forks and rear stays. Possibly because everything is going carbon. Keep us posted on what you find and why. TIA

If the Cannondale had 105 components I would be 100% in. I’m probably leaning towards the Felt or Canyon based on weight, components, 11 speeds, and CF frame.

ctak 02-27-22 01:22 PM

r7000 is a quality groupset.
you might check out Canyon's alu version of that bike. $700 less (better color imo), only .9-lb weight difference (19.6 vs 18.7 per Canyon) and will fit 32mm gp5000s which would really smooth things out w/o sacrificing bb stiffness while climbing.

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...nfarbe=BK%2FBK

fishyfishy123 02-27-22 01:50 PM

I almost bought a Trek Domane AL5 - I put a hold on it in early October and it was due to come January... eventually I just took my money back and bought a bike of CL. If you go that route, I'd love to hear what you think about it!

KJ43 02-27-22 02:02 PM

I just ordered a Cannondale Synapse 3L (Shimano 105) for north of $3K that will get here next week. I have a carbon wheelset being built from Light bicycle that I'll put on immediately and will make a big difference over the stock wheels.

I'm going to pull the smartsense from the frame immediately, but the bike as a whole looks just like I want. A CF endurance bike that isn't too relaxed, threaded bb, normal seat post and cockpit. Looks good too.

Mojo31 02-27-22 03:26 PM

If you can bump the budget to just over $3k, I’d take a hard look at the Domane SL5. Lots of benefits, primarily IsoSpeed front and rear, internal storage (really slick), better and more modern cable management, and carbon frame that is more vibration dampening than alu. Plus, the integration of the Blendr mountable light systems is really nice. I’m constantly asked about the bike when around other cyclists.

If I were to replace it, I would get the same thing (but with Di2 - no real reason other than “because”).

sshakari 02-27-22 07:02 PM

Been riding the Canyon Endurance Ulttegra for 3 years and am quite happy. I only upgraded wheels to DuraAce. It checked all the boxes for me back in early 2019. I've only been annoyed at the nonstandard headset.

oldwinger14 02-28-22 08:13 AM

I bought a Cannondale Synapse 105 almost 3 years ago and loved it. Easy and comfortable to ride and a great looking bike. Last Spring, I upgraded to a Ultegra Di2 groupset, and now love it even more.

Chandne 02-28-22 08:16 AM

I'd probably vote for the Synapse. I'm starting to look myself and the Synapse and Roubaix are my top two. The big problem is that I must have a light bike (under 17 lbs for sure) so I'll have to spend some serious money when it comes to an endurance bike since ones like the Roubaix are heavy(ish) compared to light road racer bikes. It will take me a while to come to grips with that (the $$).

eduskator 02-28-22 08:38 AM

Giant Defy for the win - best bang for the buck. I believe the base model retails for 2500-3000$. The Contend isn't really an endurance bike; it's an all rounder.

AJH261 03-02-22 10:39 AM

Ribble Endurance SLR! can't go wrong, value for money

SoSmellyAir 03-02-22 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by sshakari (Post 22423421)
Been riding the Canyon Endurance Ulttegra for 3 years and am quite happy. ... I've only been annoyed at the nonstandard headset.

What is wrong with the headset? The Endurace is on my shortlist as well for a disc brake bike.

bruce19 03-02-22 11:44 AM

Take a look at Rose bikes out of Germany. They sell direct like Canyon. A friend just bought one and it is very nice. I'd also look at a CAAD 13. It's a very good bang for the buck. I have a 2019 CAAD 12 that I really like. Here's a pic. It's 105 and I added Mavic USTs. It weighs 17 lb 19 oz with Speedplay Zeros.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cdf27a197c.jpg

mstateglfr 03-02-22 01:25 PM

^^ A CAAD13 isnt an endurance bike. It does get the 105 though, so if the geometry works, cool.
A shame that Cannondale doesnt offer their Synapse aluminum in 105.

mstateglfr 03-02-22 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir (Post 22426283)
What is wrong with the headset? The Endurace is on my shortlist as well for a disc brake bike.

The carbon model has an oversized steerer. The aluminum model has a regular steerer. So the headset and stem on the carbon model are not common size for road bikes.
I am guessing that is the issue or the issue stems(pun!) from that.

sshakari 03-02-22 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 22426387)
The carbon model has an oversized steerer. The aluminum model has a regular steerer. So the headset and stem on the carbon model are not common size for road bikes.

Did not know that the alum version has a standard steerer. Yes, that is an issue on my carbon bike.

CAT7RDR 03-02-22 07:24 PM

Kestrel RT-1100, Ultegra Disc 18 lbs $2500

My Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra rim brakes weighs 17 lbs in a 58 cm

SoSmellyAir 03-02-22 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 22426387)

Ah, so the oversize steerer (1-1/4") is why some people [also] complain that their Endurace CF SL is missing an expander plug.

sshakari 03-03-22 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir (Post 22426764)
Ah, so the oversize steerer (1-1/4") is why some people [also] complain that their Endurace CF SL is missing an expander plug.

It is not missing the expander plug - its not in the design. Its difficult to preload without it and a stupid design by Canyon. The stem has to be tightened for preload and a plastic cover on top just to cover the steerer hole.

Just curious if you considered Ribble bikes?

ctak 03-03-22 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by sshakari (Post 22427255)
It Its difficult to preload without it and a stupid design by Canyon. Just curious if you considered Ribble bikes?

I haven't had any trouble at all with preload on my Aeroad. I rather like the design.

SoSmellyAir 03-03-22 02:28 PM

It is not missing the expander plug - its not in the design. Its difficult to preload without it and a stupid design by Canyon. The stem has to be tightened for preload and a plastic cover on top just to cover the steerer hole.

That is what I meant by "missing" regarding the folks who have cracked their steerer tubes.

Just curious if you considered Ribble bikes?

I have not considered Ribble; does it have U.S. distribution? Whereas, Canyon showroom is in Carlsbad, California and so on my way to the office.

sshakari 03-03-22 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir (Post 22427391)
I have not considered Ribble; does it have U.S. distribution? Whereas, Canyon showroom is in Carlsbad, California and so on my way to the office.

Ribble is in England. They have a great selection of frames/components, but no showroom in US.

Dont get me wrong, Canyon makes decent bikes at a good price point. Im happy with my bike overall and its my main bike.

PeteHski 03-03-22 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by eduskator (Post 22423810)
Giant Defy for the win - best bang for the buck. I believe the base model retails for 2500-3000$. The Contend isn't really an endurance bike; it's an all rounder.

Yeah I really rate my Defy. It's a solid, reliable workhorse. Mine has 105 R7000 which has been completely faultless. I haven't ridden my new Canyon Endurace yet, but it looks awesome! I don't think you can go wrong with either of these bikes, but the Canyon is a little more toward the racy end of the endurance spectrum, while the Defy has a little longer and slacker geometry. I like the Synapse too (previous version, not the brand new one). Mate has one and finds it much more comfortable than his Cervelo race bike.

SoSmellyAir 03-03-22 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by sshakari (Post 22427423)
Dont get me wrong, Canyon makes decent bikes at a good price point. Im happy with my bike overall and its my main bike.

As an inveterate tinkerer, the lack of an expander plug worries me.