Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

Heathpack 05-14-20 09:48 PM

Nice mtb ride this morning. Same place as last Thursday's ride- the place BillyD was thinking looked like tick territory.

So this morning every spiderweb felt like a tick crawling on me. I even had to stop and check my ear this morning. Nope, not a tick. Spiderweb.

Thanks BillyD


PS No ticks.


https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6561fe93f.jpeg

indyfabz 05-15-20 04:04 AM

You people sleep to much. Get a former alley cat for a pet.

indyfabz 05-15-20 04:12 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21475621)
Geese are known to be aggressive, in general. Farmyard geese anyway.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_Watch

Up here they are nesting, so they are particularly aggressive this time of year.

Pirkaus 05-15-20 04:28 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21475705)
Why did they cross the road?


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21475707)
Why were they crossing the road?

Their momentum carried them across the road, Newton's first law, duh. :D

Pirkaus 05-15-20 04:35 AM

Unfortunately, the local wild animal sanctuary closed a few years ago. The couple that ran it were in their late 80s and couldn't keep up with it. We would go visit when the kids were younger. Always something different to see, but you could count on the robin cage being full.

Pirkaus 05-15-20 04:39 AM

Dodging chickens is a regular occurrence around here. There's nothing like descending a country road, and find chickens wondering aimlessly across the it. :eek:

Bah Humbug 05-15-20 04:40 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21475977)
You people sleep to much. Get a former alley cat for a pet.

Maybe soon. The irony was we held off a while ago because of the assumption we were going to be traveling a lot this year and next...

Velo Vol 05-15-20 05:02 AM


Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 21475818)

PS No ticks.

I don't recall seeing a tick in the last 10+ years. And I give them numerous opportunities.

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21475977)
You people sleep to much.

Not really.

seedsbelize 05-15-20 05:16 AM

We are out here in the bush, where ticks would be expected, but even the dogs don't get them. I see one on the cat once or twice a year. Possoms though, are plentiful and they are known to he tick magnets

Velo Vol 05-15-20 05:26 AM


Originally Posted by Pirkaus (Post 21475995)
Unfortunately, the local wild animal sanctuary closed a few years ago. The couple that ran it were in their late 80s and couldn't keep up with it. We would go visit when the kids were younger. Always something different to see, but you could count on the robin cage being full.

The funny-acting bird might have been a robin. I never got a good look at it's underside.

I did see a number of robins whilst mowing. Rightly or wrongly I view them as a "vanilla"-type (boring) bird because there are so many and they're not flashy.

Lemond1985 05-15-20 05:39 AM

In CA, robins are grey, dull-colored and boring. They never actually DO anything. But when I moved to Oregon, they had much brighter plumage, were bigger, and seemed very aggressive and active, acting more like blue jays than the robins I was used to. They seem to thrive better in the cooler climate.

WhyFi 05-15-20 05:40 AM

Knife bar is ready for duty. With the finish, knives are staying put beautifully - no slipping, but they're not a bear to pull off, either.

(excuse the ****ty lighting in this corner of the kitchen)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...17c6cea8d9.jpg

berner 05-15-20 05:44 AM


Originally Posted by 2manybikes (Post 21475548)
I have seen some there. Once two at one time. I stopped to take pictures once in a while and did not spook them.. The pictures were lousy because of the fence and the bushes and vines etc. I wonder where they get in and out of the cemetery?
I saw a young one eating five feet from the path in the next town past the cemetery I stopped and he kept eating until a cyclist rode very close to him. Mostly late summer and around dusk. I saw a couple north of the pond north of the harbor last summer. Right on the path in the middle on the day.

I wondered how she got in also. Probably jumped the fence which should be easy for a healthy dear. Yesterday there were plenty of geese up by Brickyard Pond and already have a flotilla of goslings. They do leave goose crap all over but I don;t mind too much. It just provides slalom practice to improve bike handling skills. There has been as Osprey family nesting in a tree at the pond also. I've seen some Ospreys already but that family has not arrived. I hope they are well.

Velo Vol 05-15-20 05:45 AM


Originally Posted by Lemond1985 (Post 21476050)
In CA, robins are grey, dull-colored and boring. They never actually DO anything.

Zombie robins.

Jadesfire 05-15-20 05:59 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21475977)
You people sleep to much. Get a former alley cat for a pet.

Or a dog with thunderstorm anxiety.

abshipp 05-15-20 06:04 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21475659)
I've had to dodge chickens that wandered onto the road in front of me, more than once.

On one of my main routes is a farm with about a dozen guinea fowl that wander all over the place. Last time I passed by they all ran across the road making a bunch of racket :lol:

BillyD 05-15-20 06:19 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21476040)
The funny-acting bird might have been a robin. I never got a good look at it's underside.

I did see a number of robins whilst mowing. Rightly or wrongly I view them as a "vanilla"-type (boring) bird because there are so many and they're not flashy.

Robins may be boringly common but the unique thing about them is their adaptability, which makes them more likely than others to build a nest near human activity, which in turn exposes you to their beautiful singing. A robin will sit and sing for no good reason, a repetitive but very pleasant song that I always enjoy.


https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e97bc97e1e.jpg

Unlike almost every other passerine whom I couldn't give two craps about, robins are really cool birds.

BillyD 05-15-20 06:31 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21476108)
Unlike almost every other passerine whom I couldn't give two craps about, robins are really cool birds.

Another cool thing about robins is that they act as the neighborhood sentinels. Whenever I hear the robins chattering in a distinctive, agitated pattern I run and get my camera because I know a hawk is in the vicinity. The robins will actually perch near the intruder continuously chirping in an effort to drive him away. Whether they have nests nearby or not they just don't want a bird of prey hanging around their community.

abshipp 05-15-20 06:36 AM

I bought a set of track hubs yesterday for my Motobecane.

BillyD 05-15-20 06:43 AM

It's a sad, sad day in the BillyD household. :( My trusty, reliable and beloved Micronta analog multimeter has bit the dust, and I have only myself to blame for letting the batteries get too old, leak and corrode the terminals. Now, although I've cleaned off the terminals (mostly) and replaced the batteries it's giving me erratic readings. The legendary reliability is gone. :(

Services will be held soon as a worthy replacement arrives. :(

seedsbelize 05-15-20 06:47 AM


Originally Posted by berner (Post 21476056)
I wondered how she got in also. Probably jumped the fence which should be easy for a healthy dear. Yesterday there were plenty of geese up by Brickyard Pond and already have a flotilla of goslings. They do leave goose crap all over but I don;t mind too much. It just provides slalom practice to improve bike handling skills. There has been as Osprey family nesting in a tree at the pond also. I've seen some Ospreys already but that family has not arrived. I hope they are well.

Yes. Goose **** is also famous around the farmyard.

seedsbelize 05-15-20 06:50 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21476136)
I bought a set of track hubs yesterday for my Motobecane.

Listed in C&V? How do the differ from road hubs?

seedsbelize 05-15-20 06:59 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21476051)
Knife bar is ready for duty. With the finish, knives are staying put beautifully - no slipping, but they're not a bear to pull off, either.

(excuse the ****ty lighting in this corner of the kitchen)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...17c6cea8d9.jpg

Black walnut? Used to be my fave hardwood, but ultimately black cherry won out. Not only (more) beautiful, imo, but nicer to work, as well. Around here we have tropical cedar, which is lovely to work, and not much else. A couple extremely dense woods, which don't float in water but can be worked for certain specialized applications. And a pine which is pitchy in the extreme. Oh and some mahogany, which I don't use much as it has less termite resistance than the cedar, and looks similar. Much heavier. The weight is a good way to tell them apart.

seedsbelize 05-15-20 07:00 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21476154)
It's a sad, sad day in the BillyD household. :( My trusty, reliable and beloved Micronta analog multimeter has bit the dust, and I have only myself to blame for letting the batteries get too old, leak and corrode the terminals. Now, although I've cleaned off the terminals (mostly) and replaced the batteries it's giving me erratic readings. The legendary reliability is gone. :(

Services will be held soon as a worthy replacement arrives. :(

:-(
I still prefer my analog calipers over the new fangled digital options

BillyD 05-15-20 07:02 AM

Oh Mama! Look at this bad boy! :love:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...95b5283f1d.png


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:08 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.