Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

MoAlpha 05-05-22 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22495451)
have not had that happen yet. I had the rear wheel not what to open once in Dallas. That was a head scratcher.

I’ve been talking to seattle forrest, he has a C3 with ardennes and hasn’t ever had brake rub problems. So now I wonder if it’s the cheaper carbon my bike is made of, or the super teams, though they seem bullet proof not sure what that says about flex’s.

if I put my bontrager wheel on the cervelo to test out the wheel theory, would it matter that the rotor on the bontrager wheel is sram? I would not touch the brake. I could tell in a matter of seconds whether or not the rub was there.

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22495865)
If a closet door is sticking, you don't try a different door - you make sure that the hinges are tight, that the frame is plumb and that the door is square. Everything else is a shot in the dark and a waste of time when the basics haven't yet been addressed, IMO.

If there's no rub in the stand but there's rub on the road, that obviously means that there's a change in relative position between the rotor and pads. The rotor is bolted to a solid, machined hub. The hub is being held in place by a ~1/2" thick axle. The axle is fastened in to the dropouts and there's only a couple inches of carbon fork between the axle and caliper - there's virtually no room for movement if everything is secured properly. If things aren't secured properly and if things aren't quite square and true, you get problems like you're getting.

Make sure your rotor is true and properly tightened. Make sure your calipers are centered and aligned. Make sure you're consistently tightening the thru-axel. If you can't consistently tighten the TA because if its design, get a Robert axle and use a torque wrench. Done and done.

This. There should be enough clearance in the caliper and enough range in the positioning to fix anything but bad rotor runout.

Have you taken a plastic tire lever and pressed your pistons in and then made sure they're retracting?

bampilot06 05-05-22 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22495913)
This. There should be enough clearance in the caliper and enough range in the positioning to fix anything but bad rotor runout.

Have you taken a plastic tire lever and pressed your pistons in and then made sure they're retracting?

I have. The rotor has a slight bent in it. However, spinning in the bike stand with a white sheet of paper behind it there is plenty of clearance and it doesnít rub, when I ride it sitting down 75 percent of the time it doesnít rub. When I stand itís a constant rub. The skewer is as tight as I can make it.

sounding like a new axle and new rotor. Iím just super skeptical thatís going to fix the problem. And furthermore how the hell do my rotors keep getting bent?

bampilot06 05-05-22 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22495857)
Time to ride. Today will explore the Blue Ridge Parkway South of Asheville.

keep coming east. Iím on 6 hours by car.

WhyFi 05-05-22 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22495921)
I have. The rotor has a slight bent in it. However, spinning in the bike stand with a white sheet of paper behind it there is plenty of clearance and it doesn’t rub, when I ride it sitting down 75 percent of the time it doesn’t rub. When I stand it’s a constant rub. The skewer is as tight as I can make it.

sounding like a new axle and new rotor. I’m just super skeptical that’s going to fix the problem. And furthermore how the hell do my rotors keep getting bent?

*Every* rotor has a bit of runout now and then. You don't need a new rotor - we've covered this. Find the "high" spot on the rotor, slip an adjustable wrench over it, give it a little tweak.

If the rotor is a Shimano IceTech, which is an steel and aluminum sandwich, it's not going to take much at all. If it's a solid steel rotor, you may need to bend it a little beyond true so that it springs back in to a more true position.

Jump to the 3min mark or so, if you're impatient -

Mojo31 05-05-22 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22495650)
Do I spy a 5 speed?

I'm no expert, and did not inspect the car closely, but it appears to be a Series 2 car with 5-speed conversion.

I just enjoy their beauty. I've never had the chance to drive, or even sit in, one.

phrantic09 05-05-22 08:09 AM

I really want to do the Asheville BWR next year- we will see

big john 05-05-22 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22495950)
I'm no expert, and did not inspect the car closely, but it appears to be a Series 2 car with 5-speed conversion.

I just enjoy their beauty. I've never had the chance to drive, or even sit in, one.

I drove one in the 70s. Also drove a TR6 which was fun.

big john 05-05-22 08:17 AM

Quatro, otra vez.
Wordle 320 4/6

🟨🟩⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟩🟨🟩⬜
🟨🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Mojo31 05-05-22 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22495966)
I drove one in the 70s. Also drove a TR6 which was fun.

I love the TR6, and have always wanted to have one. BRG, maroon or French Blue over tan rocks my boat. Not likely going to ever happen though.

When I was ready to buy my first car, I ordered a Triumph Spitfire as I could not afford the TR6. British Leyland went on strike, and the dealer could not get any cars. Since I needed a car for my commute to college, I had to cancel the order. Ended up with a Celica, which was probably a smarter move.

MoAlpha 05-05-22 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22495921)
I have. The rotor has a slight bent in it. However, spinning in the bike stand with a white sheet of paper behind it there is plenty of clearance and it doesn’t rub, when I ride it sitting down 75 percent of the time it doesn’t rub. When I stand it’s a constant rub. The skewer is as tight as I can make it.

sounding like a new axle and new rotor. I’m just super skeptical that’s going to fix the problem. And furthermore how the hell do my rotors keep getting bent?

Frustrating! Can you see which side is rubbing when you stand? You could insert a shim on that side when you set the caliper, inducing a bias which should correct when you load it. If you can't see it, just try each side, maybe...

Velo Vol 05-05-22 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22495635)

I watched this. Surprised at some of the special effects, etc. they were using in 1923. Also it was an hour long.

Filmmaking (like aviation) made quite a jump in the previous decade.

Velo Vol 05-05-22 09:10 AM

Turns out you had good weather this week. It's not unheard of for there snow at the top of the mountains in late April/early May.

ls01 05-05-22 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22495787)
I choose to blame all of you.

Wordle 320 X/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟨🟩⬜🟩🟩

Who doesnt?

ls01 05-05-22 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22495865)
If a closet door is sticking, you don't try a different door - you make sure that the hinges are tight, that the frame is plumb and that the door is square. Everything else is a shot in the dark and a waste of time when the basics haven't yet been addressed, IMO.

If there's no rub in the stand but there's rub on the road, that obviously means that there's a change in relative position between the rotor and pads. The rotor is bolted to a solid, machined hub. The hub is being held in place by a ~1/2" thick axle. The axle is fastened in to the dropouts and there's only a couple inches of carbon fork between the axle and caliper - there's virtually no room for movement if everything is secured properly. If things aren't secured properly and if things aren't quite square and true, you get problems like you're getting.

Make sure your rotor is true and properly tightened. Make sure your calipers are centered and aligned. Make sure you're consistently tightening the thru-axel. If you can't consistently tighten the TA because if its design, get a Robert axle and use a torque wrench. Done and done.

Have you checked for bearing play?

seedsbelize2 05-05-22 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22495968)
QCuatro, otra vez.
Wordle 320 4/6

🟨🟩⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟩🟨🟩⬜
🟨🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Fixt

genejockey 05-05-22 12:13 PM

That was a near thing.
Wordle 320 6/6

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟩⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
🟨🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Bah Humbug 05-05-22 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22495787)
I choose to blame all of you.

Wordle 320 X/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟨🟩⬜🟩🟩

I had much the same. And it was prophetic for the rest of the day. Production issue with the db that I am being pulled into because I was adjacent to the people who did it. On top of the rest of the issues giving me grief.

datlas 05-05-22 01:45 PM

Mission accomplished. It got hot in a hurry and there are not many water options on the route I took. Good thing I did not take 1 bottle like His Obtuseness suggests, or I would have been in trouble.

Ride was good, I only had one French shower close pass/buzz the entire ride so I suppose thatís a pretty good percentage. I am bushed!

LesterOfPuppets 05-05-22 02:00 PM

Oooh, Time gravel rig in black and gold!

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/site...?itok=YHfVL-QN

WhyFi 05-05-22 02:00 PM

:bday:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b32c43bb01.jpg

indyfabz 05-05-22 02:00 PM

Happy National Hoagie Day!

bampilot06 05-05-22 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22496076)
Have you checked for bearing play?

no bearing play.

Mojo31 05-05-22 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22496341)
Mission accomplished. It got hot in a hurry and there are not many water options on the route I took. Good thing I did not take 1 bottle like His Obtuseness suggests, or I would have been in trouble.

Ride was good, I only had one French shower close pass/buzz the entire ride so I suppose thatís a pretty good percentage. I am bushed!

You're in the south - you take two bottles.

bampilot06 05-05-22 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22496354)
Oooh, Time gravel rig in black and gold!

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/site...?itok=YHfVL-QN

yes please.

LesterOfPuppets 05-05-22 02:10 PM

Wait, is that brown and gold? Hard to tell on my phone while outdoors. Still hot I'm sure. Not unlike:

https://rideblog.files.wordpress.com...thnewgrips.jpg

bampilot06 05-05-22 02:11 PM

Just picked up the Madone. New BB and now no creaking. I did one test ride up my steep drive way, will ride it more tomorrow if it doesnít rain.

I looked at the rotor to try and see if I can bend it back, and I must be as dumb as I look. I canít figure out where to straighten it.

With the china bars out of the question and not wanting to spend the ridiculous amount of money on carbon bars.

Im looking at the
Pro vibe aero alloy bars
Brontrager elit aero bars
Zipp service course Sl 80

I think the bontrager are the heaviest. 330 grams for the 42. Iíll prolly run 38-40 so that will be slightly lighter.

LesterOfPuppets 05-05-22 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22496381)
Just picked up the Madone. New BB and now no creaking. I did one test ride up my steep drive way, will ride it more tomorrow if it doesnít rain.

I looked at the rotor to try and see if I can bend it back, and I must be as dumb as I look. I canít figure out where to straighten it.

I find it difficult to true rotors without a trueing stand and and a dial indicator. Sometimes I get lucky though.

bampilot06 05-05-22 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22496387)
I find it difficult to true rotors without a trueing stand and and a dial indicator. Sometimes I get lucky though.

silly whyfi setting me up for failure.

LesterOfPuppets 05-05-22 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22496392)
silly whyfi setting me up for failure.

One way to find the spot that needs a little tweak is to hold a sharpie in your hand and brace it against the frame or fork, spin the wheel and move the sharpie in towards the rotor until it draws on a high spot, or draws on all but a low spot. Don't forget to clean rotor with isopropyl alcohol before braking.

WhyFi 05-05-22 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22496381)

You straighten it where it's not straight.

You're welcome. :thumb: