Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Finally surpassed 5,000 miles for 2021 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1242870)

classic carl 11-26-21 07:18 AM

Finally surpassed 5,000 miles for 2021

November has been a tough month to ride for me between a chest cold and the weather not cooperating. I finally got out on the day before Thansgiving for 28 miles and I reached 5,000 for the year. I've been over 3,000 a few times in the past, including last year when I started riding again after a long hiatus. I turned 65 in August. My goal for the year is actually 5,200 (100 mile avg. per week). We're leaving for our winter residence in Florida in 2 weeks, so I should have no problem achieving my ultimate goal if I don't get to ride much until then. It's snowing here today.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...200e96741c.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a8f93bb30a.jpg

10 Wheels 11-26-21 07:20 AM

Keep it going.
Most for me was 15,923 miles my 2nd year.

andrewclaus 11-26-21 08:30 AM

Congratulations. Normal for me the last couple of decades, since I quit commuting (lots of 10,000 mile years then), has been closer to 3,000. When COVID first hit last year, there was literally nothing else to do, so I doubled the cycling. It feels good to exceed 5,000 again. My 75 yo friend and mentor is less than a hundred away from his 5,000, and since he lives in Phoenix I think he'll make it. It's worthy goal.

257 roberts 11-26-21 09:08 AM

Congratulations

Trsnrtr 11-26-21 09:47 AM

Congratulations from me. too. Many here exceed that but I've always felt that 5K deserves a lot of respect as an achievement for most people. So... Chapeau!

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a0a0c4306c.jpg

OldRailfan 11-26-21 10:10 AM

Congrats!! :thumb: :thumb:

I never got that high and I never will, but that's OK.

jppe 11-26-21 11:26 AM

Good going!

MinnMan 11-26-21 12:22 PM

Congrats. 5k is a significant milestone.

I no longer know how to count my miles. I used to count only outdoor miles. But In the last two years the proportion of miles done on Zwift has become a significant fraction of my total effort. I also stopped keeping an independent log-spreadsheet of my rides, and now depend only on Strava. And Strava's annual mileage doesn't' differentiate between outdoor and trainer miles.

So now the only annual number I have is not really comparable to my efforts in previous years.

Speedway2 11-26-21 02:58 PM

Nice! You've put more miles on your bike this year than I did on my VROD :thumb:

delbiker1 11-26-21 05:25 PM

Kudos to you. Commitment and consistency are what get you to those numbers.

As of today, I am 190 short of 5000. This wil be the 5th consecutive year with at least that many. I am 69, I had never done 5000 in a year before that. This year, more than others, I have really felt the slowing down and diminished stamina of becoming aged. That is okay, I don't mind the slow down, as long as I keep riding consistantly.

JanMM 11-26-21 07:14 PM

Good job!
I rode 5,000+ miles for the first time in 2019, my first year in retirement.
I blame Covid for a drop to 4,300 in 2020 - mostly due to almost no club rides. But I did ride on 50 more days than the previous year.
Still 200 miles shy of 4,000 for this year. Might make it, weather permitting.

KenCT 11-26-21 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 22320963)
I used to count only outdoor miles. But In the last two years the proportion of miles done on Zwift has become a significant fraction of my total effort.

Same here, I'll finish this year with a little over 3,000 outdoor miles and 2,000 on the smart trainer, about the same as last year.

While I much prefer to ride outside, Zwift and FulGaz keep me active during cold weather. I typically do not ride outside once the temperature gets below the mid 40s (F). As I get older (61 in a few months) I have less tolerance for cold weather.

While the purists may not count indoor miles, yes I know the bike did not move, it keeps me active and in shape for outdoor riding.

classic carl 11-27-21 07:54 AM

My total miles could have been higher, but I usually only ride 4 times per week. I play golf on the other 3 days in the summer and once or twice a week while I'm in Florida over the winter. I also paddle around in my kayak occasionally.

OldRailfan 11-27-21 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by classic carl (Post 22321610)
My total miles could have been higher, but I usually only ride 4 times per week. I play golf on the other 3 days in the summer and once or twice a week while I'm in Florida over the winter. I also paddle around in my kayak occasionally.

I got back into cycling in a more serious manner when the virus hit last year, our cross country skiing venue shut down and it was time to keep going.......by cycling.
But I also decided that getting a bit more reading under my belt would be good; it's an alternate reality that feeds the imagination. I've had a Kindle Unlimited subscription for the past 3 years and this was the year to really ramp it up; 175 books so far, with a few more weeks to go. BTW I'm considerably faster reading than riding a bike or XC skiing. :lol:
And I have a rule that goes like this "100 minus one's age (76) = page count point of rejection if it isn't interesting enough!" Oh yes, rejected books don't count!!! And yes, I read the reviews to pre-sort.

jaxgtr 11-27-21 06:18 PM

congrats, I was heading toward that earlier in the year, but a couple of work projects derailed me drastically, so now shooting for 4k.

50PlusCycling 11-27-21 08:45 PM

Congrats, that is a good annual record. I wish I had more time to ride (still working and raising kids), and lived in an area which was more suited to longer rides (central Tokyo is crowded).

Inusuit 12-01-21 10:54 AM

Congratulations! I'm 77, have been back into cycling for about 18 months, and will hit 2500 on today's ride. Which will require a 100 mile round trip driving to get out of the 15-25 mph winds predicted for Cheyenne today.

Jumpski 12-02-21 06:49 AM

Congratulations on the 5,000 + miles! Have fun cycling in Florida too, and stay safe.

John E 12-11-21 02:15 PM

I'll be lucky to hit half of that. My helmet is off to you.

Champlaincycler 12-11-21 04:19 PM

I'm so in awe of those of you that ride that much. Requires much more discipline than I have. I avg around 2500, not counting inside. I do 2-3 hard months, get bored so do 2 easier during the summer, followed by 2-3 hard ones and before you know it, it's winter and I'm inside. I don't have riding partners, no less a group, so I'm wondering how much that plays into it. I just can't spend that much time with myself all alone doing one thing, wish I could but I'm just not that much fun to be with. Kudo's to the 5K+ group, you're inspiring me to do more

rsbob 12-11-21 07:27 PM

Five thousand is quite the accomplishment. If I could find a saddle which was prostate friendly and didn’t start to hurt after 40 miles…..

Keep up the good effort!

joesch 12-12-21 08:56 AM

Congrats on the 5K miles for 2021
I was very lucky that TX had a nice warm CA like winter and I was able to avg approx 150/week this year.
I was also able to get in more miles during the covid lockdowns where there were much fewer cars on the roads and my gyms were shutdown.

classic carl 12-16-21 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 22320963)
Congrats. 5k is a significant milestone.

I no longer know how to count my miles. I used to count only outdoor miles. But In the last two years the proportion of miles done on Zwift has become a significant fraction of my total effort. I also stopped keeping an independent log-spreadsheet of my rides, and now depend only on Strava. And Strava's annual mileage doesn't' differentiate between outdoor and trainer miles.

So now the only annual number I have is not really comparable to my efforts in previous years.

I use Strava as a backup. You can edit your workout/ride title. I always edit mine to include "xx.xx mi Road Cycling". You could edit yours to include indoor or outdoor. There is also a pulldown to change the type of ride, and tags for commute or indoor. Mapmyride will give you a choice to include "all activities" or you can filter which type is included in the total. I don't know if Strava has that option.
I use Mapmyride as my primary data keeper. I don't use a phone app for either one though. I use a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt GPS computer that I move to any of my bikes. After the ride, it uploads the data to the Elemnt app on my phone. Then from there, it uploads to Strava and Mapmyride automatically via wi-fi whenever I get back home. You can chose to upload the data to a vast number of data keeping sites. Very cool.

Baldy1953 12-17-21 08:57 PM

Congrats on the milestone. I hit the 5000 mark 2 weeks ago. 3rd year in a row for 5000 or more. Being retired helps quite a bit as I can get up, go ride and then have the rest of the day to do whatever crosses my path.
It takes a lot of determination to get that 5000.

Turned 68 this year and was a bit tougher to motivate myself to get on the bike and ride. Most of my miles are solo miles. I enjoy the peace and quiet of riding alone.

jsilvia 12-18-21 04:27 PM

63 years old this year, most of my miles are solo. I am sitting at 5700 miles hopping to hit 6000 by the end of the year.