Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

BillyD 04-22-20 12:17 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21433168)
But they've been graded 10/10. :foo:

The best, the greatest and the best. :rolleyes:

abshipp 04-22-20 12:35 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21433214)
SMH

What are your thoughts on hiking?

bampilot06 04-22-20 12:36 PM

NBD!
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...38d03b942.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dc3081a8d.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b4f08e7b6.jpeg

rjones28 04-22-20 12:36 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21433167)
Running is stupid. Don’tcha know?

Now he tells me...

MoAlpha 04-22-20 12:36 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21433214)
Isn't this just another way of asking how fast the virus evolves?

SMH

No. Coronaviruses mutate relatively slowly for RNA viruses and are not expected to change their antigenic spots on a regular basis, like influenza. The question is whether the virus evokes an antibody response which persists or fades with significantly with time.

MoAlpha 04-22-20 12:37 PM

Welcome to the elite.

WhyFi 04-22-20 12:40 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21433284)
NBD!

That looks like approximately 17 miles of seat post. ;)

:bday:

abshipp 04-22-20 12:40 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21433284)
NBD!

:bday:

Sweet :thumb:

rjones28 04-22-20 12:41 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21433174)
I have run 3 miles once.

I did not enjoy a single bit of it.

I don't think I've ever enjoyed a run, but I always wished I could.

Just curious - years ago in college I lived with a runner who also worked at a shoe store, I went in and she watched the way I walked and fitted me to a pair of shoes that supposedly would help with whatever anatomical weirdness was going on in my feet. How necessary is going through something like that for someone who would maybe want to get into trail running? I have zero interest in pounding pavement, but trail/off-road running vaguely interests me. I know that I'm much fussier about my road bike fit than I am with a MTB, is there a parallel there in the running world? Could you get away with a "worse" fitting shoe if the terrain varies a lot more?

Different needs on a trail, akin to differences between road biking and mountain biking.. AFAIK, no need to worry about things like pronation. You're more worried about things like protection from trail features.

bampilot06 04-22-20 12:41 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21433297)
That looks like approximately 17 miles of seat post. ;)

:bday:


That was me just throwing it on, not actually trying to fit it yet.

rjones28 04-22-20 12:43 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21433284)
NBD!

!!!

Heathpack 04-22-20 12:43 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21433164)
1. Maybe, depends on the antigen in the vaccine.
2. Maybe, see above
3. Maybe

Obviously there is much we don’t know. I spoke briefly to our county health commissioner yesterday and asked if there is any sense on how long acquired immunity lasts, and she said they think “months” but we don’t really know.

I also expressed my disappointment that the health dept is not offering mass testing and does not seem to even be planning for it (which IMO they should), she agreed it should be done but said the barriers are all coming from the federal authorities. Sad.

I got my coronavirus test back today: negative. Woo hoo! I was tested at noon on Monday and the result was in my email inbox at 11:08am. So around a 48hr turn around time for testing. My first elevated temp was around 6am on Monday and I was advised to schedule the test by work around 8:30am (not sure why I did not think of that on my own). So the whole process was super quick and easy. Its possible. I'm not sure how the feds are stopping your county from testing but not my county.

LA County announced yesterday that they are now offering free coronavirus tests to certain non-sick essential personnel- basically people that have lots of contact with others- prison guards, nursing home workers, grocery clerks, etc. Obviously there is limited info obtained from that because you could be negative today and an asymptomatic carrier tomorrow. But its so nice to see them ramping up testing because the more info we have, the better.

MoAlpha 04-22-20 12:43 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21433174)
I have run 3 miles once.

I did not enjoy a single bit of it.

I don't think I've ever enjoyed a run, but I always wished I could.

Just curious - years ago in college I lived with a runner who also worked at a shoe store, I went in and she watched the way I walked and fitted me to a pair of shoes that supposedly would help with whatever anatomical weirdness was going on in my feet. How necessary is going through something like that for someone who would maybe want to get into trail running? I have zero interest in pounding pavement, but trail/off-road running vaguely interests me. I know that I'm much fussier about my road bike fit than I am with a MTB, is there a parallel there in the running world? Could you get away with a "worse" fitting shoe if the terrain varies a lot more?

Regardless of surface, if you pronate, you need a shoe with big support on the medial side of the foot because of the risk of harm to your knees. If you don't you'll likely be okay (or not) with anything of reasonable quality that fits.

rjones28 04-22-20 12:44 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21433214)
SMH

I ordered a new pair of trail running shoes today. :o

abshipp 04-22-20 12:45 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21433297)
That looks like approximately 17 miles of seat post. ;)

So Canadian, but definitely not French-Canadian ;)

MoAlpha 04-22-20 12:45 PM


Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 21433308)
I got my coronavirus test back today: negative. Woo hoo! I was tested at noon on Monday and the result was in my email inbox at 11:08am. So around a 48hr turn around time for testing. My first elevated temp was around 6am on Monday and I was advised to schedule the test by work around 8:30am (not sure why I did not think of that on my own). So the whole process was super quick and easy. Its possible. I'm not sure how the feds are stopping your county from testing but not my county.

LA County announced yesterday that they are now offering free coronavirus tests to certain non-sick essential personnel- basically people that have lots of contact with others- prison guards, nursing home workers, grocery clerks, etc. Obviously there is limited info obtained from that because you could be negative today and an asymptomatic carrier tomorrow. But its so nice to see them ramping up testing because the more info we have, the better.

Glad to hear. It would be nice if they were doing that here.

WhyFi 04-22-20 12:46 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21433303)
That was me just throwing it on, not actually trying to fit it yet.

Yeah, I kind of assumed that you didn't have a 46" inseam. :p

Velo Vol 04-22-20 12:47 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21433280)
What are your thoughts on hiking?

I'd rather it was only paved. But obviously that's not an option most of the time. For walking I just have to HTFU.

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21433284)
NBD!

:bday:

. . . but all that seatpost. wut


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21433288)
The question is whether the virus evokes an antibody response which persists or fades with significantly with time.

Is there a simple explanation why for some viruses you only need exposure once over many years or decades and your immune system "remembers," but maybe not for this?

Bah Humbug 04-22-20 12:47 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21433174)
I have run 3 miles once.

I did not enjoy a single bit of it.

I don't think I've ever enjoyed a run, but I always wished I could.

Just curious - years ago in college I lived with a runner who also worked at a shoe store, I went in and she watched the way I walked and fitted me to a pair of shoes that supposedly would help with whatever anatomical weirdness was going on in my feet. How necessary is going through something like that for someone
who would maybe want to get into trail running? I have zero interest in pounding pavement, but trail/off-road running vaguely interests me. I know that I'm much fussier about my road bike fit than I am with a MTB, is there a parallel there in the running world? Could you get away with a "worse" fitting shoe if the terrain varies a lot more?

Disclaimer: I gave up on trail running because I crashed too much. Trail shoes are very different from pavement shoes in a number of way, but I don’t think fit is less critical. Fit is different, as how gravel bikes usually fit differently for the same rider, but you’ll hate trail running if you have the wrong shoe.

That said, the chatter about fixing your myriad abnormalities is likely junk. Finding your favorite shoes, road or trail, is a process. Watching elite runners shows that many of them have “wrong” strides, and much of modern shoe “science” goes back to Bowerman making isht up. I doubt anyone could accurately find a great shoe for you based on watching you or measuring you, but I’m sure many will say they can.

WhyFi 04-22-20 12:48 PM

Bah Humbug is ignoring my jnat questions. :cry:

That or the mentions are borked again.

Bah Humbug 04-22-20 12:52 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21433325)
Bah Humbug is ignoring my jnat questions. :cry:

That or the mentions are borked again.

Mentions dunt work for me. I’m at the chiro office though, so ask away. Super captive audience while AG gets worked on, then my turn.

Or I can try to remember when we get home, but not searching around while on the phone.

LAJ 04-22-20 12:53 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21433284)
NBD!

Hot Dawg!

abshipp 04-22-20 12:53 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21433302)
Different needs on a trail, akin to differences between road biking and mountain biking.. AFAIK, no need to worry about things like pronation. You're more worried about things like protection from trail features.


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21433309)
Regardless of surface, if you pronate, you need a shoe with big support on the medial side of the foot because of the risk of harm to your knees. If you don't you'll likely be okay (or not) with anything of reasonable quality that fits.


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21433323)
Disclaimer: I gave up on trail running because I crashed too much. Trail shoes are very different from pavement shoes in a number of way, but I don’t think fit is less critical. Fit is different, as how gravel bikes usually fit differently for the same rider, but you’ll hate trail running if you have the wrong shoe.

That said, the chatter about fixing your myriad abnormalities is likely junk. Finding your favorite shoes, road or trail, is a process. Watching elite runners shows that many of them have “wrong” strides, and much of modern shoe “science” goes back to Bowerman making isht up. I doubt anyone could accurately find a great shoe for you based on watching you or measuring you, but I’m sure many will say they can.

Thanks :thumb: I will keep all of that in mind for the future.

datlas 04-22-20 12:54 PM

Kudos!

Could be the perspective but looks like bars rotated up a bit too much.

WhyFi 04-22-20 12:58 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21433334)
Mentions dunt work for me. I’m at the chiro office though, so ask away. Super captive audience while AG gets worked on, then my turn.

Or I can try to remember when we get home, but not searching around while on the phone.

Ha! I was just curious as to whether or not you've waded in to those waters or if you've stayed with synthetics. I'm thinking about picking up an entry-level stone in the near future for some dumb reason.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:01 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.