Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

seedsbelize 05-31-20 08:49 AM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0f0026ed18.jpg
Liberation! For the moment. The feeling is coming back even as we speak. It doesn't bend on its own yet, as the tendon for that needs to be surgically repaired. It could conceivably be bent manually, but there is significant pain and stiffness around that option. I have an appointment with the plastic surgeon on Friday.

LAJ 05-31-20 09:02 AM

:eek: How can that be the first picture you've taken that isn't blurry as hell? :roflmao2:

I hope it heals as well as possible!

LAJ 05-31-20 09:04 AM

A better picture for your Sunday morning... Lotus at 4 weeks.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...82fb2fdc80.jpg

seedsbelize 05-31-20 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21507273)
:eek: How can that be the first picture you've taken that isn't blurry as hell? :roflmao2:

I hope it heals as well as possible!

I honestly don't know. And I don't know how I got the black background either. Though I bet the two are related.

seedsbelize 05-31-20 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21507277)

Beauty! And a beautiful name

rjones28 05-31-20 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21507234)
You didn't listen to @coasting and get a Thomson seatpost? There's your problem right there :)

coasting The Wise

rjones28 05-31-20 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21507277)

:love:

rjones28 05-31-20 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21507243)
Certainly the spacing of the rails can be adjusted by squeezing or spreading.

Easier said than done. The rails are pretty stiff.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b15e180c92.jpg

Bah Humbug 05-31-20 10:19 AM

We went out and did two laps of the Veloway on our ride this morning. That place is going to be interesting for me.

Velo Vol 05-31-20 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21507257)
It doesn't bend on its own yet, as the tendon for that needs to be surgically repaired.

That's something that can be fixed?

Bah Humbug 05-31-20 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21507439)

They do it to football players all the time, as I understand. Just not on fingers usually in that case.

Velo Vol 05-31-20 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21507451)
They do it to football players all the time, as I understand. Just not on fingers usually in that case.

I have a finger with a messed up middle joint. I can't straighten it all the way.

I was told that they can't fix it. Well, I guess they can straighten it, but then the problem is I couldn't grip with it as I do now.

indyfabz 05-31-20 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21507290)
beauty! And a beautiful name

qft

indyfabz 05-31-20 12:39 PM

Rode past a shop that I used to give a lot of business to and saw the owner sitting outside the vandalized building. Couldn’t tell if anything had been stolen and didn’t have to the heart to stop and talk. We went to middle school together in the 70s. Later watched him build that business from a hole in the wall to a fine shop. Later, my ex texted me this.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6def625208.png

kissTheApex 05-31-20 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 2150762)
Later, my ex texted me this.

Very level headed, admirable response from the owner there.

Bah Humbug 05-31-20 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21507624)
Rode past a shop that I used to give a lot of business to and saw the owner sitting outside the vandalized building. Couldn’t tell if anything had been stolen and didn’t have to the heart to stop and talk. We went to middle school together in the 70s. Later watched him build that business from a hole in the wall to a fine shop. Later, my ex texted me this.

Goddammit people.

:(

How many more shoes are going to drop this year?

kissTheApex 05-31-20 02:40 PM

Anyone had a chance to try RGT’s Magic Roads before they had to limit it 5+ riders? I tried one of their “our giro” routes and expectedly it a road with “foggy” surroundings but wanted to check if anyone here tried it with a gpx of their own.

BillyD 05-31-20 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21507234)
You didn't listen to @coasting and get a Thomson seatpost? There's your problem right there :)

The old expression "A hard head makes for a soft behind" fits perfectly here. :bday:

Bah Humbug 05-31-20 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21507809)
Anyone had a chance to try RGT’s Magic Roads before they had to limit it 5+ riders? I tried one of their “our giro” routes and expectedly it a road with “foggy” surroundings but wanted to check if anyone here tried it with a gpx of their own.

How is that app overall? Do they put you on an "unlock" treadmill like Strava, or can you just do whatever you want? Is it fun enough if you just want to ride around on your own?

seedsbelize 05-31-20 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21507439)

Seems so
#modernmedicine

big john 05-31-20 03:15 PM

Watching live Supercross right now. No fans in the stadium. First sports event I've watched since the shutdown.

kissTheApex 05-31-20 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21507820)
How is that app overall? Do they put you on an "unlock" treadmill like Strava, or can you just do whatever you want? Is it fun enough if you just want to ride around on your own?

well, the app is not as refined, and it has two tiers of membership, free and subscription, which is free* indefinitely during the coved 19 lockdown.

Free version does not have access to workout and magic road creation, but I believe you can ride a magic road if you’re invited to it. There aren’t many roadside elements (at least for the routes I tried), but on general, it doesn’t feel that much different than Zwift. The main difference is all their routes are real world routes.

I downloaded it to try something different for a little bit, and also to check their Magic road creation, but it looks like because of the extra load they have on their servers, they’ve limited magic road rides to 5 or more riders.

the downside is, you absolutely need two devices at all times to use it. The “screen” app is exactly what the name implies, shows the world around you as it is fed by the core app. The core app handles the UI, pairs the app to your sensors, and drives the screen app. So unless you have a samsung/android device with built in ANT+ radio, you’re limited to Bluetooth for all your sensors, and its windows screen app is limited to windows 10.

I haven’t tried any group rides yet, but if you just jump in and ride, most of the time you’re alone as the user base is quite limited, at least for now.

at a minimum, you need a smart trainer, as it requires a power meter (power source) to work.

* Once you download the app and register to the free version, you send an email to a specific email address they have on their website, and they open the subscription only features to your account.

** Also, there’s no clear “pair” menu, so you pair your devices just before your first ride/workout.

indyfabz 05-31-20 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21507805)
Goddammit people.

:(

How many more shoes are going to drop this year?

Later learned he got hit hard and that a friend had his bike stolen from the shop. It was there for service.

City-wide curfew has been moved up to 6 pm. Whole Food was taking no chances today.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3e0746eca.jpeg

Bah Humbug 05-31-20 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21507869)
well, the app is not as refined, and it has two tiers of membership, free and subscription, which is free* indefinitely during the coved 19 lockdown.

Free version does not have access to workout and magic road creation, but I believe you can ride a magic road if you’re invited to it. There aren’t many roadside elements (at least for the routes I tried), but on general, it doesn’t feel that much different than Zwift. The main difference is all their routes are real world routes.

I downloaded it to try something different for a little bit, and also to check their Magic road creation, but it looks like because of the extra load they have on their servers, they’ve limited magic road rides to 5 or more riders.

the downside is, you absolutely need two devices at all times to use it. The “screen” app is exactly what the name implies, shows the world around you as it is fed by the core app. The core app handles the UI, pairs the app to your sensors, and drives the screen app. So unless you have a samsung/android device with built in ANT+ radio, you’re limited to Bluetooth for all your sensors, and its windows screen app is limited to windows 10.

I haven’t tried any group rides yet, but if you just jump in and ride, most of the time you’re alone as the user base is quite limited, at least for now.

at a minimum, you need a smart trainer, as it requires a power meter (power source) to work.

* Once you download the app and register to the free version, you send an email to a specific email address they have on their website, and they open the subscription only features to your account.

** Also, there’s no clear “pair” menu, so you pair your devices just before your first ride/workout.

Thanks. I'm drenched in electronics, so I've been running Rouvy from my W10 Surface Book (with weak but discrete card) and can certainly run the core app on my iPhone, and all my sensors toss out BT anyway; I record via ANT+ to my watch for my records and the BT output just sits on Rouvy's servers. Plus a TV for additional video.

But man, moving the standard premium to $15 for training apps is brutal (thanks Zwift). I don't think that's going to compete with Rouvy any time soon for me.

I'd really like to try the Tacx software, but limiting it to their own hardware sucks.

Velo Vol 05-31-20 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21507897)
Whole Food was taking no precautions today.

Incorrect.