Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

Bah Humbug 06-03-20 06:49 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21512502)
The only problem with the Varia is the anxiety of not having it (forgot to charge it or whatever) after you've grown accustomed to it.

Also, if you haven't seen, you can pair it to as many head units as you'd like - there's no pairing mode, it's always open broadcasting - so both you and AG can have the readout. The person that's piggybacking just has to be aware that the indicated car positioning is relative to the light, obv, not their own position (but you two stick close together, anyway, it seems).

I have a six-port high-power USB charging hub on the coffee table, with wires coming off for miniUSB, microUSB, lightning, and ForeRunner. Everything is always charged up. :thumb:

rjones28 06-03-20 06:50 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21512433)
It's raining

I might get wet on my commute today.

rjones28 06-03-20 06:56 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21512503)
This is why AG and I literally don't surprise each other with gifts. Economists will actually tell you that gift-giving, as at Christmas or birthdays, is inefficient: depending on which study you look at, between 10% and 30% of a gift's value is wasted (in terms of price vs value to the recipient). Great for the holiday-industrial complex; terrible for your wallet and happiness. It's much better to make sure that if you buy someone a gift, it's something they would do for themselves. The exception would be things like how I would likely not actually buy myself an R5 (or P5X), but if AG paid that premium for a gift (she doesn't read this so it's not a hint, and I'm not getting a new bike until the new DA drops and we see what Shimano's next direction is), I'd cherish and enjoy that great bike that I wouldn't buy myself. Those are rare cases, though; most surprise gifts are things the recipient doesn't want as much as they cost, and thus are stupid and wasteful. It gets worse the wealthier you are, because you're more likely to have already bought yourself the things you find valuable for the cost.

:rolleyes:

Bah Humbug 06-03-20 07:06 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21512528)
:rolleyes:

I figured someone would be offended at that. What do you call the endless drumbeat that we all need to go buy each other gifts and cards for every holiday under the sun and then we’ll go ahead and invent some new ones? Gifts are inefficient; social pressure to buy more of them only serves those who are doing the selling, since they make more than their products are worth.

Any comment on my actual point?

rjones28 06-03-20 07:11 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21512541)
I figured someone would be offended at that. What do you call the endless drumbeat that we all need to go buy each other gifts and cards for every holiday under the sun and then we’ll go ahead and invent some new ones? Gifts are inefficient; social pressure to buy more of them only serves those who are doing the selling, since they make more than their products are worth.

Any comment on my actual point?

I'm not offended. I'm amused by your label.

Trsnrtr 06-03-20 07:34 AM

I’ve reached the point in my life that if I need something, I buy it. I’m sure many can relate. But then again, occasionally I get a practical and usable gift from someone like my son gave me yesterday to wear on my rides:


https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b9227d308.jpeg

indyfabz 06-03-20 07:34 AM

At some point in the not-so-distant past I eclipsed the 26,000 post mark and didn't realize it. Too many damn distractions, such as work.

seedsbelize 06-03-20 07:38 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21512541)
I figured someone would be offended at that. What do you call the endless drumbeat that we all need to go buy each other gifts and cards for every holiday under the sun and then we’ll go ahead and invent some new ones? Gifts are inefficient; social pressure to buy more of them only serves those who are doing the selling, since they make more than their products are worth.

Any comment on my actual point?

"I figured someone would be offended at that"
I almost gave you the thumbs up. You have been speaking my language the last couple days. The holiday industrial complex was the one and only issue driving my initial forays out of the country back in the mid 80s.

indyfabz 06-03-20 07:47 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21512503)
This is why AG and I literally don't surprise each other with gifts. Economists will actually tell you that gift-giving, as at Christmas or birthdays, is inefficient: depending on which study you look at, between 10% and 30% of a gift's value is wasted (in terms of price vs value to the recipient). Great for the holiday-industrial complex; terrible for your wallet and happiness. It's much better to make sure that if you buy someone a gift, it's something they would do for themselves. The exception would be things like how I would likely not actually buy myself an R5 (or P5X), but if AG paid that premium for a gift (she doesn't read this so it's not a hint, and I'm not getting a new bike until the new DA drops and we see what Shimano's next direction is), I'd cherish and enjoy that great bike that I wouldn't buy myself. Those are rare cases, though; most surprise gifts are things the recipient doesn't want as much as they cost, and thus are stupid and wasteful. It gets worse the wealthier you are, because you're more likely to have already bought yourself the things you find valuable for the cost.

I see where you are coming from. I was straightening up my computer room/office the other day as saw the wireless headphones my long-time GF got me for Christmas one year. That was probably in the late 2002s. To this day I have never even tried them. When she gave them to me it was one of those "Uh....Gee. Thanks?" moments. After that, she got much better at picking gifts that I could really use/wanted but might have been to frugal or whatever to buy for myself, like my first digital camera to take on trips. I, on the other hand, have always been pretty good at buying non-frivolous gifts, unless they are inexpensive, gag gifts. She even got a new bike once.

Velo Vol 06-03-20 08:17 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21512453)
Throughout the day? 5 or 6 17fl.oz bottles plus a couple mugs of coffee.

How much did you drink (above normal) in the hour before the ride?

Velo Vol 06-03-20 08:21 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21512602)
"I figured someone would be offended at that"
I almost gave you the thumbs up. You have been speaking my language the last couple days. The holiday industrial complex was the one and only issue driving my initial forays out of the country back in the mid 80s.

You left America because most people give holiday gifts?

Velo Vol 06-03-20 08:23 AM

DougRNS


abshipp 06-03-20 08:35 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21512505)
Are you not a serious cyclist?

Do serious cyclists carry two bottles?


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21512673)
How much did you drink (above normal) in the hour before the ride?

I think 2 or 3 of those 17fl.oz bottles, total.

seedsbelize 06-03-20 08:36 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21512681)
You left America because most people give holiday gifts?

Yes

Velo Vol 06-03-20 09:26 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21512713)
I think 2 or 3 of those 17fl.oz bottles, total.

Seems like enough.

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21512714)
Yes

LOL Too many lumps of coal in your stocking?

phrantic09 06-03-20 09:34 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21512394)
Speaking of my fredly bike, I bought another thing to hang on it: the Varia RTL515. Seemed like a good idea with adding a bunch of new on-road riding, especially around daybreak. I know WhyFi approves, and at least I know they're not about to release a new one on me.

Worth every penny. I wonder what I ever did without it.

DougRNS 06-03-20 09:37 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21512684)

just heard this on the radio.
RIP Johnny

DougRNS 06-03-20 09:45 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21512433)
It's raining

tears from Johnny Majors fans.:(

Velo Vol 06-03-20 09:49 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21512433)
It's raining

Jadesfire


https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ebf682cff1.png

phrantic09 06-03-20 10:03 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21512623)
I see where you are coming from. I was straightening up my computer room/office the other day as saw the wireless headphones my long-time GF got me for Christmas one year. That was probably in the late 2002s. To this day I have never even tried them. When she gave them to me it was one of those "Uh....Gee. Thanks?" moments. After that, she got much better at picking gifts that I could really use/wanted but might have been to frugal or whatever to buy for myself, like my first digital camera to take on trips. I, on the other hand, have always been pretty good at buying non-frivolous gifts, unless they are inexpensive, gag gifts. She even got a new bike once.

Wife and I typically give each other gifts that we were going to buy regardless. I ordered a jersey the other day that’s going to turn into my Father’s Day gift.

datlas 06-03-20 10:14 AM

Made it home just before the storm. Not enough time to do water supply intel, went with known source. Inhaled a fly and it feels stuck in my bronchus.

#shouldawornamask

indyfabz 06-03-20 10:36 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21512920)
Inhaled a fly and it feels stuck in my bronchus.

#shouldawornamask

You should not inhale flies.

The hottest look in masks:


https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8a29314a3.jpeg

indyfabz 06-03-20 10:40 AM

Mother Nature just pissed her pantsuit. Now I hear fire trucks.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9d5a84b99.jpeg

noodle soup 06-03-20 10:59 AM

A friend of mine just gave me a 1998/99 Cannondale RT 1000 tandem. It's in excellent condition, but will get new saddles, handlebar tape, and clip-less pedals.

Trsnrtr 06-03-20 11:00 AM

Snapped a quick link this morning. One of the pins separated from the side plate. Had to make the call of shame.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.