Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

Velo Vol 06-15-20 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21535394)
One of Heidiís classmates plays trumpet quite well and is going to Berklee School of Music next year. He played a jazz tune that had a fun sound to it. Flutter tongue. You trill your tongue (like rrrrrr in Spanish) while playing. Try it!

I can't trill my tongue.

bampilot06 06-15-20 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21535226)
The quickest way is to cut all sugar from your diet, including fruit and fast-burn carbs. After two-three weeks, your body adjusts and starts burning fat for energy. I was on that diet when I rode three centuries a month. As a side effect, you will drop those last ten pounds without any difficulty.

so this means no more ice cream?

WhyFi 06-15-20 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21535452)

Next thing you know, they'll be saying that donuts aren't a healthy choice, either.

WhyFi 06-15-20 02:11 PM

Kids and I got out for a little ride/walk this morning. The boy waxed poetic about nature and the girl commented, "this is a really great forest!" They prolly need to get out more often.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f59b31b5d1.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9287710ec4.jpg

indyfabz 06-15-20 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21535040)
When I toured I tried to have a good lunch every day.

Thatís my preference. Iíve pretty much done away with the big breakfast. If Iíve had a proper dinner the night before I just donít need one. Coffee and something like fig bars or a bagel and Iím good. Love picking up a sandwich and chips during the dayís ride and stopping somewhere pretty for lunch. Loved that in Spain. Iíd often get jamon, goat cheese and bread at a local market then pedal to a nice spot and make a bocadilla.

Trsnrtr 06-15-20 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21535247)

Nice. :thumb:

Trsnrtr 06-15-20 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21535482)
Kids and I got out for a little ride/walk this morning. The boy waxed poetic about nature and the girl commented, "this is a really great forest!" They prolly need to get out more often.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f59b31b5d1.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9287710ec4.jpg

:thumb:

noodle soup 06-15-20 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21535489)
Nice. :thumb:

Thanks.

Nice gift, eh? A friend bought another tandem, and figured he didnít need 6 tandems.

LAJ 06-15-20 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21535457)
Next thing you know, they'll be saying that donuts aren't a healthy choice, either.

Cheesecake is the only viable choice. Eat enough of it and you will literally disappear.

Trsnrtr 06-15-20 02:33 PM

Got done with a 37 miler today with my wife and noticed while loading our bikes up in the van that my front tire had an orange spot in the tread. I had a puncture and wasn’t even aware of it and tire still feels pretty firm. It must have sealed pretty fast. :thumb:

Trsnrtr 06-15-20 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21535507)
Thanks.

Nice gift, eh? A friend bought another tandem, and figured he didnít need 6 tandems.

I like the color. Enjoy!

datlas 06-15-20 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21535414)
Is he going to be the Leo P of trumpet? Edit: this is post-1977

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD8ZO5P9yzQ

Possibly. He is the most talented musician in this yearís graduating senior class. Daughter #1 could rival him though.

datlas 06-15-20 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21535415)
I can't trill my tongue.

Sad. Can an old mouse learn new tricks?

LAJ 06-15-20 02:56 PM

I wonder if Spike Jones did that whilst playing Flight of the Bumblebee on a trombone.

indyfabz 06-15-20 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21535526)
Got done with a 37 miler today with my wife and noticed while loading our bikes up in the van that my front tire had an orange spot in the tread. I had a puncture and wasnít even aware of it and tire still feels pretty firm. It must have sealed pretty fast. :thumb:

Wipe down the front. Orange Seal can stain. Ask me how I know.

WhyFi 06-15-20 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21535631)
Wipe down the front. Orange Seal can stain. Ask me how I know.

Ew. I've had it become a bear to remove, if it sits for a couple weeks, but haven't experienced staining.

BillyD 06-15-20 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21535524)
Cheesecake is the only viable choice. Eat enough of it and you will literally disappear.

Sshhhh, don't tell everybody.

seedsbelize 06-15-20 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21535002)
Ouch. Sad.

Quoting only to get your attention. My doctor is a bigger fan of diclofenoc than I am. She has prescribed (today) 100 mg every 12 hours, for ten days, plus 1.16% diclofenoc gel once daily on the affected finger. Personally, I would rather not do any of it. Do you have an educated opinion to offer?
TIA
Could I put the hand in a warm water bath and get the same effect?

seedsbelize 06-15-20 03:49 PM

I couldn't give up the fruit

bampilot06 06-15-20 03:54 PM

Had my best feeling ride ever today. Temperature was perfect, roads were relatively empty and I felt well rested. I also utilized the drops for almost all of the ride. I usually only use them on hills.
I changed my position while iím on the drops, and it instantly became more comfortable, and felt more natural.
Iím still learning the zones but I would imagine I was mostly in zone 2. I kept it on the large chain ring and my cadence was 85 to 90 where Iím usually at 95 to 105. Heart rate was up, and where I usually dial it back after a sprint I focused on keeping the pace up.
I wish I could have kept going, but I ran out of time.

datlas 06-15-20 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21535679)
Quoting only to get your attention. My doctor is a bigger fan of diclofenoc than I am. She has prescribed (today) 100 mg every 12 hours, for ten days, plus 1.16% diclofenoc gel once daily on the affected finger. Personally, I would rather not do any of it. Do you have an educated opinion to offer?
TIA

Tough to say, but I donít think itís harmful to skip the Diclofenac if thatís your preference.

seedsbelize 06-15-20 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21535526)
Got done with a 37 miler today with my wife and noticed while loading our bikes up in the van that my front tire had an orange spot in the tread. I had a puncture and wasnít even aware of it and tire still feels pretty firm. It must have sealed pretty fast. :thumb:

I just bought my first tubulars last evening. I won't have them in hand until September at the earliest. Nor will I have the hubs to build the wheels.That will give me the time I need, to contemplate putting sealer in them, or not. What would you advise? I'm leaning toward not putting sealer in. Or maybe just the rear. I'm also leaning heavily in favor of glue, over tape. For the same reason I'm leaning away from sealer.
I'm excited at the prospect of finally making the leap.

MoAlpha 06-15-20 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21535679)
TIA

Very different effect, almost the opposite, since both inflammation, which diclofenac suppresses, and heat both increase blood flow.

I'm with @datlas as always. Your doc might know something I don't—I'm wrong all the time, but treatment of a healing traumatic injury is an idiosyncratic use of that drug for sure. The available evidence suggests that the inflammatory component of the soft tissue and bone healing processes is probably beneficial and NSAIDs are generally considered a risk for healing.

seedsbelize 06-15-20 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21535713)
Tough to say, but I donít think itís harmful to skip the Diclofenac if thatís your preference.

Exactly the definitive advice I was looking for. What are your thoughts on the side effects?

Bah Humbug 06-15-20 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21535552)
Sad. Can an old mouse learn new tricks?

I haven't been able to roll an R in Spanish or Italian, nor even understand how horribly American my Rs sound in German.