Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

BillyD 06-26-20 07:41 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21553794)
As @datlas says, anytime dehydration is possible, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen, are best avoided.

Just curious, what is the chemical/physiological mechanism behind that?

LAJ 06-26-20 07:43 AM

If you are riding more and harder than usual, rest days are important. Staying completely off the bike for days on end, is not. An hour of active recovery, spinning around, very low power, will do wonders. As was also mentioned, your legs will feel like crap as you get back on, but some of my most surprising workouts have been when the first ten minutes, I questioned whether I could even complete an interval, much less nail it. Just because you're on the bike, doesn't mean you have to try for the hour record.

big john 06-26-20 07:44 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21554087)
Come to S. Jersey, eastern Delaware or eastern Maryland. The downside is no coasting down hills. I sometimes lead a 75 ride in Jersey. People underestimate its difficulty because of the terrain. But with few traffic control devices and no real climbs, you are constantly pedaling, and the wind can be a factor as well.

Thanks for the invitation but it's not likely I'll be traveling anywhere soon.:) I understand about the flat sections, it's the only thing I was ever good at. I always made friends when it was windy.

seedsbelize 06-26-20 07:49 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21554090)
Someone tossed out the ďMĒ word without substantiation and a few took it as fact.

That was my first reaction when I learned that one of the most influential people in my life, despite being a very experienced cyclist, had been hit by a car and killed while riding home from work. I later learned it was 100% her fault, so I am sensitive to the issue.

In any event, I donít think the thread is the right place for that discussion.

Yes. The 'm' word. It sticks out like a sore thumb. We all have lapses

seedsbelize 06-26-20 07:51 AM


Originally Posted by RUOkie (Post 21554160)
Hi. After 4 yrs, I logged on. Was just told about PCAD by Rog (if anyone remembers him). I was pretty sad about it despite my not so good relationship with him. So while logged in I thought I'd say hello. Still riding the same bikes, will be riding my age tomorrow for my birthday (53m), then eating lots of food and likely drinking one too many IPAs.
My private practice gave up the ghost, and I'm working for the VA and loving it, (COVID aside). I got remarried in 2016 and am the dad to a teenage girl (who alternates between being the best person in the world and driving me insane). So my life is blessed.

See you in another 4 yrs. :)

Glad to meet you, RUOkie

seedsbelize 06-26-20 07:52 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21554198)
Youíre describing my persistent state.

And mine

seedsbelize 06-26-20 07:54 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21554223)
Oof. It's payday and there's a bike I've always lusted over for sale locally.

You know what to do

WhyFi 06-26-20 07:56 AM

DHL is starting to piss me off.

I paid the duties online as soon as I got the email notification yesterday morning. Shortly after that, I got a notification that the wheels had magically teleported and had already arrived in Mpls (:bday:) but no change in the estimated delivery date of Monday (:().

Then I got a notification that the shipment was being withheld until the duties were paid. At that point, I called up DHL - they said that they saw that I'd paid, but that they wouldn't have a chance to deliver until Monday. I asked if I could just pick the damn box up myself (the distribution center is only 6 or 7 miles away). They said that I could; they'd change the delivery request, but it would take time for someone to pick it from the warehouse and that it wouldn't be ready until today, despite the fact that it wasn't even noon yet.

As of now, no notification that it's ready to pick up and the status still isn't reflecting that I've paid the duties, which makes me wonder if anyone is going to bother to pick the box before said status changes.

seedsbelize 06-26-20 07:58 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21554252)
Jezuz. Are you trying to pack on muscle? I thought that the general guideline for active adults was something like 1-2g per kg? I'm at ~85kg and usually take in somewhere around 120g/day.

And here I am hovering in the 50g range. Maybe that could be my issue.
Of course I'm not sleeping well either. Waking up early is easy peasy. Going to sleep, at any hour, is not. I have never had trouble sleeping. Now I do.

phrantic09 06-26-20 08:02 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21554252)
Jezuz. Are you trying to pack on muscle? I thought that the general guideline for active adults was something like 1-2g per kg? I'm at ~85kg and usually take in somewhere around 120g/day.

Wife and I lift heavy 2-3x weekly as well, mostly itís about maintaining muscle.

Velo Gator 06-26-20 08:08 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21554265)
Hi Velo Gator . How's Oscar these days?

Iíve mostly traded Oscar for a peloton. Which PCad gave me quite a hassle about.

WhyFi 06-26-20 08:08 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21554334)
Wife and I lift heavy 2-3x weekly as well, mostly itís about maintaining muscle.

Cool - makes sense if you're doing the heavy work.

I'm just trying to maintain muscle while also cutting weight, makes for a fun balancing act.

abshipp 06-26-20 08:09 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21554327)
DHL is starting to piss me off.

I paid the duties online as soon as I got the email notification yesterday morning. Shortly after that, I got a notification that the wheels had magically teleported and had already arrived in Mpls (:bday:) but no change in the estimated delivery date of Monday (:().

Then I got a notification that the shipment was being withheld until the duties were paid. At that point, I called up DHL - they said that they saw that I'd paid, but that they wouldn't have a chance to deliver until Monday. I asked if I could just pick the damn box up myself (the distribution center is only 6 or 7 miles away). They said that I could; they'd change the delivery request, but it would take time for someone to pick it from the warehouse and that it wouldn't be ready until today, despite the fact that it wasn't even noon yet.

As of now, no notification that it's ready to pick up and the status still isn't reflecting that I've paid the duties, which makes me wonder if anyone is going to bother to pick the box before said status changes.

Annoying.

I tried to be clever one time and re-route a UPS delivery to be picked up at the distribution center near my work, thinking I could save a day. Ended up taking them longer to re-route the package for pickup than if I had just waited for them to drop it off at my door :rolleyes:

phrantic09 06-26-20 08:17 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21554345)
Cool - makes sense if you're doing the heavy work.

I'm just trying to maintain muscle while also cutting weight, makes for a fun balancing act.

Im trying to lose a little weight too... I put on 15 pounds since March, too much IPA and baking going on in this house.


Bummer about your wheels

WhyFi 06-26-20 08:19 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21554349)
Annoying.

I tried to be clever one time and re-route a UPS delivery to be picked up at the distribution center near my work, thinking I could save a day. Ended up taking them longer to re-route the package for pickup than if I had just waited for them to drop it off at my door :rolleyes:

That's one of the things that I was afraid of, but seeing as I'd be picking it up from the same place where it's currently sitting, I didn't think that it'd be a problem. I'm still think that I'll get my greedy paws on them today, but the lack of status change is gnawing at me and I don't want to have to call and sit on hold for another 15 minutes 'til a human is on the line.

WhyFi 06-26-20 08:24 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21554369)
Im trying to lose a little weight too... I put on 15 pounds since March, too much IPA and baking going on in this house.


Bummer about your wheels

Those 16 oz cans of NE DIPAs can make a big dent in the calorie budget. I've got a weak spot for 'em, too (a couple of the guys in my club are brewers and I've been turned on to the good stuff), but I've been trying to find lower-cal options. What I'm finding is that I'd rather have one 200 cal IPA (12oz, not hazy, DIPA or anything else) instead of two 100 cal session IPAs. 100 cal hard seltzers? Hate to admit it, but those hit the spot in the summer.

seedsbelize 06-26-20 08:27 AM

Nice to make your acquaintance too, @Velo Gator.

Velo Gator 06-26-20 08:34 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21554384)
Nice to make your acquaintance too, @Velo Gator.

Howdy, and forgive my emotion - Peter was a dear friend and he shouldnít be gone. Iím going on a 24 hour-long headache and ingesting nothing but coffee. Iím hoping as we approach the halfway point 2020 will start to get better...

abshipp 06-26-20 08:38 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21554322)
You know what to do

Did a little digging into it.

Looks like this one has a 1 1/4" headset and fork, with a stem that has a voluntary recall due to a few failures.

The pitch to the wife was that it wouldn't need any money put into it, but now it looks like it's not necessarily the case.

I mean, it never really is, but I'm not sure I want to open that can of worms.

MoAlpha 06-26-20 08:40 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21554299)
Just curious, what is the chemical/physiological mechanism behind that?

NSAIDs and blood volume reduction from dehydration both produce signals that decrease kidney blood flow. The combination can reduce flow to the point where permanent kidney damage (acute tubular necrosis) occurs.

LAJ 06-26-20 08:43 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Gator (Post 21554390)
Howdy, and forgive my emotion - Peter was a dear friend and he shouldnít be gone. Iím going on a 24 hour-long headache and ingesting nothing but coffee. Iím hoping as we approach the halfway point 2020 will start to get better...

No apology needed, or necessary.

LAJ 06-26-20 08:45 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21554402)
NSAIDs and blood volume reduction from dehydration both produce signals that decrease kidney blood flow. The combination can reduce flow to the point where permanent kidney damage (acute tubular necrosis) occurs.

One time use, or over a period of time?

I know of TT guys that will take 800 mg prior to an hour TT, and that usually means no water/fluids ingested, other that prior and post TT.

Velo Gator 06-26-20 08:47 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21554408)
No apology needed, or necessary.

:hug:

MoAlpha 06-26-20 08:53 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21554411)
One time use, or over a period of time?

I know of TT guys that will take 800 mg prior to an hour TT, and that usually means no water/fluids ingested, other that prior and post TT.

These are acute effects, i.e., one-time use. I would regard that practice as risky. There's a safety margin, but it varies quite a bit among individuals.

datlas 06-26-20 08:56 AM


Originally Posted by RUOkie (Post 21554160)
Hi. After 4 yrs, I logged on. Was just told about PCAD by Rog (if anyone remembers him). I was pretty sad about it despite my not so good relationship with him. So while logged in I thought I'd say hello. Still riding the same bikes, will be riding my age tomorrow for my birthday (53m), then eating lots of food and likely drinking one too many IPAs.
My private practice gave up the ghost, and I'm working for the VA and loving it, (COVID aside). I got remarried in 2016 and am the dad to a teenage girl (who alternates between being the best person in the world and driving me insane). So my life is blessed.

See you in another 4 yrs. :)

Good to see you. Glad all ok.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:22 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.