Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Totally Tubular (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=154679)

ScottRyder 12-27-11 07:39 AM

I used them when I was young, moved over to clinchers, now everything is going back to tubulars.

Scott

lotek 12-27-11 07:59 AM

Dawes-man, another name for the tyre-savers is Flint-catchers.
I like tyre-savers if installed correctly they will flick off any debris (rocks, glass etc.)
before it has a chance to be driven further into your tyre and puncture
the tubes.
The other trick I was taught was to 'wipe' tires after riding through
glass etc. use the palm of your glove and allow the tire to run across
it, but you need to be careful doing so. Wipe front tire just in front
of the downtube just don't grab it so hard it pulls your hand into the fork.
For the back tire between tire and seatube, NEVER behind the brake bridge
where your had will be pulled into it.
I think there's a wealth of information on this in the CR archives.

I don't own any clinchers and yeah I guess I'm an oldtimer.

Marty

gomango 12-27-11 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by ultraman6970 (Post 13643437)
I dont agree with neurocop that much. :)

Any old timer here still using tubulars???

Of course, but not exclusively.

ultraman6970 12-27-11 08:59 AM

Was asking about the old timers because I dont know if any of you have the custom of taking the air out of the tubulars (at least 50% of the pressure) when you guys are not using that bike or the wheels???

rootboy 12-27-11 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by lotek (Post 13643839)
The other trick I was taught was to 'wipe' tires after riding through
glass etc. use the palm of your glove and allow the tire to run across
it, but you need to be careful doing so. Wipe front tire just in front
of the downtube just don't grab it so hard it pulls your hand into the fork.
Marty

I do this too Marty, even with my Flint Catchers installed. However, I have a different method. I never put my gloved hand on the front tire in front of the down tube, behind the fork crown. I reach up in front of the brake and let my gloved fingers rub on the tire for a couple of revolutions.

rootboy 12-27-11 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by ultraman6970 (Post 13643986)
Was asking about the old timers because I dont know if any of you have the custom of taking the air out of the tubulars (at least 50% of the pressure) when you guys are not using that bike or the wheels???

I don't bother with this. My tubulars lose pressure on their own after a few days. Self-regulating. :)

lotek 12-27-11 09:22 AM

I use that method too, depending on the bike, a few of mine that works
out to be quite a long reach.
with modern tires (tyres, singles etc.) I don't let the air out between rides,
some of my tires have latex tubes so they do it for me.

rootboy 12-27-11 09:31 AM

Yes. True enough. It can be quite a stretch out to the tire. I'm not as flexible as I used to be, so maybe I should try the behind the brake location. I was just always too afraid to do it there. Horrible visions popped into my head.

gomango 12-27-11 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by rootboy (Post 13644058)
I don't bother with this. My tubulars lose pressure on their own after a few days. Self-regulating. :)

Agreed.

Especially the Vittorias on my wife's De Rosa.

RobbieTunes 12-27-11 11:19 AM

Mine don't. Of all my tires, they hold air better than any.
One used to go down overnight, bad valve. I inserted a new one with blue loc-tite.
No problem since.

RobbieTunes 12-27-11 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by ultraman6970 (Post 13643437)
Any old timer here still using tubulars???

I am.

I like the look of some modern wheels, so I'm going to see if I can find those Wolber TX Profile aero tubular rims.
Spoke count is always the problem, and the obstacle.

As far as cost, I paid $103 delivered for two tires and tape, and not cheap tubulars, either.
That's comparable to clinchers with tubes of that quality.

With prettier tires out there, clean tape installation, ugly messy tubulars are no longer the norm.

Ex Pres 12-27-11 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes (Post 13644467)
Mine don't. Of all my tires, they hold air better than any.
One used to go down overnight, bad valve. I inserted a new one with blue loc-tite.
No problem since.

You need to try some up-market tubulars with Latex, not butyl, tubes. :)

Road Fan 12-28-11 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by ultraman6970 (Post 13643986)

Not sure if I'm and old-enough timer for you, but I've never had the custom of removing the air. Not sure what the benefit would be, considering potential stress on the valve and the valve to innertube bond.

Road Fan 12-28-11 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ultraman6970 (Post 13642188)
What u guys call booting when repairing?? My english is bad so no idea what u guys mean by booting? Put a reinforcement inside of the carcass??

Did not know that stitcher device... cool :)

ps: the only issue I find with the stitcher device is the type of stitch it does. Anybody is actually using it??

Yes, I have used it. What's your issue with the type of stitch it does?

Bianchigirll 12-28-11 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by sisddwg (Post 13643284)
Campagnolo Lambda vs Fir Rigel: I have both, NOS. Which will build a better wheel or are the equal?

I am not familiar with the details of either but ig they are about the same I would use the FIR rims. if you wanted to sell a pair at somepoint you would be able to sell the Campis quicker. a few winters ago I bout several pair of NOS FIR rims for less than half of what people were asking for things like a Mavic MA40.

I think I am about 50/50 right now.

JohnDThompson 12-28-11 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by ultraman6970 (Post 13642188)
ps: the only issue I find with the stitcher device is the type of stitch it does. Anybody is actually using it??

Yes, I use it.

It creates a locked stitch, just like a sewing machine:

http://youtu.be/yNFMzAEW0V0

lotek 12-28-11 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes (Post 13644488)
I am.

I like the look of some modern wheels, so I'm going to see if I can find those Wolber TX Profile aero tubular rims.
Spoke count is always the problem, and the obstacle.
. . .

I have a pair of Wolber Profile A tubular rims. Problem is they have hidden spoke nipples and I don't have the
washers or nipples. Been looking for those for yonks (as my South African friends would say).

sisddwg 12-29-11 11:11 AM

Do you unfold and refold your spare between rides or do you leave them folded on the bike?

Scooper 12-29-11 12:28 PM

I gave in and went with tubular for the wheels on my 1940 Paramount; clinchers just wouldn't have been right on this frame. I built the wheels myself using NOS Mavic rims, Campy Record high flange pista hubs, and DT Swiss double-butted Competition stainless spokes laced 3-cross. Tires are Vittoria Pista CS 622-22.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7...CIMG7241cr.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7...IMG7242med.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7...icRimLabel.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7...toriaLabel.jpg

ultraman6970 12-29-11 04:24 PM

Back in the day tubulars were made of natural fibers so they had the tendency to expand more than they do now. I got the bad custom sine back in the day, that's why i was asking. I noticed the stuff last longer this way.

Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 13647550)
Not sure if I'm and old-enough timer for you, but I've never had the custom of removing the air. Not sure what the benefit would be, considering potential stress on the valve and the valve to innertube bond.

Bianchigirll 03-04-12 05:35 PM

Does anyone use the TUFO sealant? I have not even looked at the stuff since it was Genie Juice back in.... well some time ago.

I got a bottle from Yellow Jersey and while I expected a bit of trouble putting it in a tubular without a removable valve, I found I could hardly get the stuff out of the bottle at all. I trimmed the neck/nipple/spout whatever you call it but nothing came out. I stuck a spoke in to make sure it was clear and the neck came off when I pulled the spoke out. Along with it came this nasty looking brown spongy stuff that looked like something from the medical channel. There was some liquid in the bottle but I just could not get it to come out. did I get bad bottle or is this normal?

Road Fan 03-04-12 06:00 PM

Beautiful, Scooper!

Road Fan 03-04-12 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll (Post 13930960)
Does anyone use the TUFO sealant? I have not even looked at the stuff since it was Genie Juice back in.... well some time ago.

I got a bottle from Yellow Jersey and while I expected a bit of trouble putting it in a tubular without a removable valve, I found I could hardly get the stuff out of the bottle at all. I trimmed the neck/nipple/spout whatever you call it but nothing came out. I stuck a spoke in to make sure it was clear and the neck came off when I pulled the spoke out. Along with it came this nasty looking brown spongy stuff that looked like something from the medical channel. There was some liquid in the bottle but I just could not get it to come out. did I get bad bottle or is this normal?

I'm guessing the stuff was too old.

Bianchigirll 03-04-12 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 13931049)

That is what I was wondering

ciocc_cat 03-04-12 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by luker (Post 1830374)
i usta really like the Tubular Bells album...(am I showing my age?)

I still have mine - it came out the year I graduated from high school. Mike Oldfield = awesome!

Oh . . . are we talking about TIRES? I run 300 gram Servizio Corse tubulars on my Ciocc. These are very durable training tires that are perfect for everyday riding.

sekaijin 03-05-12 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 13931049)

+1

I used TUFO sealant but I've switched to Stan's NoTubes sealant. Same results as far as I can tell, dramatically less expensive.

mkadam68 03-17-12 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by sisddwg (Post 13651531)
Do you unfold and refold your spare between rides or do you leave them folded on the bike?

Semi-related: Living in SoCal, the glue on my spare tire appears to have dried out pretty good. I haven't gotten a flat (use the tubular wheels sparingly--race day only) and haven't needed to use the spare tire.

Any advice if I need to add another layer of glue to the spare before I go out for another ride?

RobbieTunes 03-17-12 11:54 AM

Not on the spare. The time to reglue that is if you end up using it full time.

RobbieTunes 03-17-12 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Scooper (Post 13651833)
I gave in and went with tubular for the wheels on my 1940 Paramount; clinchers just wouldn't have been right on this frame. I built the wheels myself using NOS Mavic rims, Campy Record high flange pista hubs, and DT Swiss double-butted Competition stainless spokes laced 3-cross. Tires are Vittoria Pista CS 622-22.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7...CIMG7241cr.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7...IMG7242med.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7...icRimLabel.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7...toriaLabel.jpg

Very nice bike, Stan. 100% correct on the look with tubulars. If I used glue like that, I'd not need tape.

DirtyHarry714 03-22-12 06:06 PM

I finally got my first set of tubular tires in the mail today, Vittoria Rally competition tires, i managed to get one on an extra rim i have so how long should i keep the tire inflated for, and how long should i keep the tire on the stretching rim until i have to do the other.

Thanks

-Harry