Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

arex 11-07-14 12:51 AM

My wife tells me that she had a Raleigh 3-speed when she was a kid, that had belonged to an aunt before her. She says she had fond memories of that bike.

ascherer 11-08-14 07:49 PM

Very sad that someone nicked my wife's 1972 Ladies Sports - it was a heck of a find, near-showroom. She's heartbroken. Looking to rustle up another quickly and am looking at something that I'm guessing might be a '77 LTD, checking it out tomorrow morning: VINTAGE RALEIGH LADIES 3SP

I don't see the bright green in the US catalogs. Canada model, maybe? Price is right for NYC but I've heard that the later 70's models weren't up to snuff compared to the decades prior. Any opinions? Thanks!

BGBeck 11-13-14 09:08 PM

FWIW Harbor Freight's Chain Breaker is $14.99 right now. http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...ter-press.html

Mr_Pacman 11-21-14 03:13 PM

Great thread!

Are there any companies that are currently making bikes like these in a cro-mo frame with an internal gear hub?

I have found some very nice, similar bikes on the Raleigh website (Port Townsend is a model that looks quite nice) but none of them have internal hubs and most have at least 18 speeds which I don't need.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

James

loubapache 11-21-14 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Pacman (Post 17328581)
Great thread!

Are there any companies that are currently making bikes like these in a cro-mo frame with an internal gear hub?

I have found some very nice, similar bikes on the Raleigh website (Port Townsend is a model that looks quite nice) but none of them have internal hubs and most have at least 18 speeds which I don't need.

James

I have three English 3-speed bikes but recently bought a new one with cro-mo frame and IGH. Here is the thread:

http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...mendation.html

Sixty Fiver 11-21-14 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Pacman (Post 17328581)
Great thread!

James

Problem here is that it is hard to find a new 3 speed that can compare to our classic 3 speeds and they are still abundant.

noglider 11-21-14 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 17329512)
Problem here is that it is hard to find a new 3 speed that can compare to our classic 3 speeds and they are still abundant.

Here is an excellent blog post on that topic: Lovely Bicycle!: Lovely Bicycles on a Budget: Vintage vs Modern

agmetal 11-22-14 12:29 AM

Mechanical question on the AW hub, for those who might know: I have a '71 AW, which has been making a scraping sound in 2nd gear. I haven't been able to get it open completely (I don't have the right tools to loosen the ball ring from the hub shell), but I can get it open enough to pull out the clutch assembly. In any case, I have another hub just sitting around, which I've been able to open up completely, and by comparing the two of them, I've been able to determine that the scraping sound happens when the ring gear is rotated, even with the hub opened up and turning the ring gear with my fingers. Any idea what specifically might be causing this? I'm sure I could figure it out if I was able to open the whole thing up, and maybe even just swap in parts from the other hub, but as it is, I'm kinda stuck.

Here's the bike it's built into...something of a frankenstein, and I'm planning to swap out the stem for one with more reach, so that I can move the saddle forward and have it feel a little more like my main bike.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...r/CAM01111.jpg

noglider 11-22-14 07:27 AM

That's a very handsome and practical bike!

Are you unable to buy a hammer and a punch? I think that's all you'll need.

Jawihan 11-22-14 07:45 AM

Hi Mr Pacman check out Virtue bikes. They make a model which looks just like a Raleigh with Sturmey IGH, drum brake etc. They also have a dealer in B.C.. They were selling these at a Very good price (IMHO). I think the model is 5M. If I knew how to attach the link to their web page, I would. Just google "Cool Cruisers Vancouver"
James

agmetal 11-22-14 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 17330175)
That's a very handsome and practical bike!

Are you unable to buy a hammer and a punch? I think that's all you'll need.

Thanks, this is the third incarnation of this basic build! (The first two were both singlespeeds with drop bars, and the second was on a different frame, which was unfortunately totaled in a collision...the reason for the more upright bars on this one is that the top tube is a little too long for me to ride comfortably with drops)

I tried to open it using a screwdriver as a punch, but found that it kept slipping out of the groove on the ball ring. What type of punch would I need to have more success with this?

markk900 11-22-14 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by agmetal (Post 17330362)
I tried to open it using a screwdriver as a punch, but found that it kept slipping out of the groove on the ball ring. What type of punch would I need to have more success with this?

Does your have the half moon indents or the square ones? All of the punches I have tried slip to a certain extent (guess that's why SA made a tool for the job!) but I found adjusting the angle of the punch works (which I am sure you have tried - just suggesting you keep trying). Square indents are easier, half moon ones are a pain.

noglider 11-22-14 09:27 AM

I don't remember seeing the kind with half moons, only the flats. Use a punch with a head that looks like a screwdriver head. A screwdriver doesn't work because it compresses when you bang it. Once you have the right tool, it becomes easy.

agmetal 11-22-14 09:35 AM

I believe mine are flat. I'll see what I can find and give it a shot...probably will be a few days before I actually have a chance, though, and the hub is working well otherwise.

Dan Burkhart 11-22-14 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 17330437)
I don't remember seeing the kind with half moons, only the flats. Use a punch with a head that looks like a screwdriver head. A screwdriver doesn't work because it compresses when you bang it. Once you have the right tool, it becomes easy.

I think the change to the half moons, or scalloped notches came along with the switch to NIG. My tool of choice for this job is a large brass punch. The tip, being softer than the steel of the ball ring, will deform slightly to take on the form of the lip when struck with a hammer, and afford better purchase. Never had one yet that I couldn't loosen this way.

JohnDThompson 11-22-14 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 17330437)
I don't remember seeing the kind with half moons, only the flats.

The modern production out of Taiwan has the rounded notches. Sturmey Archer does offer a tool for it; IIRC I got mine from BikeToolsEtc:

http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/sa-ballring-spanner.jpg

agmetal 11-22-14 09:12 PM

I stopped by Home Depot this evening, and didn't see any flat punches, just chisels and pin punches. What to do...?

Dan Burkhart 11-22-14 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by agmetal (Post 17331870)
I stopped by Home Depot this evening, and didn't see any flat punches, just chisels and pin punches. What to do...?

K Tool 72982 Brass Punch 3 8" | eBay

agmetal 11-23-14 08:58 AM

Found the same thing on the Home Depot website, I'll probably have one shipped to the store along my route home from work.

BGBeck 11-23-14 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by agmetal (Post 17331870)

Stop by Lowe's? ;)

agmetal 11-23-14 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by BGBeck (Post 17332631)
Stop by Lowe's? ;)

There's not one located particularly conveniently

Salubrious 11-24-14 04:11 PM

I had to rebuild a wheel for my GF's Humber Sport. I got a lucky break- found a 1953 AW hub at a donation LBS for $10.00. Upon arrival home I found that the toggle chain would not thread up. Fearing to find the remnants of a broken toggle chain inside or worse, I began taking the hub apart, something I've not done before.

Inside, the hub looked unused. The toggle chain would not go in because the bar it threads into had slipped out of position, likely because a cone somewhere was too loose. I sorted it out and put it back together- it was a snap. Now the hub works perfectly. When I built up the wheel with it, I had to remove the remnants of a tag tied to one of the spoke holes. I'm thinking this hub may be NOS on account of it looks so clean inside! In short, it pays to check out the donation LBS- apparently sometimes they get stock from other shops that have closed down.

I've found NOS domed (the good stuff) cotters this way too.

arex 11-24-14 04:38 PM

I'm getting my Sports powdercoated next week, and I need some ideas and opinions.

I was originally going to have it done in a dark green, as close to the original as I reasonably could. However, it occurs to me that a dark blue would be tasty, too. Opinions or other ideas?

Also, I'll be doing decals on top of the powdercoat. I haven't dealt with decals since I was a kid building models, and I've never done them on a bike. Am I going to have to clearcoat over them and, if so, is there anything tricky about clearcoating over powdercoat?

ergillma 11-24-14 09:32 PM

My '74 Raleigh Sports

1 Attachment(s)
I bought this '74 Raleigh Sports for $100 on Craigslist. I cleaned it up, and put on new tires, tubes, chain, and cables. It reminds me of the Western Flyer 3-speed that I had as a kid. Great bike!

gna 11-24-14 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by salubrious (Post 17336468)
i had to rebuild a wheel for my gf's humber sport. I got a lucky break- found a 1953 aw hub at a donation lbs for $10.00. Upon arrival home i found that the toggle chain would not thread up. Fearing to find the remnants of a broken toggle chain inside or worse, i began taking the hub apart, something i've not done before.

Inside, the hub looked unused. The toggle chain would not go in because the bar it threads into had slipped out of position, likely because a cone somewhere was too loose. I sorted it out and put it back together- it was a snap. Now the hub works perfectly. When i built up the wheel with it, i had to remove the remnants of a tag tied to one of the spoke holes. I'm thinking this hub may be nos on account of it looks so clean inside! In short, it pays to check out the donation lbs- apparently sometimes they get stock from other shops that have closed down.

I've found nos domed (the good stuff) cotters this way too.

mmrb?