Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

dweenk 01-09-16 01:51 PM

Went to my LBS late yesterday to get a few spokes for a couple of Westrick front wheels. I figured that I'd end up with shiny stainless spokes. The mechanice took a look at my wheel and said that he had just the spokes I needed. He came out with zinc coated drawn steel spokes that are nearly a perfect match to the old ones. :)

Velocivixen 01-09-16 03:20 PM

Would someone please explain to me how to get a 1975ish Raleigh hubbed front wheel into a Raleigh? The slots on the fork are not normal slots, they're a slot with a round part at the end. Every single time I try to get a wheel in or out I sort of have to spread the fork blades with my hands and wonder why the wheel won't just drop out. The nuts are off the axle.

There must be some "finesse" to doing this. I end up cussing and looking for a rubber mallet!!!!

nlerner 01-09-16 03:44 PM


Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 18447084)
Would someone please explain to me how to get a 1975ish Raleigh hubbed front wheel into a Raleigh? The slots on the fork are not normal slots, they're a slot with a round part at the end. Every single time I try to get a wheel in or out I sort of have to spread the fork blades with my hands and wonder why the wheel won't just drop out. The nuts are off the axle.

There must be some "finesse" to doing this. I end up cussing and looking for a rubber mallet!!!!

Yeah, that system leaves something to be desired! I try to hook my thumbs around the fork blades and pull out while my index fingers are pulling up on the axle. Kind of hard to describe. But I also have a rudimentary fork spreader that I was given when the bike shopped I worked at closed up.

Velocivixen 01-09-16 06:25 PM

@nlerner - I know what you mean. Thanks. Ok, so I'm not a dufus who just doesn't get it. Thank goodness. I was worried for a second.

clubman 01-09-16 08:24 PM


Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 18447366)
@nlerner - I know what you mean. Thanks. Ok, so I'm not a dufus who just doesn't get it. Thank goodness. I was worried for a second.

Agreed. You need a third hand.

It's silly that they moved the "keyhole" from the outside to the inside of the fork drops. It's much easier when the retaining flanges are on the nuts and not the cones.

BigChief 01-09-16 09:56 PM

Sometimes, it's not just a matter of spreading the forks. Sometimes the axle slots are out of alignment. I've found this condition a number of times. If you have a spare axle, rod or long bolt, lay it across the dropouts sometime and see how they line up. If it's not seriously out of alignment, a little filing can make a big difference.

Velocivixen 01-09-16 10:22 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 18447799)
Sometimes, it's not just a matter of spreading the forks. Sometimes the axle slots are out of alignment. I've found this condition a number of times. If you have a spare axle, rod or long bolt, lay it across the dropouts sometime and see how they line up. If it's not seriously out of alignment, a little filing can make a big difference.

Great tip. Thank you! I'm getting my $25 Raleigh Sport ready to sell. I just have to reattach the rear fender & replace 1 spoke that I accidentally broke. I've completely overhauled everything - both wheel hubs, headset, bottom bracket, etc. It's a very large size. My cute little 19" fits me great,

Sixty Fiver 01-10-16 07:25 AM


Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 18446804)
A few from the Portland Craigslist:

This one has been on and off for several months now. It's a Raleigh Superbe in good shape, but the asking price is $600, which means this thing is going to be on and off CL for a good long time:
Vintage Raleigh Superb Excellent Condition
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=497460

And apparently from the same seller, a Sports all modernized with alloy 700C wheels, Dynohub, and all that. Looks nicely done, but at $800 I feel I'm going to also be seeing this one for awhile:
Raleigh Sports Custom 3 Speed
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=497461

Gotta love PDX prices...

arex 01-10-16 09:10 AM


Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 18448161)
Gotta love PDX prices...

I don't think that gold one is a Raleigh Sports.

gster 01-10-16 09:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 18448161)
Gotta love PDX prices...

Totally over priced in today's market. Average prices here in Toronto would be $250-$350 for clean, complete Superbes. An extremely "mint" one sold last year for close to $500. In fact, there's a very nice
example currently on Kijiji here with an asking price of $350.00(CDN).
1974 vintage Raleigh superbe army green with headlight | other | City of Toronto | Kijiji
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=497594
The owner is a friend of mine and he bought it at the Toronto Vintage Bicycle Show last summer. He lives in a second floor apt. and finds it too heavy to carry up and down the stairs......
And the one below is $280 OBO.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=497595

nlerner 01-10-16 10:15 AM

This Superbe has been on Boston's CL for several weeks now:

L@@K! 1969 Men's Raleigh Supurbe

Not a bad price for a 23" frame as it looks quite complete.

nlerner 01-10-16 10:19 AM


Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 18439341)
The Glider did not come with Raleigh's thimble crown... this was the same as other Raleigh sub brands that were otherwise identical save for paint and decals.

Here's the second example of a Raleigh Sports "Glider" I've seen in the Boston area. I had a lady's frame with similar markings:

Classic Raleigh 3 speed bike Spring Cleaning

The only "Glider" part is the lone decal on the downtube. I wonder if these originated in the Canadian market.

gster 01-10-16 10:53 AM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 18448468)
Here's the second example of a Raleigh Sports "Glider" I've seen in the Boston area. I had a lady's frame with similar markings:

Classic Raleigh 3 speed bike Spring Cleaning

The only "Glider" part is the lone decal on the downtube. I wonder if these originated in the Canadian market.

That's an unusual hybrid. I've ever seen a dual branded Glider/Raleigh before. The Gliders were a Raleigh built store brand for Eatons
chain.

dweenk 01-10-16 12:16 PM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 18448468)
Here's the second example of a Raleigh Sports "Glider" I've seen in the Boston area. I had a lady's frame with similar markings:

Classic Raleigh 3 speed bike Spring Cleaning

The only "Glider" part is the lone decal on the downtube. I wonder if these originated in the Canadian market.

The asking price is reasonable - I doubt it will last long.

adventurepdx 01-10-16 12:17 PM


Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 18448161)
Gotta love PDX prices...

Oh Keith, you are just jealous! You had so many opportunities over the years to drive down a truck load of decent bikes from Edmonton and sell them at Portland prices! ;)

adventurepdx 01-10-16 12:27 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 18448412)
Totally over priced in today's market. Average prices here in Toronto would be $250-$350 for clean, complete Superbes. An extremely "mint" one sold last year for close to $500.

To be fair to the seller I mentioned above, it looks like they did a lot of work on the gold Sports: built new wheels, dynamo lighting setup, cotterless crankset, etc. And they also outfitted it with nice accessories like VO fenders and a Brooks saddle. (How many CL ads have we seen with a photo of a bike with a Brooks saddle on it, only to see "Brooks saddle not included" in the descrip? I've seen a lot.)

The seller has already done a lot of the work that folks like me would have done to an old three speed, though I would quibble with some of the choices, like 700C wheels and cotterless crankset.

Now is it worth $800? To the seller, yes, probably when they get the calculator out and factor in time, labor, and parts. But still, I doubt that anyone is going to pay that price. And people like me who appreciate this kind of stuff (and who is the "target market" for a bike like this) would be "but I don't like the 700C wheels and cotterless crankset."

So we shall see. If the Superbe is any indication (and note the seller spells it as "Superb"), this thing will sit on CL for a good long time, and the price isn't going to move.

noglider 01-10-16 12:27 PM

@Velocivixen and @nlerner, I face the bike from the front and point my palms out. Palms go into the fork and thumbs hold the wheel by the spokes. Push the spokes in and the fork blades out as I ease the wheel up (if the bike is in a stand) or ease the fork down from the air (if the wheel is on the ground).

adventurepdx 01-10-16 12:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
And yes, Portland can be an "overinflated bike price" town. But there are good deals to be found, even on CL. I got my Raleigh Wayfarer for only $30, and see above mention by @Velocivixen of her $25 Raleigh Sports. They are out there. I also remember a nice looking Superbe selling for $200 a few months ago.

Currently there are a few reasonably priced three speeds on there:

This ladies Raleigh Sports has been sitting for awhile. Sort of surprised since the price is only $135, but the "creepy hallway" photos don't exactly sell the bike.
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/5385063901.html
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=497608

A decent Sports for $200.
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/5387439249.html
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=497609

This Huffy Sportsman has been up for a bit too. Not the best shape, but for $120 not a bad deal.
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/5353377800.html
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=497610

adventurepdx 01-10-16 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And on a final Portland CL note, I saw this nice Rudge. A bit high at $400, but in really good shape.https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/bik/5395759785.html
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=497628

noglider 01-10-16 01:01 PM

Oh, that Rudge! My favorite!

Velocivixen 01-10-16 01:05 PM

Here is the newly powdercoated 1971 Raleigh Twenty with new vinyl decals from VeloCals (thanks Santa!). Very easy to install, and they include detailed application instructions. I used the "wet" method. Of course, nothing is like the originals, but I'm happy and the bike is no longer having an "identity crisis". :thumb:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1586/...d4e4f53e_z.jpgRaleigh Twenty Vinyl Decal by velocivixen, on Flickr

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1546/...32d49d5d_z.jpgRaleigh Twenty New Decals by velocivixen, on Flickr

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1719/...a27a2dca_z.jpgR20 Seat Tube Vinyl Decals by velocivixen, on Flickr




https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1675/...9a13b2bd_z.jpgRaleigh Twenty by velocivixen, on Flickr



https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1616/...906d5915_z.jpgR20 New Decals by velocivixen, on Flickr


They also sell a couple of different decals which are meant to have liquid paint clearcoat over the top - one is slightly thicker & the other is extremely thin.

Only regret is that I forgot to have @gugie add fork fender eyelets. I had to buy these ugly extensions from VO that extend from the axle so the fender stays would have a place to mount. Would like to find a R20 fork (with thimbles) that I could have eyelets brazed/welded on then have that fork powder coated. I'd make sure to remove the thimbles BEFORE powdercoat.

3speedslow 01-10-16 01:15 PM

That is a nice looking Twenty!

gster 01-10-16 01:56 PM


Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 18448806)
Here is the newly powdercoated 1971 Raleigh Twenty with new vinyl decals from VeloCals (thanks Santa!). Very easy to install, and they include detailed application instructions. I used the "wet" method. Of course, nothing is like the originals, but I'm happy and the bike is no longer having an "identity crisis". :thumb:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1586/...d4e4f53e_z.jpgRaleigh Twenty Vinyl Decal by velocivixen, on Flickr

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1546/...32d49d5d_z.jpgRaleigh Twenty New Decals by velocivixen, on Flickr

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1719/...a27a2dca_z.jpgR20 Seat Tube Vinyl Decals by velocivixen, on Flickr


They also sell a couple of different decals which are meant to have liquid paint clearcoat over the top - one is slightly thicker & the other is extremely thin.

Only regret is that I forgot to have @gugie add fork fender eyelets. I had to buy these ugly extensions from VO that extend from the axle so the fender stays would have a place to mount. Would like to find a R20 fork (with thimbles) that I could have eyelets brazed/welded on then have that fork powder coated. I'd make sure to remove the thimbles BEFORE powdercoat.

That's quality work

Velocivixen 01-10-16 02:35 PM

Thanks! Have to wait 24 hrs. before riding & such.

gster 01-10-16 02:48 PM


Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 18448727)
To be fair to the seller I mentioned above, it looks like they did a lot of work on the gold Sports: built new wheels, dynamo lighting setup, cotterless crankset, etc. And they also outfitted it with nice accessories like VO fenders and a Brooks saddle. (How many CL ads have we seen with a photo of a bike with a Brooks saddle on it, only to see "Brooks saddle not included" in the descrip? I've seen a lot.)

The seller has already done a lot of the work that folks like me would have done to an old three speed, though I would quibble with some of the choices, like 700C wheels and cotterless crankset.

Now is it worth $800? To the seller, yes, probably when they get the calculator out and factor in time, labor, and parts. But still, I doubt that anyone is going to pay that price. And people like me who appreciate this kind of stuff (and who is the "target market" for a bike like this) would be "but I don't like the 700C wheels and cotterless crankset."

So we shall see. If the Superbe is any indication (and note the seller spells it as "Superb"), this thing will sit on CL for a good long time, and the price isn't going to move.

This is the reason that I don't think it's worth spending any money on these bikes unless:
A)-You're going to keep it and ride it or
B)-the bike was free, or almost free.
Even if you sell it for the sum of the original price plus the new tires/parts etc you'll be lucky to break even and then there's the labour that you'll never recoup.
The only guy at the Toronto Vintage Bike Show who makes any (real) money drives in from Peterborough with 15-20 bikes that he's bought in the country at garage sales and such.
He only buys complete bikes in very good to excellent condition and prices them accordingly ($150-$350) I don't know what he pays for them but it's not much. He usually sells everything he's brought
with him and may even buy a couple to take back.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:50 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.