Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

SirMike1983 10-02-16 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by smontanaro (Post 19095750)
Thanks for the feedback on the Col de la Vie's. I picked up a pair yesterday my LBS I ordered for me.

@SirMike1983 can you post a link to your blog?

It is:

The Bike Shed

SirMike1983 10-02-16 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 19095774)
I have the burgandy version and added the throttle shifters..

That's a keeper. From what I can tell the bronze green is the more common color, especially in the tall frame model. The burgundy seems much more uncommon.

BigChief 10-02-16 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 19096260)
That's a keeper. From what I can tell the bronze green is the more common color, especially in the tall frame model. The burgundy seems much more uncommon.

Glad to see a 23" burgundy. On the 1969 catalog they list it in 21" only and a choice of 21 or 23 in bronze green. Another bike on my wish list.

gster 10-02-16 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 19096117)
Enjoyable hobby. BTW, if that's all you've got you need more.

Those are just the green bikes....

JaccoW 10-03-16 03:55 AM

Still tinkering on my Gazelle 'Grand Tourist'. :)
http://i.imgur.com/Mtg2zYeh.jpg
Finally have some proper tension on the hub itself and replaced the tires with a pair of 28-622 Schwalbe Delta Cruisers.

Then I came across this:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/9/8252/8...0264e91d_b.jpg
PICT0004 by CraigWales, on Flickr
An SA hub with a derailleur to extend the range in those tricky situations!

Apparently the simple version is putting two dished sprockets side-to-side with a hanger derailleur, but apparently you can also do it using the older threaded drivers (up to 4 additional sprockets) or a Dacon hub-derailleur converter.

Since those last few options are pretty difficult without old (and rare) parts I'll settle for the next best thing;
a 19T(?) x 28T (!) rear sprocket.
http://i.imgur.com/cJmoeYq.png

I know it is becoming a bit of a Frankenbike but I'm having fun taking it all apart and making it work. :D

Some more info for those interested here:
- Sheldon Brown - Hybrid gears
- Lovely Bicycle - Hybrid gearing in the wild, 6-speed
- Classiclightweights - Hybrid HD
- CyclingUK - How-to from cdtb

bazil4696 10-03-16 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 19095774)
I have the burgandy version and added the throttle shifters..

MMMM love dat sprite!

BigChief 10-03-16 10:41 PM

Been scanning eBay for chain adjusters for my DL-1 and ran across a long ESGE stand for 28". Both of mine are 70s and came with them, but if I had an older model with one of the tippy Sir Walter stands, I'd be wanting one of these and they are rare. Thought I'd pass it along just in case.
Esge Pletscher Alloy Kickstand Raleigh DL 1 Roadster 28" Free Shipping USA | eBay

gster 10-04-16 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 19100312)
Been scanning eBay for chain adjusters for my DL-1 and ran across a long ESGE stand for 28". Both of mine are 70s and came with them, but if I had an older model with one of the tippy Sir Walter stands, I'd be wanting one of these and they are rare. Thought I'd pass it along just in case.
Esge Pletscher Alloy Kickstand Raleigh DL 1 Roadster 28" Free Shipping USA | eBay

I thought the rear rod brake linkage would interfere with this type of stand.

Stadjer 10-04-16 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 19100433)
I thought the rear rod brake linkage would interfere with this type of stand.

If it's center mounted it probably will, not that it doesn't fit, but you'll probably have to be precise and the right kind of shoes will help. It's gentleman's bike anyway, but I find it very hard to kick the stand out with my sneakers without giving the rod a kick. I don't have a Raleigh, but on my Gazelle a standard 5 euro kick stand won't fit on the plate, that is shaped differently than on most bikes, probably because of the rod.

BigChief 10-04-16 06:39 AM

There's clearance for the linkage. These came as standard equipment on 70s DL-1s. Both of mine have them. Not sure what year Raleigh changed from the cast alloy Sir Walter stands of the 60s to the ESGEs, but it was a good move. These are much more stable.

BigChief 10-04-16 08:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's close, but I'd say there's 1/8" clearance over the plate and about the same from the block on the side.
Attachment 539265

thumpism 10-04-16 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by JaccoW (Post 19097768)

Then I came across this:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/9/8252/8...0264e91d_b.jpg
PICT0004 by CraigWales, on Flickr
An SA hub with a derailleur to extend the range in those tricky situations!

Apparently the simple version is putting two dished sprockets side-to-side with a hanger derailleur, but apparently you can also do it using the older threaded drivers (up to 4 additional sprockets) or a Dacon hub-derailleur converter.

When I was repping, one of my customers was Cycles & Sports on Wisconsin Avenue in D.C. The owner had passed but his widow showed me a bike he'd built using an SA 3-rear hub with a threaded driver and a 5- or 6-speed freewheel and a rear derailleur. On the front he'd built a quad chainring setup using T/A components. That's a lot of gears. Quite a rig, built simply for the hell of it.

JaccoW 10-04-16 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 19101209)
When I was repping, one of my customers was Cycles & Sports on Wisconsin Avenue in D.C. The owner had passed but his widow showed me a bike he'd built using an SA 3-rear hub with a threaded driver and a 5- or 6-speed freewheel and a rear derailleur. On the front he'd built a quad chainring setup using T/A components. That's a lot of gears. Quite a rig, built simply for the hell of it.

Quite a rig indeed. I would love to see a picture of something like that.

But that is sort of my motivation as well. Seeing how the tech works and if it can work.
Having a lowlands tourer at the end is sort of the fun of it too. :p

Just popped the rear derailleur and the hanger from an old bike and will let it soak in thinner to get rid of all the old grease and muck before putting it on my other bike.

gster 10-04-16 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 19100782)
It's close, but I'd say there's 1/8" clearance over the plate and about the same from the block on the side.
Attachment 539265

Good to know.

Loose Chain 10-04-16 06:57 PM

Just picked up a 22 inch Hercules. It has a Hercules hub. This frame is not Raleigh built. It is in decent shape, can actually ride it but it needs heavy TLC. I have no idea the year of it. I kind of like it but not sure what to think of it yet. Also got a 19 inch frame drop frame Raleigh made in Taiwan, cute.

Both front and rear hubs have oil ports and there seems to be a grease port on the BB. A chrome cap on the fork and high mounted hub pulley.

LC

BigChief 10-04-16 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Loose Chain (Post 19102228)
Just picked up a 22 inch Hercules. It has a Hercules hub. This frame is not Raleigh built. It is in decent shape, can actually ride it but it needs heavy TLC. I have no idea the year of it. I kind of like it but not sure what to think of it yet. Also got a 19 inch frame drop frame Raleigh made in Taiwan, cute.

Both front and rear hubs have oil ports and there seems to be a grease port on the BB. A chrome cap on the fork and high mounted hub pulley.

LC

From what I've read, 1959 or 60 was the last of the Birmingham built Hercs. I haven't had the chance to work on a Herc hub, but I do have another "under license" hub made by Brampton. The parts are interchangeable with SA, so I'm pretty sure you could swap the threaded driver with a circlip type if you wanted to change cogs. Pics...we wants pics!

Loose Chain 10-04-16 08:21 PM

Thanks, I will get some pics soon. I date to around 55 to 59. it is Birmingham built, Tourist model.

Unrelated, but what is the proper down angle of the North Road bars? Level to earth or what?

LC

gster 10-05-16 05:00 AM

Pricey Tourist

6 Attachment(s)
This showed up today on Kijiji, Toronto. Seller is asking $800.00.

bazil4696 10-05-16 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 19102743)
This showed up today on Kijiji, Toronto. Seller is asking $800.00.

how reasonable....800 huh?
A quick scan of what everybody else is asking will tell him maybee NOT!

BigChief 10-05-16 02:03 PM

I've seen some silly asking prices for roadsters too. With such a tall frame, you would think they would be a harder sell than a Sports.

noglider 10-05-16 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Loose Chain (Post 19102356)
Unrelated, but what is the proper down angle of the North Road bars? Level to earth or what?

LC

It's most common to have the ends tipped down slightly, but "proper" is too strong a word. It is how I like them, but it is up to you. I find it is comfortable for my wrists in the common position.

Stadjer 10-06-16 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by bazil4696 (Post 19103619)
how reasonable....800 huh?

It's probably the bike that Brigitte Bardot rode naked in the deleted scenes from 'Et dieu crea la femme', that has been sought after for decades.

bazil4696 10-06-16 02:32 PM

A pair of my Superbes

1 Attachment(s)
'71 & '73 Raleighs all kleened and polished for the upcoming thanksgiving weekend here in Canada.
It was so beautiful outside today, I had to ride at lunch, and talked two guys from work to join me.

bazil4696 10-06-16 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 19085300)
I had the Delta Cruiser tires on my 3-speed, and they felt like rocks to me. I switched to cheap Kenda tires and was happier. Your kilometerage may vary.

well.. I switchd the rims on my '73 to the original endricks with kenda rubber. I must say, I am happier with them than i was when I hung 'em on the flipper bike...not sure why though... maybe the whole CCM bike just sucked, and I blamed the Kendas!

erileykc 10-07-16 02:28 PM

Wow , I don't think any of my bikes have been that clean and bright even when they were brand new. Exquisite!

Originally Posted by JaccoW (Post 19097768)
Still tinkering on my Gazelle 'Grand Tourist'. :)

Then I came across this: