Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

Stadjer 10-28-16 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by browngw (Post 19153630)
While enjoying a brew at our local pub last Thursday,an older friend came in, sat down and asked me if I owned a three speed. Seemed like an odd question seeing he had seen me riding my DL1 the week before. He reached in his pocket and pulled out a shiny new shifter and cable end and offered it to me. He recalled picking it up in the late eighties early nineties in Arizona at a bike shop and never ended up putting it on a bike. It says "made in england" but I dont recall that faceplate design. Any ideas on year?

Pretty sure that's late 70's, but I've really no idea when it went out of production. It wouldn't surprise me if this design lasted well into the 90's, because I can only remember one more modern design, and that's from the 00's.

agmetal 10-28-16 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 19153349)
It would be a worthy project and custom, hand made parts are badass! You can buy small amounts of the brass stock you would need at industrial suppliers like McMaster-Carr. If you build it, post some pics. I'd love to see the project come along.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna give it a shot. The shifter(s) on eBay got bid up beyond what I'm prepared to pay at the moment. I've also found a NOS lever for a quadrant shifter, so I should only need to make the housing for it

thumpism 10-28-16 04:11 PM

Here's a cutie:

small 1970 - Raleigh Space Rider girls 3 speed w/ 24" wheels

small 1970 - Raleigh Space Rider girls 3 speed w/ 24" wheels - $150 (Alexandria)

https://images.craigslist.org/00f0f_...bK_600x450.jpg
condition: excellent
make / manufacturer: Raleigh
model name / number: Space Rider
size / dimensions: 24"wheel for 4'6'' rider

rare 1970 made in Nottingham England girls 24 inch Raleigh Space Rider - small 40cm lugged step through frame - Sturmey Archer 3 speed with coaster brake 24 inch wheels - like new tires - new chain - front hand brake - Brooks mattress saddle - paint is a little rough but chrome is nice - ready to ride vintage British Three speed for riders around 4'6''

BigChief 10-28-16 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by agmetal (Post 19154520)
Yeah, I think I'm gonna give it a shot. The shifter(s) on eBay got bid up beyond what I'm prepared to pay at the moment. I've also found a NOS lever for a quadrant shifter, so I should only need to make the housing for it

The lever is, by far, the most time consuming piece to build. Does the NOS lever have the spring already attached? If it does, you're 80% there. I think this shifter will look really nice with a new brass case.
edit: Just thinking...the case doesn't have to be a quadrant. You could make it from anything. The image of a round shifter made from an old silver half dollar popped into my mind. Nobody else in town would have a TT shifter with a profile of Ben Franklin...nobody!

agmetal 10-28-16 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 19154823)
The lever is, by far, the most time consuming piece to build. Does the NOS lever have the spring already attached? If it does, you're 80% there. I think this shifter will look really nice with a new brass case.
edit: Just thinking...the case doesn't have to be a quadrant. You could make it from anything. The image of a round shifter made from an old silver half dollar popped into my mind. Nobody else in town would have a TT shifter with a profile of Ben Franklin...nobody!

I agree, it would look awesome! Dunno about the coin, though. I don't think the lever has the spring, or the cable hook - just the lever itself. I'll check with the guy who has it, though. I'm thinking of making it compatible with a standard derailleur cable, as well.

markk900 10-29-16 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Stadjer (Post 19153808)
Pretty sure that's late 70's, but I've really no idea when it went out of production. It wouldn't surprise me if this design lasted well into the 90's, because I can only remember one more modern design, and that's from the 00's.

If you take the black cover off (or it breaks off) the shifter looks identical to the ones with the clear plastic cover. Just the black plastic on the lever to give things away!

BigChief 10-29-16 11:16 AM

Took a chance and caught in the rain on my fenderless roadster today. First time I could have used fenders. Might get to that someday. Got totally soaked. What's a little extra mud.

BigChief 10-29-16 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 19153663)
The MKS Sylvan Touring is a copy of the Lyotard 460 which is available in British thread and looks more the part. The Lyotard has better bearings and weighs a little less, unless you opt for the chrome version instead of the alloy version. The Lyotard 460 was designed before the war and was in production into the late 70s or early 80s. Its my favorite pedal.

I didn't know that. I have preferred steel to rubber block pedals for a long time, even on 3 speeds. I tried these MKS pedals a few years ago and found them to be perfect for me. Figures that they're copies of a classic design.

thumpism 10-29-16 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 19153663)
The MKS Sylvan Touring is a copy of the Lyotard 460...

I'd be more inclined to say the MKS is the successor to the Lyotard 460 rather than a copy of it. Check the photos below and see if you can distinguish significant differences. Having used both, I'll take the MKS.

Lyotard.
http://velobase.com/CompImages/Pedal...124ADBEFF.jpeg

MKS
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5245/...95fb64b433.jpg

gster 10-30-16 06:17 PM

Irish 3 Speed Site

The 'Auld' Bike
Movie props and sales.

Salubrious 10-31-16 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 19156311)
I'd be more inclined to say the MKS is the successor to the Lyotard 460 rather than a copy of it. Check the photos below and see if you can distinguish significant differences. Having used both, I'll take the MKS.

I've got both- I use the MKS when I can't find a set of Lyotards for a project. But a lot depends on what that project is- if there is intention to be period, then the Lyotard of course, but I find that in direct comparison the Lyotard is lighter and the bearings are far freer so I often install them on newer builds. The MKS has seals and like most vintage pedals the Lyotards don't, but OTOH I've had the same Lyotards on one of my bikes going back to the mid 1970s and the bearings are still really good. So I've tended to discount that as an advantage although there are probably circumstances where it is.

browngw 10-31-16 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
"Sir Wayes A. Tonne" the 1979 Raleigh Roadster will spend the upcoming Canadian winter in the garage with our 1980 TR7. One is the "Shape of Things to Come" the other is the shape of things past!

DQRider 10-31-16 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by browngw (Post 19160233)
"Sir Wayes A. Tonne" the 1979 Raleigh Roadster will spend the upcoming Canadian winter in the garage with our 1980 TR7. One is the "Shape of Things to Come" the other is the shape of things past!

And they're both British Roadsters! Excellent... :thumb:

Dsprok 11-01-16 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 18413906)
More Junk
This one has become my main everyday bike. The saddle bags are very handy for visits to the grocery or beer store. The mattress saddle was badly split so it's been replaced with an old Wright's composite saddle. The paint is rough on this one so it's a good working bike.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=495012http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=495013
I'm not sure what bike these bars and stem came from originally. I bought them from George at Parts Unknown, but I quite like them.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=495014

Nice bike rack on that Raleigh Sport.

Dsprok 11-01-16 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Marty1 (Post 19040901)
Hwith a pic of my recently restored Raleigh 3 speed Sturmey Archer FROM 1974,
https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8179/2...aaa2e410_h.jpg

That's nice. I had a similar one in the late 60's. the hole on the back of the saddle had a large red reflector.

dweenk 11-01-16 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got this Raleigh Sports camelback a while ago. I have cleaned it up some, treated the fenders and chain guard with OA and clear coated them. The bottom bracket and headset bearings were cleaned and lubricated, the rear wheel cleaned up fairly well, but the front wheel may be beyond hope.

It is too small for me and doesn't appeal my wife or son, so I think it will become a rafter hanger (think "top shelf" for Andy's broken toys in "Toy Story"). Sometimes the rafter hangers do get a second chance - I'll have to see.

boattail71 11-01-16 05:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by markk900 (Post 19155283)
If you take the black cover off (or it breaks off) the shifter looks identical to the ones with the clear plastic cover. Just the black plastic on the lever to give things away!

Confused. The black shifter is modern and without its black cover, I don't see how it would look like the one with the clear plastic cover. Or, is there another clear plastic covered shifter that I'm not aware of?

markk900 11-01-16 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by boattail71 (Post 19162955)
Confused. The black shifter is modern and without its black cover, I don't see how it would look like the one with the clear plastic cover. Or, is there another clear plastic covered shifter that I'm not aware of?

If you take the black cover off the one on the left, and the clear cover off on the right, the shifters are identical (the black one has a cover on the trigger too, which can be removed).

That black cover is held by the Phillips screw - underneath is the same shifter body.

boattail71 11-01-16 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by markk900 (Post 19163053)
If you take the black cover off the one on the left, and the clear cover off on the right, the shifters are identical (the black one has a cover on the trigger too, which can be removed).

That black cover is held by the Phillips screw - underneath is the same shifter body.

I guess I misunderstood. They won't "look" identical obviously. That's what got me confused by your original statement as you meant "mechanically" they are the same. Unless you're saying that the graphics under the black decal are the same as the older model on the right (clear cover). That would be amazing if it were true.

thumpism 11-01-16 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I went by the co-op this evening to look for some parts to convert my Cimarron to drops and decided to ask about a frame I'd seen there before, a men's 23" brown Raleigh Sports. I already have a complete bike just like it, although this one is less beat than mine, but I was curious. Frameset with stem and BB and chainguard. It did have a rear fender but that seems to be gone now. $25, the guy told me. I'm not seriously tempted but one of you folks might be.

Attachment 541906

gster 11-02-16 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dsprok (Post 19161762)
Nice bike rack on that Raleigh Sport.

This one's a Hercules (1970).

3speedslow 11-02-16 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 19163303)
I went by the co-op this evening to look for some parts to convert my Cimarron to drops and decided to ask about a frame I'd seen there before, a men's 23" brown Raleigh Sports. I already have a complete bike just like it, although this one is less beat than mine, but I was curious. Frameset with stem and BB and chainguard. It did have a rear fender but that seems to be gone now. $25, the guy told me. I'm not seriously tempted but one of you folks might be.

Attachment 541906

Wow, that is so tempting ! Wonder what shipping would be to NC ?

I could easily switch the parts from my 21" Sport to this. Did you get an idea of the yr ?

BigChief 11-02-16 05:50 PM

That down tube Sports transfer dates it 1969-1972.

Dsprok 11-02-16 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by 9volt (Post 19080457)
Evans is from Michigan but it's an English made bike, presumably rebranded by Evans. It has 'Made in England' all over it. Haven't been able to figure out who built it though.

Re. the Evans, I see SA stamped into the pulley clamp & Brampton on the BB lockring.
Nice pictures.

thumpism 11-02-16 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by 3speedslow (Post 19165292)
Wow, that is so tempting ! Wonder what shipping would be to NC ?

I could easily switch the parts from my 21" Sport to this. Did you get an idea of the yr ?

Looks like my '74, but not certain. Shipping might be cheapish for a frameset.