Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

johnnyspaghetti 11-01-17 10:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This 23" Sports looking 70'-72'ish looking very clean & not the common black or green seems refreshing. It's only 100 miles away over in Wisconsin. This looks very considerably nice. Same guy has a green Sports ladies frame as nice both bikes have original "Raleigh NTL" double thin stripe ww tires.
https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/bik...363596068.html
Mens Vintage Raleigh Sport Bike - $89 (Cumberland)



Attachment 587035

bazil4696 11-02-17 08:21 AM

Raleigh/Supercycle crank
 
2 Attachment(s)
With all the discussion about our beloved gold bikes, (I have 2 small framed mens Supercycles) it reminded me of the one Raleigh built Supercycle (sold by Canadian Tire stores in Canada) I have with an oddball crank that does not look like the standard non herring crank that were installed on off brands, but more of the ten speed variety. No standard chainguard, but the crank mounted pants saver looks unique to 3 speeds.
It looks original.
Date code is 70's something, I cant remember, and I'm at work, so I cant check.
Is this common?
would the standard early chain tooth sprockets from five speeds have the same chain pitch as English 3 speeds?
Too lazy to go back and spin the attachment. Sorry.

Ballenxj 11-02-17 08:44 AM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 19967241)
This 23" Sports looking 70'-72'ish looking very clean & not the common black or green seems refreshing. It's only 100 miles away over in Wisconsin. This looks very considerably nice. Same guy has a green Sports ladies frame as nice both bikes have original "Raleigh NTL" double thin stripe ww tires.
https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/bik...363596068.html
Mens Vintage Raleigh Sport Bike - $89 (Cumberland)

Is there a road trip in your future? That one looks very good. :thumb:

browngw 11-02-17 11:38 AM

Golden Glow Express
 
6 Attachment(s)
The '72 Raleigh built Supercycle "Scorcher" has been successfully launched. Dubbed "Golden Glow Express" after a well known beverage from one of the older establishments near the beach in our little town of Port Dover. Front wheel is a little bent and some cables to trim but a good rider nonetheless. Lots of projects to work on this winter including another recent DL-1.

johnnyspaghetti 11-02-17 11:38 AM


Originally Posted by Ballenxj (Post 19967786)
Is there a road trip in your future? That one looks very good. :thumb:


I think so I left a message. Phone number contact was provided.
I'm thinking the ladies bike as well.
The ladies bike still has the pump & may be cleaner.
https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/bik...363592060.html
I know photos can be forgiving but these bikes look close to like new. The photos are crappy
Its killing me, i'll see if things can work out.
I want a blue one.

Ballenxj 11-02-17 12:36 PM

Good looking scorcher browngw. :thumb: So many nice bikes and posts that a like button would be handy. Hard to acknowledge everybody otherwise.

Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 19968178)
I think so I left a message. Phone number contact was provided.
I'm thinking the ladies bike as well.
The ladies bike still has the pump & may be cleaner.
https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/bik...363592060.html
I know photos can be forgiving but these bikes look close to like new. The photos are crappy
Its killing me, i'll see if things can work out.
I want a blue one.

I like the Blue one too. Keeping fingers crossed for you that they are everything they look like in the pics. :)

johnnyspaghetti 11-02-17 12:48 PM


Originally Posted by Ballenxj (Post 19968312)
Good looking scorcher browngw. :thumb: So many nice bikes and posts that a like button would be handy. Hard to acknowledge everybody otherwise.

I like the Blue one too. Keeping fingers crossed for you that they are everything they look like in the pics. :)

I will ask for better photos

bazil4696 11-02-17 01:10 PM


Originally Posted by browngw (Post 19968177)
The '72 Raleigh built Supercycle "Scorcher" has been successfully launched. Dubbed "Golden Glow Express" after a well known beverage from one of the older establishments near the beach in our little town of Port Dover. Front wheel is a little bent and some cables to trim but a good rider nonetheless. Lots of projects to work on this winter including another recent DL-1.

I'll have to try this "Golden Glow Express" you speak of, as I'm currently seeing a young lady living near Peacock Point.

Having matching golden Supercycles should confuse the neighbours when I visit, and ride along that pretty north shore totowards Dover to sample some Erie Beach Perch and celery bread.

thumpism 11-02-17 01:40 PM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 19968340)
I will ask for better photos

Man, a pair of 23" 3-speeds, men's and women's. That's unusual. I have a set and think that everyone else should, too, especially for those prices. Hope you get them.

browngw 11-02-17 02:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by bazil4696 (Post 19968387)
I'll have to try this "Golden Glow Express" you speak of, as I'm currently seeing a young lady living near Peacock Point.

Having matching golden Supercycles should confuse the neighbours when I visit, and ride along that pretty north shore totowards Dover to sample some Erie Beach Perch and celery bread.


A good plan for sure @bazil4696 , but you will have to wait for spring when the "Arbor" reopens and serves "Golden Glow". Of course, you are always welcome to stop by "One Browns Lane" anytime to chat about bike projects!


It was our CVBS guy Jamie Macgregor who suggested the name "Golden Glow Express".

johnnyspaghetti 11-02-17 06:43 PM

https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/bik...363596068.html
https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/bik...363592060.html
I went ahead & committed to buy them. He is 81 yrs old & bought them new. He says in 1975 I think the bikes are earlier models.
I don't know what year they changed the Heron sprocket w/less bracing. 73' 74'? I see the 75' has the newer style Heron crank sprocket.
They have been in storage for the last fifteen years. He said the ladies bike has hardly ever been ridden. He rode the blue one more. He can stow them in Cumberland Wisconsin for me as long as til Jan. 1st when they go to FLA. for winter. I will get them as soon as possible. I didn't haggle. $178 American for both. He is sending me better pics.

The Badge site decal guide dates them 1969 to 1972

Ballenxj 11-02-17 07:42 PM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 19969004)
https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/bik...363596068.html
https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/bik...363592060.html
I went ahead & committed to buy them. He is 81 yrs old & bought them new. He says in 1975 I think the bikes are earlier models.
I don't know what year they changed the Heron sprocket w/less bracing. 73' 74'? I see the 75' has the newer style Heron crank sprocket.
They have been in storage for the last fifteen years. He said the ladies bike has hardly ever been ridden. He rode the blue one more. He can stow them in Cumberland Wisconsin for me as long as til Jan. 1st when they go to FLA. for winter. I will get them as soon as possible. I didn't haggle. $178 American for both. He is sending me better pics.

The Badge site decal guide dates it 1969 to 1972

I'm excited for you! What a bargain. About the dates, those bikes might have been hold over's from previous years.

campngolf 11-02-17 09:14 PM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 19969004)
https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/bik...363596068.html
https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/bik...363592060.html
I went ahead & committed to buy them. He is 81 yrs old & bought them new. He says in 1975 I think the bikes are earlier models.
I don't know what year they changed the Heron sprocket w/less bracing. 73' 74'? I see the 75' has the newer style Heron crank sprocket.
They have been in storage for the last fifteen years. He said the ladies bike has hardly ever been ridden. He rode the blue one more. He can stow them in Cumberland Wisconsin for me as long as til Jan. 1st when they go to FLA. for winter. I will get them as soon as possible. I didn't haggle. $178 American for both. He is sending me better pics.

The Badge site decal guide dates it 1969 to 1972

Looks like a great score. Two classics from the original owner will be a nice addition to the stable. Wish I could find such a treasure.

gster 11-03-17 07:00 AM


Originally Posted by browngw (Post 19968177)
The '72 Raleigh built Supercycle "Scorcher" has been successfully launched. Dubbed "Golden Glow Express" after a well known beverage from one of the older establishments near the beach in our little town of Port Dover. Front wheel is a little bent and some cables to trim but a good rider nonetheless. Lots of projects to work on this winter including another recent DL-1.

Very attractive bike. I like the vintage lantern attached.

johnnyspaghetti 11-03-17 10:25 AM


Originally Posted by campngolf (Post 19969240)
Looks like a great score. Two classics from the original owner will be a nice addition to the stable. Wish I could find such a treasure.

I need to sell a couple off the collection. With a 100year life expectancy these bikes have 800 years half life left.
With any luck this fella may still have some documentation on these Raleighs. I hoping to go another 20yr.

Salubrious 11-03-17 12:39 PM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 19969004)
I don't know what year they changed the Heron sprocket w/less bracing. 73' 74'? I see the 75' has the newer style Heron crank sprocket.

Raleigh was shipping both 9-point and 6-point cranks in 1972. So that seems to be the transition year for that part, but I'm sure its not as simple as that and you will see the 9-point crank show up on later machines.

johnnyspaghetti 11-03-17 05:16 PM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 19970348)
Raleigh was shipping both 9-point and 6-point cranks in 1972. So that seems to be the transition year for that part, but I'm sure its not as simple as that and you will see the 9-point crank show up on later machines.

Decal ID per "The Badge" spells it out the fork decal Heron changed in 73 to an embossed "R" although the (lousy) pictures are a challenge I am making out the the Heron (zoomed in)on it which indicates 69' to 72'.
Also the seat tube "2030" decal appears to be the diamond shape, the 73" has a smaller rectangular "2030" decal.
My eyes are bad enough, but I don't think I'm seeing things.
The 73' is the next scroll down.
Should I question the accuracy of this The Badge site? It does look to be a legitimate site to me. I don't want to think otherwise.
It states the 9 point crank ended mid year 73'.
I'm not positively sure of anything. I'm still getting the 2 bicycles.
When I first asked the man how old they were he told me 81.
I revised the question & he revealed that 81 was his age he bought the bikes new in 1975?
This is not a memory contest & I have some faith in my fellow man.

clubman 11-03-17 06:28 PM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 19970838)
Should I question the accuracy of this The Badge site? I does look to be a legitimate site to me.
It states the 9 point crank ended mid year 73'.
I'm not positively sure of anything.

It's generally accepted that Raleigh went from 32/40 to 36/36 spoke patterns in 73 and although the pics are fuzzy, I think one bike has a 40 hole rear. You'll know more when you get them.

johnnyspaghetti 11-03-17 07:44 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 19970957)
It's generally accepted that Raleigh went from 32/40 to 36/36 spoke patterns in 73 and although the pics are fuzzy, I think one bike has a 40 hole rear. You'll know more when you get them.

Spoke count, thats a fun fact. I counted half the front wheel at 16 although there is one spoke that might be ?invisible. The nipple spacing of the rear spokes is visually closer although I lost track at 44 spokes on the rear haha. The pictures definitely suck. I would much rather have a 72' or earlier. I'm pretty sure thats what I have. I have a 71' DL22L and the decals are consistent being 69' to 72' per The Badge decal charts.

alikws 11-03-17 09:24 PM

The old [1902] scorcher was the fast reckless rider on his brakeless fixed gear who tormented the horses and other road users. The more modern [1930's] scorcher was often a hopped-up stripped down utility bike that was transportation on workdays and raced on weekends - The bicycle equal to a cafe racer. This style has appealed to me and I have built up several. My most recent project is a modified 1941 Westfield sports tourist frame, with caliper brakes, 26-590 steel rims, a 1939 AW hub, a quadrant top-tube shifter and low drop bars. I tried to keep everything in a pre-war style. Pictures to come when my post count gets high enough.

Ballenxj 11-03-17 09:26 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 19970957)
It's generally accepted that Raleigh went from 32/40 to 36/36 spoke patterns in 73 and although the pics are fuzzy, I think one bike has a 40 hole rear. You'll know more when you get them.

I counted 35 on the rear, so most likely 36?

johnnyspaghetti 11-03-17 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Recount I get is 32/40. This wheel has 32 spokes & the rear 40.

Attachment 587306

Ballenxj 11-03-17 10:12 PM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 19971332)
Recount I get is 32/40.

You do realize when you bring it home, we want an actual count. ;)

johnnyspaghetti 11-03-17 11:14 PM


Originally Posted by Ballenxj (Post 19971338)
You do realize when you bring it home, we want an actual count. ;)

This is an actual count 32/40. You can see spoke nipple spacing is closer on the rear as well due to 8 more spokes

They sent me better pics of the DL22L. Looks like it will clean up nicely, the paint is great!https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...3&disp=safe&zwhttps://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...4&disp=safe&zwhttps://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...1&disp=safe&zw

browngw 11-04-17 08:40 AM


Originally Posted by bazil4696 (Post 19967737)
With all the discussion about our beloved gold bikes, (I have 2 small framed mens Supercycles) it reminded me of the one Raleigh built Supercycle (sold by Canadian Tire stores in Canada) I have with an oddball crank that does not look like the standard non herring crank that were installed on off brands, but more of the ten speed variety. No standard chainguard, but the crank mounted pants saver looks unique to 3 speeds.
It looks original.
Date code is 70's something, I cant remember, and I'm at work, so I cant check.
Is this common?
would the standard early chain tooth sprockets from five speeds have the same chain pitch as English 3 speeds?
Too lazy to go back and spin the attachment. Sorry.

Love that Supercycle chainguard! Have to start looking for a couple of those.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.