Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

fiatjeepdriver 08-13-14 01:47 PM

I picked up an old raleigh ltd-3 last week and am not sure how I want to fix it up. This thread has too many great ideas.

NormanF 08-13-14 05:32 PM

Ditch the steel rims and you lighten most of the weight of all-steel bicycles! With their mild carbon tubes, they will never ride as light as a road bike but they're heads and shoulders above the awful gaspipe bicycles of the day.

noglider 08-14-14 04:17 PM

I'm not gung-Ho about replacing the steel rims with alloy. Not all of us notice the difference from the weight savings. I say if your steel rims are straight, don't change them unless you need your brakes to work well when wet.

Bledfor Days 08-14-14 09:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Speaking of steel rims, another steel shod 3 steed made it 's way into my stable. It's a Raleigh RSW 16 Compact. 1966 SA AW hub date. The tires and cables were shot but everything else cleaned up almost mint. I got the rare white vinyl pannier bag with it too. I paid $150 cdn at a local vintage shop for it. The owner had it out on the sidewalk for two weeks and no takers. I'd love to find a pair of NOS Dunlop 16x2 cream tires for it. The black cheapies actually make the chrome pop. I used black cable housing to tie it in but would switch to white in a heartbeat. The Sturmey Archer twist grip shifter is super retro cool. Believe it or not, I haven't folded it yet.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=399373
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=399375
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=399376

adventurepdx 08-15-14 11:47 AM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 17037332)
I'm not gung-Ho about replacing the steel rims with alloy. Not all of us notice the difference from the weight savings. I say if your steel rims are straight, don't change them unless you need your brakes to work well when wet.

As a year-round cyclist in the Northwest, I changed the rims on my Raleigh Wayfarer specifically for braking when wet, and it definitely made a difference. I first only had a front wheel built around a new dynohub (not Dynohub), and kept the rear steel until it started breaking too many spokes. If you live in a drier climate and rarely/never ride in the rain, then it's not as big of a deal. One benefit of steel over alloy is no brake dust.

noglider 08-15-14 12:58 PM

Yes, yes, yes. I said "unless." In other words, if you're doing it for the braking, it's a huge advantage. If you're doing it to make the bike feel lighter, you might be disappointed.

markk900 08-15-14 05:03 PM

Are there any good suggestions for rim replacement (alloy or steel) for the old Raleigh rims (chrome steel with the satin section in the middle where the spokes are). I'd like to replace the rims on the Humber (because the braking surface was quite rusty and after cleaning still looks rough), but the "two tone" rim is one aspect of the character of the bike I'd prefer not to lose. BTW - rusty steel with Kool Stops work pretty well in the wet! :)

PalmettoUpstate 08-15-14 05:40 PM


Originally Posted by wahoonc (Post 16980349)
I am waiting until Monday before I call someone to go get that for me...

Aaron :)

Hey I'm just checking in to "the thread"...

Did you get that '37 Sports?

zukahn1 08-15-14 05:42 PM

Sun Ringle makes basically correct rims for these in alloy or chrome steel the cost of new rims and likely spokes and the time trouble relacing isn't really merrited unless the current ones have major issues. You won't get major improvement over the vintage rims. If you looking for a lighter more nibble ride with great brakes a vintage 3 speed isn't the way to go you may be better off looking for a different bike.

wahoonc 08-15-14 07:11 PM


Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate (Post 17040666)
Hey I'm just checking in to "the thread"...

Did you get that '37 Sports?

Nope... disappeared over the weekend. I did get a 1954 Shelby Traveler though... :D

Aaron :)

markk900 08-15-14 08:05 PM


Originally Posted by zukahn1 (Post 17040673)
Sun Ringle makes basically correct rims for these in alloy or chrome steel the cost of new rims and likely spokes and the time trouble relacing isn't really merrited unless the current ones have major issues. You won't get major improvement over the vintage rims. If you looking for a lighter more nibble ride with great brakes a vintage 3 speed isn't the way to go you may be better off looking for a different bike.

Can you point me more specifically at the rims you mean? I am not looking to simply replace the rims for lightness etc - its because the rims were/are very rusted on the braking surface and I think they could use replacement - but I wanted a source of the two-finish style like original (chrome braking surface and outer 1/3 of each side, satin steel (or alloy) in the centre 1/3 where the spoke holes are. Everything I saw on the Sun Ringle site was very modern (even the popular CR18, which is NOT what I was looking for). Is there a source of OEM? Also, I'd need 40 hole rear.

zukahn1 08-15-14 08:26 PM

I was thinking of correct Cr-18 or the retros not sure of number. As for finding a 40 rear your going to have a tough time you while likely need to score Ebay and hope. While your there you may want to look for a vintage or newer complete set may be easier than finding a 40.

JohnDThompson 08-15-14 08:34 PM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 17037332)
I'm not gung-Ho about replacing the steel rims with alloy. Not all of us notice the difference from the weight savings. I say if your steel rims are straight, don't change them unless you need your brakes to work well when wet.

That's precisely the reason I replaced them on my Superbe. I find it nice to be able to stop when I need to stop.

JohnDThompson 08-15-14 08:39 PM


Originally Posted by markk900 (Post 17040939)
Can you point me more specifically at the rims you mean? [. . .] I'd need 40 hole rear.

Here you go:

Sun CR-18 26 x 1-3/8 40-hole Polished Rim, fits EA-3/590 ISO

loubapache 08-15-14 08:40 PM

And

36 hole:
Amazon.com : Sun CR-18 26 x 1-3/8 36-hole Polished Rim, fits EA-3/590 ISO : Bike Rims : Sports & Outdoors

32 hole:
Robot Check

markk900 08-16-14 06:38 AM

Thanks folks: sorry if I was not clear - here is a picture of the current rim (looks pretty good in this shot but the braking surfaces are really bad):

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...psf4fbfd9e.jpg

The main centre section of the rim that you can see is a satin grey (almost like alloy rims), while the shoulders and braking surface are bright chrome. The Sun CR18 (and other replacement alloy or steel rims I have found) are either all satin or all chrome. Anyway, I think I am belaboring the point. If I do give up the interesting detail of the original rim I will certainly look at the CR18 polished.

Sixty Fiver 08-16-14 07:48 AM


Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 17041004)
That's precisely the reason I replaced them on my Superbe. I find it nice to be able to stop when I need to stop.

I am a huge fan of stopping.

PalmettoUpstate 08-16-14 12:07 PM


Originally Posted by wahoonc (Post 17040837)
Nope... disappeared over the weekend. I did get a 1954 Shelby Traveler though... :D

Aaron :)

NICE! Sorry you missed out on the '37 but the "consolation prize" is way cool. That first pic looks like it is conspicuously in front of an Airstream....

wahoonc 08-16-14 12:17 PM


Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate (Post 17042386)
NICE! Sorry you missed out on the '37 but the "consolation prize" is way cool. That first pic looks like it is conspicuously in front of an Airstream....

It is... I have 3 of them :o That one is the 1975 Sovereign International (31') and is parked in front of the shop waiting on me to do some welding on the rear frames, then I can start reassembling it. :P

Aaron :)

PalmettoUpstate 08-16-14 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by wahoonc (Post 17042410)
It is... I have 3 of them :o That one is the 1975 Sovereign International (31') and is parked in front of the shop waiting on me to do some welding on the rear frames, then I can start reassembling it. :P

Aaron :)

Ha, should'a known an Airstream re-builder too! No doubt you have seen this; Latourneau pulling an Airstream:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=399648

wahoonc 08-16-14 12:42 PM


Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate (Post 17042441)
Ha, should'a known an Airstream re-builder too! No doubt you have seen this; Latourneau pulling an Airstream:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=399648

I have... interestingly enough it was just the shell. There is a modern day reincarnation of that photo somewhere, it was done at one of the national rallies a few years back. And IIRC Red was on a Schwinn with a Sturmey hub. ;)

Aaron :)

JohnDThompson 08-16-14 01:02 PM


Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate (Post 17042441)
Ha, should'a known an Airstream re-builder too! No doubt you have seen this; Latourneau pulling an Airstream:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=399648

Meh. Let's see him going downhill...

wahoonc 08-16-14 01:30 PM


Originally Posted by markk900 (Post 17041698)
Thanks folks: sorry if I was not clear - here is a picture of the current rim (looks pretty good in this shot but the braking surfaces are really bad):

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...psf4fbfd9e.jpg

The main centre section of the rim that you can see is a satin grey (almost like alloy rims), while the shoulders and braking surface are bright chrome. The Sun CR18 (and other replacement alloy or steel rims I have found) are either all satin or all chrome. Anyway, I think I am belaboring the point. If I do give up the interesting detail of the original rim I will certainly look at the CR18 polished.

That rim was originally shiny in the center, looks like it got rusty and someone cleaned it up. I have also seen that rim with knurling in the center too. The rims are still available but not easy to find. Dutch Bike Bits has them listed.

Aaron :)

adventurepdx 08-16-14 02:03 PM

Spotted by one of my operatives yesterday out in Gloucester, Mass. I have no info other than the pic. Anyone in the area in need of a Raleigh Sports want to give 'em a call?
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3920/...34ec03226a.jpg

Salubrious 08-16-14 02:15 PM

Rims: if you plan to ride it Sun CR18s. If you plan to mostly look at it (not that there is anything wrong with that), original chrome.

markk900 08-16-14 04:04 PM


That rim was originally shiny in the center, looks like it got rusty and someone cleaned it up. I have also seen that rim with knurling in the center too. The rims are still available but not easy to find. Dutch Bike Bits has them listed.

Aaron :)
Aaron: in this thread (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...s-3-speed.html) Kurt had told a poster with a 1949 Raleigh that the centre of the rim was supposed to be dull chrome (which is why I thought that was the original finish on mine and did not try to polish it at all).....now I am confused. However, I really like the rims you have linked to so thanks muchly!

BTW: I ride all my bikes, but not often in the rain. Even with the rough braking surfaces on the Humber rims I have been talking about, I can still lock the back wheel using grey continental Kool Stops (in the dry)....

wahoonc 08-16-14 06:23 PM


Originally Posted by markk900 (Post 17042939)
Aaron: in this thread (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...s-3-speed.html) Kurt had told a poster with a 1949 Raleigh that the centre of the rim was supposed to be dull chrome (which is why I thought that was the original finish on mine and did not try to polish it at all).....now I am confused. However, I really like the rims you have linked to so thanks muchly!

BTW: I ride all my bikes, but not often in the rain. Even with the rough braking surfaces on the Humber rims I have been talking about, I can still lock the back wheel using grey continental Kool Stops (in the dry)....

Ok... I was thinking of the more modern rims. I only have two bikes from the 50's and both appear to be from around 1954 plus/minus a couple of years, and both are Hercules.

I suppose you could by modern rims and treat the center ridge to dull the chrome down, scuff it up or treat it with a mild acid.



Aaron :)

1000MPH 09-07-14 11:41 AM

5 Attachment(s)
My 70's ('71-'72?) Malaysian built Raleigh Sports. All original except the tires, tubes, bearings, and grips.

auchencrow 09-07-14 12:03 PM

Good looker and a good size, @1000MPH. A veritable garage queen.
(And high time someone bumped this thread! )

SirMike1983 09-07-14 04:34 PM

Does anyone offhand know the spoke length from a modern Sturmey Archer 3 speed to a Sun CR18 ISO 590mm rim? Pattern is 36 cross 3. I did a calc and it ran 275-ish. Anyone think that sounds right?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:38 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.