Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

sykerocker 01-06-15 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 17446942)
Update: I saw & rode the bike. Brake pads original & stopping was non existent so ride was short. The red paint will never be "red" - more of a dried blood brown red. Pedals are actually black & say Phillips on them. Lowest seller will go is $100. Sounds like that's a good deal for this type of bike. It fits, and I'm certain it would be a learning experience, but it's .....I'm not sure. I'd love it as a project but what if I bought it, replaced consumables then didn't like it? Could I sell it? This is a hot, competitive market in bike selling season. So I'm not sure what I'll decide.
@noglider- it was the mechanic's own personal cotter press that he's had & never uses. To me that makes it extra special.

Either you buy it, or I'm going to figure some way to take it out from under you.

Bandera 01-06-15 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 17447092)
No, but it should be fun.

You'll be having Tea with the Vicar before you know it and plootering about the Village by dim flickering Dyno-hub light:

"Miss Jane Marple: We're all very ordinary in St. Mary Mead, but ordinary people can sometimes do the most astonishing things."

Alternately:

"Ms. Plum did it in the garage with the Cotter-Pin-Press........"

-Bandera

Velocivixen 01-06-15 07:32 PM

The Prince Phillip has arrived to his throne in the garage! The light has a switch on the bottom with 3 positions. Left position does nothing, nor does the center position while pedaling, but the right position turns on headlight as well as the rear red light while pedaling. So why 3 positions? Shifter appears to need adjusting also. So I've got some research to do as to what I should do to fix it up.

My quick questions are:
-Should I just get Kool Stop Continental brake pads? They're readily available & I will keep the bike unchanged, but within reason.
-What kind of shifter cable do I use & how to get it into the actual shifter? Can I reuse the cable housing? If so, should I drip some Tri-Flow in there?
-The fenders are way above the top of the tire - normal?

Also, I just read a Sheldon Brown article & he cites an article by Chris Hayes called "The Secret is Fully Enclosed" from the SA 1956 catalog. I'm not keen (see, I'm already talking with British vernacular) on tearing into a hub, as I am completely unfamiliar with IG & SA hubs & dynamo hubs. So should I just put some oil into the port? How much? How do I even know if it needs any?

Also, I'm thinking I should start my own thread on this bike so as not to monopolize this thread with specific details about the overhaul. Does this sound right? Or is the the thread it should be in?

Thanks for all your support. Cheerio.

Bandera 01-06-15 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 17447392)
The light has a switch on the bottom with 3 positions. Left position does nothing, nor does the center position while pedaling, but the right position turns on headlight as well as the rear red light while pedaling. So why 3 positions?

My quick questions are:
-Should I just get Kool Stop Continental brake pads? They're readily available & I will keep the bike unchanged, but within reason.
-What kind of shifter cable do I use & how to get it into the actual shifter? Can I reuse the cable housing? If so, should I drip some Tri-Flow in there?
-The fenders are way above the top of the tire - normal?

Also, I just read a Sheldon Brown article & he cites an article by Chris Hayes called "The Secret is Fully Enclosed" from the SA 1956 catalog. I'm not keen (see, I'm already talking with British vernacular) on tearing into a hub, as I am completely unfamiliar with IG & SA hubs & dynamo hubs. So should I just put some oil into the port? How much? How do I even know if it needs any?

Also, I'm thinking I should start my own thread on this bike so as not to monopolize this thread with specific details about the overhaul. Does this sound right? Or is the the thread it should be in?

Thanks for all your support. Cheerio.

You should start a Prince Phillip thread in C&V.

The 3 position Dyno-light switch is typical of British electrics "back when" where Nothing is expected of any, of not all switch positions.
It's a Feature.

Kool-Stops are a good idea, as is a proper Brooks saddle.

If you need to have a shifter cable installed refer to Sheldon Brown, if original lube lightly (Tri-Flo is good) and proceed to cable/hub adjustments.
Pull the brake cables. If the cables are rusted, replace with fresh, lube them and re-install w/ your fresh brake pads.

The fenders provide a Classic arc over the tires, the British know about wet. That's how the are supposed to be. Install new tires/tubes.

A sip of non-detergent machine oil is all that is required for normal maintenance whenever it sounds like it needs it (like 30W lawnmower oil) BUT the outer bearings on a machine that has just sat for decades could use whatever proper bearing grease you have. Once again see S. Brown.

Get that cotter-pin-pin press out and cone/HS wrenches for a Full Overhaul. Also ditch the rear cog for a 22T from Harris cycle and have at it.

-Bandera

markk900 01-06-15 08:36 PM

The Prince Phillip has arrived to his throne in the garage!

Congrats.....the Jedi mind tricks we played on you finally worked!

The light has a switch on the bottom with 3 positions. Left position does nothing, nor does the center position while pedaling, but the right position turns on headlight as well as the rear red light while pedaling. So why 3 positions?

From my British Motorcycle days: Dim, Flicker, Off.

Should I just get Kool Stop Continental brake pads? They're readily available & I will keep the bike unchanged, but within reason.

Yes....they're cheap and effective.

What kind of shifter cable do I use & how to get it into the actual shifter? Can I reuse the cable housing? If so, should I drip some Tri-Flow in there?

LBS should have standard SA cables - they will come with an adjustable connector for the indicator rod (chain into the hub) but will work well enough.

So should I just put some oil into the port? How much? How do I even know if it needs any?

A couple of squirts from an oil can....if its too much it will drool out over your rim and tire by tomorrow morning (see, we didn't tell you the literally dirty secrets *before* you bought it!). In general, if it shifts smoothly and makes a nice ticking sound in normal or top gear it will be fine. Standard is to add a squirt or two every couple of months, but I find that means more mess.

JohnDThompson 01-06-15 09:17 PM

The Prince Phillip has arrived to his throne in the garage! The light has a switch on the bottom with 3 positions. Left position does nothing, nor does the center position while pedaling, but the right position turns on headlight as well as the rear red light while pedaling. So why 3 positions?

The third position is to accommodate the optional "dry battery unit" to power the lights when stationary:

Sturmey-Archer Heritage :: History

Velocivixen 01-06-15 10:50 PM

Update: I'll start a separate thread, but just wanted to add a couple of interesting things:

- chain is not stretched & has a "master link" - I'll post a photo elsewhere
- metal clamp around center of front hub has a hole under it - think it's an oil port
- top of bottom bracket shell on left side has an oil port too

I am officially super excited. Thanks.

adventurepdx 01-06-15 11:47 PM

Three Speed Meetup in Portland, OR: Sat Jan 31

Before I forget, I should mention that the Society of Three Speeds will be having an informal get-together in a few weeks! Meet at Velo Cult, 1969 NE 42nd Ave, on Saturday January 31st. We'll be there from 5 to 8 pm. Some pertinent points for this night:
  • A few prizes!
  • Spring ride announcement.
  • Info about new membership packets!
  • Good conversation.

Please ride your three speed to the event. Itís most appropriate, and if the mood strikes us we may take a ride afterwards.

See you on the 31st!

BGBeck 01-07-15 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 17447923)
Update: I'll start a separate thread, but just wanted to add a couple of interesting things:

- chain is not stretched & has a "master link" - I'll post a photo elsewhere
- metal clamp around center of front hub has a hole under it - think it's an oil port
- top of bottom bracket shell on left side has an oil port too

I am officially super excited. Thanks.

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...tos-heavy.html

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...d-already.html

forestine 01-08-15 10:27 PM

I have spent several days very slowly going through this thread and I am finally here at page 234. I think I have learned a lot so far and there are so many cool bikes!

nlerner 01-09-15 10:21 AM

Here's another source for Panaracer Col de la vie 590mm tires:

Panaracer Col De La Vie Series RANDONNEE

The shop is in Japan, but prices are quite reasonable (maybe because of the current $ to Yen rate?), and shipping isn't bad.

noglider 01-09-15 10:55 AM

Even though I'm on the wrong coast and can't attend the Portland event, @Velocivixen, you better be there! ;)

Velocivixen 01-09-15 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 17455419)
Even though I'm on the wrong coast and can't attend the Portland event, @Velocivixen, you better be there! ;)

Funny. I'll be there. As an aside, how was your time in Washington? You meet up with any other C & V folks? Hope you had a great time.

noglider 01-09-15 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 17455648)
Funny. I'll be there. As an aside, how was your time in Washington? You meet up with any other C & V folks? Hope you had a great time.

We had a great time. My wife and I met up with @Lascauxcaveman and rode with him on Bainbridge Island. We hopped on the ferry, and he went back west to his home. We had unusually nice weather. It was cold but clear and bright.

Number_6 01-09-15 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 17448007)
Before I forget, I should mention that the Society of Three Speeds will be having an informal get-together in a few weeks! Meet at Velo Cult, 1969 NE 42nd Ave, on Saturday January 31st. We'll be there from 5 to 8 pm. Some pertinent points for this night:
  • A few prizes!
  • Spring ride announcement.
  • Info about new membership packets!
  • Good conversation.

Please ride your three speed to the event. It’s most appropriate, and if the mood strikes us we may take a ride afterwards.

See you on the 31st!

Do keep us posted. I have a minivan for a company car with free gas- I've gone to the West Coast twice that way. I also get six weeks of vacation- the choice of weeks will be due sometime in March...

adventurepdx 01-09-15 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Number_6 (Post 17455825)
Do keep us posted. I have a minivan for a company car with free gas- I've gone to the West Coast twice that way. I also get six weeks of vacation- the choice of weeks will be due sometime in March...

Well thanks for thinking of me! I will post when the next ride(s) happen, and you can always see what's up here: Society Of Three Speeds | Preserving, enjoying, and riding three speed hub-geared bicycles.
But honestly, the Society of Three Speed rides right now are smallish day affairs, though I may finally get around to do a camping ride this summer.

For someone willing to travel from KY to somewhere else, I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend you check out the Lake Pepin Three Speed Tour in MN/WI on May 17-18. I went last year and plan on going this year. The Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour

Number_6 01-09-15 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 17455962)
Well thanks for thinking of me! I will post when the next ride(s) happen, and you can always see what's up here: Society Of Three Speeds | Preserving, enjoying, and riding three speed hub-geared bicycles.
But honestly, the Society of Three Speed rides right now are smallish day affairs, though I may finally get around to do a camping ride this summer.

For someone willing to travel from KY to somewhere else, I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend you check out the Lake Pepin Three Speed Tour in MN/WI on May 17-18. I went last year and plan on going this year. The Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour

Smallish affairs are fine. A fun part of a a larger trip. Social, Leisurely and Scenic. Scenic can mean a lot of things, I want to do what this guy does- there and back home in Dayton. https://tourdehood.wordpress.com/ As a born-and-bred Rust Belter I'm fascinated with disused and decaying infrastacture- as well as the architecture

I have actually been pondering some sort of group, on the informal side around here. "Ihe Ohio Valley 3-Speed Society"- maybe a Facebook page?. Has anyone considered chapters for the Society? :D

adventurepdx 01-10-15 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Number_6 (Post 17456020)
...I want to do what this guy does- there and back home in Dayton. https://tourdehood.wordpress.com/ As a born-and-bred Rust Belter I'm fascinated with disused and decaying infrastacture- as well as the architecture

Haven't seen that blog! Looks cool, but doesn't look like it's been updated in three years.

Originally Posted by Number_6 (Post 17456020)
I have actually been pondering some sort of group, on the informal side around here. "Ihe Ohio Valley 3-Speed Society"- maybe a Facebook page?. Has anyone considered chapters for the Society? :D

I'm open to the idea of "chapters" and you aren't the first to ask. But it really hasn't gone beyond that. If you are seriously interested, let me know. Though SoTS is so "old-skool" we don't do the Book of Face.

Number_6 01-10-15 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 17458357)
Haven't seen that blog! Looks cool, but doesn't look like it's been updated in three years.

Yes... it's been a while. I like the idea though. Maybe a local with some history in cities like this to make it a more expansive experience. I'm going to do some reconnoitering this year for Dayton for this sort of thing- figure where you can go and where to not go. I grew up in the city and acquired a little street savvy... amd there is safety in numbers. I'm a member of Dayton History- maybe have an "event" (?)- and inoculate that idea to other cities. Also, a group that is hotel-based could probably do the National Park Service's Aviation Trail in a weekend.

Admittedly, Detroit does fascinate...

I'm open to the idea of "chapters" and you aren't the first to ask. But it really hasn't gone beyond that. If you are seriously interested, let me know. Though SoTS is so "old-skool" we don't do the Book of Face.
I'll pm you on this. i don't know that anything could get going very much this year. Have to get the word out to IGH riders and gin up interest as well as scout tour routes- relaxing and leisurely ones.

michael k 01-10-15 01:39 PM

@adventurepdx Just curious if that was you that we ran into at the N.E. Sundayparkways ride last Summer? I was on the Tourist with the hairpin saddle and also had the 50's Sport with dress guards.

dweenk 01-10-15 01:53 PM

OK, I have a chance to buy a Raleigh Sports (women's frame) with a sprung Brooks leather saddle for $125. The bike looks to be in good condition based upon the photos I've seen. The saddle looks very good.

The problem is that I don't want to pay the asking price, and the bike is too small for me (but not for my wife). I need a reason not to buy this thing. Intervention anyone?

michael k 01-10-15 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 17458601)
OK, I have a chance to buy a Raleigh Sports (women's frame) with a sprung Brooks leather saddle for $125. The bike looks to be in good condition based upon the photos I've seen. The saddle looks very good.

The problem is that I don't want to pay the asking price, and the bike is too small for me (but not for my wife). I need a reason not to buy this thing. Intervention anyone?

You do realize this is a forum for enablers, right?!!

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c.../basket006.jpg

adventurepdx 01-10-15 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by michael k (Post 17458559)
@adventurepdx Just curious if that was you that we ran into at the N.E. Sunday Parkways ride last Summer? I was on the Tourist with the hairpin saddle and also had the 50's Sport with dress guards.

Quite possibly. I was riding my Rudge Sports then, which I sold in September, and on my way to leading a Three Speed Ride that afternoon:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3709/...0ca3cdc1cd.jpg

dweenk 01-10-15 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by michael k (Post 17458626)

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c.../basket006.jpg

You just had to add the photo of what I dreamed the bike ould look like after a little work - but really - couldn't you have taken the nice basket off? I hate you.;)

adventurepdx 01-10-15 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by michael k (Post 17458626)

What he said.

Just look at the interaction with @Velocivixen over the last few pages of the thread for an example.

dweenk 01-10-15 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 17458658)
What he said.

Just look at the interaction with @Velocivixen over the last few pages of the thread for an example.

I was on of those enablers, but this is my money; and the chain guard is missing - give me a break!

markk900 01-10-15 02:28 PM

Sorry @dweenk: I tried that and my wife now loves her bike.....bought it for me don'tcha know, but it was too small (but not for her). Get it for her, then get one for yourself... In all honesty, riding 3-speeds with my wife is fun fun fun and while she was skeptical at first she loves it now....

Chain guards are not that hard to find. Offer $95....

Number_6 01-10-15 02:29 PM

Knock off $50 for the chain guard and I don't see why not! :D Go to Walmart on the way home. buy a cheap seat, and keep the Brooks. When you get home, go in and say "Honey I was thinking of you..."

adventurepdx 01-10-15 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 17458674)
I was on of those enablers, but this is my money; and the chain guard is missing - give me a break!

Ah, I see how it works: We can only enable if it's someone else's money. Yeah, sure. :rolleyes:

dweenk 01-10-15 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 17458658)
What he said.

Originally Posted by markk900 (Post 17458686)
Sorry @dweenk: I tried that and my wife now loves her bike.....bought it for me don'tcha know, but it was too small (but not for her). Get it for her, then get one for yourself... In all honesty, riding 3-speeds with my wife is fun fun fun and while she was skeptical at first she loves it now....

Chain guards are not that hard to find. Offer $95....

Originally Posted by Number_6 (Post 17458687)
Knock off $50 for the chain guard and I don't see why not! :D Go to Walmart on the way home. buy a cheap seat, and keep the Brooks. When you get home, go in and say "Honey I was thinking of you..."

Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 17458730)
Ah, I see how it works: We can only enable if it's someone else's money. Yeah, sure. :rolleyes:

OK, I admit that I am an addict. My name is Dweenk and I buy bicycles. I can't help it. I even pick up bicycles that have been thrown in the trash and left by the roadside, and I must admit that I have even ridden them. To my credit - many of them I have donated to kids or given away - but my addiction is deeply embedded. I am going to make a reasonable offer on the bike and hope that it is rejected, but if it is rejected, I will up the offer.

Oh no, what have you people done to me? :cry: