Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

BigChief 04-10-18 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a Sunlite touring stem compared to a stock Sports stem.

Attachment 606714

paulb_in_bkln 04-10-18 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 20276900)
I'd expect that seatpost to bend, especially if your friend has any heft.

Not so far. Bike be good. Well he is not quite as tall as I am so it got pulled in a little.

johnnyspaghetti 04-10-18 06:07 PM

knornold , wshashacicacaca,

paulb_in_bkln 04-10-18 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20277104)
knornold , wshashacicacaca,

That's easy for you to say.

paulb_in_bkln 04-10-18 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 20276925)
I may have posted about this before but am doing so again because I believe this little bike really needs to find a home. There's a junk shop north of town that leaves all its bikes out in the open and they are rusting away,

The horror. The horror.

Mooo 04-10-18 08:08 PM

A blue ladies '72 LTD-3 came home with me. Paint is chipped, and the chrome is hit or miss. Mostly miss. Wasn't sure what to do with it, but am leaning toward making it a foul weather commuter. Hard duty, but better than going straight to the recycler. The stupid thing is that I'll probably end up putting alloy rims, handlebars, and maybe a crank on it.
Our household has a 74 LTD-3 (also ladies) that I borrow sometimes. It's weird, but I think it's a 23" frame and for short trips, I think I actually prefer it a little to my 21" gent's frame.

BigChief 04-11-18 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mooo (Post 20277269)
A blue ladies '72 LTD-3 came home with me. Paint is chipped, and the chrome is hit or miss. Mostly miss. Wasn't sure what to do with it, but am leaning toward making it a foul weather commuter. Hard duty, but better than going straight to the recycler. The stupid thing is that I'll probably end up putting alloy rims, handlebars, and maybe a crank on it.
Our household has a 74 LTD-3 (also ladies) that I borrow sometimes. It's weird, but I think it's a 23" frame and for short trips, I think I actually prefer it a little to my 21" gent's frame.

With the stem maxed, I can ride a 21" light roadster, but I am missing some leg extension that becomes more and more noticeable as I ride. A 23" frame suites me much better. Although, I am very pleased with my 21" semi-scorcher with the longer Sunlite stem. Worked perfectly. The longer neck made up the loss of reach that happens as you raise the handlebars. So, turning a 21" into a 23" isn't much of a problem. You do have to make up custom length cables though.

gster 04-11-18 05:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20277622)
With the stem maxed, I can ride a 21" light roadster, but I am missing some leg extension that becomes more and more noticeable as I ride. A 23" frame suites me much better. Although, I am very pleased with my 21" semi-scorcher with the longer Sunlite stem. Worked perfectly. The longer neck made up the loss of reach that happens as you raise the handlebars. So, turning a 21" into a 23" isn't much of a problem. You do have to make up custom length cables though.

I prefer a 23" frame as well, but like you, have a few 21's with raised seats and bars.
All are enjoyable.
A Hercules
A Superbe
And a Glider

Attachment 606757

Attachment 606758

Attachment 606759

paulb_in_bkln 04-11-18 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 20277632)
I prefer a 23" frame as well,

Same here, but finding a good deal seems often to mean accepting a bike with a frame on the smaller side. The Rudge I'm considering seems like a 21" which means a higher stem and seatpost, and being sure I'm happy with the arrangement before making any significant investment. Your red bike is where I want to be with a bike like this--yours is actually the first photo I've seen that represents what I've been thinking of.

gster 04-11-18 06:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 20277716)
Same here, but finding a good deal seems often to mean accepting a bike with a frame on the smaller side. The Rudge I'm considering seems like a 21" which means a higher stem and seatpost, and being sure I'm happy with the arrangement before making any significant investment. Your red bike is where I want to be with a bike like this--yours is actually the first photo I've seen that represents what I've been thinking of.

The downed turned bars certainly look cool but depending on your height and age may not be as comfortable as you'd like...
Here's ( in my opinion) the perfect Scorcher..
Bike is not mine.
Attachment 606770

browngw 04-11-18 09:36 AM

4 Attachment(s)
This made in England Supercycle branded Raleigh is a 21" frame with extended seat post and Sunlite stem, built for myself. The 70s Bridgestone bars have a unique shape and are flipped, scorcher style. It rides okay but it does not please my eye with the extended seat post and stem. It was originally a drop bar bike (same model was available with north road style) and I have to decide whether it will sell better as a drop bar or upright. Which would you choose for resale?

paulb_in_bkln 04-11-18 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 20277722)
The downed turned bars certainly look cool but depending on your height and age may not be as comfortable as you'd like...
Here's ( in my opinion) the perfect Scorcher..
Bike is not mine.

Originally Posted by browngw (Post 20278063)
This made in England Supercycle branded Raleigh is a 21" frame with extended seat post and Sunlite stem, built for myself. The 70s Bridgestone bars have a unique shape and are flipped, scorcher style. It rides okay but it does not please my eye with the extended seat post and stem. It was originally a drop bar bike (same model was available with north road style) and I have to decide whether it will sell better as a drop bar or upright. Which would you choose for resale?

Thanks for these photos. getting the right drop and reach with the inverted North Road bars would require choosing a new stem, I'm fairly sure; also, the aesthetics of a taller stem and seatpost do concern me. As for re-sale, I have a feeling the Bstone bars, positioned the more typical way, would produce the most buyer interest, but I don't know.

desconhecido 04-11-18 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Posted this pick before. This is a 56 Sports with 700 wheels and 28mm tires. SA dynohub powers the B&M light. Currently has a GB stem and unbranded bars from an early 70s Raleigh GP, but it's going to get a Raleigh branded stem and bar set and some Diacompe 610 Raleigh branded centerpulls. Chainwheel is 48t, AW hub sprocket is 22.

johnnyspaghetti 04-11-18 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 20277632)
I prefer a 23" frame as well, but like you, have a few 21's with raised seats and bars.
All are enjoyable.
A Hercules
A Superbe
And a Glider

Attachment 606757

Attachment 606758

Attachment 606759

23 is the deal for 6 footers

paulb_in_bkln 04-11-18 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by desconhecido (Post 20278409)
This is a 56 Sports with 700 wheels and 28mm tires. SA dynohub powers the B&M light. Currently has a GB stem and unbranded bars from an early 70s Raleigh GP, but it's going to get a Raleigh branded stem and bar set and some Diacompe 610 Raleigh branded centerpulls. Chainwheel is 48t, AW hub sprocket is 22.

Now that's what I'm talking about.

paulb_in_bkln 04-11-18 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Five years outside parking hasn't been too hard on the Space Rider. I wonder did Raleigh have some prescription for stopping the rims rusting, or was that just a fact of life?

dweenk 04-11-18 01:15 PM

[MENTION=298130]browngw[/MENTION]

I would take it as is. If the bars didn't suit me, I would flip them.

johnnyspaghetti 04-11-18 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 20278435)
Five years outside parking hasn't been too hard on the Space Rider. I wonder did Raleigh have some prescription for stopping the rims rusting, or was that just a fact of life?

They chrome the rims pretty good. They need to be maintained. They will polish up nice even if pitted or chrome plate is missing. They clean up well in the spring the rust is mostly bleed on to the chrome.

johnnyspaghetti 04-11-18 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 20278435)

The bike looks like a hard worker. I see the extra long seat post is all ready bent

thumpism 04-11-18 02:31 PM

$65. I couldn't stand to think of this thing staying outside so went back today to get a price. You'd think if someone asked about an item you'd had in the yard for a few years you'd price it low to move it out, but no. I hate to think of it rusting away but it won't be me saving it. If it had been ten bucks I'd have it, twenty and I'd have had to think about it, but not sixty-five freakin' rusted dollars.

'Bye, little bike. Good luck.

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 20276925)

Dsprok 04-11-18 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by browngw (Post 20278063)

The drop bar will look better to me. Upright will have a broader market though.

BigChief 04-11-18 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I can understand about the aesthetics. I would choose a 23" as a personal rider especially if I wanted to keep an original appearance. But, I have to say that I'm very pleased with the way my Rudge semi scorcher turned out. The project started out as me trying to replace the 50s Rudge scorcher I had as a teenager and always regretted selling. I wanted it to have new paint so I needed one with either an over paint or a finish that wasn't worth preserving. I found this over painted mid 50s Rudge with a replaced fork and a Schwinn front wheel. But it was a 21". The tall sterm doesn't look so bad to me on a scorcher build and it turned out to be a really nice ride. Of all the bikes I have around, this and the DL-1 get the most ride time.

Attachment 606860

Ballenxj 04-11-18 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20278957)
I can understand about the aesthetics. I would choose a 23" as a personal rider especially if I wanted to keep an original appearance. But, I have to say that I'm very pleased with the way my Rudge semi scorcher turned out. The project started out as me trying to replace the 50s Rudge scorcher I had as a teenager and always regretted selling. I wanted it to have new paint so I needed one with either an over paint or a finish that wasn't worth preserving. I found this over painted mid 50s Rudge with a replaced fork and a Schwinn front wheel. But it was a 21". The tall sterm doesn't look so bad to me on a scorcher build and it turned out to be a really nice ride. Of all the bikes I have around, this and the DL-1 get the most ride time.

Attachment 606860

That's a really nice looking bike. What brakes are those? They look more effective than the original?

browngw 04-11-18 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Raleigh made 21" Supercycle as found with drop bar.

BigChief 04-11-18 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Ballenxj (Post 20279157)
That's a really nice looking bike. What brakes are those? They look more effective than the original?

Those are Tektro R559 brake calipers. I can't say they stop the bike any faster than the stock steel calipers with KoolStops, but they have more mechanical advantage and stiffness so they require less pressure on the lever and fit the scorcher image. Very luxurious feel to them. Like power brakes. I did have a lever travel issue with the rear brake. I ended up using 2 Sturmey Archer fulcrum clips (cable stops) on the top tube with some fine sand glued to the inside diameter (so they don't slip) to eliminate the compression from 18" of cable housing. That small amount of efficiency made the rear brake lever travel acceptable for me. Someone here mentioned compressionless cable housing as an alternative, but I went the cable stop route.

Attachment 606875

Oh, an afterthought...These brakes have the cable mount on the right side instead of the left like the originals. So when you route the cables for left front/right rear, they cross out in front like the bikes in England where they use the left lever for the rear brake and right for the front. I always liked the look of that cable routing.

SirMike1983 04-11-18 09:01 PM

Out and about on the Raleigh export model roadster this evening.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yKS-0uQx3...411_185909.jpg

JaccoW 04-12-18 01:08 AM

Full Reynolds 531 3-speed anyone?
Gazelle Superlicht - Marktplaats

EDIT:
https://i.imgur.com/aTMUSRj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Uawbtto.jpg

johnnyspaghetti 04-12-18 04:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Winter continues. Very possible foot or two of snow, ice this weekend. Its good today to take out the Poodle riding.

Attachment 606900

johnnyspaghetti 04-12-18 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 20279252)

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yKS-0uQx3...411_185909.jpg

The angles on that frame look so laid back.

BigChief 04-12-18 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 20279252)

That looks great. Aren't these old roadsters fun? I never expected to like them as much as I do, but now I'm totally addicted.