Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

BigChief 04-12-18 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by JaccoW (Post 20279417)
Full Reynolds 531 3-speed anyone?
Gazelle Superlicht - Marktplaats

EDIT:

Brilliant! I wish Raleigh had done that for the US market.

nlerner 04-12-18 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20279544)

An early 1950s Raleigh catalog I have shows the RRA (full DB 531) in “tourist” guise with upright bars and IGH. Don’t know if you could actually get it that way, of course.

gster 04-12-18 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20278957)
I can understand about the aesthetics. I would choose a 23" as a personal rider especially if I wanted to keep an original appearance. But, I have to say that I'm very pleased with the way my Rudge semi scorcher turned out. The project started out as me trying to replace the 50s Rudge scorcher I had as a teenager and always regretted selling. I wanted it to have new paint so I needed one with either an over paint or a finish that wasn't worth preserving. I found this over painted mid 50s Rudge with a replaced fork and a Schwinn front wheel. But it was a 21". The tall sterm doesn't look so bad to me on a scorcher build and it turned out to be a really nice ride. Of all the bikes I have around, this and the DL-1 get the most ride time.

Attachment 606860

That bike checks all the boxes.

paulb_in_bkln 04-12-18 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20279528)
Winter continues. Very possible foot or two of snow, ice this weekend. Its good today to take out the Poodle riding.

Attachment 606900

johnnyspaghetti, I hope your dog is following Leroy's Dog on Twitter. The two, they might be soul mates.

paulb_in_bkln 04-12-18 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20278957)
I found this over painted mid 50s Rudge with a replaced fork and a Schwinn front wheel. But it was a 21". The tall stem doesn't look so bad to me on a scorcher build and it turned out to be a really nice ride.

I have just purchased something similar, with the original fork and chrome crown cap, and the head tube badge nice, but I think not the Rudge pattern chainwheel, which I don't know why. Maybe I can dig one up, somewhere. I'll need similar extra lift at the seat and stem, but yours looks fine that way, maybe it has to do with the absence of the chainguard and fenders. I doubt the wheels are as perfect as the ones on yours, so most likely it will get CR18s. (I'm intrigued with the notion of going 700C.) But I have a project bike ahead of it so the Rudge will most likely get taken apart for storage in the closet until next winter.

johnnyspaghetti 04-12-18 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20279528)
Winter continues. Very possible foot or two of snow, ice this weekend. Its good today to take out the Poodle riding.

Attachment 606900

She is not a nice dog. Said that she is so smart. it's wow smart. watches the bike front wheel then follows. i

I use a leash. She doesn't like small children or small dogs.

paulb_in_bkln 04-12-18 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20279544)

Yes. So true. But during those years it was such a struggle for bike companies to get adult Americans to take bicycles seriously. Schwinn tried and tried and it wasn't easy for them. Every once in a while here (NYC) I meet someone who says how their grandfather loved bikes and had a beautiful old 50s or early 60s racer and the next thing they say is, wait for it, he was an Italian immigrant.

paulb_in_bkln 04-12-18 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20278582)
The bike looks like a hard worker. I see the extra long seat post is all ready bent

I like how my friend and his wife aren't bike fans at all, they just ride the bike around the neighborhood for errands and don't worry about appearance. Like you say, hard worker. No vanity. Is the seat tube bent? I will look closer. Not that it matters. Steel! (Some young guy was selling this in the middle of a snowstorm in front of Paragon Sporting Goods on Broadway. He wanted $40 so I thought what the hell. The guy I'm friendly with at my LBS did a nice job overhauling it, just the usual stuff, and when I rode it over for delivery I was so thrilled I bought my own Sports shortly afterward.)

johnnyspaghetti 04-12-18 08:21 AM

LBS I say yes then no.

nlerner 04-12-18 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 20279593)
An early 1950s Raleigh catalog I have shows the RRA (full DB 531) in “tourist” guise with upright bars and IGH. Don’t know if you could actually get it that way, of course.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/890/2...d13ef467_z.jpg

paulb_in_bkln 04-12-18 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 20278606)
$65. I couldn't stand to think of this thing staying outside so went back today to get a price.

It is a shame the owner is so hard-nosed.

paulb_in_bkln 04-12-18 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 20279800)

Almost a custom bike. Wonderful to know it existed.

paulb_in_bkln 04-12-18 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20279746)
She is not a nice dog. Said that she is so smart. it's wow smart. watches the bike front wheel then follows. i

I use a leash. She doesn't small chirdern or small dogs.

She's ready for a job interview. You know the advice: never say anything bad about yourself.

BigChief 04-12-18 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 20279809)
Almost a custom bike. Wonderful to know it existed.

The RRA , the original RRA I should say, is the Grail English IGH bike in my book. At my age and ability I couldn't make the best use of one though. It would be wasted on me at this point, even in roadster trim.

paulb_in_bkln 04-12-18 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20279877)
The RRA , the original RRA I should say, is the Grail English IGH bike in my book. At my age and ability I couldn't make the best use of one though. It would be wasted on me at this point, even in roadster trim.

Imagine the enjoyment buying one new--the discussing with the shop which of all those equipment options to choose, and probably a few kibitzers interestedly observing, with their own opinions, because it wouldn't be every day someone ordered one of those, and then waiting for the bike to finally appear from the factory, and then the sheer crazy enjoyment of those first rides.

BigChief 04-12-18 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 20279739)
I have just purchased something similar, with the original fork and chrome crown cap, and the head tube badge nice, but I think not the Rudge pattern chainwheel, which I don't know why. Maybe I can dig one up, somewhere. I'll need similar extra lift at the seat and stem, but yours looks fine that way, maybe it has to do with the absence of the chainguard and fenders. I doubt the wheels are as perfect as the ones on yours, so most likely it will get CR18s. (I'm intrigued with the notion of going 700C.) But I have a project bike ahead of it so the Rudge will most likely get taken apart for storage in the closet until next winter.

Raleigh started using the standard chainring on their captive brands in the 60s. Too bad really, the distinctive chainrings are such a big part of their charm. If you really want a Hand of Ulster chainring, you could get into this bidding war.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rud...4AAOSwxfdayUsI

thumpism 04-12-18 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 20279801)
It is a shame the owner is so hard-nosed.

In fairness, I did not speak with the owner; I spoke with a young guy manning the shop who had to call her to ask about the price. The woman is in business to make money and she does not see this little Herc as a "nice little bike that should be saved from terminal exposure," she sees it as a "midcentury modern artifact that would be a rare and tasteful design element" and has priced it accordingly. To her it's like the old washboards and metal feed signs you see on the walls of folksy restaurants. I understand that. But unless she thinks it will become more attractive to shoppers the longer it degrades in her side lot, she's a fool not to entertain an approach by someone with an obvious interest in its purchase.

Maybe she just hates the bike or hates having to deal with them as part of the business. Lord knows, when you're not actually riding a bike it really can be a cumbersome device. Believe me, I know. We have 12 in the household right now and certainly do not need another.

Chaser95 04-12-18 10:08 AM

uh oh, I am rapidly approaching 20 here and I thought things were still under control. Like yesterday, I found a Puch built JC Higgins three speed and bought it because it had a good B-66 on it. That's ok........right?

paulb_in_bkln 04-12-18 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20279928)
Raleigh started using the standard chainring on their captive brands in the 60s. Too bad really, the distinctive chainrings are such a big part of their charm. If you really want a Hand of Ulster chainring, you could get into this bidding war.

So Raleigh did not treat all its children the same. Disappointing. They stuck with the heron chainwheel much longer; my '72 has it. Maybe a bargain will come my way. Thanks for this information.

paulb_in_bkln 04-12-18 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 20279946)
she does not see this little Herc as a "nice little bike that should be saved from terminal exposure," she sees it as a "midcentury modern artifact that would be a rare and tasteful design element" and has priced it accordingly. To her it's like the old washboards and metal feed signs you see on the walls of folksy restaurants.

Then not hard-nosed so much as maybe not understanding accurately the market for her merchandise.

BigChief 04-12-18 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 20280149)
So Raleigh did not treat all its children the same. Disappointing. They stuck with the heron chainwheel much longer; my '72 has it. Maybe a bargain will come my way. Thanks for this information.

Yes, they did keep the heron chainrings and thimble forks on the Raleigh badged bikes to the bitter end. I think the first brand Raleigh swallowed up was Robin Hood. It remained their budget brand. For a while, other brands they acquired got first class treatment. They kept their traditional distinctive chainrings and forks. Even things like the Humber duplex forks. They took special care of Rudge. The 51 I'm working on came with all the premium goodies. Brooks saddle, stainless spokes, Raleigh pattern rims, single bolt levers, rubber case reflector and Dyno hub. It has the traditional Rudge oval fork crown and distinctive chrome cap. And of course, the Hand of Ulster chainring. In the 60s, they started cutting back on these things by using standard parts. It got to the point where the only difference between a Rudge, Hercules, Humber or Phillips was the badge and a couple transfers. Still great bikes, but I do think it was misplaced economy. One of my favorite all time chainrings was the Humber running man.

paulb_in_bkln 04-12-18 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20280369)
One of my favorite all time chainrings...

I certainly did find the right bike forum!

arty dave 04-12-18 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 20279252)
Out and about on the Raleigh export model roadster this evening.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yKS-0uQx3...411_185909.jpg

It's hard to pick a favourite from Sir Mikes stable, but for me this stands out because of the particular shade of green, that in this image looks black...And because it's a DL-1 :) Sir Mike, is that one of your minnehaha bags? Nice fit on the rack.

johnnyspaghetti 04-12-18 07:30 PM

My eyes are wide open

Chaser95 04-12-18 10:10 PM

Very nice! Beautiful and classic........

Dewey101 04-12-18 10:22 PM

I changed the tube on the rear wheel of my wife’s Raleigh Sports 3-speed tonight. The first time I’ve needed to do that on a 3-speed Sturmey wheel in 34 years! Glad I kept some of my bike tools all those years. Had to start unscrewing the gear indicator chain retaining nut with needle head pliers as it was seized, was glad rim strip came with the tube as it was a burred spoke head that was the cause. Had a head-scratching moment when I put everything back together and heard a rubbing sound - turned out the chain was rubbing against the bike stand. Sense of accomplishment.

dweenk 04-13-18 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Armstrong step through in Dover, DE. It is a bad backlit photo, but there are a couple of other pix. I've seen this bike on CL for a while, so the seller may take less.
https://delaware.craigslist.org/bik/...554928206.html

BigChief 04-13-18 03:06 PM

A nice Robin Hood in New Hampshire. Looks sharp in gold with a chrome fork. Never seen that before.

https://nh.craigslist.org/bik/d/vint...556757746.html

Chaser95 04-13-18 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 20282635)
Armstrong step through in Dover, DE. It is a bad backlit photo, but there are a couple of other pix. I've seen this bike on CL for a while, so the seller may take less.
https://delaware.craigslist.org/bik/...554928206.html

I am trying to learn to "eyeball" frames for size. This looks like a 19 to me. How am I doing?

gster 04-13-18 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20282701)
A nice Robin Hood in New Hampshire. Looks sharp in gold with a chrome fork. Never seen that before.

https://nh.craigslist.org/bik/d/vint...556757746.html

Nice bike, fair price. I suspect the forks have been replaced.