Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

thumpism 03-07-23 06:04 PM

His 'n' hers GOLD Sportses for $165 in NY.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...15375353625140

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...Fw&oe=640D7154

https://scontent.fric1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...jQ&oe=640D2856

thumpism 03-07-23 06:13 PM

Nice ladies' Glider for $150 in MA.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...09745283545429

https://scontent.fric1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...sg&oe=640C5E3A

Ged117 03-07-23 09:00 PM


Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 22822094)
That looks like a Get It and Don't Ask Questions model.

-Kurt


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 22822380)
I'm guessing a mid/late 50's Sports based on the non-detachable chain ring and metal mudguards. Could be plain gauge 531 or Hi-ten

Definitely a go and grab kind of thing. I ended up meeting the seller at his farm about 25km from Ottawa. I was greeted by the sweet farm dog who recently had had a litter of pups, about 12 cows looking lazily at me from behind their fence, and some chickens. The bike had been in the barn for 40+ years (this keeps happening to me with these bikes), and the farm has been in the family for longer than that. The bike was hanging on the wall (exposed to all weather, I might add) alongside a 1930s Ford tractor which looked to have been sitting for about the same amount of time. My relatively pristine 1950 Superbe barn find this bike is not.

AW hub dated 1959 November. It's a Raleigh Canadian, which seems to be a Sports with special decals.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...5c5ce824_b.jpgPXL_20230308_013828607

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1a52548b_b.jpgPXL_20230308_014151381.MP

Despite the weathering very much present on the frame, the individual parts like the pedals don't show very much wear:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...78437ec7_b.jpgPXL_20230308_014311787

It is pretty rough. My plan is to carefully disassemble, and treat the frame and fenders with evaporust. The fenders are beyond touch ups, I'll likely refinish in white, I may clear coat the frame.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...447d7d3f_b.jpgPXL_20230308_013845246

Otherwise, it will eventually take on the commuting/around town role and wear the handlebar/stem and lamps from my 1964 Triumph. Not sure on hub as yet, I am currently rebuilding a '53 AW in a wheel for practice, it may go on this machine or I'll use my S5 if I can get it working properly. Here we go again!

cudak888 03-07-23 09:02 PM

That doesn't look too bad; definitely suited for commuting duties.

Is the chainguard/BB area primarily rust or barnyard animal shyte all over it?

-Kurt

clubman 03-07-23 09:57 PM

I have the same decals on what I assume to be a '57/58 Canadian. Those graphics were very much part of the ephemera of the day as the space race grew heated.

That's my story...


https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c5bf59ff6a.jpg

clubman 03-07-23 09:59 PM

ps should clean up nicely!

Ged117 03-08-23 07:23 AM


Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 22822601)
That doesn't look too bad; definitely suited for commuting duties.

Is the chainguard/BB area primarily rust or barnyard animal shyte all over it?

-Kurt

I thought the worst when I first examined it, but its just farm dirt. The bike is covered in layers of caked on dust and dirt. Quite a bit of surface rust from exposure, but hopefully I can get it looking somewhat presentable.

I really like the space race decals - Raleigh rocket ship.

nlerner 03-08-23 08:16 AM


Originally Posted by Ged117 (Post 22822835)
I thought the worst when I first examined it, but its just farm dirt. The bike is covered in layers of caked on dust and dirt. Quite a bit of surface rust from exposure, but hopefully I can get it looking somewhat presentable.

I really like the space race decals - Raleigh rocket ship.

That's some crusty goodness right there. Looks like a fun project!

nlerner 03-08-23 08:20 AM

Another recent rehab--a 1961 Huffy Sportsman with TCW rear hub:
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...859535ca10.jpg
That saddle is just a placeholder until I find something better. Bright bits cleaned up reasonably well, and shifting and braking seem to work fine. I couldn't get the adjustable BB cup off (but the BB has an oiler port, so I liberally sprayed some lube in there to free up the bearings), all of the rusted bits spent considerable time in Evaporust, and I had to solder a new double-ended cable for the front brake, but other than the frame finish being fairly beat up, I think it cleaned up reasonably well. I did sand and lightly paint and rear rack and reinstalled after this pick. The color sorta matches!

52telecaster 03-08-23 08:30 AM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 22822901)
Another recent rehab--a 1961 Huffy Sportsman with TCW rear hub:
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...859535ca10.jpg
That saddle is just a placeholder until I find something better. Bright bits cleaned up reasonably well, and shifting and braking seem to work fine. I couldn't get the adjustable BB cup off (but the BB has an oiler port, so I liberally sprayed some lube in there to free up the bearings), all of the rusted bits spent considerable time in Evaporust, and I had to solder a new double-ended cable for the front brake, but other than the frame finish being fairly beat up, I think it cleaned up reasonably well. I did sand and lightly paint and rear rack and reinstalled after this pick. The color sorta matches!

I love the huffy sportsmens. The first one I saw was too small for me or I would have bought it. What a world when American companies bought and sold British goods.

sbarner 03-08-23 08:08 PM


Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 22819795)

Looks a lot like the '62 Men's version I brought back from the local bike co-op to fix up. Rod brakes and 26" wheels, Dynohub, and all in a whole lot better condition than this one. The co-op doesn't have people who really know these bikes and they hesitate to hand them out to people as they could be a servicing problem down the road, if they actually get ridden. I have been pulling out the ones that have promise and going completely through them in the hopes that we can raise some funds for the operation selling these to more upscale customers. I think a classic 3-speed is just about the perfect bike for recreation path use, both paved and unpaved, and there are a lot of people who never ride their bikes anywhere else. Time will tell if I am right or all wet, as usual. Of course, a rod brake bike is in a different league, but we sold a surprising number of DL1 and DL1L models in the 1970s, and I expect that tweedy set is still lurking out there, somewhere.

BFisher 03-10-23 07:50 AM

@nlerner, My wife has one of those Sportsmans, a '64, same great color sans white head tube. It was a $15 score from the Allentown area many years ago. I converted it from the awful grip shift to trigger, added a 22t sprocket, cream Delta Cruisers, and an old B66. We call it the Huffington or the Huffingham. Sounds more English.

Korina 03-10-23 08:52 PM

Anyone up for an ID? Someone in Commuting wants to know what bike is in an old Sheena Easton music video.

thumpism 03-11-23 08:35 AM

Sheena looks unsteady riding it.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...303f87c77b.jpg

thumpism 03-11-23 06:00 PM

$100 ladies' Sports with cancerous gumwalls in MA.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...39709324659401

https://scontent.fric1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...ww&oe=6412ED90

thumpism 03-11-23 06:09 PM

Ancient 23" ladies' for FORTY DOLLARS in VA.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...00173407078517

https://scontent.fric1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...kw&oe=64110E58

sunburst 03-13-23 04:05 PM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 22822901)
Another recent rehab--a 1961 Huffy Sportsman with TCW rear hub:
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...859535ca10.jpg
That saddle is just a placeholder until I find something better. Bright bits cleaned up reasonably well, and shifting and braking seem to work fine. I couldn't get the adjustable BB cup off (but the BB has an oiler port, so I liberally sprayed some lube in there to free up the bearings), all of the rusted bits spent considerable time in Evaporust, and I had to solder a new double-ended cable for the front brake, but other than the frame finish being fairly beat up, I think it cleaned up reasonably well. I did sand and lightly paint and rear rack and reinstalled after this pick. The color sorta matches!

Here's one I'm shipping to a friend in CO tomorrow. Remarkably well preserved. Someone took really good care of it. I replaced tires and brake pads. I would have replaced all the cables but never dealt with those double sided cables before and had to way to terminate the brake end.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a4178b7cca.jpg
original saddle (with its clamp reversed)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...522d2e5670.jpg

any idea what year this is?

gna 03-13-23 04:10 PM


Originally Posted by sunburst (Post 22828522)
Here's one I'm shipping to a friend in CO tomorrow. Remarkably well preserved. Someone took really good care of it. I replaced tires and brake pads. I would have replaced all the cables but never dealt with those double sided cables before and had to way to terminate the brake end.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a4178b7cca.jpg
original saddle (with its clamp reversed)



any idea what year this is?

I'm guessing early-mid '60s. Is there a date stamped on the SA hub?

thumpism 03-15-23 09:35 AM

Most of an old Conquest with Hercumatic shifter for $50 in PA.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...22463579109282

https://scontent.fric1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...-Q&oe=641625FA

Marco99 03-16-23 03:41 PM

mostly a collection of castoffs
 
This is my winter project come to fruition. A crusty 1976 Super Course frame (fork from some other Raleigh), a 1979 AW 3 speed hub (from the local bike co-op) that I laced to a new 36H 700C rim, a spare front wheel. New tires and brake pads plus other odds and sods from the co-op and my parts bin.


Currently a 20T sprocket and using the 42T chainring on the original crank. I took it out for a spin and quite liked it, waiting for the snow to disappear and warmer weather to arrive for a longer ride. Weighs in at approximately 25 pounds
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d92f98e69c.jpg

May 10 update: Added fenders, chain guard and 22T cog. The grocery getter is complete.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...78fc18b41.jpeg

52telecaster 03-17-23 10:19 AM


Originally Posted by Marco99 (Post 22831585)
This is my winter project come to fruition. A crusty 1976 Super Course frame (fork from some other Raleigh), a 1979 AW 3 speed hub (from the local bike co-op) that I laced to a new 36H 700C rim, a spare front wheel. New tires and brake pads plus other odds and sods from the co-op and my parts bin.


Currently a 20T sprocket and using the 42T chainring on the original crank. I took it out for a spin and quite liked it, waiting for the snow to disappear and warmer weather to arrive for a longer ride. Weighs in at approximately 25 pounds
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d92f98e69c.jpg

I have a supercourse with an aw as well. I really like the combo.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...db6611d70e.jpg

Marco99 03-17-23 01:19 PM


Originally Posted by 52telecaster (Post 22832244)
I have a supercourse with an aw as well. I really like the combo.

I am struggling with the shifter placement, I like the orientation of your shifter, how did you do it?

Ged117 03-18-23 08:56 PM

I finished rebuilding my '53 AW hub I got for cheap as it was frozen / rusted solid, having been raided for parts and left in a shed for many a year by the PO. Unfortunately, somehow I broke the axle key...I can't grasp how it happened. Re-assembled mechanism installed into the shell / wheel after testing, then I ticked it along and it was suddenly stuck - I opened it up, and a piece of axle key was jammed next to the clutch. It was a replacement part, as the original was missing. Anyone here have an axle key break? Now I need to have it all apart again...bummer.

52telecaster 03-19-23 08:32 AM


Originally Posted by Marco99 (Post 22832406)
I am struggling with the shifter placement, I like the orientation of your shifter, how did you do it?

First of all the shifter is from a Sears three speed so it's sturmey compatible but not actually sturmey. Second, it's stretched a bit over a larger diameter bar which makes it sit a bit differently. The clamps will bend a bit.

nlerner 03-19-23 08:46 AM


Originally Posted by Ged117 (Post 22833565)
I finished rebuilding my '53 AW hub I got for cheap as it was frozen / rusted solid, having been raided for parts and left in a shed for many a year by the PO. Unfortunately, somehow I broke the axle key...I can't grasp how it happened. Re-assembled mechanism installed into the shell / wheel after testing, then I ticked it along and it was suddenly stuck - I opened it up, and a piece of axle key was jammed next to the clutch. It was a replacement part, as the original was missing. Anyone here have an axle key break? Now I need to have it all apart again...bummer.

I've had that happen at least once after a hub rebuild. PITA! Don't know if it was a flaw in the axle key or improper assembly or what.

JohnDThompson 03-19-23 08:49 AM


Originally Posted by Ged117 (Post 22833565)
I finished rebuilding my '53 AW hub I got for cheap as it was frozen / rusted solid, having been raided for parts and left in a shed for many a year by the PO. Unfortunately, somehow I broke the axle key...I can't grasp how it happened. Re-assembled mechanism installed into the shell / wheel after testing, then I ticked it along and it was suddenly stuck - I opened it up, and a piece of axle key was jammed next to the clutch. It was a replacement part, as the original was missing. Anyone here have an axle key break? Now I need to have it all apart again...bummer.

I haven't had an axle key break, but I have had them strip, so they no longer hold the indicator rod. Just as annoying. There's something to be said about the ones that use a two-piece indicator rod that traps the axle key between the two parts of the rod. No need to open the hub if the rod strips; just replace the rod.

thumpism 03-19-23 09:41 AM


Originally Posted by Ged117 (Post 22833565)
...and a piece of axle key was jammed next to the clutch. It was a replacement part, as the original was missing. Anyone here have an axle key break? Now I need to have it all apart again...bummer.

I've found one on a hub being rebuilt, not one of my own.

SirMike1983 03-19-23 04:05 PM

I've had the axle key break. It's annoying but once you get used to taking apart and reassembling the AW hub, it's not a huge set back.

Ged117 03-19-23 04:46 PM

Thanks for the responses, its good to hear that experienced folks have had this happen post-rebuild.

SirMike1983 03-19-23 08:57 PM


Originally Posted by Ged117 (Post 22834305)
Thanks for the responses, its good to hear that experienced folks have had this happen post-rebuild.

I've had them break during the rebuild and I've had one even break when I was testing the hub after putting the wheel back on the bike. The latter was annoying because... off the wheel has to come again, and start over. Perhaps they had hairline cracks around the indicator spindle hole I didn't notice at first. A new key set them right.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.