Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

seedsbelize 04-07-20 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21404986)
Spoiled, entitled, selfish, ignorant people.

Thanks for bringing this up. I was going to post on it anyway. I am the only recreational road cyclist I am aware of, outside of Merida, and one of the few, including Merida. I haven't been riding at all these past couple weeks, in part because I"ve been doing a good bit of aerobic yardwork, and in part because I don't want to be seen as 'that guy'. But, with the new prognosis of another month of lockdown, I was telling my wife that I don't think I can hold out that long. She suggested I wear a mask. Good idea! A costume. To not be seen as flaunting/endangering. I will begin by doing evening rides, returning home after dark. I pretty much had to give those rides up, over the years, as traffic became untenable.
Of course I will cross paths, immediately, with the police operating the checkpoints, and will be advised one way or the other whether they approve.
Looking forward to it.

WhyFi 04-07-20 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21405410)
I had an "Impossible Whopper" from Burger King. Tasted a lot like a regular Whopper. I'd do it again.

I've had Impossibles from a few places - some local restaurants, a couple regional chains, and most people are surprised to learn that White Castle has been serving them for a while. They're pretty good, but the differences are more pronounced when they're not dressed up in toppings and condiments. I haven't looked lately, but Impossibles weren't being sold in stores - Beyond Meat is the DIY competitor and they're decently available; Target usually has them on-hand.

Bah Humbug 04-07-20 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21405391)
Ooo-kay.

In Ireland every new driver has to wear a huge "N" decal on their car for two years.

I suspect it's ironic.

WhyFi 04-07-20 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21405417)
Beyond Beef. Not real fun. I am going to put it in a sort of lecso with onions, peppers, tomatoes, and a ton of paprika.

I've only tried them once and I wasn't thrilled with the patty size/thickness. Have not tried the ground variety - is that what you got? If you've used it before, can you shape it like ground beef or does it need additional... work?

MoAlpha 04-07-20 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21405429)
I've only tried them once and I wasn't thrilled with the patty size/thickness. Have not tried the ground variety - is that what you got? If you've used it before, can you shape it like ground beef or does it need additional... work?

We buy it in amorphous lumps, loosely resembling ground beef. The protein, lacking the fibrous structure of muscle, doesn't contract and hold together the way real ground beef does.

WhyFi 04-07-20 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21405421)
Thanks for bringing this up. I was going to post on it anyway. I am the only recreational road cyclist I am aware of, outside of Merida, and one of the few, including Merida. I haven't been riding at all these past couple weeks, in part because I"ve been doing a good bit of aerobic yardwork, and in part because I don't want to be seen as 'that guy'. But, with the new prognosis of another month of lockdown, I was telling my wife that I don't think I can hold out that long. She suggested I wear a mask. Good idea! A costume. To not be seen as flaunting/endangering. I will begin by doing evening rides, returning home after dark. I pretty much had to give those rides up, over the years, as traffic became untenable.
Of course I will cross paths, immediately, with the police operating the checkpoints, and will be advised one way or the other whether they approve.
Looking forward to it.

I think that the discussion in-thread is mostly with regard to group outings. I think that most here are okay or okay-ish with solo riding. Speaking personally, I don't have any reservations, 'specially if it's actual road riding, and not cruising the over-crowded MUPs.

rjones28 04-07-20 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21405404)
Only 640 horsepower. I've driven the Corvettes with a similar engine/supercharger and I always ask myself why anyone would want to drive that thing around. It just begs for trouble.

Because, reasons.

WhyFi 04-07-20 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21405432)
We buy it in amorphous lumps. The protein, lacking the fibrous structure of muscle, doesn't contract and hold together in lumps the way real ground beef does.

Hmmm. That's kind of what I suspected/was afraid of based on their packaging. IIRC, the patties that I tried had to be damn near a half pound - not the bun: patty ratio I'm lookin' for.

abshipp 04-07-20 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21405407)
I'm pretty sure that I found the R3 geo on Cervelo's site when I was shopping it in Dec...

Yep, it's there.

Under some stupid heading called "Specs".

Why on earth would they put it there, along with all the available build kits?

:innocent:

seedsbelize 04-07-20 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by ericy (Post 21405406)
Don't go into a bank dressed like that :eek:

At our local bank, hats and sunglasses are not allowed, because of the cameras. Now there are people going in with masks on. But not hats

seedsbelize 04-07-20 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21405424)
I've had Impossibles from a few places - some local restaurants, a couple regional chains, and most people are surprised to learn that White Castle has been serving them for a while. They're pretty good, but the differences are more pronounced when they're not dressed up in toppings and condiments. I haven't looked lately, but Impossibles weren't being sold in stores - Beyond Meat is the DIY competitor and they're decently available; Target usually has them on-hand.

Boca Burgers for the win

MoAlpha 04-07-20 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21405442)
Hmmm. That's kind of what I suspected/was afraid of based on their packaging. IIRC, the patties that I tried had to be damn near a half pound - not the bun: patty ratio I'm lookin' for.

I don't think it tastes good enough to put on a bun and eat. Maybe with enough ketchup, mustard, onion, pickles, relish, lettuce, mayo...

big john 04-07-20 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21405436)
Because, reasons.

Car mechanic most of my life. Driven thousands of cars. I was a car enthusiast when I was young but could never afford anything fast. Working on the things really killed any lust I had for them. Now I only see the potential for trouble, tickets, expense, etc. I always told people I hate cars when asked about them.
I worked on a lot of monster trucks, too. Not the real monster trucks like in shows, the ones people drive around. Driving those things is so impractical it's ridiculous. I imagine going to the store and trying to park it in a strip mall. When you drive some of them you can't see a car on your right at a traffic light.

abshipp 04-07-20 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21405383)
I felt weird wearing a covering on my face and my glasses kept getting fogged up.

There was a company-wide announcement that masks are now recommended for people to wear.

There were dust masks passed out, I would say 50% of the company is wearing them or some other kind of covering like a bandana. I feel weird wearing one of the dust masks because I don't believe it is actually doing anything useful, and is just overall uncomfortable.

Not sure what to do, because I don't necessarily want to be grouped into the no-mask crowd that have a general "Im not wearing that stupid thing" attitude, but I feel like a total jackass wearing one because it feels like I'm just putting on a show.

seedsbelize 04-07-20 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21405434)
I think that the discussion in-thread is mostly with regard to group outings. I think that most here are okay or okay-ish with solo riding. Speaking personally, I don't have any reservations, 'specially if it's actual road riding, and not cruising the over-crowded MUPs.

There, yes to all of the above.
I live in a different world.
A very different world.
I wasn't looking for support; just mentioning the issues
A different enough world that, after buying off-road tires, and mounting them, I've become reticent to ride off road, due to personal safety concerns. I am wealthy beyond imagination.

WhyFi 04-07-20 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21405458)
Boca Burgers for the win

My wife likes the chicken-ish Boca Burgers, but I don't know that I've tried the meat-ish ones.

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21405466)
I don't think it tastes good enough to put on a bun and eat. Maybe with enough ketchup, mustard, onion, pickles, relish, lettuce, mayo...

They're pretty good with bacon. :innocent:

abshipp 04-07-20 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21405466)

My experiences as well. Best used as a filler, IMO.

LAJ 04-07-20 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21405471)
Car mechanic most of my life. Driven thousands of cars. I was a car enthusiast when I was young but could never afford anything fast. Working on the things really killed any lust I had for them. Now I only see the potential for trouble, tickets, expense, etc. I always told people I hate cars when asked about them.
I worked on a lot of monster trucks, too. Not the real monster trucks like in shows, the ones people drive around. Driving those things is so impractical it's ridiculous. I imagine going to the store and trying to park it in a strip mall. When you drive some of them you can't see a car on your right at a traffic light.

Trucks are the main reason I took a pay cut to come to the dark side. My body thanks me every day. I could feel my knees heading south, even with underhood creepers, and the like. The powers that be didn't discriminate on the heavy stuff, nor did they care about the tech that pulled the illuminated MIL ticket, until that tech hit the profit margin, and they then decided it needed to be fixed.

"It's better, but the check engine light is still on"

seedsbelize 04-07-20 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21405486)
There was a company-wide announcement that masks are now recommended for people to wear.

There were dust masks passed out, I would say 50% of the company is wearing them or some other kind of covering like a bandana. I feel weird wearing one of the dust masks because I don't believe it is actually doing anything useful, and is just overall uncomfortable.

Not sure what to do, because I don't necessarily want to be grouped into the no-mask crowd that have a general "Im not wearing that stupid thing" attitude, but I feel like a total jackass wearing one because it feels like I'm just putting on a show.

Just get over it and wear it. Nothing more really to do.

MoAlpha 04-07-20 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21405491)
My experiences as well. Best used as a filler, IMO.

Protein source.

MoAlpha 04-07-20 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21405383)
I felt weird wearing a covering on my face and my glasses kept getting fogged up.

Yeah, that happens and it's a reminder that the things don't seal well. When I was a med student on my surgery rotations, I learned to tape the mask to my face under each eye.

WhyFi 04-07-20 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21405487)
There, yes to all of the above.
I live in a different world.
A very different world.
I wasn't looking for support; just mentioning the issues
A different enough world that, after buying off-road tires, and mounting them, I've become reticent to ride off road, due to personal safety concerns. I am wealthy beyond imagination.

I'm aware that you live in a different world, I was simply clarifying because much of what you posted seemed a bit non-sequitur.

big john 04-07-20 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21405524)
Yeah, that happens and it's a reminder that the things don't seal well. When I was a med student on my surgery rotations, I learned to tape the mask to my face under each eye.

They want us to wear it to prevent us from spraying droplets, not to protect ourselves. The tape is a good idea, though.

Trsnrtr 04-07-20 12:15 PM

Could one of you mechanics fix my turbo. It crapped out on me 5 miles from home. :D

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6c4003603.jpeg

MoAlpha 04-07-20 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21405544)
They want us to wear it to prevent us from spraying droplets, not to protect ourselves. The tape is a good idea, though.

I'm all in favor of masks, but I have had some trouble finding a clear concept in all the discussion. The big concern at the supermarket etc. seems to be aerosol-size droplets, which are just carried by one's breath and my impression is the mask impedes the flow of breath and causes some of that moisture to precipitate out on the fabric. If that's true, a seal means something, at least.