Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

genejockey 09-28-21 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22248979)
I showed that to my wife who would really like a new bike. In her case, it would be more like $8400. At first, she said, "WTF!" but about ten seconds later, she said, "I could handle that."

Hey, it's cheaper than a new top-of-the-line Aethos.

WhyFi 09-28-21 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22248994)
The problem is, if she out-climbs me and drops my fat butt on a daily basis on her 7 year old Spec Amira with 30,000 miles, I'd never see her again on a new bike.

Then maybe she'll suggest that you get one, too! :D

big john 09-28-21 03:06 PM

My Tuesday ride friends are all out of town on various riding adventures so I rode alone today on my old mtb loop. It was socked in with fog/marine layer so I got soaked on the climb. Put on everything I had for the descent but still got a little cold. A long time since I felt that sensation but it's supposed to go back up near 100 this weekend.

The Strava talk reminded me of being chastised this past Saturday by a guy for not having electronics on my bike. "Oh, just get a Garmin, at least, because yada yada yada". Told him I wasn't interested and he was shocked. "What about your heartrate monitor"? Told him I didn't have one of those, either. "WHAT???" He didn't believe me until I insisted.

Sunday I did my 2 hour spin around the bike path and there is a little park with water and bathrooms and I like to stop there and sit on a bench and have a snack. Another geezer was beginning his ride and he stopped to inform me that I should just keep going because if I sat for a while it would be harder to get going again. He looked at my bike and said something like "You probably know this already". I wanted to tell him I would be ok but he wouldn't shut up until he left.

Mojo31 09-28-21 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22248939)
:(

We are still celebrating Christmas, just in a different manner this year.

Both kids are adults and have everything they want and/or need, so we talked to them to see if they would like to take a family trip together instead of doing Christmas gifts. They said they would like to do so since this will likely be our last "family" vacation with just the four of us (daughter is getting married next fall).

So, we are planning a week in Sedona together as our Christmas present to each other.

sbxx1985 09-28-21 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22248994)
The problem is, if she out-climbs me and drops my fat butt on a daily basis on her 7 year old Spec Amira with 30,000 miles, I'd never see her again on a new bike.

She should do it. That would be awesome.

big john 09-28-21 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22249003)

He just got one.

genejockey 09-28-21 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22249009)
My Tuesday ride friends are all out of town on various riding adventures so I rode alone today on my old mtb loop. It was socked in with fog/marine layer so I got soaked on the climb. Put on everything I had for the descent but still got a little cold. A long time since I felt that sensation but it's supposed to go back up near 100 this weekend.

The Strava talk reminded me of being chastised this past Saturday by a guy for not having electronics on my bike. "Oh, just get a Garmin, at least, because yada yada yada". Told him I wasn't interested and he was shocked. "What about your heartrate monitor"? Told him I didn't have one of those, either. "WHAT???" He didn't believe me until I insisted.

Sunday I did my 2 hour spin around the bike path and there is a little park with water and bathrooms and I like to stop there and sit on a bench and have a snack. Another geezer was beginning his ride and he stopped to inform me that I should just keep going because if I sat for a while it would be harder to get going again. He looked at my bike and said something like "You probably know this already". I wanted to tell him I would be ok but he wouldn't shut up until he left.

On my C&V bikes, I really like the 'clean bar and stem' aesthetic, so I initially rode them without my Garmin*. Now that I have the Varia, though, it feels irresponsible to ride without it.

* I'm still a data junkie, so when I rode without it on the bars, I stuffed it in my jersey.

Velo Vol 09-28-21 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22248993)
You spent several posts attempting to demonstrate that the distance from you to any ocean was too large for you to be on ANY coast. Maps and all.

Find one.

WhyFi 09-28-21 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22249017)
He just got one.

Another one. A 2022 R5.

Come on, now, N+1 isn't difficult math. ;)

Velo Vol 09-28-21 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22249012)

Both kids are adults and have everything they want and/or need, so we talked to them to see if they would like to take a family trip together instead of doing Christmas gifts. They said they would like to do so since this will likely be our last "family" vacation with just the four of us (daughter is getting married next fall).

So, we are planning a week in Sedona together as our Christmas present to each other.

I meant decorations, not presents.

LAJ 09-28-21 03:13 PM

You spent several posts attempting to demonstrate that the distance from you to any ocean was too large for you to be on ANY coast. Maps and all.

WRT 'assigning' people from the Central and Mountain time zones, maybe we should let them choose whose team they want to be on?

You must be new here.

genejockey 09-28-21 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22249022)
Find one.

Tell you what - let's ask the group.

HEY!!! Anyone else remember VV insisting he didn't live on the East Coast?

LesterOfPuppets 09-28-21 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22249009)

A clean cockpit is paramount.

LAJ 09-28-21 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22249028)
Tell you what - let's ask the group.

HEY!!! Anyone else remember VV insisting he didn't live on the East Coast?

I'm not new here.

Trsnrtr 09-28-21 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22249003)

I doubt that would do any good. I outweigh her by 75-80 pounds and she doesn't have near the health problems. :innocent:

Seriously, she's very savvy about bikes and what she likes, make that picky about bikes. I'd have to drive or fly to Colorado so she could go hands-on with it before she would commit to buying one. Charts and graphs and a three-part harmony just wouldn't cut it for her.

genejockey 09-28-21 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22249012)

Back in 1967, my parents planned the last big family vacation for all 8 of us. We drove from PA up to Montreal, in the 66 Ford wagon with a pop-up camper. But my oldest sister threw them a curve and got married before we left, so it was just 7 of us.

Trsnrtr 09-28-21 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22249017)
He just got one.

So?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...59009e7b8f.jpg

genejockey 09-28-21 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22249029)
A clean cockpit is paramount.

What if you have a Paramount, but the cockpit isn't clean?

genejockey 09-28-21 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22249036)
So?

Excellent point.

genejockey 09-28-21 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22249034)
I doubt that would do any good. I outweigh her by 75-80 pounds and she doesn't have near the health problems. :innocent:

Seriously, she's very savvy about bikes and what she likes, make that picky about bikes. I'd have to drive or fly to Colorado so she could go hands-on with it before she would commit to buying one. Charts and graphs and a three-part harmony just wouldn't cut it for her.

At that price, the airfare and hotel are only a small fraction of the total cost. It's almost like buying a car you haven't driven.

sbxx1985 09-28-21 03:20 PM

I was in Excel a few years when they were closing out the Cervelos at the end of the season. There was someone there from Wyoming on a test ride.

Fun trip for you and the wife.

Trsnrtr 09-28-21 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22249044)
At that price, the airfare and hotel are only a small fraction of the total cost. It's almost like buying a car you haven't driven.

You guys are all so helpful. :rolleyes:

big john 09-28-21 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22249024)
Another one. A 2022 R5.

Come on, now, N+1 isn't difficult math. ;)

You don't have to convince me but Mrs.Trainsnorter might have a different view.
Long ago when I was married to a cyclist we alternated N+1. She didn't play by the rule though when she gifted herself a new Juliana full squish bike just before she left. She stole my turn.

BillyD 09-28-21 03:22 PM

That is not my recollection either. I recollect him insisting he is quasi-east coast, even though he is clearly land locked like a mf.

big john 09-28-21 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22249036)
So?

Can't argue with that.