Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

LesterOfPuppets 02-09-22 04:21 PM

I thought that was odd to see 3 posts on Betty Davis today. Died at the age of 77. RIP.


Eric F 02-09-22 04:29 PM

Took me a while to get around to it today.
Wordle 235 4/6

⬛🟨⬛⬛🟩
⬛⬛🟨🟨🟩
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

abshipp 02-09-22 04:30 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22404605)
Looks like a nice day

Indeed. Calm, sunny, 60F. Very clear air so climbing to get some views is really rewarding. Maybe the farthest I've ever been able to see at the top of our local mountain.

I felt slightly overdressed with shorts, summer jersey, and base layer.

Trsnrtr 02-09-22 04:36 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22404622)
I felt slightly overdressed with shorts, summer jersey, and base layer.

Sure, rub it in.

seedsbelize2 02-09-22 04:46 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22404612)
The movie is almost over and I still dont get it. I know the theory but cant reconcile it with the movie in my pea brain.

Maybe I'll see if I can find it. Any gratuitous violence?

BillyD 02-09-22 04:48 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22404414)
That's Steve - an old industry friend of mine. He worked at Singer in the early days, before I did. We chatted a lot and played with all of the new toys whenever he popped in to the shop and I'm pretty sure that our conversations made it in to a least of couple of his articles for Stereophile.

I met him once too when he popped into my favorite store on 45 street off 5th Av, I forget the name of the place now.

I resisted switching to CDs for a long time, in fact my CD collection is still rather paltry by my friend's standards. I have a bazillion cassette tapes, though, and I also embraced TF out of MP3.

big john 02-09-22 04:49 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22404628)
Sure, rub it in.


seedsbelize2 02-09-22 04:49 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22404613)
I thought that was odd to see 3 posts on Betty Davis today. Died at the age of 77. RIP.

https://youtu.be/W8b4hPEN05I

I thought she was (considerably) older than that.
Edit: Perhaps a different Betty Davis

big john 02-09-22 04:55 PM

Here is the hill where the hang gliders take off. The flat area in the foreground is their landing area. Those houses are pre-fabs on leased land. Several of them burned down in the last fire in these hills a few years ago. There is a dam in between the two hills.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fd30d1dd69.jpg
This is the hill to the left. It's where I ride to the top from home. There is a fire station up there @4000 feet. The building with the blue roof is part of the hang glider facility.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0ef2575af4.jpg

Eric F 02-09-22 05:00 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22404656)
Here is the hill where the hang gliders take off. The flat area in the foreground is their landing area. Those houses are pre-fabs on leased land. Several of them burned down in the last fire in these hills a few years ago. There is a dam in between the two hills.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fd30d1dd69.jpg

Where dis?

rjones28 02-09-22 05:08 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22404219)

There is probably a Radio Shack version of that, somewhere in the rjones28 electronics museum.

rjones28 02-09-22 05:10 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22404250)
I still have a walkman, but only one tape. Bird calls.

Also, likely to be one of those around here. And the CD version too.

abshipp 02-09-22 05:17 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22404628)
Sure, rub it in.

Any time :D

Velo Vol 02-09-22 05:22 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22404552)

^ ^ ^ saves a dead end sign. Clever.

WhyFi 02-09-22 05:22 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22404645)
I met him once too when he popped into my favorite store on 45 street off 5th Av, I forget the name of the place now.

I resisted switching to CDs for a long time, in fact my CD collection is still rather paltry by my friend's standards. I have a bazillion cassette tapes, though, and I also embraced TF out of MP3.

Steve is good people, but he's certainly got some eccentricities.... not uncommon in the industry. :lol:

Yeah, I don't have any physical CDs left, but a big library on the server. Recently got a new little DAC/headphone amp - it sounds really good on my phone and with my (not terribly special) headphones. I'm tempted to get some better headphones now. Nothing wallet-busting, though, a couple hundred bucks, at best.

Trsnrtr 02-09-22 05:30 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22404643)
Maybe I'll see if I can find it. Any gratuitous violence?

A little but mostly a lot of f-bombs.

MoAlpha 02-09-22 05:40 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22404689)
Steve is good people, but he's certainly got some eccentricities.... not uncommon in the industry. :lol:

Yeah, I don't have any physical CDs left, but a big library on the server. Recently got a new little DAC/headphone amp - it sounds really good on my phone and with my (not terribly special) headphones. I'm tempted to get some better headphones now. Nothing wallet-busting, though, a couple hundred bucks, at best.

LSS subscribes us to Apple Music. It has major design problems, especially for classical music, but its got a very good catalog and hi-res streaming, and its allowing me to round out my musical education late in life and have lots of crap to listen to on the trainer. I now only download music for travel.

Velo Vol 02-09-22 05:48 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22404689)
Yeah, I don't have any physical CDs left

Sad.

Mojo31 02-09-22 05:51 PM

Velo Vol style.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...680c870101.jpg

rjones28 02-09-22 05:57 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22404340)
Nope. I still got one of these from back in the day. Only $15.00? wut

https://www.shopthesalvationarmy.com...-System-PCX500

I still got one of these from back in the day...

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a5ca183339.png

...haven't used it in a while.

rjones28 02-09-22 05:58 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22404351)
Frequently.

So you say...

big john 02-09-22 06:10 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22404660)
Where dis?

Kinda the end of Maclay street. I was standing near the little league fields of S.I.B.L. East of the 210 north of the 118.

The hang gliders drive up Little Tujunga to the first summit and turn off on a dirt road to get to the top. I've driven up there with my old 4x4 and I'm surprised those big vans can get up there.

rjones28 02-09-22 06:11 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22404578)
Yes.

I just looked in the rjones28 tape library. We seem to have at least one of each brand. Even Scotch.

bampilot06 02-09-22 06:11 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22404622)
Indeed. Calm, sunny, 60F. Very clear air so climbing to get some views is really rewarding. Maybe the farthest I've ever been able to see at the top of our local mountain.

I felt slightly overdressed with shorts, summer jersey, and base layer.


I drew a complete blank and had no idea what to wear. Short sleeve jersey, rapha brevet wind thing, short bibs and bontrager tights.
Had light fleece gloves on but ripped those off after the first hill.
It was one of those weird days in the sun I was on the hot side but in the shade I was in the cold day.

Had a great ride today, we were doing the William and Mary road course which the race is next Saturday. Worked on sprints and hills. I missed the first 2 rounds so only got two sprint attempts in and 2 hill climbs. My sprinting sucks, but I didnt get dropped. They would pull away from me and I would be able to maintain the distance they initially got on me. Basically the beat me at the jump point both times. The first hill climb I blew past everyone during the initial stage but I was redlining. The grade goes significantly down but I didnt have anything left, HR was at 184. They flew past me, and I couldnt catch them again until they stopped. Whyfi has seen the hill once, its a doozy, I am sure LAJ would just laugh at it.

LesterOfPuppets 02-09-22 06:15 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22404730)
I just looked in the rjones28 tape library. We seem to have at least one of each brand. Even Scotch.

Any ATR Magnetics?

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...g?format=2500w


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:47 PM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.