Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

bampilot06 02-16-22 06:42 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22411834)
Real life, actual, on the road crit? You're braver than I am.

Sorry about the brake rub. I already gave you the only advice I had. I have almost exactly the opposite problem - long free stroke. It's really jarring going from my rim brake bikes to the disk bike, especially because I like to keep my pads really close to the rim.


Real road crit. Itís at Langley speedway, so literally around a big circle.

Mojo31 02-16-22 06:44 PM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22411810)
Most of my morning 20ish mile rides are in the 700-1000 range depending on the route. If I tried hard I could probably double that, but the route would be a bunch of up and down parallel roads.

gotta do at least 30 to get decent elevation just because of the distance to get to the bigger hills.

Same here re parallel roads. There are times I'll ride in circles just to get some up hill segments in.

There is one local stretch that has some better rollers, but its been torn up for resurfacing. The work recently finished, so I'm anxious to get back on it. Weather has not been cooperating though when I've been in town. New, smooth asphalt should be nice.

genejockey 02-16-22 06:52 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22411840)
Real road crit. Itís at Langley speedway, so literally around a big circle.

That's probably safer than downtown or office park crit. Fewer potholes, no hard, sharp curbs, no streetlight poles to run into.

bampilot06 02-16-22 06:57 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22411852)
That's probably safer than downtown or office park crit. Fewer potholes, no hard, sharp curbs, no streetlight poles to run into.

I think the only danger will be myself.

Mojo31 02-16-22 07:01 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22411857)
I think the only danger will be myself.

Good luck!

If you go out, make sure you go out big! 😜

phrantic09 02-16-22 07:01 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22411841)
Same here re parallel roads. There are times I'll ride in circles just to get some up hill segments in.

There is one local stretch that has some better rollers, but its been torn up for resurfacing. The work recently finished, so I'm anxious to get back on it. Weather has not been cooperating though when I've been in town. New, smooth asphalt should be nice.

We can get some good climbs here, a few 1000 foot climbs to be found and heading the other side of the Hudson getting 100 feet per mile is pretty easy.

My favorite is about 1000 feet over 2.3 miles. Itís pretty fun

bampilot06 02-16-22 07:05 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22411863)
Good luck!

If you go out, make sure you go out big! 😜


When I lose, at least I can blame it on break run. Sheesh. It was just a little annoying before. Then I tried to fix it and now itís bad. Some how I made it worse.

big john 02-16-22 07:35 PM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22411566)
I would say "missed out" is a bit of a stretch.

That Lumina is a bit of a stretch.

Velo Vol 02-16-22 07:41 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22411852)
That's probably safer than downtown or office park crit.

A Velo Vol office park crit would be epic.

big john 02-16-22 07:51 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22411593)

Caltech did it better.
http://a.scpr.org/i/b7ef3b2c42d3588e...8971-eight.jpg

Velo Vol 02-16-22 08:00 PM

Porsche picture of the day.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dadc392c9c.png

Thrasher36 02-16-22 08:01 PM

I thought it was snow

Mojo31 02-16-22 08:21 PM

A memorial ceremony should be held. Sad.

rjones28 02-16-22 08:25 PM

Sad

big john 02-16-22 08:29 PM

Passed these rocks today.
https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...4nljEySg/o.jpg
The area looks like this except today there was a bit of snow higher up.
https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.2...=0&w=507&h=176
Anyway just 3 of us did the ride and it was nice.

LesterOfPuppets 02-16-22 08:44 PM

Ladies' gym pic of the day. Check out that shag carpet!

https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...7Q&oe=6212AF59

Mojo31 02-16-22 09:06 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22411926)
Ladies' gym pic of the day. Check out that shag carpet!

https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...7Q&oe=6212AF59

You hanging with the guy with the Cowboys?

seedsbelize2 02-16-22 09:10 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22411835)
Who these days thinks thats a smart thing to do? People are incredibly stupid.

"I'm just so easily led when Little Head does the thinkin" -------John Hiatt

WhyFi 02-16-22 09:42 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22411824)
Officially signed up for my first crit today. Already nervous about it.

:bday:


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22411824)
I cannot get my front disc on the cervelo to stop rubbing. I have tried everything. I even took the pads out a pressed in the pistons. Iíve tried loosening the caliper and re centering it, I donít know what else to do.

Pads prolly need to be replaced soon too.

If you've tried all of that, and you've done a semi-competent job of it, then I'd be looking for a bit of rotor runout/warp. If you spin the wheel in the stand, will the rotor audibly kiss the pads? If so, do your best to locate that high spot and then give it a little tweak with a rotor truing lever or with an adjustable wrench. Be gentle if they're Shimano IceTech - they don't need a lot of persuading.

genejockey 02-16-22 11:00 PM

I re-did the Half Monty tonight. Last time I did it, it gave me an FTP of 228, which is 28w less than I got from the last Ramp Test I did on Zwift, which was disappointing. So, last night I did a workout called "Primers", which is supposed to be good for big efforts the next day. And tonight I did "Igniter" as a warmup. Of course, this was all based on a FTP of 228, so they were easier than they would have been.

The Half Monty consists of a Ramp done in Erg Mode, and then a 20 minute sub-threshold ride done in "level" mode where you have an HR target to maintain.

So, comparing last week and this week, I went one step farther on the Ramp. On the 20 minute sub-threshold effort, the HR targets were the same as last week, but I ended up putting out about 26 more watts for 20 minutes to maintain it. The overall result was that my new FTP is 250w, 22 watts higher than last week and only about 6 w less than I'd done on Zwift. When I looked at HR and power, it was interesting - my max HR was just the same, but I hit it at 346W instead of 333. And as I said, I had to put out 26 more average w to maintain exactly the same average HR.

It does make me wonder. I doubt I've magically grown 22 w worth of FTP in 7 days, but higher power at the same HR, compared with 7 days ago is intriguing.

genejockey 02-16-22 11:02 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22411957)
:bday:



If you've tried all of that, and you've done a semi-competent job of it, then I'd be looking for a bit of rotor runout/warp. If you spin the wheel in the stand, will the rotor audibly kiss the pads? If so, do your best to locate that high spot and then give it a little tweak with a rotor truing lever or with an adjustable wrench. Be gentle if they're Shimano IceTech - they don't need a lot of persuading.

I find a nice bright bit of floor, and look through the caliper at just the right angle to see the gap on both sides of the rotor. The spin the wheel and see if the rotor appears to wobble between them.

ls01 02-17-22 04:52 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22411824)
Officially signed up for my first crit today. Already nervous about it.

I cannot get my front disc on the cervelo to stop rubbing. I have tried everything. I even took the pads out a pressed in the pistons. Iíve tried loosening the caliper and re centering it, I donít know what else to do.

Pads prolly need to be replaced soon too.

replace the pads and measure the rotor thickness. Pistons might be out further than they can compensate for, so they kinda hang out there in space. That's why there's rubbing. Excessively worn rotor will present the same. Pistons have to move so far out to make contact they can't retract enough to clear the rotor.

indyfabz 02-17-22 04:53 AM

Wordle to your mother.

Wordle 243 3/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

indyfabz 02-17-22 05:22 AM

Happy National Cabbage Day!

bampilot06 02-17-22 07:19 AM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22412059)
replace the pads and measure the rotor thickness. Pistons might be out further than they can compensate for, so they kinda hang out there in space. That's why there's rubbing. Excessively worn rotor will present the same. Pistons have to move so far out to make contact they can't retract enough to clear the rotor.


This makes sense. And both the front and the back are doing it, so I wonder if they are both just worn. 8891 miles on them.
I was hoping to get new tires before the race but brakes are kind of important.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:18 PM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.