Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

datlas 07-18-22 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22578770)
Don't pick on the boy.

Seemed a harmless little ****.

datlas 07-18-22 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22578777)

Filtering out Pearl Jam lyrics? That's just not right.

big john 07-18-22 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22578777)

Yeah? How's your jaw? Hurtin'?

big john 07-18-22 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22578779)
Filtering out Pearl Jam lyrics? That's just not right.

B side to Jeremy.

genejockey 07-18-22 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22578748)

No Egrets.

genejockey 07-18-22 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22578775)
A Blue Heron was eating the fish from a koi pond of a guy I worked with. He thought it was the dog until he put up a camera. He showed me a pic of the thing on a wire, it was huge.

I saw one on a ride recently, in a completely unexpected place - a road with no pond or creek nearby. I suppose it's possible there were frogs or some such down in the gullies beside the road, but in June, in NorCal, I kinda doubt it. He was in the middle of the road when I came around a corner. He took off and perched in a tree as I passed.

datlas 07-18-22 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22578784)
Yeah? How's your jaw? Hurtin'?

Try to erase this from the blackboard.

Eric F 07-18-22 02:03 PM

Great? Nah. Mediocre, at best.

Mojo31 07-18-22 02:17 PM

That is a really fine image!

ls01 07-18-22 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22578770)
Don't pick on the boy.

just a harmless little f#@(!

genejockey 07-18-22 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22578795)
Great? Nah. Mediocre, at best.

"Today's Bird Of The Day is a lesser member of the Heron family, The Barely Acceptable Blue Heron"

ls01 07-18-22 02:29 PM

Had one heck of a vacation week last week. Lots of riding. Saturdays 74 miler was the hardest I've done in years, I was gutted afterwards. Hammys spasmed twice afterwards. Once while I was on my knees swapping out freshly waxed chains. Holy BALLS that hurts. Probably shouldn't have done the metric the day before.... Think it's something to do with not being used to the new position on the bike. I can feel my hamstrings working now, definitely feels more balanced.
As per normal too . Got back to work today and found out we have a new Manager @ our location. Always when I'm away.... predictable....

Mojo31 07-18-22 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22578745)
Amazed I can still podium, what with training on the flats at a parkinsonian snail's pace 4-5 days a week.

I just have to ask because I'm afraid it may hit a little too close to home, but how fast is a "parkinsonian snail's pace?"

genejockey 07-18-22 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22578838)
Had one heck of a vacation week last week. Lots of riding. Saturdays 74 miler was the hardest I've done in years, I was gutted afterwards. Hammy spasmed twice. Once while I was on my knees swapping out freshly waxed chains. Holy BALLS that hurts. Probably shouldn't have done the metric the day before.... Think it's something to do with not being used to the new position on the bike. I can feel my hamstrings working now, definitely feels more balanced.
As per normal too . Got back to work today and found out we have a new Manager @ our location. Always when I'm away.... predictable....

A couple weeks back, I got THE WORST hamstring cramps I'd ever had. Sitting at the dining room table after a long ride, I pulled my right foot back to stand up and WHAM!!!! I straightened that leg and went to stand up using my left leg and WHAM!!! It cramped up. And they kept spasming for about a minute while I managed to get myself vertical so I could bend over to straighten them, all the while cursing and grunting and, I must confess, whimpering quite a bit. Luckily nobody else was there. Mrs. GeneJockey is a lovely woman, with many great qualities, but staying calm when faced with something like that is NOT one of them.

The right one hurt a bit for some days after

datlas 07-18-22 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22578838)
Had one heck of a vacation week last week. Lots of riding. Saturdays 74 miler was the hardest I've done in years, I was gutted afterwards. Hammys spasmed twice afterwards. Once while I was on my knees swapping out freshly waxed chains. Holy BALLS that hurts. Probably shouldn't have done the metric the day before.... Think it's something to do with not being used to the new position on the bike. I can feel my hamstrings working now, definitely feels more balanced.

Gotta get some Kinks in when we can....

Mojo31 07-18-22 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22578851)
A couple weeks back, I got THE WORST hamstring cramps I'd ever had. Sitting at the dining room table after a long ride, I pulled my right foot back to stand up and WHAM!!!! I straightened that leg and went to stand up using my left leg and WHAM!!! It cramped up. And they kept spasming for about a minute while I managed to get myself vertical so I could bend over to straighten them, all the while cursing and grunting and, I must confess, whimpering quite a bit. Luckily nobody else was there. Mrs. GeneJockey is a lovely woman, with many great qualities, but staying calm when faced with something like that is NOT one of them.

Mine just asks if the life insurance premium is current.

MoAlpha 07-18-22 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22578847)
I just have to ask because I'm afraid it may hit a little too close to home, but how fast is a "parkinsonian snail's pace?"

Oh, about 15 mph avg. on rolling terrain and a little more on the flats. These are really HR-capped rides, so the pace and the power numbers vary a bit from day to day based on form, temperature, etc.

I find it very pleasant and I'm nice and fresh for my couple of fast group rides per week. It also hasn't made me any slower, but they say that gains in metabolic fitness don't really become noticeable for about six months.

datlas 07-18-22 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22578851)

I often get crippling cramps after a long ride. It's quite unpleasant but I figure it's the price I pay for riding. If they are bad, I am sore for a few days after.

indyfabz 07-18-22 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22578708)
Los Lobos can do just about anything.
Los Lobos - La Bamba (Original Videoclip) - YouTube

Several years ago I saw them do an unplugged show of their more traditional songs. Great performance. Also saw them in the 90s after they released Kiko.

big john 07-18-22 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22578886)
I often get crippling cramps after a long ride. It's quite unpleasant but I figure it's the price I pay for riding. If they are bad, I am sore for a few days after.

If I've been riding a lot I rarely get cramps. I have had those awful hamstring cramps while driving, though, when I had the old Blazer. It was a manual trans and my knee had to go past the steering wheel to release the clutch, so hammy cramps were a real treat after a hard, hot ride. I tried to time the traffic lights and power shift the thing.

If you go out to dinner with a group of riders you can always tell when one of them gets a hammy cramp. They get that pained look as their leg shoots out and their chair goes back. Everyone knows immediately.

Mojo31 07-18-22 03:52 PM

Looking forward to cooler weather later this week.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bc036acedf.jpg

MoAlpha 07-18-22 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22578886)

You need a more expensive sports drink or maybe a few shots of Botox.

Last two seasons I would stupidly crew for Capt. LSS in the afternoon after really hard group rides. Every time she tacked the boat and I put my foot up on the cockpit bench to grind the sheet winch, I’d immediately get a hamstring cramp. Then I’d hunch over to stretch it and my recti abdominis would go into agonizing spasm. I finally figured out what a bad idea that was.

Mojo31 07-18-22 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22578978)
You need a more expensive sports drink or maybe a few shots of Botox.

Last two seasons I would stupidly crew for Capt. LSS in the afternoon after really hard group rides. Every time she tacked the boat and I put my foot up on the cockpit bench to grind the sheet winch, I’d immediately get a hamstring cramp. Then I’d hunch over to stretch it and my recti abdominis would go into agonizing spasm. I finally figured out what a bad idea that was.

Enlist Otto's help and let LSS grind. Duh.

She's already been long suffering, so what's a bit more?

MoAlpha 07-18-22 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22578980)
Enlist Otto's help and let LSS grind. Duh.

She's already been long suffering, so what's a bit more?

Well, we now have a working AP, but it won’t stay down for speed and come up gradually as the foils begin to bite, like the skipper do.:love:

Eric F 07-18-22 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22578939)
If you go out to dinner with a group of riders you can always tell when one of them gets a hammy cramp. They get that pained look as their leg shoots out and their chair goes back. Everyone knows immediately.

This made me literally LOL. Been there. Done that.

What's fun is trying to keep a poker face when it happens while out to dinner at a nice restaurant with the wife.