Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

genejockey 07-27-20 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21609786)
Guess who makes garden hoses!

I always said riding Gatorskins was just like riding garden hoses.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...417e8df921.jpg

You have to get the 'Handmade In Germany' garden hose for best results.

genejockey 07-27-20 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21609837)
Only dicks of a certain demographic. Around here, Krautmobiles of every type seem to contain more than their share of malignant *******s, male and female. From the description, I suspect the driver who smashed me from behind and ran off was operating a Merc SUV.

As far as I can remember, I've only been yelled at from pickups. Getting squeezed, or cut off, or otherwise put at risk, however, has been much more 'equal opportunity'.

SwtBadger 07-27-20 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21609576)
Kudos.

We have a hotel room booked in La Crosse in a few weeks for my wife's birthday, but we're still undecided on whether it's a wise idea to go or not. Our possible COVID exposure scare kind of made us thing about the risk in a bit different way.

Thus the cabin, short duration with only a single destination, all activities including eating will be outdoors etc... Planned activities of biking, hiking and possibly kayaking are fine by me, but safer at home kids probably not so much.

LesterOfPuppets 07-27-20 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21609834)
Uh oh! Professional baseball is in big trouble.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/27/s...gtype=Homepage

Well that was a nice Saturday watching baseball. The way they were acting I figured there'd be a breakout somewhere.

SwtBadger 07-27-20 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21609630)
Good chance the matches are canceled, anyway.

Affirmative, the University of La Crosse women's lacrosse team has no matches occurring soon. Sadly there is no UW-La Crosse official men's lacrosse team.

BillyD 07-27-20 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21609857)
Well that was a nice Saturday watching baseball. The way they were acting I figured there'd be a breakout somewhere.

If one of those guys dies, heads will roll.

SwtBadger 07-27-20 02:05 PM

Football is in big trouble if baseball can't make it through one weekend. At least twice as many players, interaction between teams, etc. Rosters may end up resembling those of the strike years when they used replacement players.

MoAlpha 07-27-20 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21609850)
As far as I can remember, I've only been yelled at from pickups. Getting squeezed, or cut off, or otherwise put at risk, however, has been much more 'equal opportunity'.

I might have yelled first, once or twice. :innocent:

Trsnrtr 07-27-20 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21609712)
I didnít even go in the house after this ride, left my work laptop out on the patio and came straight here when I got home. Been about 30 minutes and still dripping

We had a cold front coming through and bringing rain by 11 so I took advantage of the cooler temps (upper 70s) and cloudy skies to squeeze a quick ride in. However, relative humidity was 83% and felt like 100. It started raining the last 4 miles or so of my ride and actually felt refreshing. :D

genejockey 07-27-20 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21609889)
I might have yelled first, once or twice. :innocent:

You mean like that time I was coming downhill at 35 mph approaching a curve where the road narrows, and the big Merc sedan sitting at the stop sign decides to pull out in front of me? I yelled so loud the car slowed down and one of the back doors opened almost in time for me to hit it.

Trsnrtr 07-27-20 02:14 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/27/s...gtype=Homepage

Oh, fudge. I really do think we are doomed.

Trsnrtr 07-27-20 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by SwtBadger (Post 21609880)
Football is in big trouble if baseball can't make it through one weekend. At least twice as many players, interaction between teams, etc. Rosters may end up resembling those of the strike years when they used replacement players.

As an aside, our state athletic association has cancelled ALL Fall sports. No HS football, cross country, etc.

genejockey 07-27-20 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21609872)

If MLB has to shut down again after false starting, heads will already be rolling.

I heard a quote that seems apropos - "Sports are the reward for having a functioning society". I'm not sure we're there yet.

Trsnrtr 07-27-20 02:21 PM

WhyFi I finally got all of the parts and the nerve to disassemble my espresso machine and lo and behold, the three way solenoid was plugged. The boiler had way more scale in it than I would have imagined in 9 weeks.

I'm going to start using bottled water. I keep my machine in my work room in the basement and have been using water from the bathroom sink. I'm thinking the plumbing isn't hooked up the soft water and I can't check because my lines all under plaster ceilings though I guess that i could have the water checked for hardness.

Anyway, machine functions fine, now.

Velo Vol 07-27-20 02:23 PM

That's a shame.

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21609850)

I get yelled at from vehicles of all shapes and sizes. I'm an equal opportunity yellee.

Originally Posted by SwtBadger (Post 21609869)
Affirmative, the University of La Crosse women's lacrosse team has no matches occurring soon. Sadly there is no UW-La Crosse official men's lacrosse team.

Sexist.

phrantic09 07-27-20 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21609912)
As an aside, our state athletic association has cancelled ALL Fall sports. No HS football, cross country, etc.

Districts around here have started to release their plans, most are doing K-5 full time with 6+ going to school 1 day per week on a rotating 6 day schedule.

Itís idiotic and ass backwards in my opinion. The students least likely to keep their masks on and social distance are the ones they are bringing in full time. We take a lot of precautions to keep them safe (and us in turn) but Iím sure 50% of these kids donít have parents as diligent as we are.

Bah Humbug 07-27-20 02:26 PM

Itíll be interesting to chart the spread, but yeah, it seems like all the chatter about how teams will perform is just smoke.

Bah Humbug 07-27-20 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21609760)
My glasses are large.​​​​​

I remember that selfie you posted.

https://www.sooshell.com/wp-content/...V400-Gafas.jpg

indyfabz 07-27-20 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21609872)

And it just had to happen after playing in Philly. It will be interesting to see if the Phillies have a cluster.

Bah Humbug 07-27-20 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by SwtBadger (Post 21609856)
Thus the cabin, short duration with only a single destination, all activities including eating will be outdoors etc... Planned activities of biking, hiking and possibly kayaking are fine by me, but safer at home kids probably not so much.

Hawai'i is going to allow isolation within resort grounds... but we'd still have to fly there. Eff me.

indyfabz 07-27-20 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by SwtBadger (Post 21609869)

We spent a night across the river from La Crosse while riding across the country. I rode across the river, found a big bar and had a good burger.

big john 07-27-20 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21609573)
Pickups are the vehicle of choice for Dicks, but that doesnít mean those are the only types that buy them.

In fact before my most recent purchase last year I briefly considered one. Then I realized what company that would put me in and QUICKLY CHANGED MY MIND. :lol:

I've had 5 of them but I don't have one now.

BillyD 07-27-20 03:00 PM

I don't think football has a chance, they're deluding themselves.

seedsbelize 07-27-20 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21609519)

Just like Mo's shipment in two places at once. It goes into the system and there is no protocol for futzing with said system. Better it goes back to Taiwan, and then back to Knoxville. My wife tried to downgrade our Costco membership, from the black card to the white one, and there was just no way it could be done.

seedsbelize 07-27-20 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21609406)
I've gotten that way about doing any kind of ride in the past, then when I finally went for a ride it felt like the best idea ever. I guess you can try it one night and if you're not feeling good about it after 2 miles, turn around an then you've only wasted 20 mins or so.

Same. But I know that as soon as I throw my leg over the saddle, it will all be good. And I'm always right.