Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

MoAlpha 04-17-20 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21423751)
You were not paying attention. She currently lives and rides in Knoxville.

She is quite cute based on her picture BTW.

And Zwift is just for cycling and running. There may be apps for other activities.

Velo Vol 04-17-20 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21423751)
You were not paying attention. She currently lives and rides in Knoxville.

She is quite cute based on her picture BTW.

If I don't stand up for real miles, no one will.

<get her to join the Strava group so I can stalk her>

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21423773)
fify

Harsh but fair.

WhyFi 04-17-20 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21423811)
Harsh but fair.

:roflmao2:

WhyFi 04-17-20 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21423794)
I am sorry you had to witness that. Were you in school at the time watching with a bunch of classmates?

I was in Texas when Columbia broke up overhead, but I was much too North for it to be seen. Glad my only memory of seeing the Shuttle was watching one re-enter one evening on a vacation to Galveston.

I'll be watching live if I can. I watched the first Falcon Heavy flight on a live-stream and it was so incredibly moving, and weirdly emotional.

If it helps ease some anxiety, Challenger STS-51-L was the 25th flight of the Shuttle, not including the 5 test flights. Falcon 9 has flown 86 times, and has only experienced one total vehicle loss.

Naturally, the pucker factor increases when you strap people to the top of any rocket, but SpaceX really seems to have their stuff together.

That said, it can be argued that the confidence inspired by the Shuttle's perfect track record previous to STS-51-L was a contributor to the eventual loss, SpaceX has never flown humans so it can be assumed that they are going to take no chances at all. They hopefully won't have any complacency in the system culture like what was going on before the Challenger disaster. I think we can assume that the booster will be brand-new, fresh out of the box, too :D

Yeah, 3rd grade.

And yeah, we've been watching some of the launches and yeah, they are oddly emotional. Those damn reusable rockets touching down cleanly get me every time.

Anyway, I've already told my boy about it. He's excited. If it were to go south, he would still hear about it, see it and be crestfallen anyway; I don't know that watching live would make disaster any worse, but it might just make success more thrilling.

datlas 04-17-20 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21423811)
<get her to join the Strava group so I can stalk her>

From her Strava feed, she started her most recent ride just south of Stanley Lippencott Park. Know where that is??

If this poor young woman somehow disappears, we will have to alert the authorities to put Velo Vol on the list of suspects.

abshipp 04-17-20 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21423827)
Yeah, 3rd grade.

And yeah, we've been watching some of the launches and yeah, they are oddly emotional. Those damn reusable rockets touching down cleanly get me every time.

Anyway, I've already told my boy about it. He's excited. If it were to go south, he would still hear about it, see it and be crestfallen anyway; I don't know that watching live would make disaster any worse, but it might just make success more thrilling.

One of my favorite documentaries is a 5 part Discovery production called "When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions". I seriously get all watery-eyed at most of the crewed launch footage. And there's a lot of it in that series :lol:.

Did you watch the recent "Apollo 11"? I got to see it in IMAX, and ho. lee. sheet. was it incredible.

WhyFi 04-17-20 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21423839)
Did you watch the recent "Apollo 11"? I got to see it in IMAX, and ho. lee. sheet. was it incredible.

I have not, yet. I have it on the server, but we've yet to watch it. Would any of it scare the bejezuz out of a 3.5 year old girl?

edit: oh, yeah - we watched the When We Left Earth miniseries, too. Good stuff.

Velo Vol 04-17-20 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21423829)
From her Strava feed, she started her most recent ride just south of Stanley Lippencott Park. Know where that is??

In the park or from the park?

Obviously a place I would never go to.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c136cc0db6.png

datlas 04-17-20 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21423860)
In the park or from the park?

Obviously a place I would never go to.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c136cc0db6.png

NEAR the park.

BillyD 04-17-20 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21423785)
I posted several months ago about how the eagle population was wrecking the free-range chicken farming out west.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/02/73826...es-vs-chickens

I remember that.

Velo Vol 04-17-20 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21423593)
My assumption when I saw that picture was that there was a lake or a fair sized, productive river nearby, because it would be exceptionally reckless for a pair of eagles to build a nest in the arid heart of the desert. Finding dead critters to scavenge now and then has got to be a crap shoot in the desert.

Unless there's a constant supply of dead unpaved trail riders. LesterOfPuppets

abshipp 04-17-20 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21423854)
I have not, yet. I have it on the server, but we've yet to watch it. Would any of it scare the bejezuz out of a 3.5 year old girl?

edit: oh, yeah - we watched the When We Left Earth miniseries, too. Good stuff.

Nothing that I can think of. Although I haven't been around a 3.5 year old since I myself was 3.5, and I don't remember what I was like way back then anyways.

Just glorious shots of the Saturn V, exceptionally understandable simple graphics of all the maneuvers they had to perform to get to the Moon (all of the various orbit transfers and associated engine burns), and your standard Moon & Mission Control shots.

It's primarily just an A/V experience since most people know what happened on the mission, but the story is told quite well even with a minimum of dialogue. There's no real narration, just footage in chronological order.

Still, highly recommended, especially if you have a good A/V setup.

WhyFi 04-17-20 03:20 PM

When I actually get out on the road again, my ride is going to be so smoooooth. In addition to swapping out the chain, I just re-greased my Speedplays.

When ​​​​​Bah Humbug mentioned Cadbury's at Walgreens the other day, I took it as a sign/reminder that it was time to re-grease my pedals, so I stopped in for a cream egg and a grease gun dosing syringe (I'm sure datlas would approve my little bit of frugality). The cream egg was 50% off and the pharmacist gave me the dosing syringe for free - score!

abshipp 04-17-20 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21423937)
Unless there's a constant supply of dead unpaved trail riders. LesterOfPuppets

Sometimes people get lost:

https://www.otherhand.org/home-page/...alley-germans/

LAJ 04-17-20 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21423565)
Strange encounter on road this morning.

I am overtaken by a rider who greets me in an antopodean accent and notes my absence of water bottles. Our subsequent exchange was as follows:

Rider: Here, tyke wonna moyn!

Me: Like I would drink your water?

Rider: Ow royt, COW-VID. I got sow minny otha voyruses, one maw izzn gunna mike any difference!

Me: Well, let's not have sex today, then.

Rider: Good idea!

At which point we came to a crossing, I thanked him for his concern, and we went our separate ways. I have no doubt he would have kept chatting at barely arm's length if I'd chosen to stay with him.

Turns out to be a former pro and local cycling celeb. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_P._Clark

Should I kudos him?

Made my day. That's good stuff. :)

WhyFi 04-17-20 03:40 PM

The GCN fans with a juvenile sense of humour will get a kick out of Dan Lloyd's latest instagram post - https://www.instagram.com/daniellloyd1/

edit: grrr - I had to link to his profile because it was embedding the photo from his post, otherwise. When the heck did BF get IG embeds?! Anyway, see profile, look at latest post.

Velo Vol 04-17-20 03:49 PM

I am overtaken by a rider who greets me in an antopodean accent and notes my absence of water bottles.

Kudos.

LesterOfPuppets 04-17-20 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21423954)
When I actually get out on the road again, my ride is going to be so smoooooth. In addition to swapping out the chain, I just re-greased my Speedplays.

When ​​​​​Bah Humbug mentioned Cadbury's at Walgreens the other day, I took it as a sign/reminder that it was time to re-grease my pedals, so I stopped in for a cream egg and a grease gun dosing syringe (I'm sure datlas would approve my little bit of frugality). The cream egg was 50% off and the pharmacist gave me the dosing syringe for free - score!

Wow, if they're that confident marking down olde candy 50% and giving away medical equipment, they must be expecting a lot of Covid related business. Possible stock buy :)

ls01 04-17-20 04:07 PM

Strange encounter on road this morning.

I am overtaken by a rider who greets me in an antopodean accent and notes my absence of water bottles. Our subsequent exchange was as follows:

Rider: Here, tyke wonna moyn!

Me: Like I would drink your water?

Rider: Ow royt, COW-VID. I got sow minny otha voyruses, one maw izzn gunna mike any difference!

Me: Well, let's not have sex today, then.

Rider: Good idea!

At which point we came to a crossing, I thanked him for his concern, and we went our separate ways. I have no doubt he would have kept chatting at barely arm's length if I'd chosen to stay with him.

Turns out to be a former pro and local cycling celeb. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_P._Clark

Should I kudos him?

absolutely

ericy 04-17-20 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21423794)
That said, it can be argued that the confidence inspired by the Shuttle's perfect track record previous to STS-51-L was a contributor to the eventual loss, SpaceX has never flown humans so it can be assumed that they are going to take no chances at all. They hopefully won't have any complacency in the system culture like what was going on before the Challenger disaster. I think we can assume that the booster will be brand-new, fresh out of the box, too :D

After the accident, they worked out the chances of a catastrophic failure - not an easy calculation, but they identified what they thought to be all of the failure modes, and the probabilities. What they came up with was that about 1 in every 30 missions would end up in a catastrophic failure.

A lot of it was the complexity of the thing, and the design was forced by some early design decisions. The Air Force wanted to use the shuttle to launch spy satellites, and those things are big. So the cargo bay was big, and that made the rest of it big. Some of the design decisions were political - the solid rocket boosters were made in Utah to satisfy a power politician, but they were too big to transport in one piece, so they went with a segmented design.

If I were doing it now, I would use a small rocket with just a crew capsule and minimal cargo to transport humans, and use larger unmanned rockets to haul stuff.

MoAlpha 04-17-20 04:21 PM

I haven't had an egg cream since they schpritzed them up for you at the soda fountain in the drug stores and little hole in the wall tobacco, candy, and newspaper places in NYC. Was it in a can?

WhyFi 04-17-20 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21424058)
I haven't had an egg cream since they schpritzed them up for you at the soda fountain in the drug stores and little hole in the wall tobacco, candy, and newspaper places in NYC. Was it in a can?

Okay, Boomer. :notamused:

seedsbelize 04-17-20 04:47 PM

It might be August til I get back out on the road. That's what they're pognosticating for the plague's end.

MoAlpha 04-17-20 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21424061)
Okay, Boomer. :notamused:

Hey man, we went off to ride in unpadded-chamois wool shorts and made this country what it is!

kissTheApex 04-17-20 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21423992)
The GCN fans with a juvenile sense of humour will get a kick out of Dan Lloyd's latest instagram post - https://www.instagram.com/daniellloyd1/

edit: grrr - I had to link to his profile because it was embedding the photo from his post, otherwise. When the heck did BF get IG embeds?! Anyway, see profile, look at latest post.

:roflmao2: