Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Pills and Ills (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=337)
-   -   Road cycling and aci reflux (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1256637)

papaki72 08-10-22 01:30 AM

Road cycling and aci reflux

For the fist time in my life, just about the beginning of this summer, my throat is dead dry after a 45min ride and I started having acid reflux to the point where the soreness in my throat led to complete voice loss (pharyngitis). Did you ever had any acid reflux? If so, how do you cope with it?

delbiker1 08-10-22 03:28 AM

For me it is not eat too much right before a ride, in general, and definitely not too much sugar. I am better off eating small amounts while riding. Just as important is plenty of water. For on bike hydration, I use a mixture of 75% water and 25% real fruit juice and just enough salt to know it is there. IME, riding hard is a factor. You have to drink before you feel thirsty. What you are describing is a serious episode of reflux. I have been on reflux meds for many years and it is under control most of the time. When it flares up, I usually know why, I consumed things I should not consume, and too much of it.

streetsurfer 08-10-22 05:35 AM

It is flared right now.

I have a hyatal hernia that causes it. To treat that I take a tall (quart) glass of warmed water, and mixed in is the juice of a lemon and a bit of honey or stevia leaf.

The water is warmed to relax the stomach. The volume is high (quart) to weight the stomach. It is taken upon rising in the morning when the stomach will be more relaxed.

Then I do heel drops. I personally though not needed, I stand in a door frame and grab the top with my hands and look skyward. Raise up on my toes. Drop down quickly to my heels. One can also raise oneself just off of a seat and sit down hard enough to allow the weighted stomach to pull itself from within the lower esophageal
sphincter, retracting the part involved in the herniation or protrusion through it.

when it eventually pulls down, sometimes after ten to fifteen heel drops, I often hear/feel a squishy gurgle and may experience some belching of gas.

I’d try this for a few days. There is also a maneuver or manipulation from up under the ribs that a chiropractor or D.O. Can do but as I understand it isn’t very comfortable.

also noteworthy, reflux can be from food items that serve to relax the esophageal sphincter (tobacco, chocolate, alcohol), or incomplete digestion due to lack of adequate hcl or other digestive issues. For the former, avoid those food items. For the latter a test can be done to verify, by taking apple cider vinegar in water in spaced intervals and small amounts, to see if it helps close the sphincter. It is closed by the presence of a gas made during the completion of digestion in the stomach. Short of that gas signal, the valve may leak in some conditions like bent over straining.

something that may help is sipping regularly from a dromedary during your rides.

Best wishes. I used to battle this often. Dietary changes, and the heel drops helped. Turned out I had celiac disease causing my digestive weakness leading to mine. I keep it in check with certain food avoidances most of the time. Lately it has flared from what skeeter syndrome does to me.

BobbyG 08-10-22 06:09 AM

My acid reflux was mostly at night...or lying down. beginning at age 14 I drank coffee for 40 years. In my early 50s I began drinking milder and milder coffees, but eventually, 5 years ago I switched to Yerba Mate, a popular South American tea made from a plant in the holly family.

Not only is my reflux practically gone, but the anti-inflammatory and anti-histamine properties of Yerba Mate have also changed my life for the better. Plus it has decreased my cholesterol.

Not bad considering my only goal was fining a source of caffeine that didn't contribute to acid reflux.

While different mates have different tastes, some quite appealing, it IS an acquired taste, and most taste in part like grassy green tea.

But I'm caffeinated, happy and my reflux episodes went from 2-3 a month to 1-2 a year.

Your mileage may vary.

streetsurfer 08-10-22 06:56 AM

I’m a drinker of Yerba Mate, as well. And more recently Yaupon. I don’t do coffee or black teas either, due to the potential for gerd.

tip for taste: let the leaves soak in cool water before adding the warmed.

jpbiking 08-10-22 07:22 AM

Great conversation and some new ideas here for me, thanks!

Hope I like the Yerba Mate when I try it as I will likely start drinking it regardless to skip the daily, post coffee reflux!

I'll throw out that in relation to similar symptoms I've worked to increase the fiber in my diet and even add a little fiber supplement daily. More consistent fiber seems to have helped improve general gut/stomach health and reduce the intensity of the reflux and it's pain/symptoms.

streetsurfer 08-10-22 07:43 AM

The Brenda Watson H.O.P.E. Program was a large part of what brought me around.

High fiber
Omegas
Probiotics
Enzymes

You’ve got this! Better days ahead!