Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Show us your Vintage Touring bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=319254)

mississippimud 08-01-22 09:26 PM


Originally Posted by merziac (Post 22595469)
@mississippimud

:thumb: Very nice and very cool.

That Gipiemme triple is awesome, funny how a special frame can inspire a special build.

Thanks ! I have another one , not a Strawberry , in the works from 1980 only a couple of hundred made , it should be finished in a couple of weeks ..here's a sneek peek 😉
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f89a73f50a.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f8709f8109.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c964c4fab7.jpg


https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...104ebf3c11.jpg

merziac 08-02-22 12:09 AM

I know I've seen that first signature letter before but don't remember who, gonna spitball Peter Johnson just for fun. :crash:
@mississippimud

Havelaar 08-04-22 03:19 AM

love it

Lbxpdx 08-10-22 09:59 PM

My 85 Schwinn Voyageur SP. I just picked up a Blackburn front rack, but I haven’t installed it yet.


https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...051eb8995.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...986f8b206.jpeg

misctrader 09-10-22 04:11 PM

1985 Voyageur with 700c rims and 38c tires. Want to install a triple up front to get a lower gears.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8023f5d455.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7302214a12.jpg
Wa

fvernon 09-10-22 06:11 PM

Built this '79 Centurion Pro Tour up over the summer after picking it up on my way home from Eroica California (here about to head to the farmer's market):

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9114338441.png

Definitely not all original (I think only the Dia-Compe braze on centerpulls & qr brake levers are original still). A little bit sluggish at slow speeds/while accelerating but once it's cruising it really wants to just keep going. Built for fun long rides & light tours. Maybe a brevet. The grocery bags are hiding the front end--I really like the Velo Orange randonneuring bars & decaleur paired with my old Jim Blackburn front rack. It normally wears a Swift Industries randonneuring bag, which is excellent:
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a46c2dcc9c.png

I've also got a 1977 Romic X-100 (pretty sure it's an X-100) touring frameset that's headed to the shop for some restoration; it's got a tighter geometry with lower fork rake than the Centurion, so it may see a similar build treatment but get used on more spirited tours and rides.

cooperryder 09-11-22 11:31 AM


Originally Posted by fvernon (Post 22642845)
Built this '79 Centurion Pro Tour up over the summer after picking it up on my way home from Eroica California (here about to head to the farmer's market):

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9114338441.png

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a46c2dcc9c.png

That's a great looking Centurion.
I have a fondness for the Centurions especially the ones with chrome lugs.

goodwrench84 09-12-22 08:56 AM

Vintage touring bike comparison
 
Crowd source advice desired on two vintage touring bikes, recently purchased Fuji touring series III and updating it with a flat bar and other updates and I really like it and rides nice but another touring bike just came on the market near me that’s a Raleigh touring 14 that looks worn scraped up from the pictures but all there and with both racks. From what I have read, the Raleigh is also a Japanese built frame and I am wondering what our members think if the Raleigh is a much nicer or higher end vehicle than the Fuji? My spouse is not too happy lately with my bike fetish and I always get the question “how many bikes do you have”? To borrow a quote from a fellow member goes something like this. “To many bikes is how many you have plus 1” Thanks for your thoughts.

thumpism 09-12-22 04:45 PM

This bike should have had a triple originally. I sold a few of them back then.

Originally Posted by misctrader (Post 22642727)
1985 Voyageur with 700c rims and 38c tires. Want to install a triple up front to get a lower gears.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8023f5d455.jpg


DQRider 09-13-22 12:45 AM

1983 Specialized Sequoia 650b Conversion
 
I've probably posted this here before, but these are recent photos taken in the last couple weeks. I can't say enough about the quality of the frameset and original Deore drivetrain on this bike. Converting to 650b has given it long-ride comfort like I've never experienced before. Of course, it is painted white; it's like riding on a cloud!

https://i.imgur.com/hX5a5H8.png

https://i.imgur.com/prEeQcD.png

https://i.imgur.com/jljSe2a.png

https://i.imgur.com/45v9lQs.png
*
*
*

dbhouston 10-27-22 09:20 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1156a51cc9.jpg
My new-to-me 1984 Centurion ProTour 15. It came to me in September in poor condition with badly deteriorated paint, and someone had made a half-ass start at scraping it off. So, "aircraft remover" and Evaporust plus lots of time and, man, I'm pleased with this thing. I've never restored or owned a touring bike before, but it certainly has me thinking longer, slower trips would be pleasant.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...900b02e5a0.jpg

himespau 10-28-22 05:25 AM

Was it fully chromed under that paint? Wow.

dbhouston 10-28-22 09:21 PM


Originally Posted by himespau (Post 22693301)
Was it fully chromed under that paint? Wow.

It was, and I knew that going in. I was surprised at how well it came out, though.

Cycle Tourist 10-31-22 11:49 AM


Originally Posted by goodwrench84 (Post 22644351)
Crowd source advice desired on two vintage touring bikes, recently purchased Fuji touring series III and updating it with a flat bar and other updates and I really like it and rides nice but another touring bike just came on the market near me that’s a Raleigh touring 14 that looks worn scraped up from the pictures but all there and with both racks. From what I have read, the Raleigh is also a Japanese built frame and I am wondering what our members think if the Raleigh is a much nicer or higher end vehicle than the Fuji? My spouse is not too happy lately with my bike fetish and I always get the question “how many bikes do you have”? To borrow a quote from a fellow member goes something like this. “To many bikes is how many you have plus 1” Thanks for your thoughts.


I wouldn't be able to resist getting the Raleigh especially if it needed to be saved. Many of us get that identical question from our wives or partners. It's a cross we must bare.
Not a fan of flat bars but it's totally a matter of preference. I wouldn't think the Raleigh is any better than your Fuji though. Besides "better" is subjective. My old rebuilt entry level Univega was supposed to be totally eclipsed by a Trek top end touring bike but I never liked it nearly as much and regretted selling the Uni. I've come close to recreating it with an old Miyata 610.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...beefac5a84.jpg

TLaurent 10-31-22 08:59 PM

I bought this 1975 Fuji America as a frame/fork when I was frustrated with the Italian race bike projects that all need more work than assembly. Thanks to the forum, I found the catalog and was able to source 90% of the parts to match. I’m currently building up a period correct wheel set and have since added hammered copper fenders. It’s a comfy ride that I take to the Farmer’s market on Saturdays and ride home with the panniers filled with fresh veggies. Go ahead and make fun of that seatpost clamp. I’m still breaking in the saddle and make adjustments during the ride.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...42650fcb9.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...70238cf25.jpeg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:33 AM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.