Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   Metal Fenders on folding bikes? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1251225)

willydstyle 05-04-22 06:13 PM

Metal Fenders on folding bikes?

I'm planning upgrades to the Tern BYB I'm picking up tomorrow, and I've always preferred metal fenders. That being said, it looks like fenders on folding bikes get bent and tweaked a lot, and metal fenders do *not* stand up to that kind of abuse. Has anyone here successfully used metal fenders on a folding bike? Did you have to take extra care not to damage them while folding?

Pinigis 05-05-22 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by willydstyle (Post 22495473)
I'm planning upgrades to the Tern BYB I'm picking up tomorrow, and I've always preferred metal fenders. That being said, it looks like fenders on folding bikes get bent and tweaked a lot, and metal fenders do *not* stand up to that kind of abuse. Has anyone here successfully used metal fenders on a folding bike? Did you have to take extra care not to damage them while folding?

Yes, we use steel fenders on most of our bikes. Just be careful of the position of the pedals when folding.

jfouellette 05-05-22 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by willydstyle (Post 22495473)

I m curious. I have plastic fenders on my folder and other bikes. What are the advantages of using metal fenders on a folding bicycle? I agree they look better but what else?

Pinigis 05-05-22 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by jfouellette (Post 22495832)
I m curious. I have plastic fenders on my folder and other bikes. What are the advantages of using metal fenders on a folding bicycle? I agree they look better but what else?

It is primarily aesthetics. But, the metal ones are also more stable in their shape and don't warp when overheated in the sun.

Schwinnsta 05-05-22 07:13 AM

I put Velo Orange aluminum fenders on one of my 20-inch folders. They have fuller coverage, particularly in the front, and keep my feet and drivetrain drier in the rain. They are made for 2 or 2 1/8-inch wide tires.

2_i 05-05-22 07:53 AM

We have steel fenders on our Dahons. There are no problems with them. They are certainly more durable than plastic.

willydstyle 05-05-22 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pinigis (Post 22495824)
Yes, we use steel fenders on most of our bikes. Just be careful of the position of the pedals when folding.

Are the fenders on the Bull steel? What brand/model do you use? When I google 20" steel fenders I mostly get the kind with the flimsy flat strut that's used on old/cheap bikes, and the fenders on your Bull model look very good.

Jipe 05-05-22 03:49 PM

For a folding bike were weight and strength are important, carbon fenders is the best choice: lightweight, much stronger than plastic or thin aluminum.

willydstyle 05-05-22 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jipe (Post 22496490)
For a folding bike were weight and strength are important, carbon fenders is the best choice: lightweight, much stronger than plastic or thin aluminum.

Does anyone make 20" full coverage carbon fenders?

Pinigis 05-06-22 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by willydstyle (Post 22496423)
Are the fenders on the Bull steel? What brand/model do you use? When I google 20" steel fenders I mostly get the kind with the flimsy flat strut that's used on old/cheap bikes, and the fenders on your Bull model look very good.

Yes, the fenders on the Bull are steel. We have them made by a component supplier, so you won't find them for sale elsewhere.

willydstyle 05-06-22 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Pinigis (Post 22497107)
Yes, the fenders on the Bull are steel. We have them made by a component supplier, so you won't find them for sale elsewhere.

Ah dang, the benefits of owning a bicycle company I suppose :P

Pinigis 05-06-22 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by willydstyle (Post 22497356)
Ah dang, the benefits of owning a bicycle company I suppose :P

I have lots of extra fenders, but no extra mounting equipment. If you can source some fender stays (the wire parts) I can give you set of fenders (just pay the shipping).

SteveKB 06-02-22 09:34 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6001a214b7.jpg
My Giant-FD806 came with metal fenders.

sweeks 06-04-22 07:42 PM

SKS makes "Chromoplastic" fenders which came standard on two Dahons and my current Tern. These have held up quite well over many years.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3d40ee25de.jpg
SKS fenders. Front mud flap is added.

Nyah 06-05-22 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by sweeks (Post 22531090)
SKS makes "Chromoplastic" fenders which came standard on two Dahons and my current Tern.

I believe the Chromoplastic fenders have been discontinued. The only SKS fender I can find for 20" wheels, now, is the B53 for 20", which only comes in black. I think that's a huge shame. All bicycles deserve the option of having silver fenders.