Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

ls01 12-29-21 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22354948)
I think there's some weird psychological/social s**t going on, because the people who die of COVID simply disappear. That is, they go into the hospital and if they die, they don't die surrounded by family. And between travel restrictions and restrictions on gatherings, we don't have big funerals. I mean, 800,000 Americans have died in the last 2 years of this, and we as a nation are NOT grieving normally as you might expect us to. I wonder whether there will be a time when it hits us all, just how much death there has been? Will it hit all at once? Or just each individual.

Myself, I haven't lost anyone I was close to from this, so it's all more or less abstract.

When my Aunt was passing. One of the care givers told us how hard it was to have family members outside, literally outside watching family members die through a window. Without the comfort of family being able to be there with them. At least we could be there for my Aunt. A lot of people have died alone from this effing bug.

ls01 12-29-21 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22354951)
I don't think that means what you think it means.

let him tell himself whatever he chooses to believe. It'll be easier that way.

Velo Vol 12-29-21 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22355050)
Contrary to my earlier announcement, it appears I am no more alive today than I was yesterday.

What percentage alive are you?

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22355059)
As a railroad worker,

You're not a real railroad worker.

Trsnrtr 12-29-21 02:21 PM

Eylea injection completed. Dark room for the rest of the day...

ls01 12-29-21 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22355027)
same, It’s strange to me that I don’t even really know anyone who has died of it given the sheer volume of deaths.

Same here but it is in the realm of once removed. Guys brothers, uncle, guy at the station I used to work @, guy across the street @ the stock room, etc. Way to close for comfort. So far about half of my family has had one strain or the other. I don't know if I did or not because I couldn't get tested. None available. I plan on receiving the booster when I ho back to work. It's nothing to eff with for sure.

LesterOfPuppets 12-29-21 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22355097)

[insert Blazing Saddles Work Song clip] NSFW

datlas 12-29-21 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22355097)

You mean he has not been working on the railroad all the live-long day??

Mojo31 12-29-21 02:33 PM

Prolly one of those ruthless scoundrels that fights off FELA claims all the live long day. :rolleyes:

datlas 12-29-21 02:48 PM

Bald Eagle in flight sighted on today’s ride. No pics.

MoAlpha 12-29-21 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22355035)
This explains why I can read without glasses after a 4+ hour fever.

You just think you're reading.

seedsbelize2 12-29-21 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22355102)
Same here but it is in the realm of once removed. Guys brothers, uncle, guy at the station I used to work @, guy across the street @ the stock room, etc. Way to close for comfort. So far about half of my family has had one strain or the other. I don't know if I did or not because I couldn't get tested. None available. I plan on receiving the booster when I ho back to work. It's nothing to eff with for sure.

This just blows my mind, two years in. My sister just reported that their whole family, including grandkids, spent the entire day together, on Sunday. Tuesday one son feels sick and tests positive. For the rest, there are no tests to be found, and a 4-5 day turn-around in case you somehow manage to break through.

Mojo31 12-29-21 05:00 PM

I'm not sure what good the testing really does at this point. If you get sick, you are either going to recover or get to the point where you need medical care. If you need medical care, then testing would help with diagnosis. But, for the vast majority that sweat it out over a couple of days, the testing doesn't really tell you anything other than what you already likely know.

seedsbelize2 12-29-21 05:03 PM

It would tell you whether or not to self-isolate.

Velo Vol 12-29-21 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22355254)
I'm not sure what good the testing really does at this point. If you get sick, you are either going to recover or get to the point where you need medical care. If you need medical care, then testing would help with diagnosis. But, for the vast majority that sweat it out over a couple of days, the testing doesn't really tell you anything other than what you already likely know.

It's so widespread that it will effectively become, if it is not already, like influenza.

LAJ 12-29-21 05:17 PM

Covid has damaged people's minds more than their lungs.

rjones28 12-29-21 06:09 PM

Non Porsche ass of the day. Mustangs of a feather shop together? My brother's GT on the left, a Cobra, and a base V6.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7776f82c8.jpeg

Velo Vol 12-29-21 06:29 PM

Map of the Day

29 December 2021

see tweet

abshipp 12-29-21 06:38 PM

Spouse picked up a desktop 2-axis CNC* today!

*Cricut Explore Air 2 :D

Kind of interested to see how it is to use. Maybe custom frame decals could be made with it!

abshipp 12-29-21 06:48 PM

I'll preface this with saying that the solution is obviously a larger space, not the quantity of objects, but that's not really in the cards right now.

I need to get rid of at least one bike. My apartment has enough space to store 4 nicely and right now there are 5 - plus one frameset (chrome SLT). I'm also getting the urge to build up the SLT again so that would mean that two have to go!

Obviously the choice is between the least-ridden which are the 650b track bike and my 650b Trek. Problem is I think they are the two coolest bikes I own and would be the hardest to replace. The Trek has fenders which can be useful, and the track bike is just so unique I love riding it, even though to get it where I really want I need a shorter BB to fix the chainline, but there's no clearance unless I change to a 144bcd crankset.

big john 12-29-21 06:56 PM

The 51st New Years Day ride to Mount Wilson is on for Saturday. There is a 17 mile ride to the base of the mountains and some will turn back there but some will try to climb to Mount Wilson which may be closed due to snow. I've done at least part of it 16 times and it can be an adventure. My friend Ron has been doing it since the start!
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...946f582d09.jpg

rjones28 12-29-21 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22355344)
Map of the Day

29 December 2021

see tweet

https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/sta...06392214650883

"The" is the most popular word in every state? Who knew?

big john 12-29-21 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22355354)
I'll preface this with saying that the solution is obviously a larger space, not the quantity of objects, but that's not really in the cards right now.

I need to get rid of at least one bike. My apartment has enough space to store 4 nicely and right now there are 5 - plus one frameset (chrome SLT). I'm also getting the urge to build up the SLT again so that would mean that two have to go!

Obviously the choice is between the least-ridden which are the 650b track bike and my 650b Trek. Problem is I think they are the two coolest bikes I own and would be the hardest to replace. The Trek has fenders which can be useful, and the track bike is just so unique I love riding it, even though to get it where I really want I need a shorter BB to fix the chainline, but there's no clearance unless I change to a 144bcd crankset.

Any chance you could store bikes at work?

Velo Vol 12-29-21 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22355354)
I need to get rid of at least one bike. My apartment has enough space to store 4 nicely and right now there are 5

I'll make it easy for you.

Number the bikes 1-5 by age, 1 being the newest.

Sell/donate bikes 3,4,5.

Problem solved.

Velo Vol 12-29-21 07:15 PM

New Year's not looking promising for a cycling activity.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a2f2f22b6c.png

LesterOfPuppets 12-29-21 07:16 PM

I'd just get a bigger place.

Gotta make room for one of these beauties!

https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...nw&oe=61D1275A