Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

phrantic09 07-06-20 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21573126)
Oh ****, you're right.

So, another black swan event to shatter a world hanging on by a thread?

On a personal level, 2016 was the year my poor old boy died (in August, when I thought that was the worst thing in the year). I think it's since then that media death has hit me harder; "It's Quiet Uptown" has been rolling in my head today and it's brutal.

From Hamilton?

Pirkaus 07-07-20 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21573469)
This actually almost stopped me from running my first marathon. My PCP at the time told me how otherwise healthy people could drop dead and recommended I reconsider.

I had no symptoms, but the problem is real. If you notice sudden spikes in heart rate, regardless of effort, get it checked out.
When doing the echocardiogram testing after the accident, to check for damage from cardiac contusion. They shut the test down quick when the v-tach appeared for 13 beats 13 minutes and 13 seconds in to the test, I felt fine. Not saying it will happen you, but it can.

Bah Humbug 07-07-20 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21573470)
From Hamilton?

Yes, that's the one.

Bah Humbug 07-07-20 04:51 AM

Apparently yesterday took a lot out of me. Slept over eight hours until the alarm; today's ride will be a late start. And I'll be taking it easy.

phrantic09 07-07-20 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21573718)
Apparently yesterday took a lot out of me. Slept over eight hours until the alarm; today's ride will be a late start. And I'll be taking it easy.

I overslept again too. May sneak out on lunch or just go after work.

datlas 07-07-20 05:30 AM

What is this oversleeping thing you people are talking about??

The only time I have really slept late (say past sunrise) is when I have been sick, and even then it's rare.

phrantic09 07-07-20 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21573751)

The only time I have really slept late (say past sunrise) is when I have been sick, and even then it's rare.

I got caught up reading a book last night and didn’t fall asleep until 1AM.

bampilot06 07-07-20 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Pirkaus (Post 21573698)
I had no symptoms, but the problem is real. If you notice sudden spikes in heart rate, regardless of effort, get it checked out.
When doing the echocardiogram testing after the accident, to check for damage from cardiac contusion. They shut the test down quick when the v-tach appeared for 13 beats 13 minutes and 13 seconds in to the test, I felt fine. Not saying it will happen you, but it can.

What ended up happening?

bampilot06 07-07-20 06:02 AM

alarm went off at 515, looked at the wall for 20 mins trying to decide if I should go ride or not. Ride always wins. It was a late start though.

Trsnrtr 07-07-20 06:16 AM

It's rare for me, too, but I also go to bed early. :)

WhyFi 07-07-20 06:40 AM

I haven't woken to an alarm since the shelter-in-place started. I woke too late for a ride yesterday, but today I was up in time. I initially woke up at about 3:30 and briefly considered going out for a longer ride, but then I thought better of it, rolled over and went back to sleep 'til 5:30.

datlas 07-07-20 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21573809)
It's rare for me, too, but I also go to bed early. :)

I am the same. I am often in bed and asleep by 10PM. These days, I usually wake up around 4:30 or 5, either on my own or alarm cat. Add about 30-45 minutes in winter.

WhyFi 07-07-20 06:46 AM

Rapha recently released some new sunglasses. My knee-jerk reaction was, "those look kinda French-shower-y..." Second thought was, "I kinda want 'em..." :o

phrantic09 07-07-20 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21573844)
Rapha recently released some new sunglasses. My knee-jerk reaction was, "those look kinda French-shower-y..." Second thought was, "I kinda want 'em..." :o

The classic look okay

phrantic09 07-07-20 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21573840)
I am the same. I am often in bed and asleep by 10PM. These days, I usually wake up around 4:30 or 5, either on my own or alarm cat. Add about 30-45 minutes in winter.

We are completely surrounded by 90+ foot trees to the point where it’s essentially dark in our room until about 8. Half of the time I wake up and think it’s still the middle of the night.

WhyFi 07-07-20 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21573852)
The classic look okay

The Explore glasses are the only ones that I don't really like. The Classic are the ones that I'd be most likely to buy, based on aesthetics alone, but they're likely too small for my melon. Also, I have to say that they seem pretty reasonably priced for a) Rapha b) sunglasses.

phrantic09 07-07-20 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21573866)
The Explore glasses are the only ones that I don't really like. The Classic are the ones that I'd be most likely to buy, based on aesthetics alone, but they're likely too small for my melon. Also, I have to say that they seem pretty reasonably priced for a) Rapha b) sunglasses.

I’d be worried that they’d fog up with no vents. But they are really reasonably priced.

WhyFi 07-07-20 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21573854)
We are completely surrounded by 90+ foot trees to the point where it’s essentially dark in our room until about 8. Half of the time I wake up and think it’s still the middle of the night.

Other than during severe storms, I would love tree coverage like that. We have two mature trees shading the house, one on the south side and one on the west. They save us so much in cooling costs during the summer.

WhyFi 07-07-20 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21573869)
I’d be worried that they’d fog up with no vents. But they are really reasonably priced.

The Classics? Probably depends on your face. I most frequently ride with some Ray Bans in a similar style and there's enough of a gap that fogging has never been a problem. Then again, I'm sure that some people would be bothered by the air that can swirl behind them, but it doesn't bother me at all.

The more that I look at the Pro Team Frameless, the more I like them... but I have more pressing on-bike accessory/apparel needs... like a summer base layer - I've been meaning to give one a whirl for years.

phrantic09 07-07-20 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21573872)
Other than during severe storms, I would love tree coverage like that. We have two mature trees shading the house, one on the south side and one on the west. They save us so much in cooling costs during the summer.

This is one of the big reasons we are limiting our house search to just this neighborhood. Having trees and shade is awesome, especially in the summer. Storms are scary and I normally have a ton of branch clean up to do afterward.

phrantic09 07-07-20 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21573882)
The Classics? Probably depends on your face. I most frequently ride with some Ray Bans in a similar style and there's enough of a gap that fogging has never been a problem. Then again, I'm sure that some people would be bothered by the air that can swirl behind them, but it doesn't bother me at all.

The more that I look at the Pro Team Frameless, the more I like them... but I have more pressing on-bike accessory/apparel needs... like a summer base layer - I've been meaning to give one a whirl for years.

I wear my older beat up wayfarer Ray Bans on a lot of rides and have the same experience.

datlas 07-07-20 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21573844)

I have probably mentioned this before, but one item I don't use is sunglasses. For unknown reasons I have no problems with bright light. I use cheap-o Performance clear lens glasses for eye protection.

Velo Vol 07-07-20 07:47 AM

:bday:

Bah Humbug 07-07-20 07:50 AM

Getting to the alarm is not the same as getting to dawn. Alarm was 5:25 and still dark, but usually I’m up shortly after 5. I got out about ten minutes later than usual and took it easy. The hardest part was getting passed by a pair of roadies and not chasing them down.

And something’s in the air, because the drivers were in a damn mood.

MoAlpha 07-07-20 07:50 AM

Because of my somewhat limited neck extension due to a fusion, on the bike I need eye protection that comes up pretty high, doesn't slide down, and doesn't have a frame that blocks vision. I use an old pair of Oakley gov't issue ballistic glasses and carry readers in my jersey pocket on long rides where I might have to read a map on the phone.