Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

gna 05-06-17 02:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a Dunelt I found leaning against a tree in the boulevard, chain off, rear wheel stuck. Brought it home, No one claimed it. Fixed it up for a friend.

Attachment 562114

Attachment 562115

BigChief 05-07-17 05:36 AM

Good Job! Glad to see this nice bike rescued. Another classy English 3 speed back on the road. Looks great.

gster 05-07-17 05:55 AM

1972 Raleigh Sports Progress Report

5 Attachment(s)
Progress has been made. Once again those cotter pins have proved to be difficult.

The drive side popped out with a couple of stern whacks of the hammer, the other side wouldn't budge. I ended up drilling it out with no damage to the crank or spindle.

Judging by the grease inside the BB, this bike hasn't been ridden in years. The cups look good so if the weather here in Toronto clears up it should be back on the road next weekend.

Front and back hubs cleaned and re packed with new tires courtesy of George at Parkdale Bicycles at 1428 Queen Street West.
Re assembly has started. I will replace the pedals with either some new MKS pedals or some old Raleigh pedals from the spares bin.
Starting to look like a bicycle.

gster 05-07-17 06:12 AM

1972 Glider "Scorcher" Update

5 Attachment(s)
Here's an interesting bike I put together a couple of years ago.
A 1972 Raleigh built Glider converted to a 2 speed kick back.

Cost Breakdown:

1973 Raleigh Glider bicycle @ $75.00 ($50.00, accounting for parts removed)
1967 Torpedo 2 speed kick back hub/coaster brake @ $75.00
Vintage Ideal (French) saddle @ $20.00
NOS Nitto drop bars @ $5.00
Front hand brake for safety @ $5.00
Aluminum stem @ $10.00
New chain and tires @ $40.00
I should point out that the bike as purchased was a fairly complete 3 speed so some of those parts have been
re- purposed or stored.

gster 05-07-17 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by gna (Post 19564750)
Here's a Dunelt I found leaning against a tree in the boulevard, chain off, rear wheel stuck. Brought it home, No one claimed it. Fixed it up for a friend.

Attachment 562114

Attachment 562115

"Ride a Wheel on Sheffield Steel".

markk900 05-07-17 06:36 AM

@gster: what tires did you use on the coffee one? I can't tell clearly from the picture but the tread patten looks good. My glider is sitting partly disassembled at the moment - perhaps another scorcher is in order. But where did you score that saddle for $20?

gster 05-07-17 06:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by markk900 (Post 19565716)
@gster: what tires did you use on the coffee one? I can't tell clearly from the picture but the tread patten looks good. My glider is sitting partly disassembled at the moment - perhaps another scorcher is in order. But where did you score that saddle for $20?

Tires on the coffee one are just cheap ($16.00) Chinese tires. I'll have to go out to look at the brand. Tread pattern below. Leather saddle was courtesy of Martin at Hoopdriver Cycles. He moved last year and had a "garage sale" of sorts.

gster 05-07-17 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by markk900 (Post 19565716)

Those tires are marked Chaoyang.

adventurepdx 05-07-17 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 19564198)
@browngw I've been scanning ebay for the right fenders for my DL-1 when I saw these. I like the look of the white fenders, but I don't remember if they are original or not. You may be interested in these.
VINTAGE ROBIN HOOD 26 INCH FENDERS SET FRONT REAR TRIUMPH RALEIGH ENGLAND NOS | eBay

One hundred bucks seems like a pretty steep price, especially since they are labelled "not perfect".

clubman 05-07-17 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by browngw (Post 19564538)
. There was conjecture when I first got the bike that a shop in Toronto had a large number of Dunelts and Robin Hoods that were sold well into the '80s.
I

Could be Grove Cycle on College at Kensington market. They were selling NOS Dunelts (maybe RH's) into the mid 90's. A truly amazing shop with a vast amount of historical items. When one of the owner-operators died, the stock that was mostly packed into a container and shipped to Cuba before if could be sorted out. I got my Hozan wheel stand from there.

BigChief 05-07-17 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 19566334)
One hundred bucks seems like a pretty steep price, especially since they are labelled "not perfect".

Big price, but they are super clean. If you had a near mint gold RH only missing fenders it would be worth it. But I'm glad the white fenders are original. I didn't remember if they were or not. I love the look of them on that bike.

BigChief 05-07-17 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 19565686)
Here's an interesting bike I put together a couple of years ago.
A 1972 Raleigh built Glider converted to a 2 speed kick back.

Cost Breakdown:

1973 Raleigh Glider bicycle @ $75.00 ($50.00, accounting for parts removed)
1967 Torpedo 2 speed kick back hub/coaster brake @ $75.00
Vintage Ideal (French) saddle @ $20.00
NOS Nitto drop bars @ $5.00
Front hand brake for safety @ $5.00
Aluminum stem @ $10.00
New chain and tires @ $40.00
I should point out that the bike as purchased was a fairly complete 3 speed so some of those parts have been
re- purposed or stored.

I like the oldtimey look of the drop bars with grips instead of tape. Unfortunately, my scorcher project will have to have all rounders. I can't put much time on drop bars these days without aggravating the ole' rhumitz. Shouldn't complain. Glad to still be riding after all these years. Looking forward to scorchin again, even if it's upright.

gster 05-07-17 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 19566398)
I like the oldtimey look of the drop bars with grips instead of tape. Unfortunately, my scorcher project will have to have all rounders. I can't put much time on drop bars these days without aggravating the ole' rhumitz. Shouldn't complain. Glad to still be riding after all these years. Looking forward to scorchin again, even if it's upright.

I have to agree with you. I like the look of the drop bars but can't spend too much time on them.
I'm much happier sitting up.

gster 05-07-17 05:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
1972 Raleigh Sports Update

All in all a very quick and easy turnaround on this one.

I think my camera's on a strange setting....
Luckily, the bike was very complete and original to start with.

Costs:

-Bike purchase @ $150.00

-New Tires @ $32.00

-New tubes @ $10.00

-New Cables @ $4.00

-New cotters and brake pads @ $16.00

-New ferrels and cable ends @ $2.00

-Supplies @ $5.00

TOTAL: $219.00
From stock I pulled some period pedals, a couple of cable guides and an old Wrights saddle.

I re used the original ribbed cable housings as well as the 3 speed cable.

This number does not reflect any labour.

Still to finish:

-Attach rat trap

-Attach kick stand

-Perhaps attach lock

arcocelli 05-07-17 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1973 Raleigh Sports. Picked this one up this weekend. I've done a minimal amount of cleaning, replaced the cables, tires, etc. Waiting on a new shifter cable and I should be able to take it out for a test ride!

gster 05-07-17 06:06 PM

Trigger Position

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone ever seen a trigger mounted like this?

3speedslow 05-07-17 06:18 PM

That looks like the ones orientated to go on drop bars. What happened to the heron on the light bracket? Get bent down...

gster 05-07-17 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by arcocelli (Post 19566889)
1973 Raleigh Sports. Picked this one up this weekend. I've done a minimal amount of cleaning, replaced the cables, tires, etc. Waiting on a new shifter cable and I should be able to take it out for a test ride!

Coffee Time.

BigChief 05-07-17 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 19566894)
Anyone ever seen a trigger mounted like this?

Hard to see how anyone would find that convenient, but someone did. Guess he missed this factory advisory showing "the correct position of the handlebar flick trigger control".
http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.co...os/pic-517.jpg

Velocivixen 05-07-17 07:13 PM

@gster - nice work! I love the coffee & green. Nice and luxurious looking.

I'm thinking about building a set of 20" (406) wheels for my Raleigh Twenty. I've built 20 (ISO 451) for the R20 I powder coated; I have one that's pristine and all original (406); and this one that was a mess, but has a front dynohub. I like the idea of having big, fat tires on it.

So, lots of folks use Sun Rhyno Lite rims since they're sort of box rimmed looking. Not as wide as the originals. Sun also has Rhyno Lite XL which are a bit wider. They have all chrome ones but don't want that, just silver. Seems like I'm finding lots of black. I may end up modifying this bike some....

Thoughts? Photos? I've scoured all the "usual" sites for Raleigh Twentys, but wanted your thoughts.

adventurepdx 05-07-17 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 19566391)
Big price, but they are super clean. If you had a near mint gold RH only missing fenders it would be worth it. But I'm glad the white fenders are original. I didn't remember if they were or not. I love the look of them on that bike.

Worth it to some, but not to me. I'm a bit more pragmatic when it comes to stuff like this. I know someone will shell out a hundred bucks because they are "just right," but I'd rather just get something that works and looks appropriate.

To be honest (and this may mean stones will be lobbed in my general direction), I'm not that into the Raleigh style fenders. When they are in good shape and already on the bike (like they are with my Superbe), sure, I'll keep them on. But if I have the "blank canvas", I'm not going to go out of my way. In fact, I'd rather just get a set of chrome fenders. The Walds are nice, and I've had the Velo Orange ones on a three speed as well. (Just look for the 650B size.) If I really wanted to spend money on vintage fenders, I'd try to find a set of nice white Bluemels like what's on that gold Robin Hood.

arex 05-07-17 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 19567047)

I'm thinking about building a set of 20" (406) wheels for my Raleigh Twenty. I've built 20 (ISO 451) for the R20 I powder coated; I have one that's pristine and all original (406); and this one that was a mess, but has a front dynohub. I like the idea of having big, fat tires on it.

So, lots of folks use Sun Rhyno Lite rims since they're sort of box rimmed looking. Not as wide as the originals. Sun also has Rhyno Lite XL which are a bit wider. They have all chrome ones but don't want that, just silver. Seems like I'm finding lots of black. I may end up modifying this bike some....

Thoughts? Photos? I've scoured all the "usual" sites for Raleigh Twentys, but wanted your thoughts.

Rhynolites are what I used on Linda's R20, seemed to work out pretty well...they could support my fat butt without creaking. The guy at the LBS who built the wheels says he likes working with the rims.

gster 05-08-17 04:09 AM

Thank you Velocivixen for your kind words.
I've never built a wheel but it's on my list of things to try. I generally like to use the steel rims that came with the bike.
The Coffee Sports' rims were quite true and cleaned up nicely.

BigChief 05-08-17 06:58 AM

I don't know much about 20" wheels except from what I remember from my days at the LBS, but I'm looking forward to seeing your project. And, since you have 20s with both 406 and 451s, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on the difference between them.

BigChief 05-08-17 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 19567340)
Worth it to some, but not to me. I'm a bit more pragmatic when it comes to stuff like this. I know someone will shell out a hundred bucks because they are "just right," but I'd rather just get something that works and looks appropriate.

To be honest (and this may mean stones will be lobbed in my general direction), I'm not that into the Raleigh style fenders. When they are in good shape and already on the bike (like they are with my Superbe), sure, I'll keep them on. But if I have the "blank canvas", I'm not going to go out of my way. In fact, I'd rather just get a set of chrome fenders. The Walds are nice, and I've had the Velo Orange ones on a three speed as well. (Just look for the 650B size.) If I really wanted to spend money on vintage fenders, I'd try to find a set of nice white Bluemels like what's on that gold Robin Hood.

I try to keep overall costs within what I figure I could reasonably get back from a local craigslist ad, but sometimes I go over. I'm going underwater on my scorcher project for sure. All in all, it's not an expensive hobby.