Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Training Status??? (IV) (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1021397)

mike868y 12-01-15 08:12 AM

no commute today as it's supposed to be raining this afternoon (40F and rain sounds like an incredible way to get sick) and a little too cold this AM to convince me to get out there to train. hit the rollers for a 3*20' set. first time rollering in the new apartment (did it in the basement). no complaints from the people who live on the first floor so that's good.

dz_nuzz 12-01-15 08:27 AM

I was supposed to take an off day today so I did the same as Mikey, minus the rollering. Tomorrow is trainer time in the morning and probably more driving in *sigh*. I really hate driving my car. Interestingly enough I am in that honeymoon phase with my trainer right now, everything seems so great when I am on the trainer, so easy to hit intervals, no cars. It is gonna get old in about a month and then I will start hating it.

mike868y 12-01-15 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by dz_nuzz (Post 18356929)
I was supposed to take an off day today so I did the same as Mikey, minus the rollering. Tomorrow is trainer time in the morning and probably more driving in *sigh*. I really hate driving my car. Interestingly enough I am in that honeymoon phase with my trainer right now, everything seems so great when I am on the trainer, so easy to hit intervals, no cars. It is gonna get old in about a month and then I will start hating it.

hah same. i never listen to music when riding outside so it's kind of nice to have some time to listen to tunes I haven't heard in a while.

notwist 12-01-15 09:48 AM

trainer season starts tonight in earnest: 60' with 2x20 tempo

grolby 12-01-15 10:08 AM

Cyber Mondayed myself a cheap set of folding rollers. Haven't had a set in over six years, now. Preeetttyy excited about it. So I'll be ready for TRAINING when they arrive.

Ygduf 12-01-15 11:53 AM

5 miles in 20 minutes today. Only 3 minutes slower than my typical commute in. Road pain is way worse than the trainer now though...

caloso 12-01-15 11:55 AM

Cold. Not as cold as yesterday, but still pretty damn cold. 2x30' @ 90%-ish

mattm 12-01-15 11:56 AM

Slept in this morning, training fail.

Perhaps can redeem something on the rollers tonight..

globecanvas 12-01-15 12:41 PM

36F and raining. This is just about the only weather I won't ride in. I really wanted to ride. Instead I did 2 days worth of aggro strength exercises.

Last year I managed to stay off the trainer until January 13. I'd be really happy to make it that far, or farther.

TMonk 12-01-15 12:56 PM

cold here, but probably not as cold as caloso.

2hrs featuring 2x30 at 92%. The legs are starting to get a little stiff and sore, but I was able to complete the workout without any difficulty.

Tomorrow: 4hrs mid z2, harder on climbs
Th: 1hr mtb, as easy as possible
F: off
S: 5hrs low z2
Su: 3hrs at the highest pace I can manage.

Next week: Rest!

rideaz 12-01-15 04:26 PM

Today might have been the coldest I've ridden in. It was somewhere between 28-33 degrees depending if we were in the golf course area or in a neighborhood. I wasn't freezing because I dressed appropriately but I never really warmed up or broke a sweat. It got even colder at sunrise. I'm so envious when I see people's afternoon rides on Strava. This morning at 5am was my one shot at riding.

misterwaterfall 12-01-15 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by rideaz (Post 18358371)
Today might have been the coldest I've ridden in. It was somewhere between 28-33 degrees depending if we were in the golf course area or in a neighborhood. I wasn't freezing because I dressed appropriately but I never really warmed up or broke a sweat. It got even colder at sunrise. I'm so envious when I see people's afternoon rides on Strava. This morning at 5am was my one shot at riding.

I rode with ski gloves over my regular cold weather gloves(the regulars are usually good until sub 30) a couple times 2 winters ago. When my hands started going number with that set up I called it a day and hustled home.

mattm 12-01-15 08:18 PM

Skipped out of work early, got in 1.5 hours of hammerage.

"cold" out!

tetonrider 12-01-15 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by dz_nuzz (Post 18356929)

it really is a ton of quality time, for sure. you may not get so sick of it. i find that when i'm in that in-between season where sometimes i can ride outside and sometimes not, riding the trainer feels like accepting defeat, but once i'm exclusively riding the trainer, it's not so bad.

(i realize you commute but not sure if that is year-round; if so, you may never have that 'resigning myself to ride exclusively inside' breakthrough. :))

tetonrider 12-01-15 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by globecanvas (Post 18357730)
36F and raining. This is just about the only weather I won't ride in. I really wanted to ride. Instead I did 2 days worth of aggro strength exercises.

Last year I managed to stay off the trainer until January 13. I'd be really happy to make it that far, or farther.

that's the worst. i'd rather have it be a degree or 2 colder and snowing than just above freezing and rain.

mattm 12-01-15 11:06 PM

Just set up wider kreitler rollers; the "hotdog" ones I had before were so skinny it got annoying after 30 mins or so.

new ones are about a mile wide!!

mike868y 12-02-15 06:21 AM

No active rain this morning but it's supposed to rain this afternoon. Drove to work with the intention to ride from the office. Roads were super wet though and it was cold enough (and I was sufficiently unprepared) that after about 5 minutes I was shivering and miserable. Turned around. Should have stuck to my original plan to ride the rollers. Good thing it's only December, I guess. Need to start getting my stuff together again.

Wylde06 12-02-15 08:14 AM

Nashbar has their rollers on sale right now for $120 if anyone was looking to get a cheaper set. I have the same set and they work just fine (haven't used anything else though, so my experience is limited)

TheKillerPenguin 12-02-15 08:25 AM

Are they loud? 3rd floor walk up, don't want to piss off the neighbors more than I already do.

Opener type thingies today. Power test tomorrow + volume for like 4hrs total. Then 4hrs Fri, Sat, Sun. Then I retreat for a week and lick my wounds.

Wylde06 12-02-15 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin (Post 18359766)
Are they loud? 3rd floor walk up, don't want to piss off the neighbors more than I already do.

I don't think they are that loud...but I also use them on a concrete floor in the garage right now. Not sure how they would be in an apartment.

gsteinb 12-02-15 08:55 AM

violence

doing all the winter **** your old wives' tales say not to.

TheKillerPenguin 12-02-15 08:57 AM

Fudgy is coaching you now?!

grolby 12-02-15 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Wylde06 (Post 18359737)
Nashbar has their rollers on sale right now for $120 if anyone was looking to get a cheaper set. I have the same set and they work just fine (haven't used anything else though, so my experience is limited)

Performance has a folding set for $150, which is what I went for. They had $20 additional off plus free shipping deal on Monday, don't know if that's gone for good or what. Anyway, I figured a set that were easier to throw in the car were probably worth another $30.

Wylde06 12-02-15 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by grolby (Post 18360059)
Performance has a folding set for $150, which is what I went for. They had $20 additional off plus free shipping deal on Monday, don't know if that's gone for good or what. Anyway, I figured a set that were easier to throw in the car were probably worth another $30.

I didnt realize they didnt fold up. A few more bucks for a folding set is definitely worth it

Hermes 12-02-15 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin (Post 18359863)
Fudgy is coaching you now?!

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...pse41523ff.gif

mattm 12-02-15 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin (Post 18359766)

Opener type thingies today. Power test tomorrow + volume for like 4hrs total. Then 4hrs Fri, Sat, Sun. Then I retreat for a week and lick my wounds.

Thank you for being a good neighbor.

I can't speak for any other roller types, but I can't imagine any roller brand is quiet enough at high power.

It's the vibration that seems to be "loud" when I'm on my rollers, not the actual sound of the rollers.

Even with some kind of dampening mat I would think your neighbors would not appreciate your rollering activities late at night or early in the morning.

Ygduf 12-02-15 11:24 AM

trainer = 2x20 all winter. come back with a better ftp and the vO2 will work itself out. After hearing it from Metcalf himself, I'm a believer.

TheKillerPenguin 12-02-15 02:54 PM

It's wet out.

mike868y 12-02-15 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by mattm (Post 18360381)
I can't speak for any other roller types, but I can't imagine any roller brand is quiet enough at high power.

yeah, i have to drop my psi to like 50-60 for roller work. part of the reason i'm trying to upgrade to a set with a resistance unit.

Ygduf 12-02-15 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin (Post 18361111)
It's wet out.

2x20's on your trainer. you can paypal me.