Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

ls01 04-05-20 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21402523)
Pocket billiards, as it were. Give a monk a break, why dontcha?

hey, I dont judge....

ls01 04-05-20 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 21402649)
I see (either in person or on Strava) so many people I know riding in small groups beyond their own household that I wonder at times if I’m misunderstanding what it is we’re all supposed to be doing.

No, you are correct. I just had a hissy fit myself over on face book. Someone thought small groups were ok if they were gravel rides. We are doomed as a species.

ls01 04-05-20 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21402508)
Who would like to see a really lovely picture of my calico kitty?

I.... ummm...

ls01 04-05-20 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21402524)

like going to the beach/park here. It's just madness.

Velo Vol 04-05-20 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21402669)
Someone thought small groups were ok if they were gravel rides. We are doomed as a species.

The end is here.

Heathpack 04-05-20 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21402669)
No, you are correct. I just had a hissy fit myself over on face book. Someone thought small groups were ok if they were gravel rides. We are doomed as a species.

Its interesting. Seems to me that most people can excuse doing “just that one thing” that it is they personally want to do.

I had a friend (?) post to Strava yesterday his 125 mile ride with his buddy, after posting back to back centuries last weekend with the same guy. They delusionally are trying to keep their “race fitness” up.

A professional colleague, one who has been instrumental on a national level of helping to articulate what exactly in an “emergent or urgent” surgery for the American College of Veterinary Surgeons (ie so he full well understands everything that’s happening), was bitterly *****ing on Strava about getting dropped from his group ride. Not really dropped but he was POed big time because the people he was meeting up with rolled past him at the meetup and then he spent 90 min trying the catch them but couldn’t. Oy.

I ran into a good friend out yesterday at the car wreck site. He was out with two friends. He’s a very reasonable upstanding citizen, Eagle Scout kind of guy, stepping up to a leadership role in local bike advocacy.

Friend with asthma told me how she had to turn down a small group ride invite yet again yesterday.

I cannot unsee what I’ve seen, or unknow what I know.

So. It affects what I think of all these people. Not that I think they’re stupid but more “can I really respect these peopke’s Inability to make a trivial sacrifice for the greater good?”

It so common though that I think it must be some aspect of the common human psychological makeup that I’m just failing to grasp.

Trsnrtr 04-05-20 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 21402644)
Bitter in an acrid way. I like bitter but not acrid.

And muddy.

Yep, it is muddy if the grind isn't proper.

Trsnrtr 04-05-20 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 21402661)
The sad thing is you know how it will go: they themselves will develop inapparent illness, infect someone a step removed, that person will die, but it will never be traced back to the small group ride.

I've tried to explain this to some people and I'm just an ******* in their opinion.

seedsbelize 04-05-20 08:47 PM

My sister just told me gas is $1 35/gal. In Indianapolis. Is that so across the board?

Heathpack 04-05-20 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21402732)
My sister just told me gas is $1 35/gal. In Indianapolis. Is that so across the board?

lol not in California

Heathpack 04-05-20 08:54 PM

For the first time in forever I skipped the Sunday farmers market. I had an Instacart delivery set up for Wed and I did a small pantry order from a local restaurant to tide me over. Then I managed to get my Instacart delivered very moved up to today. And then a local restaurant posted a family meal deal thing to FB: meatloaf, roasted carrots and squash, peas, mashed potatoes, $30 for enough to “feed 3-4”. Lol on that head count, definitely more like feeds 6.

So now I have 3x food and am swimming in broccoli.

Heathpack 04-05-20 08:56 PM

Hey seedsbelize

I decided against the orange tree. I want to pick it out but don’t want to interact with anyone at the nursery.

And the thought actually crossed my mind: who knows what will become of my job, maybe we’ll lose the house, no point in planting a nice tree and not ever real the benefit. #sad

LesterOfPuppets 04-05-20 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21402732)

I saw $2.28 at one of the cheapest stations in town. A weird Mobil station where only half the pumps max work at any given moment, and they have a Bitcoin ATM.

seedsbelize 04-05-20 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 21402744)
Hey seedsbelize

I decided against the orange tree. I want to pick it out but don’t want to interact with anyone at the nursery.

And the thought actually crossed my mind: who knows what will become of my job, maybe we’ll lose the house, no point in planting a nice tree and not ever real the benefit. #sad

It's all good, as far as the orange tree goes. The rest, not so much.

Velo Vol 04-05-20 09:09 PM

Velo Vol rides alone.

#StopTheSpread

Velo Vol 04-05-20 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21402746)
I saw $2.28 at one of the cheapest stations in town. A weird Mobil station where only half the pumps max work at any given moment, and they have a Bitcoin ATM.

Can you pay for petro with Bitcoin?

rjones28 04-05-20 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21402524)

Alrighty then.

rjones28 04-05-20 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21402573)
Poor Bike Ride Planning: A Cautionary Tale

Today I failed to adequately pre-hydrate for my ride.

As the miles (slowly) went by, my mouth became dry. I thought about getting a drink. But then I HTFU and dismissed those foolish thoughts. It wasn't even 80F; I have standards to uphold.

The End.

Sad

rjones28 04-05-20 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21402595)
Addendum I

This was not me.

https://twitter.com/wbir/status/1246964359655567360

Addendum II

I saw walkers and mostly recreational cyclists on the Farragut greenway (as a serious cyclist, I was on the road, of course). I did not see anyone wearing a mask. A cuteish female waved at me. I saw an Asian jogging and thought of WhyFi .

The End.

Cool story bro.

LesterOfPuppets 04-05-20 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21402765)
Can you pay for petro with Bitcoin?

I'll ask tomorrow when I fill up the Montana. I imagine the Bitcoin ATM spits out US Dollars, with which you could purchase gasoline.

rjones28 04-05-20 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 21402644)
Bitter in an acrid way. I like bitter but not acrid.

And muddy.

I make French coffee every day. Not muddy, acid, or bitter.

rjones28 04-05-20 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21402760)

Same as it ever was.

#trendsetter

HTupolev 04-05-20 10:28 PM

Yeah, here's a photo I took on my ride today when cycling past a closed MUP trailhead parking lot.

https://i.imgur.com/WWkT9rd.jpg

LesterOfPuppets 04-05-20 10:36 PM

It's just insane. Who knew closing all the bars, gyms and restaurants would instantly turn everyone into avid MTBers and hikers???

Even the semi-secret MTB trails are getting kinda crowded here, so I try to ride the super secret ones now.

My closest contact was approx 30' today, not too bad but I still wasn't a fan of it, especially considering wind direction.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e8067e6b73.jpg

LesterOfPuppets 04-05-20 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21402573)
Poor Bike Ride Planning: A Cautionary Tale

Today I failed to adequately pre-hydrate for my ride.

As the miles (slowly) went by, my mouth became dry. I thought about getting a drink. But then I HTFU and dismissed those foolish thoughts. It wasn't even 80F; I have standards to uphold.

The End.

I had a hydration problem of sorts today. I had plenty of water for the short ride, but during the ride I noticed something odd. My water bottle seemed to be spritzing my legs more than usual on the rough stuff. I'm like "Well, it is rough in places and I'm riding full rigid with 41mm tyres..." Then I stopped for a bit and noticed liquid dripping out of my handlebar bag! OMG, noooo! That's where my mid-ride beer was stored :eek: So I only had approx 1/2 a midride beer and I didn't drink it in a totally idyllic spot on the trail as I had planned. :(

I'll have to do a post-mortem on the can tomorrow. There were no metal object in the bag, nor any sharp objects of any material, just two Honey Stinger gel packs and one Kind bar. Mysterious.